Bteam

why the P 40 wrecked plane and not the P 39 ?

Hello Everyone,

I saw and voted on the post released a few days ago for the P 40, but since then I can't keep asking myself why do we have to chose in between P40 and Hurricane when the P39 was from far the most successful foreign plane used by the Russian forces....

http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/articles/romanenko/p-39/part2.htm

what P 40 are we going to fly ? cause many versions were received and not all of them had the same armement or defenses though they had mostely the same Alison Engine....

Mean while, in the Russian ace score board we see no P 40 on top but many P39

http://wio.ru/aces/ace2.htm

Could this post please be taken into account... I would love to see some clear answer from the developpers on why excluding the P39 ?

Regards

• Upvote 1

I thought that poll was ages old?

I think the reason might be, that the P-39 is more or less a given addition to BoS at some point. Especially if, as some have speculated, the first expansion covers the Kuban campaign in 1943.

Because the P-39 was not at Stalingrad (i know, not true for all current BoS planes either).

But it seems to me, like those polls lost a bit of weight overall. Their original plan was to release expansions with a bunch of planes and if i read the official posts correctly, they probably plan to release some earlier (summer/autumn) BoS planes in addition to that. And neither the P-40 or Hurricane are high on the list of those planes.

I think the chances to see the P-39 are currently way higher than those for the P-40.

That's if we get expansions/new planes at all.

Edited by Matt

Speaking for myself... It is like opening a warbirds pin-ups calendar for 2015, I immediately notice that the P-40 lady is way more sexy than the others ;)

( shameless pub to a site but damn, no flight sim man cave is complete without one of those! )

Voting is always biased towards personal preference. 

Edited by =LD=Hethwill_Khan
  • Upvote 1

P-39 would be great. I sort of missed that one in the original Il-2 series back in the day. Hope I get to make up for it this time around

Love the p39 looks, but I've died more deaths from poor airmanship flying the p39 than enemy fire in IL2 FB, both sp and mp...

Red

Speaking for myself... It is like opening a warbirds pin-ups calendar for 2015, I immediately notice that the P-40 lady is way more sexy than the others ;)

( shameless pub to a site but damn, no flight sim man cave is complete without one of those! )

Voting is always biased towards personal preference. 

+ 1   ,...going fore miss April

You are indeed speaking for yourself. 

February Spitgirl (I know, I know...) is by far the most attractive, but I have always been one for brunettes with dark eyes...

• Upvote 1

;)

that's why it brings them by the dozens. and damn if the birds don't make them ladies look even more cool, especially the P-40 one :P

* sorry for the derail *

The Cobra versions indeed surpass the combined P-40 versions delivered to the USSR under the lend lease by 3 times.

It is just a popularity contest and i am sure we don't mind having all 4 lend lease birds open, Hawks, Cobras, Spits and Hurris.

Why the P40?
because the person who made the poll put the P-40 in there.

Why the P40?

because people voted this popular plane.

If you want to get an accurate answer, please take contact with the people that Voted P-40, instead of something you prefer.
and please know that this was a user poll, and it includes opinions.
and opinions are not official content announcements.

do'nt panic, do not interpret anything into that Poll, it does not change anything about the future of BoS.
Ask the people who voted for the answers, all else is speculation.

I loved the P39 in the original IL2.  It was so different with the nose gear and engine placement.  The only way I could ever get out of that flat spin alive was by bailing.

Gotta love a fighter with a car door!

Chuck Yeager really liked the P39, other people did not.

I love the P39 it was the first planes I have flown in the original IL2 in the demo even before we got the gem of a game.  But the P39 did apear only in great numbers during the Kursk battle and mostly on the southern or central South fronts. This is maybe why it is not include in this game! :huh:

Gotta love a fighter with a car door!

Chuck Yeager really liked the P39, other people did not.

Yeah he did.. and he did things in a P-39 that other pilots were afraid to do. When he was in Europe with Anderson flying Mustangs it was said that everytime he came back he had popped rivets on his plane.

The P-39 and the La were my two favorite planes in IL2.

I saw a reply post from one of the devs (I believe in the steam forum) that suggested that the p-40 was not on the radar at this point. I would rather see the p-39 as well. MiG-3 first though.... :salute:

I16 and MiG3 are most probable if there will be summer/autumn map expansion in Q1 2015.I wouldn´t count for another "Battle of..." release till Xmas 2015.

could be too costly to implement US planes :cool:

Good ol' capitalism :( profiteering off the war 70 years later.

• Upvote 1

I suggest to change the name of this thread.P40 was by no means a wrecked plane :acute:

• Upvote 1

The P-40 better come before the P-39, and especially the Hurricane. The P-40 actually saw combat over Stalingrad.

dd32004reviewrk_cover.jpg

Edited by Silky

Well let me guess, the p40's gonna start with only 2 HMGs(which Soviet P40s were historically armed with) and we're gonna have to grind unlocks to get the armament to 40 HMGs?

beause she's crap and she's beuatiful... and she's a curtiss like the jenny 

I voted for the P-40 because in the context of Stalingrad the P-40 is the historical choice. I would assume that a Kuban Battle expansion or something else in the future would then feature the P-39 as a primary type - it being a key lend lease aircraft in the VVS service during the Kuban battles and elsewhere after that.

