Sign in to follow this  
MarcAnton

No bullet-impact feedback ?

Ok I have a QMB track where I fly behind a 111 in my la5 with low throttle, so it would be easy to hear.  I can even hear the gunner fire from the 111, but no hit sounds on my plane.  Just the notification that my engine had been hit.  I turn off and my windscreen is black. 

I zipped it up with 7 zip.  Maybe others can drop it in their tracks folder and see if they can hear anything. 

skirmish.2014-11-06_20-27-34_00.zip

I had the game volume turned down to an acceptable level, meaning so the engine sound didn't overwhelm TeamSpeak. I reset the mixer level to 30 per the tip. That's painfully loud in my headset, so I readjusted the mixer level down to 20-25. At that level I could finally hear rounds impacting. Who knew...anyway thanks for the tip.

Salute!

I hear hit sounds in SP just fine. Always have. Posts like this baffle me to be honest.

Jason

no mate,theres something not quite right with them.

SP and especially MP.

now let me say,ive got 3 mates with the game close by and its the same on their systems.

*thwack* sounds are whats either missing or there is a bug someplace with certain systems,

mind you im yet to hear any decent hit sounds on any pc ive used running BOS?

Hmm - went in to check the hit sounds, and they seem to be working fine for me.  I do have my sound volume set to 100 in game settings (didn't test it before I did that so not sure what it would be like without that).  Took up a Bf109 in a QMB duel mission against a Yak and just let it rake me several times - I didn't have any problem hearing my plane get hit (a lot), even over the engine noise and the radio chatter.  I was flying pretty slow and throttled down, so there wasn't as much other noise as usual perhaps, but the hit sounds were loud enough they seemed like they would be audible even at higher speeds.  I was going to run some more tests but got bitten by the Esc key bug and had to shut down BoS after alt-tabbing out, so I'll have to crank it back up to test again later.

The track file I recorded can be found here:  http://www.mediafire.com/download/zm2a7p2ym2gywyn/Panther's_Hit_Sounds_track_1.zip

I wonder if people who don't hear the sounds in their game would hear them on this track?

Ok I have a QMB track where I fly behind a 111 in my la5 with low throttle, so it would be easy to hear.  I can even hear the gunner fire from the 111, but no hit sounds on my plane.  Just the notification that my engine had been hit.  I turn off and my windscreen is black. 

I zipped it up with 7 zip.  Maybe others can drop it in their tracks folder and see if they can hear anything. 

I was going to check out your track to see if I could hear the hit sounds, but the .zip file seems to be a bunch of mission files instead of the track file(s) so I couldn't try it.

A frustrating evening...................

Tried every configuration in game, system, and 7.1 headphones I can think of.

I cannot hear any meaningful flak explosion sounds inside the 'pit, irrespective of how close they are.

I can hear them if I go external, but not inside the plane at all.

So, even using the ad hoc fix, and variations thereof, I still am not getting a full audio suite.

This cannot be what the devs intended...........................

Jason- this problem is very real for some of us. Please do what you can to help-

Thank you.

This is just a guess, but try not using a 7.1 setup. Just use a stereo setup and see if that helps. 

Even if this is a legit bug, it's not our focus at the moment. The guys are squashing CTD bugs so everyone is going to have to exercise some patience. Please try to understand.

Jason

Cheers Jason, even just knowing the devs are aware of this is good enough for me. This isn't a new development though as I can remember posts like this from a good many months ago, it is strange though as a while back I was hearing some sounds most of the time but now hardly ever if at all.

Will probably be quite tough to pin down a fix though, as it doesn't seem to happen every time and not to everyone, but hopefully some progress will be made on this issue, thanks.

Mick. :(

Basically one out of 50 times, i can hear impact sounds. Tried all known tricks (ingame volume 100% etc.), still doesn't work. This is in SP, i have not tested MP lately, but never heard impact sounds in MP when i tested it. This is only on my own plane, i can hear hits on other planes just fine.

