Sign in to follow this  
Rigsby

Still no Oculus Rift support?

I would agree, but only after the Oculus releases its consumer version.   The current OR developer prototypes are simply not good enough yet for a decent experience, not to mention the huge amount of work required to optimize BOS for the Rift with the necessary high frame rates.  Luckily Loft has seen the Rifts potential, and wants to adapt BOS software for the Rift, but seeing potential, and actually getting unfinished OR hardware, and unfinished BOS software workable is the perfect recipe for delays.

Unfortunately I consider that a chicken an egg scenario.

Obviously I have put my money and energy into supporting those developers and titles that actually help build the foundation for consumer VR. If Luckily Loft does not want to be part of that then there is an obligation to be clear about that intent and not make the sort of endlessly shifting Oculus support style comments that 777 have. I consider myself mislead and as I said I am happy to accept a refund and take my Rift and support elsewhere.

Edited by Riftnoorbeast

They have confirmed support it's just taking longer then expected. If you look at other games that support DK2 even the large titles like DCS and WT and even Star Citizen have also stopped updating their DK support and have inherent flaws with it. The plus side is BoS seems to want to wait till they have it right. 

Frontier implemented Rift support in two days and it's worked ever since aside form a slight lighting bug last week that was fixed a day later. I really can't understand what the big issue is. I've put off playing this game because I'd like to play it with the Rift. If Rift support is not coming I wish they'd just tell us.

So 1.007 is released. We get barking dogs added and trees removed, but no word at all on Oculus support...sorta says a lot about priorities, or lack thereof!

Am rather pleased that they did not let the sound engineer responsible for putting the "dog barkings" into the game, loose on programming Rift integration, I think everyone would agree it would not end well, including the sound engineer :)

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 2

Funny how people say it's difficult for them to implement Rift support when they had it up and running in a demo over a year ago now. You would have thought it would be relatively easier now given they had it running on Crystal Cove all that time ago. I would have thought it would be much easier to implement it with DevKit2, then it was to do it with Crystal Cove. So, what exactly has changed that makes it so difficult to do now? 

Edited by Rigsby

There really isn't a single flight sim with proper DK2 implementation. Warthunder is has depth and ipd issues, DCS does not have workable menus and requires trickery to function. I don't get what's so wrong with BoS devs wanting to make the hud and menus work properly before releasing the support. I mean if you look at the big picture Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous are the only two mainstream games that properly support Oculus. I don't think it's fair to be so critical on the time frame. They confirmed support so I'm sure its coming they also said there was menu and hud issues they are trying to resolve before releasing it to us. To top it all off OR just released another firmware update so I'm sure that added even more work. Realise you bought a DEVELOPER kit. That alone should que you into the availability and quality of software. 

Edited by driftaholic

Alien:Isolation, Live For Speed, Eurotruck Simulator 2, Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2,DCS

All these games work reasonably well with DK2. Elite Dangerous have been updated to new SDK in a matter of days.

Sadly our devs are busy with other improvements. But I can see the bigger picture , which is improving BoS and securing it's future.I will still play BoS on a monitor 90% of time until consumer version of Rift.

I am extremely curious how does BoS look in DK2 but at the moment there is other news I am awaiting more.

• Upvote 1

Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous are great examples of developing Rift support as part of the development process. But as a stand out examples of what can and should be done in terms of Rift integration it is hard to go past what one person alone achieved in putting together Rift support for Live For Speed and for Richard Burns Rally: http://www.kegetys.fi/

Its pretty much been a year and BOS has yet to either provide access to Rift support, even during the development phase and more importantly has not at least given a clear indication as to what is up and planned for Rift implementation.

Nor does it help when people cite games that are developing Rift support, and working on the inevitable issues along the way, as somehow being a good reason for BOS not to provide Rift integration. There has never been a totally problem free Rift implementation by anyone, that does not mean nothing should happen.

If developers tout Rift support during early access and development phase, as BOS has done, then the obligation is there to also provide reasonable explanations as to not progressing it and an outline of where to from here, which is still square one.

Edited by Riftnoorbeast

Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous are great examples of developing Rift support as part of the development process. But as a stand out examples of what can and should be done in terms of Rift integration it is hard to go past what one person alone achieved in putting together Rift support for Live For Speed and for Richard Burns Rally: http://www.kegetys.fi/

Its pretty much been a year and BOS has yet to either provide access to Rift support, even during the development phase and more importantly has not at least given a clear indication as to what is up and planned for Rift implementation.

Nor does it help when people cite games that are developing Rift support, and working on the inevitable issues along the way, as somehow being a good reason for BOS not to provide Rift integration. There has never been a totally problem free Rift implementation by anyone, that does not mean nothing should happen.

If developers tout Rift support during early access and development phase, as BOS has done, then the obligation is there to also provide reasonable explanations as to not progressing it and an outline of where to from here, which is still square one.

+1 And hopefully the Oculus supporting 32bit thing is resolved at all :/

+2

Sims like Elite Dangerous have large enough budgets, and manpower to allocate resources for the DK2 implementation.  Loft immediately seen the potential of VR when he got his hands on the DK1, but the question is how well did it work, and how many people would it require to implement it properly. It will be interesting to see if BOS has made enough monies to warrant further development the series, let alone allocating enough resources  to implement OR support for the miniscule pre-consumer version market.  Not to mention the fact the experience would far less than optimal, considering current state of the VR hardware prototypes, and game fps requirements.

If they were going to capture another niche group that is welling to spend $$$ on tech, this would be a good place to start.  If they can do better than WT implementation then they may actually capture a good number of those more casual players they are after. I am hopeful that they are keen to this idea and are taking their time to make sure it hits the mark! As mentioned by others, it would be interesting to see what the sales of BOS look like after OR support is implemented.

