Goblin

RSI Star Citizen croudfunding..

Hits $18 000 000 in a matter of hours!

Just this week it's been $1000 000 in funding. Amazing.

I'd spent close to $1000 accumulated not in one shot in that still yet unreleased game and I think the world is going nuts! I love space sim too. My callsign is still the same. A member of a large guild called Imperium.

I wonder if it can possibly live up to the degree of expectation.

My thoughts as well. 

Quite a few of our guys are already into it for a few bucks.   I'm going to wait for release and see if the hype justifies the expenditure.

I feel a bit embarassed. I've never ever heard of this game. :unsure::blush:  :sorry:

And some plegded $ 15.000. :o::wacko:

For that amount of money I would have done many other things. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Yes one of my guild mates spent $5000 to get the Space Marshall pledge and another close to $2000. Most of us spent in the range of hundreds, and me myself spent close to $1000.

Expectations are high, people are desperate for a good decent enough PC game.

Just imagine what he could've done with the money he wasted on that Wing Commander movie.

I just can't believe that you have to spend 180 EUR to fly that big ship. And then, when you're not happy with it, you have to spend money on a different ship. And of course, you can buy the ingame currency with real money (which usually means, that you probably have to spend a lot of time and effort to get money in the game, without spending real money).

I've been a huge fan of Wing Commander, X-Wing/Tie-Fighter, Freespace etc., but i'll wait for the release and then eventually buy it (or pledge/pre-order it, if i see something really fascinating, which quite frankly didn't happen so far). The graphics certainly look good, but that's not enough for me to spend money on.

I wish them all the best though and hope the actual game will eventually become worth all this hype.

Well, you don't have to buy any big ship, $40 will get you the base game, and one small ship.From there you can earn any other ship in game, if you want to put the time in. People are paying in to support the game, and make it as good as it can be with stretch goals.Seems to be the way things are done these days!

Ok, so you can unlock ships in game? Did not know that. Then it's OK I guess.

Still, not enough actual info for me to send them money yet. If it is a worthy Freelancer and/or Wing Commander successor, then I will buy it.

Yes everything that is being sold for real cash right now is to fund the game, and will be available to purchase in game. It may take more time to buy the stuff in game but it will be possible. That's the road I'm taking. Starting with a basic ship and will work my way up in game.

Yes, you can work your way up from Aurora, the most basic ship and all the ships can be purchased in-game using in-game credits.

There are perks for backing up the game early like getting a free pistol if the pledge reachs $16 million and LTI. For those who haven't bought the game package for game access, you can ask original or veteran backers to get the game package with LTI ships via gifting. For new backers, if they buy they will only get like 2 months of ship insurance.

Every pledger who backs before $16 million will receive a laser pistol. Keep your ship safe from boarders with a pistol by your side.

Is it getting outta hand? Now it reaches $20million :o: .

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

I started to have little doubts when they said they're going to have FPS type of game. Just too ambitious and too many promises to be fulfilled.

Edited by Wolger

I am debating about this game.  I'm not really into online multiplayer games, but it sounds like there is a good single player startup.

However, it looks like if you lose your ship, you lose it.  No going back to a save game to try it again - you either need to buy a new ship (and they can be expensive!) or fly as crew for someone else for awhile.  I am not clear how you lose a ship in space combat or mishap, but don't lose yourself along with it.  The gentleman that loses his ship in the trailer looks very much as though he will never need another.

Everything seems to be an add-on, from insurance to new ships, but I think I know some things can be bought in game with in game money, or perhaps captured.  Not clear on what a new ship costs, but I bet it won't be a couple missions as a gunner on a freighter.

Still, like BoS, I love the "Yeah, sure the PC is Dead..." attitude.

Yes, you can work your way up from Aurora, the most basic ship and all the ships can be purchased in-game using in-game credits.

There are perks for backing up the game early like getting a free pistol if the pledge reachs $16 million and LTI. For those who haven't bought the game package for game access, you can ask original or veteran backers to get the game package with LTI ships via gifting. For new backers, if they buy they will only get like 2 months of ship insurance.

Is it getting outta hand? Now it reaches $20million :o: .

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

I started to have little doubts when they said they're going to have FPS type of game. Just too ambitious and too many promises to be fulfilled.

Yeah but they will have $20 million to play with, and I suspect that by the time of release they will have $30 million plus...

Edited by JG4_Uther

Pretty much shows how far down the pecking order flight simulation is, in terms of numbers.

It's interesting to consider just how much people yearn for a narratively rich environment such as Star Citizen is promising.  Surely there must be something the flight sim genre can learn from this?  If the only thing SC offered was realistic physics and damage models, with just a rudimentary stab at what it means to be a part of that world (as we have come to accept from our titles) - could they possibly have achieved such record breaking support?

That's exactly what I was thinking last night, F_IV. Imagine those clips of Star Citizen with spacecraft coming in to land at empty generic runways, without people talking and waving them in. Nor pilots running to their ships, jumping in, and strapping themselves in.

It really would so much in flight sims if the airfields were fleshed out a bit - even just with static crew. In modded IL2 it worked very well.

I also wasnt aware of this.To be honest it looks impressive.Im not so much a fan of sci-fi but Im pretty sure I will be getting this once it is released.The graphics alone convinced me.