I'm using a headset most of the, but i also hear nothing when using speakers. It's set to stereo in windows, no option to set it up in BoS afaik, so i'm assuming, it takes the windows settings then.

It was basically the same in RoF, but there it worked a bit better in SP. I still didn't hear hits every time though.

Setting in-game sound to 100% and then using the Windows volume mixer to bring the sound back down from eardrum-bleed levels has worked a treat for me! I hear every bleedin' "ping" of enemy hits now. But I think I preferred living in ignorance...

Edited by No601_Swallow
  • Upvote 1

Realtek HD

Audio Driver Version - 6.0.1.6657

Directx Version - Dx 11

Audio Controller - HD Audio

Audio Codec -  ALC898

I play with 7.1 surround sound on headphones only.  This also happens in QMB.  I like to set up 8 bombers and see how many I can shoot down before ammo runs dry.  It is most of the time sniper fire hits directly the engine and no sounds are heard.  Just the popup notification that your engine is damaged.  I can try to fly directly behind a bomber and record track, but like I said, I'm headphones only. 

Also note that the adjusting the mixer fix, is a no brainer for us TS users.  If you leave the game at anything greater than 30% mixer, one cannot hear TS at all.  The game volume drowns out everything.  I did this even before looking for a sound fix. 

when i play and use teamspeak i run the game sound through my open 5.1 system and the TS3 i run through headphones...it works great and add to the immersion IMO

~FTT

also FTR i use a buttkicker and that bring a lot of thing like taxiing to life because you "feel" the ground beneath you...they are worth the cash. they have cheaper ones for gaming but i have a musician grade BK mounted to the back of my seat and it rocks if mixed correctly. S!

~FTT

Maybe try this?  I had to place the track file inside this folder to zip it.  I'm guessing one can just drop the track file into their tracks game folder. 

New folder.zip

I've said this before and I'll say it again: this is the type of thing that must drive game developers to consoles! (note: I'm not saying that 1C777 is going or should go to consoles!) We seem to have at least three states right now relating to hit sounds:

1. Hit sounds work fine, what are you guys talking about?

2. Hit sounds only work with the 100% ingame sound work around

3. No hit sounds in game no matter what.

How do they fix that? What is the probability that the change that fixes it for you, breaks it for me? What is the root cause of the problem? Is it on their end or the users end? The various permutations of computer settings are nearly endless! And you got to get everything right for all those possibilities. BAH! I'd go to consoles too.

In case anyone is interested, I use an onboard sound system in stereo with headphones. I used to hear hit sounds just fine (if not way too often). Then they went away and couldn't hear them at all. Now I have to use the 100% work around. I would rather it go back the way it was as I don't like what that "fix" does to trying to hear my mates on TS.

ps keep focus on ctds for now, that is a much bigger problem (at least for me, I understand some people don't know what I'm talking about...and here we go again).

Did some test this morning just to be sure - and its definitly NOT ok. 

Soundblaster Z - Stereo - nothing special, kept it simple. Ingame 100 % sound highest bitrate

Ingame -SP, Quick Flight, Normal,Bf-109 F4 vs  1 Enemy Lagg coming from behind - There are ABSOLUTLY no HIt sounds at all. 

I see tracers and smoke trails and i can hear him shooting when he is at close range but there are no hit-sounds when he kill my wings or whatever.

No concussion, even when the fueltank gets hit and exploded with big flames and all i cant hear a damn sound inside the cockpit - but i see the burning flames iluminite my cockpit  :rolleyes:

There is no difference between SP or MP.

Did some test this morning just to be sure - and its definitly NOT ok. 

Soundblaster Z - Stereo - nothing special, kept it simple. Ingame 100 % sound highest bitrate

Ingame -SP, Quick Flight, Normal,Bf-109 F4 vs  1 Enemy Lagg coming from behind - There are ABSOLUTLY no HIt sounds at all. 

