Pavlov's House

I absolutely could not go another minute without trying to find it, it wasn't very hard to find Pavlov's House :cool:. Huge props to the devs! I don't even want to imagine how much time they put into the map with such accuracy. (Sorry my graphics are set to Low, I'd like to see what it looks like at Ultra)

Grid 350, numpad 2

N5cqSk9.png

Pavlov's top left, Zabo's below, Flour Mill is on the right.
cup37.JPG

Pavlov's House
Pavlov%27s_House.jpg

It looks like the devs demolished Zabolotnogo's house which is on the left.. The mill is just out of the picture at the bottom left corner.

dom_2.gif

The iconic Flour Mill across the street from the apartments.
ER24MZ3l.jpg

If only there were ground units actually fighting in the city (at least people running around to give the appearance), Stalingrad would truely come to life in this game. :happy:

For those who already have the misson builder, (or those who want to find other historical landmarks, hopefully they're all there!), here's a very nice reference of the factory district. Prime Stuka targets...
It would be very nice if we got a summer map where all the buildings were still in place.

*Huge Photo* (Bread factory in photo is the one shown above)
https://chindits.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/stalingrad-factory-district.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

I hadn't realised it was modelled into the landscape so accurately - nice find and interesting background info. I still remember defending Pavlov's House in Call of Duty all those years back - an incredibly difficult part of the game to beat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I still remember defending Pavlov's House in Call of Duty all those years back - an incredibly difficult part of the game to beat.

Was that World at War? It took me a week's worth of tries to make it to the stairs of the Reichstag while playing on Veteran. Only CoD game I truly enjoyed...

And very cool detail with Pavlov's House! Icing on the cake would be infantry running to and from various buildings.

• Upvote 1

Was that World at War? It took me a week's worth of tries to make it to the stairs of the Reichstag while playing on Veteran. Only CoD game I truly enjoyed...

And very cool detail with Pavlov's House! Icing on the cake would be infantry running to and from various buildings.

Nope, it was the original Call of Duty, back when it was actually good. Pavlov's House was my favorite map on multiplayer.

• Upvote 2

pavlov you mean the guy with the dog?

god i have to go to psicology class for my master in 30 minutes and i cant stand it i think ill skip it

i think theres a cool statue i love somewhere as well

You're thinking of the "Motherland Calls" statue on Mamayev Kurgan? I do want to find Mamayev Kurgan next! (Even though it's just a hill lol)

Edited by Silky

yeah some months ago i could give you some nice out of this world interpretation of that statue but i can not put my finger on it now

amazing detail loving work by the devs hats off

yeah some months ago i could give you some nice out of this world interpretation of that statue but i can not put my finger on it now

amazing detail loving work by the devs hats off

1. That really is a shame.

2. Absolutely right.

• Upvote 1

From high up, Mamayev Kurgan is unmissable. It squeezes the city at its narrowest point, just to the west of that big railway loop around some factories.

stalingrad_zps4cf0a2b8.jpg

(Correct me someone, if I've got my map wrong!)

Low down it's quite a lot more ambiguous, because it doesn't stick up like a dramatic little mountain. It's big and broad and flat. It still commands that end of the city, but it's not like Montmartre or Edinburgh Castle or something.

I love the city in game. There are so many things that I just couldn't picture in my mind when I read about them, such as the gullies that were so important in the battle, but which make perfect sense when you're rattling down the volga at 20 metres in your Yak 1. The city we have in-game is a real labour of love. Care has been lavished upon it.

See this thread for more maps!

Edited by No601_Swallow
  • Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...

Even if they aren't able to make a completed; not bombed out Stalingrad, I would still love to at least see the buildings given up to date models.

I think one of my favorite areas is this rail yard. I honestly can't tell you how much suffering I went through trying to make my way through here in RO2. :P

20200615133748_1.thumb.jpg.e880462ed72e2ffbebf95dc06c9cad68.jpg

PS: free cam is a thing, fellas. Nobody will judge you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, [CPT]milopugdog said:

Even if they aren't able to make a completed; not bombed out Stalingrad, I would still love to at least see the buildings given up to date models.

I think one of my favorite areas is this rail yard. I honestly can't tell you how much suffering I went through trying to make my way through here in RO2. :P

20200615133748_1.thumb.jpg.e880462ed72e2ffbebf95dc06c9cad68.jpg

PS: free cam is a thing, fellas. Nobody will judge you.

The rail network is another thing perfectly modelled. And it is very relevant too as a nav reference, the tennis racket specially.

I also played Red Orchestra 2 quite a lot and it was nice to spot many familiar places from the air in this game. The grain elevator is maybe the easiest to find. I remember seeing those statues in RO2 too Reggie_Mental posted, they were behind the railway station.

• Upvote 1

You can also see Univermag in Il2. And the Red Oktober, Traktorni, and Barrikady factories. Also, Gumrak station, of course next to the Gumrak airfield. Fallen fighters square, the grain elevator. Also, Spartanovka.

Take a tour, see how many you can find:

2092924172_CityPlanStalingradJuni1942.thumb.jpg.e2e569a9a6515054abb3863deea9c97b.jpg

The love that goes into the IL-2 series is always something that impressed me. Detailed ruins of Stalingrad modeled with details based on the real layout? Check! Stars that twinkle with atmospheric ripples? Check. Buttons, switches and levers that do all the right things so far as I can tell? Check. This sim has eclipses modeled for goodness sake. That's commitment to detail.

I have often thought how nice it would be if someone could create a Treasure Hunt scenario, using these existing features and perhaps even adding some i.e. a group of particular vehicles etc. Each find would then reveal a clue to the next one. How that would be done I don't know, but it would really allow the Po-2 to be used to good effect, low and slow. Sightseeing with a purpose.

23 hours ago, [CPT]milopugdog said:

I remember that map well in RO:Ostfront!

Edited by LukeFF
1 hour ago, Lemsip said:

I made this video a while ago as I was also interested in the attention to detail

Nice video. One thing that stands out is that the grain elevator in Il2 compared to RO2.

In RO2 they got the color wrong, during the battle is was unpainted gray concrete color and was only painted after the war iirc.

Edited by Legioneod
6 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Nice video. One thing that stands out is that the grain elevator in Il2 compared to RO2.

In RO2 they got the color wrong, during the battle is was unpainted gray concrete color and was only painted after the war iirc.

Yes, IL-2 is actually more accurate in this case, as you say the colour is post war in RO2, but also the extension on the elevator's left is a post-war addition.