S~

Thinking we will see something after CV1, if so, the ball's really in OculasRift's court for now, so to speak.

Another 12 months or so, likely.

And, yeah, patience....

Alright, I bought this back at launch because they said rift support was coming. I just saw the latest email and there's no mention. What's the deal?

i really wonder whats the holdup if they've already demonstrated dk1 support in-engine

well i should have done my homework.

i see a post on steam saying we should have support by november and so i think im safe and buy the sim now..Nothing.

have to say im a bit peed off at myself for not checking properly.

not a very good first post from me :)

Hi everyone !!!

Edited by blart

http://www.dcoc-vr.com/

never had a single problem regarding frame rates or any problems whatsoever from this guy optimizing DK2 for P3D!! i seriously doubt Lockheed themselves could have done much better to be honest and this guys doing it as a hobby as far as i know. I should have known from waiting for ROF..

Does the OR support lower pixel size so the long distance rendering of aircraft BoS is capable of can be seen? Is it no longer a development kit but an actual end user release? No, and no.

What is the need to support a mid-development device that is many months away from a commercial release? I realize that some purchased a development kit, but that doesn't mean it should immediately be supported because that kits purpose is only for - well its in the name.

Until it is a consumer release, a public release, a technology actually ready for wide scale implementation and use - it isn't a product with required inclusion.

Sure, it's neat - but it can't do small pixel size to allow for "long distance" rendering - or just using smaller pixels to allow usable scale rendering. It can't be used in any air combat game except for War Thunder - because War Thunder is all CQB - due to its high pixel size that prevents small pixels being rendered to produce long range visibility. Anyone who gets all huffy over that statement truly doesn't realize that OR still isn't ready for prime time wide scale production and game inclusion. If it were, it'd be consumer ready. It's still development, and until the tech meets the requirements to be consumer - then it isn't a requirement to be included into any software unless the team is large enough to put their development time into it.

Currently nVidia's 3D vision and TrackIr is better than OR as far as visual acuity goes, and nVidia's 3D vision support is sad. So I'm hoping OR comes through but it hasn't yet - except for games that are all short distance visuals like Doom.

Edited by FuriousMeow

BOS, Devs, have no idea what Resolution Oculus Rift would be at launch, so your argument is a non starter FuriousMeow. They were working with Crystal Cove when they spoke about Rift support and they seemed happy with this. It's only because of Facebook and Samsung that the Rift is where it is today, but BOS, Devs, couldn't have known of these advances unless they had a crystal ball that actually worked. Maybe you don't think the Resolution is very good, but it doesn't mean others who have a Rift wouldn't enjoy it. BOS, Dev, were obviously happy with it at the time or they wouldn't have entertained it. S

Seems the guy in this link enjoyed his experience, as I'm sure many others would have.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/06/best-of-gamescom-il-2-sturmovik-and-oculus-rift/

Edited by Rigsby
  • Upvote 1

BOS, Devs, have no idea what Resolution Oculus Rift would be at launch, so your argument is a non starter FuriousMeow. They were working with Crystal Cove when they spoke about Rift support and they seemed happy with this. It's only because of Facebook and Samsung that the Rift is where it is today, but BOS, Devs, couldn't have known of these advances unless they had a crystal ball that actually worked. Maybe you don't think the Resolution is very good, but it doesn't mean others who have a Rift wouldn't enjoy it. BOS, Dev, were obviously happy with it at the time or they wouldn't have entertained it. S

Seems the guy in this link enjoyed his experience, as I'm sure many others would have.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/06/best-of-gamescom-il-2-sturmovik-and-oculus-rift/

Well said, I stated many times on this forum that how one enjoys BoS may diifer from player to player. Contact visibility and resolution (like there is no icons , or duels in BoS) is quite often brought up by people who most likely never even tried DK2 , but just mindlessly repeat what 'detractors and apologists' say.

Rift support was 'advertised' by devs since early developer diaries, it was 'promised' for game's release , then for November , then we were promised 'news' in December.

I promised myself not to engage in these pointless discussions anymore , because it's getting us nowhere. There is people here who never tried DK2 ,yet they feel qualified to tell me that I wouldn't enjoy it in BoS anyway.

One of these guys since disappeared from the forums and it was revealed on SimHQ that he was actually sponsored by the devs. Therefore I will not engage in conversation here arguing anymore because you never now who are you talking to.

After waiting since August , and listening to various excuses, blaming hardware and Oculus creators , and seeing no support in Rise of Flight , I conclude that DK2 is simply not working in RoF or BoS , and it's not a matter of small dev team or priorities, there must be some engine limitations/problems that prevents them form implementing DK2 support.

Hopefully I will be proven wrong one day.

For now I enjoy what we have and hope this project will survive.

ROF does work quite well with DK2 aparently..(Channel battles edition only) and vorpx..im sorry but as much as i want the Rift in ROF im not going to pay for it twice and buy vorpx too..(not yet anyway)

ROF does work quite well with DK2 aparently..(Channel battles edition only) and vorpx..im sorry but as much as i want the Rift in ROF im not going to pay for it twice and buy vorpx too..(not yet anyway)

I mean native support , not VorpX workarounds.

You guys are missing the whole point on what the developer kit is. It is a opportunity to integrate the technology into the game so that it is ready by the time the consumer version arrives. You seem to think that as soon as the consumer version is released, it will work with Il2, out of the box. This is not the case.

It seems that they have some challenges to implement the DK2, but as an owner, i can assure you all that this is the future of all flight sims and it is bright for all off us.

It is the difference between sitting in front of the computer and BEEING there, to the point that it is scary sometimes :o: