Sign in to follow this  
MarcAnton

No bullet-impact feedback ?

Dont want this to be forgotten.

Maybe now that the CTD issue isnt as much of a pandemic and the trackIr issue is resolved, they'll have time to look at this mre closely. We know Jason is definitely aware of it-

I am definitely hearing hit sounds from gunfire; haven't definitively tested flak but will by the weekend.

Tried to check my track and could not play it with this patch.  I set up the same example and still no hit sounds.  Until something is said about it in patch notes, I doubt it will get fixed. 

Using 1.005 I was flying in mp with canopy open and took damage that set my engine on fire and never heard a thing.  Have in-game sound at 100%.

I am always surprised seeing my wing full of holes and not hearing the impact. I can hear the impacts on other aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Using 100% sound ingame. 

Those sounds are new for me... i've never hear them before.  :(

It tends to be that Ihear shots on planes I do hit or the debris that hits me after louder than when I get shot myself, but I'm not sure that I not hearing any shots on myself. I strongly suggest it hardwear and connection related

Some times I fire stealth bullets.  They make no sound when I hit my foes.  This allows me to get more shots and so give me a better chance of downing said foe.

Using 100% sound ingame. 

and you find that satisfactory? you hear exactly two impacts "tak -tak". I don't wanna even know by how many "unheared" bullets you got hit in this situation, at least 10-20. In addition the sound is definitely not loud enough. It should be really scary, like in Clod. Clod is definitely not the reference in most of sim areas, but definitely in the sounds department. I hope that the BoS sound engine reaches the Clod one sometimes in the future..

• Upvote 1

Using 1.005 I was flying in mp with canopy open and took damage that set my engine on fire and never heard a thing.  Have in-game sound at 100%.

The sound of the impacts sound similar to me as just having the canopy open at speed (like a loud hit that never ends).  Do you also not hear hits with the canopy closed?

Is the canopy open in that video?  If so, forget this post.

Edited by avlSteve

There are obviously issues with the sound engine in that some people do not hear hit sounds at all, but some people do, so the sounds are there..whether it is a hardware/driver compatibility issue or to do with the sound mixing and how the "pilot" interacts with sounds within the created "sound bubble" I don't know, but it has been acknowledged and I hope some fixes will come at some stage.

However a lot of criticism has been made of over Hollywood damage/smoke effects and to a certain point I agree with that, some toning down of fluid, vapour and smoke effects is needed

I would not like the sounds to fall into the same contention, though..a cannon round hitting and exploding will be heard, and felt to a certain extent, I have returned from a flight and found (rifle caibre) holes in the airframe and was never aware of the hits and this in a quieter environment than a WWII fighter .

When a bullet passes through a soft aluminium skin it makes a bang, quite obvious, but when you are wearing a flying helmet and have an unsilenced 1500hp engine 3 feet in front, or on either side of you and combined with effect of 400-500kmh airflow things will be a bit more subdued.

Perhaps hit sounds do need to be a bit louder than reality because of the lack of feeling a virtual pilot is prevented from having, and this is a very valid point, but if I was standing next to a high powered aero engine at anywhere near continuous power and someone fired (from a say 300m distance) a magazine of 30/50 cal into a wing/fuselage structure placed next to it, I am not sure it would be the terrifying (sound) experience people are expecting.

Anyway here's hoping that hit sounds are sorted in a future patch to everyone's expectations (but just personally hoping for more historic than Hollywood)

Cheers Dakpilot

There are obviously issues with the sound engine in that some people do not hear hit sounds at all, but some people do, so the sounds are there..whether it is a hardware/driver compatibility issue or to do with the sound mixing and how the "pilot" interacts with sounds within the created "sound bubble" I don't know, but it has been acknowledged and I hope some fixes will come at some stage.

However a lot of criticism has been made of over Hollywood damage/smoke effects and to a certain point I agree with that, some toning down of fluid, vapour and smoke effects is needed

I would not like the sounds to fall into the same contention, though..a cannon round hitting and exploding will be heard, and felt to a certain extent, I have returned from a flight and found (rifle caibre) holes in the airframe and was never aware of the hits and this in a quieter environment than a WWII fighter .