I see tracers and smoke trails and i can hear him shooting when he is at close range but there are no hit-sounds when he kill my wings or whatever.

No concussion, even when the fueltank gets hit and exploded with big flames and all i cant hear a damn sound inside the cockpit - but i see the burning flames iluminite my cockpit  :rolleyes:

There is no difference between SP or MP.

After setting ingame settings to max

Did you alt tab from the game while it is running and click on the speaker symbol in toolbar, then on mixer and adjust IL-2 volume level to max (watch your ears) close mixer, then back to game and adjust volume to normal listening level with system volume

Try this, works for me

Cheers Dakpilot

Yes i did that too but there is a problem with the code itself i guess. The difference between CoD and BoS impact-sounds is tremendous !

Edited by MarcAnton

This is just a guess, but try not using a 7.1 setup. Just use a stereo setup and see if that helps. 

Even if this is a legit bug, it's not our focus at the moment. The guys are squashing CTD bugs so everyone is going to have to exercise some patience. Please try to understand.

Jason

Jason,

I'll give that a go and report back-

Until this gets properly sorted, I think a worthy goal for the community would be to establish a range of potential temp fixes that people can try - especially the poor guys that aren't hearing anything- until the Devs have a chance to give this a look.

Thanks!

Disconnected my Razer Megalodon 7.1s, updated my RealTek drivers, used my old 2.1 speakers and gave it a go.

No joy.

I simply can't make out flak bursts when inside my plane.  Period. 

Bursts when outside the plane are very soft and nearly inudible, unless the actually hit you.

Tried many other ad hoc settings, including Dakpilots "100% Solution", again, lo luck.

I wonder if we could entice someone that says they are hearing everything ok, to post their sytem hardware/settings?

Yes i did that too but there is a problem with the code itself i guess. The difference between CoD and BoS impact-sounds is tremendous !

Really... ? I do have both, and while in CloD I dont hear the hit sounds on the 109(only clue i got hit is the leaking radiators), in Bos its somewhat random, sometimes I can hear clear and loud, sometimes I dont hear at all.  

Both games share the same problem.

Edited by istruba

Maybe try this?  I had to place the track file inside this folder to zip it.  I'm guessing one can just drop the track file into their tracks game folder. 

Snake - you need to include the mission folder, not just the trk file.  In your tracks folder you should have a subfolder with the same name as your track file - you need to include that subfolder in addition to the .trk file itself, or we can't play the track.  (take a look at the track package I posted about above).

Really... ? I do have both, and while in CloD I dont hear the hit sounds on the 109(only clue i got hit is the leaking radiators), in Bos its somewhat random, sometimes I can hear clear and loud, sometimes I dont hear at all.  

Both games share the same problem.

Interesting, i checked that several times with speakers and my Sennheiser Headset and with the Sennheiser and a special sound profile it was a LITTLE better during yesterdays MP´s session but not much and not like in CoD.

What i discovered was: the closer the enemy is (while he shoots at you) the better you can hear the impact sounds. And exactly that is the problem ! 

Edited by MarcAnton

Snake - you need to include the mission folder, not just the trk file.  In your tracks folder you should have a subfolder with the same name as your track file - you need to include that subfolder in addition to the .trk file itself, or we can't play the track.  (take a look at the track package I posted about above).

The first download should have the mission folder and the second download should have the track file.  Sorry.

Alright now for the breakthrough.  I hope.  Been doing a lot of testing with my track I recorded. 

I ran the track with 7.1 surround, and no hit sounds.

5.1 surround, and no hit sounds

quadraphonic, and no hit sounds

Now stereo, and . . . . and . . .  BAM, BAM, BAM.  There they are.  Clear and loud.  Tested everything once more to make sure and I was correct.  I only hear the hit sounds when in stereo.  So I started thinking why would this be the case.  So I went back to 7.1 surround and played around a bit, because stereo sound just sounds awful you know.  What I found out is interesting.   

