=LD=Penshoon

You also think BOS is Beautiful? How about making it ABSOLUTLY GORGEOUS! *Instructions inside*

Nah - I don't think GPU has anything to do with this (no indications of any GPU heat problems, though I'm going to check that next time just in case).  I've been seeing similar reports from all sorts of folks today - I think there must be some server issues or something causing all these problems for all these people.

Well, between the CTDs and the autopilot's determination to lawndart me on almost very mission, I haven't been able to complete a single mission today.  I did get all the way to the target and through the lawndarting with my GPU solid at a constant 79-80 degrees the whole time, so I doubt that it would have been any different if the whole mission had played out.

I'm not really sure how hot it should be running in game - TBH I was a little surprised it started out as high as 80, but then it stayed there the whole time.  I'm gonna run some RoF missions and another game and see what the temps look like in those, now that you've piqued my curiosity.

Well, I ran another BoS mission - fluctuated between about 78-84, but mostly stayed around 80.  The RoF mission was about the same - maybe hovering around 83 most of the time, and my Google searching indicated that the GTX 980 ran about 78-80 on the benchmarks they were running, so I guess that's about normal after all.

Guess it cannot be heating - my 780 o/c is running at about 60, but it fluctuates when the aircon thermostat switches off, but not as high as yours.

Other possibility is a memory leak: they do exist, IL-2 1946's was dreadful and never fixed. What worked to stop that was starting and then stopping the recording function at the start of each mission, although there is no reason BoS should have an identical problem.  My RoF also would crash about once every 4-5 missions usually well into a long mission, which is about what I am getting now.

Try shutting down BoS altogether between missions.

Try shutting down BoS altogether between missions.

Not only did I do that a few times, I actually rebooted a couple of different times - no differences - CTDs today in every mission that didn't lawndart me before it had a chance to CTD.

Not a good day on the Steppes, so far :(

I am running out of ideas then .... the usual advice would be to try at a lower graphics setting, which seems silly with your PC, or turn off your sound somehow and see if that is doing it.

Anyway, stumped, so off for lunch. Best of luck!

Well, that was interesting.  Someone posted an idea in another thread about setting full screen in the nVidia control panel, so just for grins I decided to give it a try.  Turned off DSR again (worked weird in RoF anyway, and I couldn't find a way in nVidia Control Panel to use DSR on a per-program basis - only seems to be available in the global settings), unticked full screen in BoS, and set it to full screen in nVidia Control Panel.

Made it all the way back to base and escaped out of the mission with no problem.

Of course, although it showed me receiving 120 EXP for the mission, my profile page failed to update with any new EXP, so that confirms what some other folks were reporting today.  But at least it didn't CTD this time.

SO, maybe there is some connection with "full screen" in some fashion.  More testing tomorrow.

The updating stats business I think has something to do with the long w/e in Russia, obviously he servers are on holiday as well.

Canceled Battle of Moscow title. Nothing new here, move along folks.

A BoS tester who vancels the title? Waht's wrong mate?

I think you have misunderstood.

LukeFF was referring to the screenshots earlier in the thread (of non-winter scenes) that are from a long-ago cancelled project.

Aye

Funny, that those pictures of the long gone project come up every once in a while. :rolleyes:

Guys, I really would appreciate it, if we could get back to the original topic of this thread. It`s sooo interesting, really one of the best findings! :good:

Funny, that those pictures of the long gone project come up every once in a while. :rolleyes:

Guys, I really would appreciate it, if we could get back to the original topic of this thread. It`s sooo interesting, really one of the best findings! :good:

please make it sticky!

• Upvote 2

S!

I did do a few quick test flights last night. It seems the value after the texture is Anisotropic filtering. More of it reduces shimmering, or that is how I understand it. So with lower texture value more AF was applied to reduce the shimmer on distant textures. The only "problem" is now the pop up of trees and stuff, quite low range. But at least bombing and navigation got a lot easier! So I do wonder if we could get advanced settings as the game can look so much better. And I do believe the community could make a TUTORIAL to be posted here, for example, explaining them in more detail.

That's not AF. AF is only one value set for the whole processing of the images.

