Zak

Developer Diary, Part 84 - Discussion

Hi Everybody!

Despite the long-known tradition we’re not going to update this Friday. So, everyone who planned to complete another chapter in the campaign, or take part in a new multiplayer community event should feel free to start any time because there won’t be any temporary interuptions for updating.

The next significant update that we’re preparing for is going to happen next week. We plan to enable the command system. Yes, it was partially enable some time ago but it’s finally getting proper interface which makes the entire feature more valuable and more easy to use, of course.

Tho system consists of three categories: gestures, commands to wingmen and commands to gunners.

post-7693-0-32776100-1414776256_thumb.pn

The name of the first category speaks for itself, and these commands don’t actually play any significat role in gameplay. The other two are on the contrary usefull and will serve you in many occasions. Commands to wingmen grant you full control over your flight partners, from tactical re-formation to engaging specific targets. Of course, you can always just tell the bots to return to the base, or make them try to do exactly what you do and to searh for firing solutions identical to yours.

post-7693-0-99030000-1414776283_thumb.pn

post-7693-0-38509300-1414776273_thumb.pn

The last but not least category - commands to gunners on planes with crew. You’re able to control their actions and set specific reaction patterns at any moment. Attempt to fly through a dangerous area or wreck havoc upon the enemy - it’s all much easier with the new GUI. Speaking of stealth tactics, that should really be possible now. Since enemy AI is not able to see through clouds and sees very badly in the night time, your control over gunners’ behavior is particularly handy and can save your plane in a critical situation.

post-7693-0-59483400-1414776310_thumb.pn

You’ll get your hands on the new command system next week. That’s when the update with a bunch of other nice improvements is going to be deployed to the public version.

Meanwhile I’ve started this topic for players who might want to host a new dedicated server in the North America, for US and Canada mostly. Looks like many pilots really need it, as a training server particularly. That’s why I ask everyone who’s ready to start and maintain a multiplayer server to tell me about it. Then I’ll pick one pilot who’ll then get access to the necessary software for one week. If this server gets good feedback from users, the host will keep for another week, and so on until dserver.exe goes public.

Enjoy the weekend, pilots!

Full news

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 6

Good to see the command system, but I would suggest to place it in the upper left corner.

• Upvote 2

Good to see the command system, but I would suggest to place it in the upper left corner.

We'll gather feedback and consider changes if they are really needed. Left upper corner is really a but more usual for such thing. So, we'll see.

Should be smaller and unobtrusive. I suggest it to overlap ( on top in normal and replace in expert ) the tech chat area.

Kudos for the NA server. Hope a good owner steps up.

• Upvote 1

when F1,F2 and F3 ist for the command system, where are the commands for the sights/views?

btw the command system looks nice!

Edited by DonJosh

the command menu looks great, I agree that perhaps the upper corner would be the ideal placement.

Great news! Thanks again and again for the improvement of this simulation, it is more and more a great simulation. ;)

Do not make it to complicated please so that the mews are to complex to remember. :cool:

Edited by senseispcc

when F1,F2 and F3 ist for the command system, where are the commands for the sights/views?

Tap "~" to activate the command system, and sights controls turn off for a while.

• Upvote 2

can all of the new commands be hot keyed?

It works now and it'll remain available.

• Upvote 1

Menu looks great. I agree that in the upper left corner and a smaller font would be best (Iron habit of IL2 1946). We all learn the same by heart and blindfolded :cool:

Hi Zak,

Do you also plan to revise formations and formation flying in general? My wingmen have hard time to follow and keep up with me even I drop my speed down+they stay quite behind when in formation=hard to see them.

Indeed, awaited feature! Looking forward to it!

Have a nice break! ;)

Cheers,

Edited by PA-Sniv

Hi Zak,

Do you also plan to revise formations and formation flying in general? My wingmen have hard time to follow and keep up with me even I drop my speed down+they stay quite behind when in formation=hard to see them.

Hi Brano,

I understand what you're talking about but I'd really like to see a video showing this AI behavior you're speaking about.

Thanks for the update. Looks nice the command interface. Is some kind of music or sound being planned for the menu's in the future? Atm i dont have any sound at all in the menu until i load a mission.

@Zak:

I know it's been asked a hundret times already, but when can I change my ingame-name???

It's getting nasty!

It prevents me and sooo many others from playing MP, see I did my campaigns got my unlocks and now wanna fly online with friends and comrades.

I can't even give u guys a feedback on bugs for example and so on and on and on... :mellow:

I got my purchase-key, lets say I bought it from s/o else and I make a complete new registration??Anything!

But please solve this problem now!

Thank you!

Great news!

This is something I've really been looking forward to.

:)

Hi Zak,

I actually think this problem has gotten a lot better with the recent updates.

OK,I will try to record some.With hard to see I mean they should be positioned more forward,now it seems formation is too deep behind.

Hi Zak - how are sales going?

This is the most important topic. I hope for the best.

Cheers!

It's evidently a commercial secret so I can't tell specific info.

So if you see any big announcement about a new game in the series, then you may judge about the sales. Obviously not today :)

@Zak:

I know it's been asked a hundret times already, but when can I change my ingame-name???

Greiff, please PM with the nick name change request and I'll take care of it as soon as I have the tool for it. It's just not yet available.

• Upvote 1

the new command menu looks good. But it need to be much much much smaller and located in the upper left corner.

S!

Re-size it to be smaller and locate in top left corner = very good.

Edited by LLv34_Flanker

Interesting to see people concerns here are size and location, could it be made a window the user could manipulate in terms of screen position and size?

• Upvote 4

S!

Top left corner = where IL-2 series had it. Easy to find. Place puts it usually against sky texture = easy to see etc. Smaller size, less obtrusive.

A idea, should it not be better if the commands should be on the left side or right side of the screen,! :o:

Edited by senseispcc

Hi Brano,

I understand what you're talking about but I'd really like to see a video showing this AI behavior you're speaking about.

Hi Zak,

Video attached.It is rather long as i wanted to record take off,getting into formation,slowing down,speeding up and overal formation composition.I hope you will not fall asleep while watching ;)

Zak,

This is just one more example of the devs determination to make a great sim even better. The improved commands will add greatly to the sense of immersion. Thank you!