I have been trying to figure out how to setup the brake controls to the toe brake axis on my rudder pedals, but am not having any luck.

Has anyone solved this?

I've had no problems doing this for the German planes that use the dual toe brake approach.  But I'm not sure about what to do about the Russian planes that don't do that.  I tried at first assigning my toe brakes to both the differential (left/right) brake commands and the common brake command (plain "wheel brakes"), thinking the game would know enough to use the former when I was flying Germans and the latter when I was flying Russians (sort of like you can assign the same controller to both the water radiator shutters and the engine cowl shutters because no plane has both), but when I did that it seemed that applying either toe brake on my pedals resulted in the game applying both brakes, so I had to go back and un-assign them from the common/Russian brake command.

They seem to be working now, at least on the Stuka, set like the following:

BoS-Stukabrakecontrols-1.jpg

Pedal brake axis (Toe brake) work only for German planes. For Russian Planes use "Wheel Brakes" - this will work on axis only if axis is exclusive for this function. This planes use the "differential brake" system - like Spitfire.

For example is possible use Alt+Joystick axis Y for "Wheel Brakes". When Alt is pressed the Y axis stop control elevator and control brakes, but this is not practical to use... Use a button/key for "Wheel brakes".

Pedal brake axis (Toe brake) work only for German planes. For Russian Planes use "Wheel Brakes" - this will work on axis only if axis is exclusive for this function. This planes use the "differential brake" system - like Spitfire.

For example is possible use Alt+Joystick axis Y for "Wheel Brakes". When Alt is pressed the Y axis stop control elevator and control brakes, but this is not practical to use... Use a button/key for "Wheel brakes".

Back when I was actively flying it, I had the pedal brakes assigned to my toe brakes on my Saitek Combat Pedals, and the wheel brakes assigned to the red pinky button on my Warthog joystick. Worked very well.

Ok, prop-sim newbie here..... what exactly is the difference between 'toe brakes' and 'wheel' brakes? 

I assigned the left and right wheel brakes to my CH Pro Pedals for the Yak-1 and they don't seem to do anything.   When I land I push the brakes forward on both rudder pedals and I don't slow down at all.    It's a problem.   

27 minutes ago, Jodet said:

Ok, prop-sim newbie here..... what exactly is the difference between 'toe brakes' and 'wheel' brakes? 

I assigned the left and right wheel brakes to my CH Pro Pedals for the Yak-1 and they don't seem to do anything.   When I land I push the brakes forward on both rudder pedals and I don't slow down at all.    It's a problem.   

Some WW2 aircraft had brakes operated by toe pedals. Others (like the Yaks) had a single lever on the joystick/yoke which operated the brakes, applying differential braking if the rudder pedals were deflected. For the Yaks etc you need to assign a key/button for the brake lever.

Edited by AndyJWest

27 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Some WW2 aircraft had brakes operated by toe pedals. Others (like the Yaks) had a single lever on the joystick/yoke which operated the brakes, applying differential braking if the rudder pedals were deflected. For the Yaks etc you need to assign a key/button for the brake lever.

That's helpful.   This button for the brake lever... it's one button for the whole plane, not a 'left button' and 'right button'? 

And what is this braking button for the Yak called?   I can't wait to try it, I've been messing around with getting my landing buttons straight for awhile and making slow progress.    Is it 'wheel brakes'?    'Nose/Tail wheel brakes'?  'Wheels parking brakes on/off'?    I'm looking for what to hit when I land and want to slow/down  stop my airplane.  

Edited by Jodet
  • Like 1

Assign 'Wheel Brakes' to a press and hold button. Use that to slow the plane when landing. To turn press the button and apply rudder to the side you want to turn toward.

Assign tow brakes to your pedals for use with aircraft that have them.

You don't need "Wheels parking brakes on/off" as parking brakes can be set and released by pressing toe brakes fully.

Coward pedal.jpg

Edited by Gordon200
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gordon200 said:

Assign 'Wheel Brakes' to a press and hold button

I find the 'bicycle brake" style lever on the WH stick to be ideal for differential type wheel brakes as on the Yaks and Spits.

7 hours ago, Jodet said:

what exactly is the difference between 'toe brakes' and 'wheel' brakes? 

The difference is the method of operation, both system can brake both wheels, or right or left wheel individually.

With "toe brakes" -Bf 109, Fw 190, P-39, P-40... you press right pedal for brake right wheel and press left pedal for brake left wheel, e.g for taxi and press both simultaneous for brake both wheels, e.g. for slow down after landing.

With "differential brakes" (wheel brakes" - Yak, IL-2, LaGG, Spit... you press a lever* (of joy button) for brake both wheels, e.g. slow down after landing, and for brake  right of left wheel only press the lever (or joy button) and move rudder bar for respective side, a valve linked to rudder bar allow apply brakes only in one wheel, e.g. for taxi.

* VKB MCG and VPC T50 has this lever for brakes. Is possible simulate this lever with twist axis of some joysticks - if use rudder pedals for rudder control instead the "twist".

BTW - For benefit of players using "3-in-1" joystick with "twist" rudder, "differential brakes" (wheel brakes) work for any plane of the game.