When a bullet passes through a soft aluminium skin it makes a bang, quite obvious, but when you are wearing a flying helmet and have an unsilenced 1500hp engine 3 feet in front, or on either side of you and combined with effect of 400-500kmh airflow things will be a bit more subdued.

Perhaps hit sounds do need to be a bit louder than reality because of the lack of feeling a virtual pilot is prevented from having, and this is a very valid point, but if I was standing next to a high powered aero engine at anywhere near continuous power and someone fired (from a say 300m distance) a magazine of 30/50 cal into a wing/fuselage structure placed next to it, I am not sure it would be the terrifying (sound) experience people are expecting.

Anyway here's hoping that hit sounds are sorted in a future patch to everyone's expectations (but just personally hoping for more historic than Hollywood)

Cheers Dakpilot

By that bolded statement, a machine gunner in a tail gun of a bomber should not be heard from inside your plane, and your bullets striking another plane should not be heard either, yet both are. This is just a odd as not hearing anything striking your plane, or even a small click sound.

This sound bubble seems to be the issue, especially for people using 7.1 sound. This issue might not be a priority, but it is very big for some people like myself.

• Upvote 3

With all the "teething" problems and disputed implementations we have had, this one for me is the deal breaker, honestly. It has happened all to often just about every time I fly and really spoils the game for me at the moment.

I can live with all else but not this. I can be flying and going to engage, get a few good hits in and then prepare for another run, all of a sudden my engine starts to act up then fails. I have obviously been hit but never hear a thing, talk about a game breaker.

I can hear the plane I am engaging fire his gun from pretty far away no problem, but to not ever being able to hear my own plane getting hit is just not acceptable for me in a flying type game.

I am obviously not sure how loud these impact sounds would be in RL, but I am pretty sure I would be able to hear at least something.

Has this problem been acknowledged? The last I saw was Jason saying all was fine with him, so that leads me to believe that a fix is not high up on the "list" I might be wrong about this for obvious reasons though.

Please devs this has to be put right, I realize it will be difficult to pin down but for this type of game it surely is one of the core elements especially fighting other planes.

I have tried all the suggested fixes to no avail, early in pre-access I could hear very faint hit sounds but they were folk complaining about them back then so it is definitely not a new issue.

Thanks,

Mick. :)

IIRC Jason initially made the "all is fine" statement, but he made it clear he was only referring to his experiences. I don't think he was denying there was a problem.

He also said to the effect that the priority for the moment was cronic CTDs and the TrackIR cock-up, and once these things were under control there may be an effort to revisit the sound issue.

I also definitely don't hear impact sounds a lot of times.  It just happened to me in MP twice.  Second time I saw tracers flying by, next thing I know it was hot and bright yellow in the cockpit.

Sometimes I hear them.  Using Bose headset through a Lexicon Lambda interface.  I hear everything else great.

I'm sure they'll address it as soon as they can get to it.

Edited by avlSteve

these criticisms i gather were made by actual ww2 veterans who knew the exact amount of fire, black fume, vapor fuel trails and smoke? or just the everyday armchair warrior?

because all the footage of ww2 aerial battles i've seen had more particles and smoke, not less.

these criticisms i gather were made by actual ww2 veterans who knew the exact amount of fire, black fume, vapor fuel trails and smoke? or just the everyday armchair warrior?

because all the footage of ww2 aerial battles i've seen had more particles and smoke, not less.

ALCON,

I believe there is another entire thread devoted to "Hollywood Effects". Please keep this one on topic, which is the hit sound problem. People are eager to see this resolved and check back here periodically for the experiences of others and to give the devs visibility to the fact that this problem needs their attention.Let's keep focused guys-thank you.

Edited by chris455

i can hear VERY faint hit noises on my plane, theyre inaudible on the La-5 since that engine is louder.

maybe they just need to increase the volume for this specific sounds

im using 100% in soud settings and a bit rate of "medium"

i can hear VERY faint hit noises on my plane, theyre inaudible on the La-5 since that engine is louder.

maybe they just need to increase the volume for this specific sounds

im using 100% in soud settings and a bit rate of "medium"

Just curious - why are you using "medium" for bit rate, and do you have the same lack of sound issue when you run on high bit rate sound setting?  IIRC, in RoF they said that as you lowered sound quality setting the game would produce fewer sounds (i.e., certain sounds were no longer heard), so maybe hit sounds aren't being produced at lower sound qualities?  I'm running on high settings and don't have any problems hearing hit sounds (at least on stereo and quad speaker settings - I don't have the hardware to test the 5.1 or 7.1 settings).

Just curious - why are you using "medium" for bit rate, and do you have the same lack of sound issue when you run on high bit rate sound setting?  IIRC, in RoF they said that as you lowered sound quality setting the game would produce fewer sounds (i.e., certain sounds were no longer heard), so maybe hit sounds aren't being produced at lower sound qualities?  I'm running on high settings and don't have any problems hearing hit sounds (at least on stereo and quad speaker settings - I don't have the hardware to test the 5.1 or 7.1 settings).

I've tried all of them and the only thing that works for bullet hit sounds (not flak) is Jedders ad hoc fix-

and you find that satisfactory? you hear exactly two impacts "tak -tak". I don't wanna even know by how many "unheared" bullets you got hit in this situation, at least 10-20. In addition the sound is definitely not loud enough. It should be really scary, like in Clod. Clod is definitely not the reference in most of sim areas, but definitely in the sounds department. I hope that the BoS sound engine reaches the Clod one sometimes in the future..

Not sure how many hits would have been taken, but 2 looks about right.

The bogey is taking a very high deflection shot (near enough 90%), meaning the target only flies through the line of fire for a very short time.  Let us say he is going at 360km/h, which conveniently works out as 100 m/s.  Target is a Yak 8.5 m long, so  he will fly through the bullet stream in 0.09 seconds.

Not sure what the shooter is, video a little unclear, or if it is firing all guns or only MG. I can only see a pair of tracers, so it may well have only fired MGs.

MGs rate of fire I think is about 1200 rounds per minute. Assuming 2 guns, how many shots maximum can land in 0.09 seconds? Answer, 3.4

The shooter cannot get all his rounds on the plane of the target: you can see the first tracers missing high, so the number of actual hits would be lower than 3.4

2 looks about right to me. Obviously if he was firing more guns he might get more hits, but remember a cannon with a rate of fire of 700 rounds/minute cannot get more than 1 hit, since the time between rounds is also 0.09 seconds (a strange coincidence).

Looks like BoS has the number of hits about right in this case. How likely 2 hits are to both wound the pilot and damage the fuel tank is another matter.

Edited by unreasonable

Those sounds are pretty bad, nothing like bullets hitting a plane.

Someone shot at you in a plane? Please share your experiences with us!  :biggrin:

I've got the game sound turned down in windows sound mixer so I realised this might not sound the same for you as it did for me. But I promise you, It was really loud! (That's why I panicked & pressed Esc to end it.)  

I'm also using a headphone amplifier, I think the mix is pretty good now since I've switched to the amp instead. The mobo sound card definitely had problems driving my headphones before.

If you can't hear the impacts then could you also record it? Or is it that you dislike them? (valid criticism) 

• Upvote 1

S!

I had intermittent problems with the sounds, no matter what gimmick I tried. All the sudden smeared glass and missing a wing without a sound, another time could hear some bullets hit. Really a hit and miss regarding this sound issue.

• Upvote 1

It would be nice to have once jumped out of the airplane more wind sound and wind in the trees sound, when going down with the parachute (there is some but the level is really too low) and also when falling on the snow the ground impact sound is missing.  Regarding the sound effect of bullets or cannon shells they are too low in regard with other sounds I feel. If I go with high sound level the engine noise becomes completely deafening.

Now I flew in a propeller fighter trainer plane of the fifties and yes the engine noise is deafening. The metallic fuselage acts as a resonance chamber which amplifies noise. Bu I have no idea what would be the noise of exploding cannonshells or bullets perforating the metal of the fuselage or wings.

I know details, details, details, we want always more. 

