=LD=Penshoon

You also think BOS is Beautiful? How about making it ABSOLUTLY GORGEOUS! *Instructions inside*

Thanks - I'm running 1920x1200 (my native res for my monitor).  With the stock file I am seeing that the farther away stuff is blurrier/not as distinct as the nearer stuff, but I've never noticed any sort of square shape to it.

Been running lots of QMB tests with all sorts of permutations - only thing I know for sure is that changing the numbers after the comma from 8 to 4 is a really bad idea   :lol:     (generates lots of flashing ground textures).

Been messing around with the LodCount number too, but haven't seen much difference one way or the other with that.

Generally, I think it probably is a bit better than stock with 4096,8 across the board but it's not as dramatic as I was expecting.

PC Specs:

Intel Core i7-4770K @3.5 GHz
ASUS ROG Maximus VI MB
16GB RAM
EVGA GTX 980, 4 GB

Realtek ROG SupremeFX audio
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Interestingly enough mine reads :

PixelSize=50        //meters

LodCount=5

texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=2048,8
texlod=2048,8
texlod=2048,16

Just reading this now. Also, tried replacing the 8's into 16 (or 32?) to see if there is a color difference. Not too noticeable, but shimmering is very obvious. Also, the LODs seem to look unnaturally sharp kindda "popping out" of the environment.

WOW. That is excellent tweak. So far I didnt find any side effects.

Edited by 71st_AH_Cujo

Same here ... really looks great. More than 2048,8 and a little shimmer starts for me ... but at 8 it looks so sharp and not a shimmer!

All I can say is wow. It really looks amazing after this tweak. No stutters at all. No more twitching background in the distance.

• Upvote 1

This does make it look different, doesn't it? Nice find.

Just curious, when I tried it I found load time from the mission selection screen to the actual mission took a lot longer, BUT I was using another program in the background which may be the cause of the slower loading time.

Anyone noticed any change? 

Indeed loading times increase. It took me half a minute when testing 16k resolution and I actually feared the game to freeze/crash as result.

If you don't overdo it the workload should be small enought to not increase loading times significantly.

Running on 2560x1440 following settings without problems ;

PixelSize=50 //meters

LodCount=5

texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8
texlod=4096,8

Great find thanks

• Upvote 1

Just made the original small change and indeed it is better - I was always annoyed that the distant landscape looked worse than in RoF. Thank you!

The boys in Moscow will be just about awake to this now, I wonder how long before we get another update so that "everyone gets the same experience".

I really hope they will leave this be, I cannot see how this could give any advantage, it just looks so much better.

Preset HIGH, AA at maximum, default ATI CCC settings and with Bearcat ini version is very detailed with no flickering in the distance @ 1080p

The depth contrast looks better indeed.

Edited by =LD=Hethwill_Khan

Just tried this, holy crap its like playing a different game. Looks so much better now

Just tried it again, and on my low RAM system, it does indeed lengthen loading time the FIRST time you play in a session, but thereafter it seemed to load as quickly as usual.

Plus it really does do a lot for the sense of flying over a vast country.

The more i think about it the more i wonder why this is not an option by default in the menu's.

My computer can handle this easily and i have room left to crank up other stuff. But the options are simply not there..

S!

I did do a few quick test flights last night. It seems the value after the texture is Anisotropic filtering. More of it reduces shimmering, or that is how I understand it. So with lower texture value more AF was applied to reduce the shimmer on distant textures. The only "problem" is now the pop up of trees and stuff, quite low range. But at least bombing and navigation got a lot easier! So I do wonder if we could get advanced settings as the game can look so much better. And I do believe the community could make a TUTORIAL to be posted here, for example, explaining them in more detail.

• Upvote 3

+1 Dhyran!

And this looks sooo gorgeous. All my squadmeteys have it modded like that as well and noone is experiencing trouble with performance.

Please make this officially available or at least dont patch it away!

S!

I did do a few quick test flights last night. It seems the value after the texture is Anisotropic filtering. More of it reduces shimmering, or that is how I understand it. So with lower texture value more AF was applied to reduce the shimmer on distant textures. The only "problem" is now the pop up of trees and stuff, quite low range. But at least bombing and navigation got a lot easier! So I do wonder if we could get advanced settings as the game can look so much better. And I do believe the community could make a TUTORIAL to be posted here, for example, explaining them in more detail.

Tutorial would be nice addition.

Nice. Did anyone tried opposite - make ground intentionally blurred to allow better spotting of aircraft?

S!

Tried the settings Bearcat has. VERY nice looking all round and next to no shimmering. Now the very small impact on FPS could EASILY be compensated by the advanced graphics options. Namely being able to turn OFF the post processing effects that do eat FPS more than this simple edit does. And the game would look more than tenfold better in the process. Food for thought. This small discovery really has been the most positive thing in ages around here, hat off to Penshoon for this! :salute:

Edited by LLv34_Flanker

I have tried this fix...it didn't hurt anything ...but didn't change anything remakably either.I need something that will modify settings to give me a little more contrast...most of the time I feel a little "snow-blind..." :cool:

Edited by Blitzen

I find I get the best images on my screens if I use a little less Brightness and a little more Contrast. It seems to make the colors deeper in appearance. Then again it could just be me. 

• Upvote 1

I have tried this fix...it didn't hurt anything ...but didn't change anything remakably either.I need something that will modify settings to give me a little more contrast...most of the time I feel a little "snow-blind..." :cool:

Sounds realistic to me :)

God please give us a summer map, any map, just so long as there is some green on it...

Sounds realistic to me :)

God please give us a summer map, any map, just so long as there is some green on it...

amen

S!

Looks like the same engine to me. Trees, sky and all that.

EDIT: BoS He111H-6 cockpit looks way better :)

Edited by LLv34_Flanker

Canceled Battle of Moscow title. Nothing new here, move along folks.

I dunno if this is related to this tweak. I made the change in the last to 2048,8 and had twice freezes during two He111 campaigns in external view. Before I flew MP without problems. Maybe linked to external view (maybe my vram gets busted :) although I should have enough). I forgot to say that I haven't had freezes during campaign ever, only occasional cdts.

I dunno if this is related to this tweak. I made the change in the last to 2048,8 and had twice freezes during two He111 campaigns in external view. Before I flew MP without problems. Maybe linked to external view (maybe my vram gets busted :) although I should have enough). I forgot to say that I haven't had freezes during campaign ever, only occasional cdts.

Could be, depending on how the application allocates memory - it is possible that the tweak overfills a buffer somewhere. 

I think something else must be going on today - I ran modified versions of terrain.ini all day yesterday without CTD problems, but today I've run 3 missions in a row in the last couple of hours, first one with modified terrain.ini, next two with stock terrain.ini (after reboot), and I've gotten a "stopped working" CTD in all three missions.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

I think something else must be going on today - I ran modified versions of terrain.ini all day yesterday without CTD problems, but today I've run 3 missions in a row in the last couple of hours, first one with modified terrain.ini, next two with stock terrain.ini (after reboot), and I've gotten a "stopped working" CTD in all three missions.

Is your GPU overheating? Obviously this cannot be the cause of the hang up after landing and exiting - I think that must be a communications issue, but if the game is just stopping when you are flying home (ie after running the GPU hot for a fairly long time) just turning your aircon up a bit might help.