I wonder though what kind of PC specs would be required to run it on highest settings.Crysis 1 all over again :)?

Edited by royraiden

It is based on the crysis engine I believe, and current minimum specs graphics is GTX480. I wouldn't even attempt to run it with that though...

It is based on the crysis engine I believe, and current minimum specs graphics is GTX480. I wouldn't even attempt to run it with that though...

Im sure the best PC specs available at this moment wont be able to max it out when it is released.Hopefully by then I would have a new rig for all these awesome games/sims :)

Edited by royraiden

so they will just continue raising and adding goals until game release or there is some fix amount they are aiming for?

Edited by Yaklover

I signed up at their forums before they started their kickstarter because I thought that his focus was going to be on a good single player experience. Having followed the progression of the game, it seems like the major goal is to make a nice fat retirement fund for Roberts.  The prices they are asking for some of the ships is insane.  I think I donated $60 when they first started collecting, got the golden ticket, whatever that is for, and will probably play through the single player campaign and be done with the game.

I think his overwhelming success is going to flood kickstarter with similar projects from other well known developers that probably don't need the initial investment, but are just wanting the added monetary gain and hype.  I think it is detrimental to the smaller kickstarter projects that really do need the money to progress.  A case in point would be the failed kickstarter for Rogue System, a flight sim quality space game. Their campaign started just before Star Citizen and in my opinion, would have been a more engaging game.

Never heard of Rogue System, that one seemed to fail hard! Strange how some kickstarters just go insane and others struggle so badly. I doubt Roberts thought he would be looking at $20 million now.

Looks fantastic... Mmm, Squadron 42 or Mercenary?

The video on the site is amazing by the way! Plus a good talk through with Roberts and his vision for the game, outstanding!

The latest hangar module patch fixed a lot of bugs in the discount hangar with the Aurora. Works pretty good now.

Been a backer since April. I've stop myself at $80 with a 325a ship. The FPS part of the game will be the easier part cuz crytek 3 supports it out of the box. They just need to make the game assets for it. Man I wish WWII had this level of development and gameplay originality. Who wouldn't want to climb out of the cockpit then go chill at the pilots lounge!

• Upvote 1

The lure of buying the ships is not only to have them in your hanger during launch, but also free hanger space and free lifetime insurance on the hulls, so I am sure people have been as many as they can and even the biggest that they can afford just to gain these perks.

With a Grade A PR campaign, SC has obviously sold rather well to the masses :). Honestly, I think if you did something similar with a WW2 flightsim you'd get a similar result, however it would be more than just a flightsim as it would pretty much require the technology to enter an aircraft, walk around it if appropriate and then wander around the airbase in first person view. That would be pretty cool though, choose your pilots side, customize within historical boundaries and then be able to approach the CO, receive a mission, walk or run to aircraft, fly the mission, land and walk to the debriefing officer etc etc. You wouldn't be able to raise funds like RSI, cannot just make up aircraft and offer the same perks in a study sim.

I think if you did something similar with a WW2 flightsim you'd get a similar result,

Umm.... No.

There are not enough people on the planet that do what we do to get anywhere near the funding level of Star Citizen.  If there were, CloD would not have failed, RoF wouldn't need to be "free to play, pay to win",  and DCS WW2 would not have to beg for crowd source funding.

Gentlemen, we are dinosaurs.

Be sure.

Umm.... No.

There are not enough people on the planet that do what we do to get anywhere near the funding level of Star Citizen.  If there were, CloD would not have failed, RoF wouldn't need to be "free to play, pay to win",  and DCS WW2 would not have to beg for crowd source funding.

Gentlemen, we are dinosaurs.

Be sure.

I am sure that I have no idea why anyone would claim RoF is "pay to win", but I needed a laugh.  Thank you!

Yeah, RoF is far from "pay to win." It's actually just pay for certain plane from a certain era to join certain scenarios that use that certain plane and focus on that certain era. The "pay to win" nonsense is from real dinosaurs that think $50 should get every plane ever made and every theater ever participated in with the current level of detailed visual and physics modelling.

As a matter of fact, RSI is "pay to win." You pay for the biggest baddest ships that fight the teeny tiniest with far less weaponry, that's the definition of "pay to win."

I paid the $40 for SC, contemplating another ship above the base one I get - BUT I will be waiting until something more than the hangar module is out before I throw any more money that way.

Edited by FuriousMeow

For the record, I have purchased every aircraft in RoF.

Perhaps "pay to win" is not quite correct.

Pay to have a totally useful sim, is probably better.

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead.  Is anyone here still following SC these days?  They seemed to get a huge amount of money up front on the promise of a host of immersive features but they seem to be very much out of the news of late.

The last report from a reputable independent source - Forbes Magazine - described the current state of SC development as "incompetence and mismanagement on a galactic scale". Says it all, really. Maybe the $242 million or whatever it is the 'citizens' have coughed up so far will result in an actual game one day, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for it being worth the money spent.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2019/05/01/exclusive-the-saga-of-star-citizen-a-video-game-that-raised-300-millionbut-may-never-be-ready-to-play/amp/

• Thanks 1