I have a vague memory of reading of bomber crew saying that MG fire hitting the aircraft sounded like raindrops on a corrugated iron roof. I expect a cannon shell exploding would be completely different.

Dont want this to be forgotten.

Yeah.I agree completely.....We need this to be remembered....(what's he on about? Do you know? No? Thank Allah for that, I don't either).

I had wrote earlier in the thread that not hearing impact sounds was the biggest issue for me with this game but in fact I have been hearing hit sounds (quite loud) in the last few days I have been playing, I have not altered my sound values at all.

This is in SP (not sure bout MP)and seems strange that sometimes they are there then for no reason the are gone, hope they stay for the time being as it is a whole lot better actually hearing when you get hit, weird though.

Mick. :)

Yeah.I agree completely.....We need this to be remembered....(what's he on about? Do you know? No? Thank Allah for that, I don't either).

I think he's wanting to keep this thread alive to give the devs visibility to the fact the some of us are having issues with the sounds.

Someone shot at you in a plane? Please share your experiences with us!  :biggrin:

I've got the game sound turned down in windows sound mixer so I realised this might not sound the same for you as it did for me. But I promise you, It was really loud! (That's why I panicked & pressed Esc to end it.)  

I'm also using a headphone amplifier, I think the mix is pretty good now since I've switched to the amp instead. The mobo sound card definitely had problems driving my headphones before.

If you can't hear the impacts then could you also record it? Or is it that you dislike them? (valid criticism) 

Yeah they did onboard chinooks.

Engine sounds in single engine aircraft drowned out most other sounds. Bomber aircraft are different, the engines are out on the wings. Single engine, the engine is right in front of you and the exit (exhaust) of all the noise is going right past the cockpit. Many accounts I've read are no sounds and suddenly the aircraft is on fire, or feeling a bang and then smoke everywhere.

"So I pressed all the triggers and fired everything I had. Just as we were about to collide the Russian suddenly pulled up. At the same instant there was a thump and oil covered my windscreen." P. 44 The War Diary of Helmut Lipfert after a head-on with a P-39.

Not quite the "holy crap the trumpets of jericho are all around me!" so many claim.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Engine sounds in single engine aircraft drowned out most other sounds. Bomber aircraft are different, the engines are out on the wings. Single engine, the engine is right in front of you and the exit (exhaust) of all the noise is going right past the cockpit. Many accounts I've read are no sounds and suddenly the aircraft is on fire, or feeling a bang and then smoke everywhere.

But we can get other accounts that say they could hear impacts,thats only part of the problem with ingame  sound.I can hear the enemy plane shooting at me, i can hear my bullet impacts on the plane im shooting at.

That is an issue, I've always maintained you shouldn't hear much outside of the cockpit. The bullet strikes as you close on an aircraft are due to the sound engine's handling of the speed of sound. You are closing on an aircraft and hitting it, the sound is played at the point of impact for some reason, which means that you are "flying" into the sound wave because it is faster going rearwards of that aircraft while your aircraft is flying towards it.

I don't know why the sound engine does it, but it does and it'd be nice to get that fixed but it might be on the sound engine developers to fix that - and I hope they do.

However, it shouldn't sound like a bass driven rave concert in your cockpit when you get shot up either.

Edited by FuriousMeow
  • Upvote 1

However, it shouldn't sound like a bass driven rave concert in your cockpit when you get shot up either.

Yes, yes it should. Especially when hitting the back plate or the engine of your plane.

For 2 reasons. 1. Its realistic. There are more accounts of people feeling and hearing bullets striking their fighter craft. 2. You cant feel being hit in a video game, and need the sound to make up for it.

The sound is borked for me and others. The excuses that you and others put out there as "realistic" not being able hear it is pretty much wiped out when you intorduce the fact you can hear the sound of a bombers MG or your bullets striking another plane.

Again, this issue has been there since I played the first time, and no real mention of it being a big deal. This is worrisome.

Just went through a entire weekend having a blast in MP. But not once did I hear my plane being hit. Have to depend on the headsup display to tell me that I've been hit. Big problem still.

• Upvote 4