Well let me guess, the p40's gonna start with only 2 HMGs(which Soviet P40s were historically armed with) and we're gonna have to grind unlocks to get the armament to 40 HMGs?

From a quick read it seems like the P-40s at Stalingrad were probably P-40E models with six .50cal machine guns as standard. Following BoS typical unlock system I would guess that bombs or possibly even rockets (I believe a few P-40s were fitted with Russian rockets) would appear as unlocks.

If not the P-40E and it turns out that they were P-40B or C models then two .50cal and four .30cal (or .303 - not sure where these Tomahawks came from) machine guns as standard.

Yeah he did.. and he did things in a P-39 that other pilots were afraid to do. When he was in Europe with Anderson flying Mustangs it was said that everytime he came back he had popped rivets on his plane.

The P-39 and the La were my two favorite planes in IL2.

I loved it when Bud Anderson related talking to a German pilot years after the war, and the German asked him if he ever flew the P-39?

"You just hit them any ol place and they go tumbling in"  

I have a soft spot for the P40 and P39 both. Basically anything that I'm not supposed to do well with. :)

I built plenty of P39/Wildcat missions from Henderson in the old IL2 for CoOps. Good times.

From a quick read it seems like the P-40s at Stalingrad were probably P-40E models with six .50cal machine guns as standard. Following BoS typical unlock system I would guess that bombs or possibly even rockets (I believe a few P-40s were fitted with Russian rockets) would appear as unlocks.

If not the P-40E and it turns out that they were P-40B or C models then two .50cal and four .30cal (or .303 - not sure where these Tomahawks came from) machine guns as standard.

Well, we have the La5 instead of the La5F(which was also presented at Stalingrad), so I'd not be surprised if the Soviet'll get the worst P40 instead of the P40E.

Oh well, at least the VVS'll get something that can dive with Germans and doesn't have it's control surface stuck in concrete past 500km/h.

I loved it when Bud Anderson related talking to a German pilot years after the war, and the German asked him if he ever flew the P-39?

"You just hit them any ol place and they go tumbling in"  

Yeah, because of the mid engine configuration the P39 was extremely vulnerable to attack from behind and above.

Yeah, because of the mid engine configuration the P39 was extremely vulnerable to attack from behind and above.

...and improper input from the pilot.

Wasn't it a common russian mod to remove the outer machine guns, leaving 4? That would be a nice field unlock.

Well, we have the La5 instead of the La5F(which was also presented at Stalingrad), so I'd not be surprised if the Soviet'll get the worst P40 instead of the P40E.

I don't think that is correct. The engine trials for the La-5F started in December 1942 with production beginning soon after (at the Gorkii facility) and the first units received them in March. The Stalingrad battle proper was over by then. A candidate for the Kuban battle.

5 GIAP went into battle with the early La-5 during the Uranus counter offensive.

My first choice is always the P-39; I just always liked it.  The Airacobra was like the Daffy Duck of US fighters... it was not well understood by the American fighter pilots (for the most part that is, not all), it had no respect, and it was grossly mis-recorded by pre-1990's Western sources when it came to its Soviet use.  I still run into people that continue to state the P-39 was liked by the Soviet pilots (solely) because it was a great tank-buster (and it had reliable radio equipment).  When I quote newer historical literature and talk about the wrong translation/interpretation of what close support to troops meant in the Soviet documents (that is, protection of ground troops which is something like intercepting enemy aircraft so that the friendly soldiers are safe), I get weird looks.

Still today I play that first P-39 mission from the first Russian demo of IL-2 where you take off during rain to intercept a formation of 4 Ju-88s.

On the other hand, the P-40 and Hurricane are both relevant in the Eastern Front, so I'd like all represented.

The P-40 had a deeper sense in this poll. It was meant to be the counterpart to the additional german plane  in the other poll, namely the Mc.202 or IAR-80.

Both of which are not great performers and match well against the P-40, not so against the Aeracobra. Also the Cobra was more a multifunctional gun platform used for different tasks rather than a pure fighter, whihc sets it apart from the german counterparts.

Also P-40 is pretty and 1600 bullets of brownings will be more than a joy to shoot with I suppose. :biggrin:

The MC.202 isn't that bad of an airplane. It just has weak armament. I'd love to get the I16, Mc.202, P40, IAR-80, P-39, and every other mass produced WWII aircraft with their respective theaters.

But I would like the P-39 over the P-40 as it has more character, but only if it fits the theater. And if the Kuban is next, then - the P-39 should fit well there. But for expansions on the BoS theater with a spring or fall map - Mc.202, IAR-80, P-40, I-16 and Yak-7 (thought I saw mention of that last one there). Some non-fighter role aircraft would be nice too - Hs-123, Hs-129, Bf-110 (I think at least one JG was operating there with them), SB-2, and more.

Obviously fighters sell and attract the most, but I'd love to get some of the non-fighter role aircraft above and some less represented aircraft like the Mc.202 and IAR-80. I'd also love the P-39, and then the P-40, but I don't care. Not a Pokeman person but the tagline from that show "Gotta catch 'em all" is how I am with WWI and WWII air combat simulators.