If I watch the track and do not unlink my head movements I cannot not hear any hit sounds, because my head is facing forward.  Now if I unlink my head movements and look behind at my back wing or rear, I can hear the hit sounds.  They are clear and loud.  So then I went in my sound software and adjusted my room correction settings.  I turned my front speakers all the way down, and jacked up my rear-side speakers all the way up.  Then I tested the track again.  Now while facing forward I can hear the rear hit sounds.  (makes the game sound awful so this is not a option) 

So what do I think is going on?  Clearly in my track I get hit in the engine, which should put the sound of the hit right in front of my face.  But this is not happening.  The sound bubble is getting left behind the plane.  So the only way I can hear myself being hit is to look in the direction of the sound bubble.  That is most of the time behind the plane.  So how to solve the problem?   

Play with stereo sound.  uhhhh.  Not a option.

Play with my room correction settings all screwed up.  uhhhh.  Not a option. 

Always look behind me when I think I'm being hit.  lol  Not a option. 

I don't know.  The coding needs to placed so hit sounds always. . . always. . . always are played out the front speakers, or played out of all speakers in surround sound.  Until this gets solved I guess I will continue to not hear hit sounds, cause in my opinion that is better than playing the game in stereo. 

OK- I have a theory backed up by actual obvservation.

With Jedders original "30% solution" invoked, I went on a mission to overfly a Russian base with lots of AAA.

As I approached, black puffs of flak began surrounding my plane. Although they were barely audible, I could hear them, but only if I went outside the plane.

Back inside the cockpit, these explosion had no detectible sound whatsoever. But my engine droned on, loud and clear, and so did the sound of the air whooshing past my plane. (Just as loud, seemingly, as it is in ROF???)

SO-

I pulled up the exit menu to quit, and I noticed that a fraction of a second before the game exits, my plane disappears, and so does all engine/ airflow sound................

Quite by lucky chance, and at that split second, just before the game throws you back to the hangar, one last round of flak exploded on the screen.

And it was loud. Really, really loud.

We know the hit sounds are modelled. We know the flak sounds are modelled. We also know not all of us are hearing them, but they are there.

Conclusion: Internal sounds are "overdriven" vice external sounds in the current build.

I believe this problem will not be solved on all systems until a more comprehensive suite of user-defined sound balance controls are built into the settings. The ambient cockpit noise, as well as slipstream sound effects, are simply too loud for some systems to compensate. 

We need a control to balance in-cockpit sounds against external (gun hits/flak bursts) ones.The current set of very minimal sound controls is not sufficient for all systems.

Until this happens, I doubt very much that we can tweak/adjust anything to overcome this issue entirely.

I welcome any constructive feedback/observations/counterarguments-

The first download should have the mission folder and the second download should have the track file.  Sorry.

Alright now for the breakthrough.  I hope.  Been doing a lot of testing with my track I recorded. 

I ran the track with 7.1 surround, and no hit sounds.

5.1 surround, and no hit sounds

quadraphonic, and no hit sounds

Now stereo, and . . . . and . . .  BAM, BAM, BAM.  There they are.  Clear and loud.  Tested everything once more to make sure and I was correct.  I only hear the hit sounds when in stereo.  So I started thinking why would this be the case.  So I went back to 7.1 surround and played around a bit, because stereo sound just sounds awful you know.  What I found out is interesting.   

If I watch the track and do not unlink my head movements I cannot not hear any hit sounds, because my head is facing forward.  Now if I unlink my head movements and look behind at my back wing or rear, I can hear the hit sounds.  They are clear and loud.  So then I went in my sound software and adjusted my room correction settings.  I turned my front speakers all the way down, and jacked up my rear-side speakers all the way up.  Then I tested the track again.  Now while facing forward I can hear the rear hit sounds.  (makes the game sound awful so this is not a option) 

So what do I think is going on?  Clearly in my track I get hit in the engine, which should put the sound of the hit right in front of my face.  But this is not happening.  The sound bubble is getting left behind the plane.  So the only way I can hear myself being hit is to look in the direction of the sound bubble.  That is most of the time behind the plane.  So how to solve the problem?   

