Sign in to follow this  
Rigsby

Still no Oculus Rift support?

Since I purchased this game mainly for Oculus Rift, can someone tell me when they are going to include it? I saw this game months ago been played on Crystal Cove and that is why I decided to purchase it when the beta arrived. 

Edited by Rigsby

Latest news as of 22 Oct 11:14pm

^^We"ll turn the compatibility on in one of the up-coming updates, probably in November^^

Cheers Dakpilot

I have now fully transitioned to Oculus Rift in Warthunder. There are drawbacks due to the resolution and lower graphical settings. But for me the 3D feeling makes it all worth it. And it definetly improved my dogfighting skills. 

Can't wait to test this out!

I tried the rift a while ago in WT, it felt a bit off though, like the scale was a bit wrong, cockpits seemed huge. Was that an error i'd made or is that what it's currently like ?

^^We"ll turn the compatibility on in one of the up-coming updates, probably in November^^

Cheers Dakpilot

wow great!

• Upvote 1

Damit, must have read a blog post wrong as I just bought this as I thought it had OR support!

As a massive fan of the original IL2 it will still get some play time but really looking forward to DK2 support.

Latest info from the devs was that they hope to turn on Oculus Rift support sometime this month. Working on user interface. Best case scenario we will get it in the next two weeks. I have been waiting for three months now, two more weeks hopefully and we will see.

Waiting for a DK2 support to. Since i try DSC and several other racing Sims on a DK2 no way to comeback to a monitor. 

• Upvote 1

I fly the A10C, in DCS, but it's not that good because you can't see the HUD with Dev Kit2. I will get right into IL2 BOS once it gets Oculus support and I hope that's going to happen soon. I just hope the white snowy backdrops don't make the screen door effect more prominent.

Edited by Rigsby

I fly the A10C, in DCS, but it's not that good because you can't see the HUD with Dev Kit2. I will get right into IL2 BOS once it gets Oculus support and I hope that's going to happen soon. I just hope the white snowy backdrops don't make the screen door effect more prominent.

There is little doubt that the white BOS background will make the screen door effect worse, but the prototypes resolution is the biggest problem.  That said many will enjoy the immersion of BOS with the DK2 even with those problems, atleast until a much better consumer version hits the market.

Found on Russian forum:

barr, on 17 Nov 2014 - 21:11, said:

Уважаемый Альберт! Насколько я понял, вы уже получили комплект Oculus Rift DK2. Когда примерно можно ждать включения его поддержки в игре? Понимаю, что неприоритетная задача, но все же...

#1583 Вопросы разработчикамСсылка на сообщение #1583

=FB=LOFT

Не могу ответить точно. Во первых авторы OR забили на такие игры как наша, мы им не очень интересны. Во вторых возникли некоторые проблемы с их API и он отказывается работать в 32 битных приложениях и системах. Т.е. есть над чем ломать голову. Поэтому не знаю, как только дойдут руки.

I really start thinking that if you want answers to questions you have to go to Russian forum. To sum it up Loft doesn't know when is OR support coming , there is a problem with Oculus API and crashes on 32 bit systems. Also he is saying that OR makers forgot about them somehow and are not interested in simulators. Last sentence would indicate that they are not working on DK2 support at the moment. Will get to it when they get a chance. I know there is other priorities at the moment, just loosing hope we will see BoS in Oculus this month , or even this year. Sad.

I'm sure they are holding meeting to look at current sales, and projections to see if its even worth the continued development of the series, let alone Oculus support.

As a consolation I can say that at least we will fly Spitfires (and other great WW2 planes including Me262) in DCS by the end of next year , in Consumer Version of Oculus Rift, with EDGE engine and Normandy map. Just a year away , BoS will get OR support eventually and will be a hit thanks to it's fantastic visuals and accessibility . In the meantime I am considering lending my DK2 to Team Fusion if they would be willing to accept it and give it a try to get Clod running in OR.

• Upvote 1

Bravo Don_Kojote. The gesture speaks for itself. S!

As a consolation I can say that at least we will fly Spitfires (and other great WW2 planes including Me262) in DCS by the end of next year , in Consumer Version of Oculus Rift, with EDGE engine and Normandy map. Just a year away , BoS will get OR support eventually and will be a hit thanks to it's fantastic visuals and accessibility . In the meantime I am considering lending my DK2 to Team Fusion if they would be willing to accept it and give it a try to get Clod running in OR.

That would be awesome if you let the Team Fusion guys borrow it.

Found on Russian forum:

barr, on 17 Nov 2014 - 21:11, said:

Уважаемый Альберт! Насколько я понял, вы уже получили комплект Oculus Rift DK2. Когда примерно можно ждать включения его поддержки в игре? Понимаю, что неприоритетная задача, но все же...

#1583 Вопросы разработчикамСсылка на сообщение #1583

=FB=LOFT

Не могу ответить точно. Во первых авторы OR забили на такие игры как наша, мы им не очень интересны. Во вторых возникли некоторые проблемы с их API и он отказывается работать в 32 битных приложениях и системах. Т.е. есть над чем ломать голову. Поэтому не знаю, как только дойдут руки.

I really start thinking that if you want answers to questions you have to go to Russian forum. To sum it up Loft doesn't know when is OR support coming , there is a problem with Oculus API and crashes on 32 bit systems. Also he is saying that OR makers forgot about them somehow and are not interested in simulators. Last sentence would indicate that they are not working on DK2 support at the moment. Will get to it when they get a chance. I know there is other priorities at the moment, just loosing hope we will see BoS in Oculus this month , or even this year. Sad.

What does he mean by Oculus forgot about them, I cant read Russian. Forgot what exactly? Oculus are concentrating on releasing a VR headset, so what's the problem? For that matter I could say that the BOS Devs have forgot about a certain group of people who expect a Rift experience if they do decide to scrap it. I purchased this game because I was lead to believe they were going to implement Rift support, so who's forgetting who here? Oculus showed the demo on Crystal Cove, and it's then I decided to purchase it. So that's one purchase they got because of Oculus.

Plus DCS is constantly working on there implementation of the Rift, so what do you mean Oculus are not interested in simulators anymore?

Edited by Rigsby

yeah, it's not the first time they have used this line.

pretty much all of the main titles that support the rift are simulation based like Outerra, DCS, Assetto Corsa, Elite Dangerous so oculus certainly have not lost interest in simulation, I use all of those mentioned titles an every one of them is stable in the rift so I guess they don't have any issues with the API.

According to the Poll "Oculus Rift - who is going to use it?" placed in this forum more than half of the members will use the Rift with the BOS. This is statistic data fact. So yes, Rift support is wanted. 

I bought BOS one year ago because I saw that the Rift was going to be supported and this change totally the way I can use a flight simulator.

I also bought Elite Dangerous because DK2 support. Yes, awesome, but would prefer a fly a WWW I/II plane rather than a spacecraft where there is no sense of land/sky.

I also know that DCS support DK2, but it will take again time to buy/install/map hotas/learn plane, etc, etc and unfortunately time is one of the things that I don´t have.

During the last years every two weeks I enter in the forum and search for the word "Oculus". Few weeks ago Zak said that DK2 support will be for end of Nov-2013, but after reading the post of Don_Kojote it seems that they are getting troubles with the implementation in 32bits and there is no plan for it.

I think rift support will boost sales since almost every sinlge DK2 owner with a joystick will want to try it. In the same way I try it ED when I have never been interested in spaceflight simulators.

If the unavoidable problem is only with 32bits, you could support at least the version of 64bits.

Can we help (as a group) to request to Oculus to fix this problem in the API?

We have to accept the fact that no ammount of discussion will speed up OR support in BoS. It is in game already but not in the version we are playing. This means that it's simply not working as it should.

It was 'promised' that we will get OR support when the game is released , then in November , now we will get 'more information' on it in December (which means nothing really).

All this makes me think that it's just not working well in BoS at the moment and more time is needed. There is enough negativity surrounding BoS already ,and devs just don't need more complaints , releasing half baked OR support will do us no good. So we have to wait.

I won't lie that it is disappointing and that sometimes I get impatient and disillusioned, but overall this is just an optional feature that devs want to put in game but they are having problems doing it at the moment. Plus priorities right now are community tools now and campaign stability.

I would imagine that if you bought DK2 , you would have a decent PC running on 64bit operating system, but I might be wrong

All I know that so far only Alien:Isolation and Live For Speed worked flawlessly for me. Eurotruck Simulator also , but why would I want to drive a truck when I could be shooting down Heinkels.

Elite worked quite well for me back in August , then it turned in stuttering mess with constant loss of tracking. It's basically unplayable for me at the moment. It works well for some , so it's really user related problem.

I am evil ;)

I just had a visitor , a mate of mine who I know is a huge Alien fan/nerd. I knew in advance he was coming so I launched Alien:Isolation in Rift , set the game that I was standing in front of a door behind which Alien was lurking.

When my mate arrived I said I had a surprise for him , he saw Rift before , I showed him Elite once. So he put the headset on , hoping for some nice experience. I was holding joypad , he was standing , I had to hold him because even though I wasn't moving ingame character at all , you can get dizzy at the begging even just by looking around.

After giving him couple of seconds to look around and get his bearings, I asked him to look at the door in front of him , I opened the doors for him , showing a dimly lit room , he had 5.1 headset on , there was a moment of silence and then the Alien came from around the corner , my mate started swaying so I had to hold him tight, a second later Alien pounced at him and he let a terrible scream and 'ripped off' the Rift from his face. I laughed and said , you just met the Alien. It took him couple of minutes to get back to earth :).

This is thirty something big guy who is a bouncer , screaming like a girl :) , and it's only early days of VR. It's quite convincing already. It will only get better. Hopefully Nvidia and Intel can catch up with more powerful hardware to run Rift. At the moment the only thing stopping it from becoming mainstream device is nausea, FPS games are playable for only few people who somehow don't get sick all over the place ;).

• Upvote 1

"Oculus forgot about the BOS team, no interest in simulations or updating their API to work with BOS"  (paraphrasing, from translation)

This is the farthest thing I have ever heard from the truth. Currently I don't see any API issues Rift-side that would prevent the ROF/BOS engine from being used in VR. Crashes may be due to incorrect monitor detection, improper 3D separating render, or using wrong references for distortion.

Truth is the DCS, E:D teams didn't have to make contact with Oculus regarding major API changes to get their product to work, heck I (without access to the restricted files and being awful with code) almost managed to cleanly inject dual display barrel distortion into Arma's RV engine (notoriously complicated) to the point where it worked, but the world turned cyan looking in certain directions, the same issue that plagues vorpx in 2D mode 948*1080. They implemented EXTENDED display support (not as good as direct, more overhead) by just using the Rift as another monitor, generally easiest using a borderless windowed mode with Rift as primary at 75hz extended.

API changes would almost certainly be needed for DIRECT rift support, unless the BOS team feels like completely rewriting their engine.

I'm a little miffed at the situation, especially when the team said "We are certain that the Rift will be supported at launch". You don't say that unless it's working, cleanly and (near) flawlessly at a point where it is at least usable by the consumer. That's kickstarter level misleading.

Anyway here's hoping, I bought this mainly because of videos shown early in development with the Rift, the constant mentioning that Rift support WOULD BE IN THE FINAL PRODUCT. I feel as if I have been mislead by the famous ROF and Il-2 team, and that's not a good feeling to have.

I really hope this will be rectified ASAP, as it is I'm on the verge of asking for a refund and I hate that so, so much.

I would imagine that if you bought DK2 , you would have a decent PC running on 64bit operating system, but I might be wrong

I would not said it is "decent" ( five and a half years old):

1680 x 1050 60Hz, 4xAA, VSync off

Win7 Ultimate 64bit

Core2 Quad Q9400 @2.66 Ghz

new GeForce GTX970

6 Gb DDR3 @1333 MHz

Motherboard: Asus P5Q3

One month ago I replaced the old GTX650 by the GTX970.

In BOS the fps at High setting moved from 24fps to 28fps flying low over Stalingrad. Clearly the CPU should be the bottleneck here.

But with the GTX970 the experience in ED (in DIRECT mode) improved significantly (but far from perfect). Other DK2 demos also improved.

My plan now is to renew the motherboard&CPU soon, and also a new monitor.

I am planning to buy something that would support the needs of the future CV1.

Using the monitor, 30fps is enough good for me. But 30fps with the rift is really not good.

All this makes me think that it's just not working well in BoS at the moment and more time is needed. There is enough negativity surrounding BoS already ,and devs just don't need more complaints , releasing half baked OR support will do us no good. So we have to wait. I won't lie that it is disappointing and that sometimes I get impatient and disillusioned, but overall this is just an optional feature that devs want to put in game but they are having problems doing it at the moment.

Yes, We need to wait. And that is perfectly OK, the important thing is that they do a good work.

As Palmer said, the worse thing of VR is the BAD VR.

So, Devs, take your time, half year more, or 1 year more, it doesn´t matter. The importnat thing is that it should work well.

Today, just to taste another flight simulator with DK2 support, I have tried War Thunder with DK2 support (Extended mode). For me it has been a BAD experience. There is a problem with the 3D deepth, making the game far from confortable. There were also a problem with the scale, the plane was huge and I was just a dwarf seated at the cockpit.

After, I have just played an hour with BOS in a normal monitor to remove the bad taste of WT experience. 

Honestly, I have been always a big fan of VR, and Oculus is one of the best thing ever in VR. They are in the good path and they will improve it year after year.

But, I am a little bit tired of this rocky beginings of Oculus (DK1, DK2, software releases, extended mode vs direct mode, need powerfull CPU/GPU, buggy demos, bad demos, bad implementations, wasting time, in between also awesome things ). Obviously we are in DEVELOPMENT phase, not finished product.

So, I would probably put aside my DK2 and will buy a new 1440p monitor and will enjoy BOS and ROF for the next 12 months. Then, if released, I will buy CV1 and will see if BOS/ROF already support CV1. Until then I would prefer to use my scarce free time to enjoy the beauty of flying, even in a flat monitor.

I want BOS support for the OR as much as anyone else, BUT there simply is no reason to rush. The OR prototypes are not good enough YET, nor has the BOS software been optimized enough for a decent experience. I'm sure the stars will eventually aline, but we will need patience.

Cheers Dakpilot

2nd of December now, any news?

Today, just to taste another flight simulator with DK2 support, I have tried War Thunder with DK2 support (Extended mode). For me it has been a BAD experience. There is a problem with the 3D deepth, making the game far from confortable. There were also a problem with the scale, the plane was huge and I was just a dwarf seated at the cockpit.

Fixes for world scale/3D depth (they're interrelated) are due to imroper IPD render-side, usually due to world scale units messing with estimated IPDs. Adjustable IPD would be nice, but set to 61mm-64mm would make most people happy anyway. You can edit this right now in WT, it's not that hard and quite a simple mistake to make and correct.

Working on VorpX support, rocky road.

Got some support working. Rift tracking is functional, albiet about 10x exaggerated, 2D image is displayed fine, no go on 3D for the moment, no hook.

Using some elements of VorpX, no functional injector though, hooks on loading screens only

Latest news as of 22 Oct 11:14pm ^^We"ll turn the compatibility on in one of the up-coming updates, probably in November^^ Cheers Dakpilot

5th of December now, any news?

Going to be really disappointed if this isn't going to support the Rift. Will I be able to get a refund if it doesn't because that's why I purchased it? I haven't played the game apart from a little bit at the beginning, I was mainly waiting for Rift support.

I Think Oculus DK2 will come with The Messerschmitt Me 262A-1b vs Ford Mustang Mk I p51 D Who knows !? ...

I have the Oculus rift DK1 , the DK2 and The Oculus-Samsung VR+Galaxy Note 4 . Only DK1 is working right now because I Think If there is a good advantage against enemy with only the Dk1 ...

with DK2 should be TOO MUCH ADVANTAGE +++And with The ADDLIS or Colimateur point Optic mirrow it multipies all Advantages for sure !

, so with the DK2 advantage shoud be devastating optimun advantage ! I think should be too much advantage .

Il2 Sturmovik BOS has the best resolution options and Is the best Aicraft Sim of 2014 for sure that I have never seen ;

with only a DK2 Should be efective Letal and is a very big advantage vs Other Trak-ir standard devices against anemy planes for what I mentioned before mounths ago ...

But may be DK2 is compatible this Chistmast Who Knows Like 1942 August Alies do not Know anything about FW 190 A3 !? .

Going to be really disappointed if this isn't going to support the Rift. Will I be able to get a refund if it doesn't because that's why I purchased it? I haven't played the game apart from a little bit at the beginning, I was mainly waiting for Rift support.

They have confirmed support it's just taking longer then expected. If you look at other games that support DK2 even the large titles like DCS and WT and even Star Citizen have also stopped updating their DK support and have inherent flaws with it. The plus side is BoS seems to want to wait till they have it right. 

Edited by driftaholic

at this point, for me at least, the il2bos dev's commitment to dk2 support is not in question. I think the dev team is committed to building in dk2 support. I would be worried if that was not the case. Its more a question of when rather than if, and i'd rather wait and let the devs perfect the dk2 implementation rather than get a half assed implementation early.

Same with star citizen, i am convinced that cig are committed wholeheartedly to fully supporting the oculus rift, i am willing to cut them some slack about the schedule of the said support.

I was waiting for assetto corsa support, had to wait a while, but when it came, it was brilliant. Assetto corsa is one of the premier dk2 experiences in dk2 now.

elite, dcs and assetto corsa are all i play now. i play il2 once in a while to change things up a bit. But really, il2 is just begging to be converted. there's no going back to flat screens anymore.

• Upvote 1

I think it a reasonable expectation to hold developers to account regarding Oculus support.

Continually pushing out release dates on the basis of pursuing some sort of implementation excellence does not wash with me. I purchased BOS at the onset based on the intended Oculus support. I wanted to be part of testing and contributing back regarding its development and inclusion in BOS and paid for the privilege. I could run BOS pretty well under TriDef way back when with the DK1, but just getting BOS to run on the Rift is not what I paid for...I invested and supported BOS because of touted native Oculus support. BOS is now post release and there is still no firm timeline regarding Oculus support.

777 I am really over excuses and am happy to accept a refund and enjoy my Rift elsewhere.

Pushing release dates is better then getting broken software. Look at the broken mess that is Halo:MC thats what happens when developers are allowed to release garbage because people pay for a product that isn't finished. I hate to say it but if you bought BoS because DK2 support was "in the works" and that was the sole reason then you are only contributing the the problem you are complaining about. 

Edited by driftaholic

I think it a reasonable expectation to hold developers to account regarding Oculus support.

Continually pushing out release dates on the basis of pursuing some sort of implementation excellence does not wash with me. I purchased BOS at the onset based on the intended Oculus support. I wanted to be part of testing and contributing back regarding its development and inclusion in BOS and paid for the privilege. I could run BOS pretty well under TriDef way back when with the DK1, but just getting BOS to run on the Rift is not what I paid for...I invested and supported BOS because of touted native Oculus support. BOS is now post release and there is still no firm timeline regarding Oculus support.

777 I am really over excuses and am happy to accept a refund and enjoy my Rift elsewhere.

I would agree, but only after the Oculus releases its consumer version.   The current OR developer prototypes are simply not good enough yet for a decent experience, not to mention the huge amount of work required to optimize BOS for the Rift with the necessary high frame rates.  Luckily Loft has seen the Rifts potential, and wants to adapt BOS software for the Rift, but seeing potential, and actually getting unfinished OR hardware, and unfinished BOS software workable is the perfect recipe for delays.