And 16x AF is better than 2x AF. However, if you set 2 for that second value - all kinds of bad performance and terrible graphics happen. It might be tile size, but definiitely not Anisotropic.

S!

I stand corrected then :) Anyways I kept the values as they were aka 8 for all others and 16 for the last.

Can't remember exactly how it worked in RoF, but i think that 8/16 value is the number of tiles around the previous LOD. So keeping it at 8 should work best.

Amazing result for such a simple mod . Perhaps the stock setting was there for less powerful video cards but I run an Nvidia Gtx 780 and it works great .

Everything on 4096,8

Pic from 4000 meters.

well,  nice nice nice. !

i'll give a try on the best map IMO : Zeus'one.

but....

now...

that plane skin looks ridiculousely poor, old il2 look

What about finding  the ini file to allow 4096x4096 HD plane Skins .... like A2A spit .... 

And everythings should nearly quite better. :wacko:

• Upvote 1

What about finding  the ini file to allow 4096x4096 HD plane Skins .... like A2A spit .... 

And everythings should nearly quite better. :wacko:

Hardly going to happen as the original skins are 2k resolution only (yes there are ways to figure it out). For that "low" resolution the detail is rather stunning, though I hope user skiners will provide higher res ones ine future. :)

S!

Well this small tweak did make BoS look a lot better. Now imagine if we could adjust graphics a bit more ;)

S!

Well this small tweak did make BoS look a lot better. Now imagine if we could adjust graphics a bit more ;)

How dare you sir..

S!

Oh snap me ;) It just slipped, honest! :P This find has been one of the most positive things with BoS for ages. And it has caused positive vibes throughout the community as well. Should be a good signal to devs ;)

• Upvote 3

S!

Oh snap me ;) It just slipped, honest! :P This find has been one of the most positive things with BoS for ages. And it has caused positive vibes throughout the community as well. Should be a good signal to devs ;)

It has been nice to see so many rally around something positive. A refreshing change to be sure.

It has been nice to see so many rally around something positive. A refreshing change to be sure.

It's fake, effect is placebo, don't tell anyone I said this  :ph34r:

:lol:

• Upvote 1

I don't even know what the numbers mean, but I've been monkeying around, and this guy looks good to me.  Caution, you can definitely end up at the desktop if you tax the parameters.

PixelSize=50 //meters

LodCount=10

texlod=8192,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=2048,16

S!

Pixel size meaning terrain resolution? LOD count propably means how many levels of LOD there is on terrain according to distance from player, to make the transition smoother. 4 digit number size and after that how many around one tile(as explained above). So avlSteve you have 10 levels of LOD around the plane, if I got this right :)

Can't remember exactly how it worked in RoF, but i think that 8/16 value is the number of tiles around the previous LOD. So keeping it at 8 should work best.

RoF uses the land_setup.ini with the settings below:

[setup]

numberOfLods=5

quadsInSector=16

quadSizeX=50

quadSizeY=50

textureStep=0.0078125

viewDistance=1900

fogStart=0

fogStop=000

saveLandscape=1

textureQuadSize=800

fastRender=0

[b0]

4096=8

4096=8

2048=8

2048=8

2048=16

S!

Pixel size meaning terrain resolution? LOD count propably means how many levels of LOD there is on terrain according to distance from player, to make the transition smoother. 4 digit number size and after that how many around one tile(as explained above). So avlSteve you have 10 levels of LOD around the plane, if I got this right :)

The LOD number will have to match the number of line items that follow or the game won't launch.  10 was the max it would take. 

What does the LOD acronym stand for?

With other word the number of times the game transforms the texture to another resolution. Technically it shouldn't give you any benefit to set 10 lods with same res, only increase workload.

Waned to set mine to 2 (8k, 4k) but I'm not sure the game supports any less than 5 lods.

With other word the number of times the game transforms the texture to another resolution.

No, on a general case this isn't the main point of LOD. LODs defines the number of polygons for a 3D object (building, vehicle, etc...) according to the rendering distance.

The textures placed on the 3D objects also change with the rendering distance, but it's only a side effect.