Play with stereo sound.  uhhhh.  Not a option.

Play with my room correction settings all screwed up.  uhhhh.  Not a option. 

Always look behind me when I think I'm being hit.  lol  Not a option. 

I don't know.  The coding needs to placed so hit sounds always. . . always. . . always are played out the front speakers, or played out of all speakers in surround sound.  Until this gets solved I guess I will continue to not hear hit sounds, cause in my opinion that is better than playing the game in stereo. 

Hmm - I'm having no trouble hearing the sounds, but I'm using my headphones (and thus stereo setting), so maybe you're onto something here.  If I get a chance later today I'll try listening with my surround speakers and see if that makes a difference.

Well, I changed my sound settings in Windows and fired up my speakers (just a quad surround sound, not a 5.1 setup), and listed to both my test track and Snake's, and I was able to hear the hit sounds on my own plane just fine in both tracks (played the tracks "as is", without changing anything about the head or view movement, so was basically looking straight forward when my plane was hit).

Can't test the 5.1 or 7.1 settings 'cause I don't have the speaker system for that, but it seems to be working (for me at least) in both stereo/headset and quad-speaker setups.  

Gonna turn my game sounds down from 100% next and just see what happens, since I already had them set to 100 before I started this testing.

OK - I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones for which all this is working just fine.

I turned my in-game sound level down to 60% (about where I would normally set things, based on RoF anyway), and then cranked my speaker volume back up to where it was as loud as before, and I did not have any problem hearing the hit sounds on my own plane in either my test track or Snake's.  On my track, which is longer and has me looking around sometimes when I'm getting hit, the sounds seem to track perfectly - e.g., if I'm looking at my right wing when it gets hit, the sounds come primarily from my front right speaker, and if I'm looking forward while I'm getting hit on the wings or rear parts the sounds come primarily from my rear speakers.

Haven't really encountered any flak close enough yet to be an issue, but I'll try to test those sounds next.

It would be nice to have some more control over the sound settings.  I'd like to turn down the radio chatter volume.  For me, it's too loud when I adjust the level to where the aircraft sounds like I want it to sound.

Edited by avlSteve

It would be nice to have some more control over the sound settings.  I'd like to turn down the radio chatter volume.  For me, it's too loud when I adjust the level to where the aircraft sounds like I want it to sound.

+1

I like the chatter but it is kinda annoyingly loud relative to the other sounds and it would be nice to be able to tone it down a bit.

OK - I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones for which all this is working just fine.

I turned my in-game sound level down to 60% (about where I would normally set things, based on RoF anyway), and then cranked my speaker volume back up to where it was as loud as before, and I did not have any problem hearing the hit sounds on my own plane in either my test track or Snake's.  On my track, which is longer and has me looking around sometimes when I'm getting hit, the sounds seem to track perfectly - e.g., if I'm looking at my right wing when it gets hit, the sounds come primarily from my front right speaker, and if I'm looking forward while I'm getting hit on the wings or rear parts the sounds come primarily from my rear speakers.

Haven't really encountered any flak close enough yet to be an issue, but I'll try to test those sounds next.

Thanks for your feedback and testing my track.  Tis an interesting problem for sure.  I see we are both using Realtek also.  I am also using headphones, but I use 7.1 surround sound inside my headphones.  Maybe that would cause a difference?  Don't really know. 

I too have suffered from this problem but just took it as something the devs would work on.  So with the above suggestions and did some testing.  I thought maybe the BIT RATE.  That seemed not to make no affect.  Here is my situation.  I am not using a sound card.  I have the Windows 7 Mixture set so the game is set to full and in the game I have it set to just 1%.  Just the sound from the mother board.  I use headphones. 

So I went to Quick Missions and tried several things.  As the enemy was coming at me I turned off the engine so I would not have to deal with my own engine noise.  With the enemy coming head on I heard the hits ok.  And when he came up from behind and hit me I could hear the hits ok.  I could hear the hits better with the canopy open.  And I could hear even better from the outside of plane option.  And I tried all this with the engine running full throttle.  And that is where the issue really seems to be.  My own engine noise just drowns out most other noises.  In fact, the reason I turn the in game sound option down to just 1% is so I can keep my hearing and be able to clearly hear other people on teamspeak.

I remember playing "Battle of Britain II".  Now there the sound was awesome.  The roar of a passing engine and the Doppler affect and the hit sounds were so immersive.  

I also remember flying 'Wings of Prey" where your could selectively turn just your own engine sound down.  That was great because you could then hear all sorts of things, keep your hearing and use Team Speak. 

I also remember reading that most of the time bullets hitting your plane (in real life) was externally load.

I hope the devs can make a big change to the sound issues and options.

If you can hear flak sounds only after the plane's engine sound has been taken away it might be a case of not enough sound channels in use. Is it possible to test using more channels? I've never really heard flak or hits I think, but that might just be because I'm so epic that I rarely get hit.

I hear hit sounds in SP just fine. Always have. Posts like this baffle me to be honest.

Jason

Are you taliking about being hit? OR hitting them?

I can here hitting them when im close.

I can never hear my own aircraft being hit.

Edited by BigPickle
  • Upvote 3

I dont have problem in hear hits (other than hear loud hits in enemy planes if are near then) - in QM.

By chance, as my speakers are cheap ones (Edifier 3.1) I left sound in STEREO, in game volume 100% muted in Windows mixer to "civilized" level, what certainly help. 

But FLAK explosions, despiste hear then in outside view, even gliding over then with engine off and cockpit open I dont hear from inside the plane. Hear the hits of small calibre FLAK.

Did some more in depth testing with 7.1 surround.  Playing my track over and over again, I adjusted the dB gain on each speaker.  First I turned each all the way down, and raised the dB gain on each one separate.  I did this so I could clearly define from where the bullet impact sounds were coming from.  By doing this I was able to isolate the hit sounds in the track.  In my track the hit sounds in 7.1 are ONLY coming from the two rear speakers.  There are absolutely no hit sounds coming from the three front speakers or the two side speakers.  I think this might be causing the problem.  Naturally you cannot hear things behind your head well. 

What needs to be done with surround sound?  Easy.  Hit sounds need to be coded to play through all surround speakers not just a few.  (rear)  I believe this would solve a lot of this mess. 

That is correct. I turned off the 5.1 and went true stereo, then layered Razer Synapse on top with some volumes adjusted and it is acceptable.

By no means we should need to do the tinkering and sounds should be there, more or less, out of the box.

• Upvote 1

Are you taliking about being hit? OR hitting them?

I can here hitting them when im close.

I can never hear my own aircraft being hit.

Same for me, Jason it must be a bug but I understand the importance of CTD issues and this is on the low end of problems, BUT please dont forget about it....

Maybe it's a sound count issue? Sometimes when I do a low strafing run, and the trucks explode just below my plane my engine sound stops while I can hear the explosions. Perhaps there are too many sounds during flight and most of the impact sounds are muted/ overridden by all of these?

Maybe it's a sound count issue? Sometimes when I do a low strafing run, and the trucks explode just below my plane my engine sound stops while I can hear the explosions. Perhaps there are too many sounds during flight and most of the impact sounds are muted/ overridden by all of these?

I have noticed the exact situation you are describing.  It's like the sound engine gets overloaded, and only plays a few of the sounds for a second, then back to normal.  It's weird for sure.   

Yep, same thing here.