BlackSix

Flight and damage models physics

The purpose of this topic is to provide us, the devs, with readable and structured information about the issues of corresponding types

How should a message be formated:
1) Make sure that the issue is actually a game bug, and it has not been reported yet
2) Copy the template text (as shown below this list)
3) Fill in the blanks
4) If you are not reporting a new error but want to add to somebody's message, please, just quote it and use the same template for your addition.

Recommended form:

Brief description:
Detailed description, conditions:
Additional assets (videos, screenshots, logs):
Your PC config data (OS, drivers, specific software):

The topic is under strict moderation rules. Any message that does not follow the guidelines will be deleted without warning. This topic is for bug reports.

• Upvote 1

Brief description: Tank cannot be destroyed. Long bursts of combined SHVAS and SHVAK hit continuously a german tank from the side on body and turret. Multiple passes. Tank continues in perfect shape. Impacts on tank are displayed but then he has not a slight damage. 
Detailed description, conditions: Campaign Uranus ground support full mission with IL2. Normal mode.

1. Brief description: Bf109 G-2 can't stall with fully downtrimmed stabilizer

Detailed description, conditions: Trimming the stabilizer fully forward (stage 2) will eliminate any spin tendencies on recently updated 109 G-2 even with full positive elevator deflection. When flying horizontally at such conditions with turned off engine and full elevator deflection the aircrafts will not start stalling at 160km/h and below. Ailerouns are still fucntional correctly indicating that there's no stall appearing.

Same thing can be noticed with high engien power settings at high angle of attacks.

2. Brief description: IL-2 elevator authority issue

Detailed description, conditions: The IL-2 has a sustained elevator authority down to speeds of 20km/h. It can truely hover in the air when pulled up vertically with max. power and RPM without loosing controll up to said speed. In all tests I conducted authority wasn't only strong enought to hold but to even pull or push it further until passing 20km/h.

3. Brief description: Ju 87 engine model issue

Detailed description, conditions: The Ju 87 suffers from strange issues in terms of RPM and manifold pressure behaviour. When takeing off with max throttle and lowest pitch the RPM will contiuesly jump between 2600 and 2400 until reaching 100km/h. At a second test setting prop pitch to half and throttleing up gently ill raise the RPM to 2600, once the plane starts rolling with 20km/h it falls down to half. It's the only plane that behaves so extraordinarily currently.

4. Brief description: Yak-1 and Lagg-3 govenor effectiveness

Detailed description, conditions: I've performed high speed dive tests with all availabel fighters ingame to test at which speeds engines start to overrev.

Test conditions: QMB, 6000m, 70-80° dive, max throttle, max. RPM (for russian planes), fully opened radiators.

Results: Both the 190 and the 109 tend to exeed their govenor's limit at 740km/h IAS at which the RPM starts increasing rapidly. On Yak-1 and Lagg-3 on the other hand the govenor can still keep the RPM continuesly at 2700 up beyond 900km/h IAS without danger of the engine to overrev

Edited by [Jg26]5tuka
  • Upvote 2

Brief description: G-2 throttle non linear

Detailed description, conditions: The F-4 got fixed, but the G-2 still has this problem since its release. Everything from 0.8 ATA to 1.3 ATA happens in the upper 15-20% of the slider axis, anything below that is just "idle" basically. Not sure if it's a bug or a historical feature, but it certainly makes it difficult to control the engine.

I use a Saitek pro flight throttle quadrant, but I hear everyone else experiences the same.

• Upvote 2

Brief description:  

Stuka tail wheel broken when unlocked

When the tail wheel on the Stuka is unlocked, it turns and bends and looks broken and spins the plane around in circles when trying to taxi.  This has happened in several missions over the last couple of days, whether just sitting on the parking area or having started to taxi.

Just sitting on the parking area, without starting engine - the first shot shows the tail wheel while still locked:

BoS-Stukatailwheelissue-1.jpg

What happens as soon as you unlock the tail wheel (which explains why I've been driving in circles and not able to taxi) - the first screenshot shows the wheel deforming and bending a bit while starting to turn:

BoS-Stukatailwheelissue-15.jpg

Then it settles in as fully-turned sideways, after which the aircraft just spins in circles when the engine is started, regardless of throttle or rudder settings:

BoS-Stukatailwheelissue-2.jpg

Intel Core i7-4770K @3.5 GHz

ASUS ROG Maximus VI MB
16GB RAM
EVGA GTX 980, 4 GB
Realtek ROG SupremeFX audio
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

• Upvote 1

Brief description: 109/190 horizontal/pitch issues - magnified tremendously when half the horiz stab is gone

Detailed description, conditions: Losing half of the horizontal stab causes the 109 and 190 become less stable in horizontal maneuvering, but somehow also more maneuverable in the pitch flight vector. I lost half my horiz stab in the 190 tonight, and any drastic elevator movements caused controlled flight departure but it was ridiculous because I could actually turn tighter with half my tail gone. It was almost like I gained 3 times the elevator input and lost all horizontal stabilization. The 109 behaves the same, not as extreme, when half the tail is gone. Certainly something up there, and hopefully the cause can be identified and rectified. Only the 109 and 190 exhibit this pitch instability that is intensified when half the horizontal stabilizer is gone. The other aircraft without adjustable horizontal stabilizers do not exhibit this behavior. I'm sure the plane should become more difficult to control when half the horizontal stab is gone, but it shouldn't be able to turn better/tighter with half of it gone because half the elevator is gone so there would be a reduction in control surface area which would lead to less force so the aircraft should be less maneuverable in the pitch flight vector.

Brief description: In the FW 190 when losing my right Aileron, it has no impact on my ability to roll left or right 
Detailed description, conditions: while flying in a steep dive, I lost my right aileron, but this had no impact on my ability to roll the aircraft.

Intel I7, 8 gig RAM, Windows 7

Brief description: Radiator switch animation inverted
Detailed description, conditions: After switching to manual radiator on the Bf 109 F-4 the switch animation is invewrted. If you close the radiator (press the assign key, % are decreasing) the switch goes to "Auf" (open), if you are opening the radiator, the switch goes to "Zu" (close).

post-14028-0-65347100-1420280401_thumb.png
Your PC config data (OS, drivers, specific software): See signature

Brief description:

Mixture control on URSS planes not realistic/non linear

-The engine works better on 80% mixture at ground level, even on take off . 100%mixture never  needed to gain full  power.

- No linear loose of power when reducing the mixture at any altitude. You can find 2 or 3 mixture possitions where the engine  works well at any altitude. The only thing you can apreciate is a fructuation on RPM gauge, 

Not needed/not relevant

Not needed/not relevant

• Upvote 1

Brief description: Individual Soldiers have no DM atm.
Individual soldiers walking on the ground or running away from a truck / train / artillery being attacked seem not to be vulnerable at all...one more element that reminds the pilot its just a computer game

Brief description:LaGG3, elevator trim tabs always in full nose down position when starting missions.

Detailed description, conditions: When a sp or campaign mission is started the LaGG3 has always had excessive stall characteristis when in combat.Having checked stick settings it made no difference.When i checked the AC in outside view i noticed that the elevator trim tabs are always in the position i have mentioned, as there are no trim indicators in the cockpit most would not know of of this and the effects it has.Now, before the mission begins property i set the trim tabs accordingly and violet stalls in  are a thing of the past.

First shot shows the mission started but in pause mode, note elevator trim tabs.

Second shot , in pause mode on the ground.

Intel I7, 8 gig RAM, Windows 7.

Edited by SeleV

Brief description: HE-111 tailwheel breaks off. "Landing gear down" appears in teknochat and tail collapse. 
Detailed description, conditions: Usually after 30 sec, tailwheel breaks off. Only tested with quick mission and different loadouts / skins. 

Brief description: HE-111 tailwheel breaks off. "Landing gear down" appears in teknochat and tail collapse. 

Detailed description, conditions: Usually after 30 sec, tailwheel breaks off. Only tested with quick mission and different loadouts / skins. 

Brief description: HE-111 tailwheel fall off and sometimes main gear also

Detailed description, conditions: When standing on runway with started engine. About 5-20 seconds after pause release tailwell breakes out. Same happend to teamates, lot of them cant take off because of it.
Tailwheel damage always besides of 2 situations:
-100% full throttle instanty after game starts
-hit breakes ('/' button)
But still teammates didnt do it so they cant take off.

Tested on:
skirmish, campaning, both on grass and concrete airfields, on all difficulty modes, loadout didnt matter. I notice it after last update. When failure occured, message gear down appeared.
Also sometimes after take off when tailwheel brakes of, main gear separate from plane when pulling them up.

Your PC config data (OS, drivers, specific software): i5, GTX660 last driver, 8GB RAM, Win7.

I have a little mission in a FW190-a3 and I landed but then it was a heavy landing and during my Rolling to the parking my right Wheel collapse.

here I must say I did see a bug when a piece of the landing gear did fly during nearly 20 seconds time for me to observe and make a picture;

jpg_2015_5_4_22_9_18.jpg

in the near center of the picture.

Edited by senseispcc

Brief description:

Pe 2 spawns with broken wing when carrying 2x500kg bombs.

This problem occurred while playing campaign. When starting a mission with a bomb load of 2 500kg bombs the plane spawns with it's wing about to brake on paused screen, when one press P to start the mission the wing brakes off and the plane goes down, and it's always the left wing that brakes, never the right. I tried starting 10 missions and the plane spawned with a broken wing in 7 out of those 10 missions.

Adding two short in game recordings of the issue.

Wing brake with 2x500kg bombs.zip

Brief description: Engine overheat warning goes away on maps with warmer temperature settings

Detailed description, conditions: Setup a map with temperature at +19C at sea level. Tested a Yak1 and 109G2. Fly at 300m, close all radiators. Overheat warning appears (keep radiators closed, don't try to cool the plane), then disappears after about 30 seconds. Plane continues to fly with temperature gauge showing extreme temps for extended period of time (5 minutes?). Eventually the warning message for overheat re-appears, and unless radiators are then opened, engine damage will occur.

Easily reproducible.

Brief description: Ships can hit other ships with zero damage to either ship.

Detailed description: Skip bombed a ship. The lead ship was heavily damaged and stopped in the water as its propulsion system was knocked out. The second ship charged along at full speed and rammed the other ship up its rear section getting a full 1/8th of its tip in the other ships rear. I can't imagine that didn't do some tearing at least on the ship that took that rear ending. However, due to the fact that water is not a great lubricant to make things easily penetrate - both ships should have taken damage to send them both to the depths with their metal shrieking in mangled horror the whole way.

Here is a screenshot of both ships after the rear ship decided it couldn't keep going through, so decided to go sort of around the lead ship but still sort of through it.

post-9266-0-71496500-1446243745_thumb.jpg

Brief description:  I-16 goes down whatever the speed which is unaccurate.

Nose goes down whatever the speed in horizontal flight despite Spanish ace Miguel Angel Sanz reported his I-16 type 10 was neutral at around 350 km/h.

Other sources gives 400 km/h for neutral and nose pulling up at 430 km/h but in the game, it never goes even neutral whatever the speed.

Brief description: Unable to adjust P-40 RPM when starting from parked/engine off.

Detailed description, conditions: The P-40's engine burns out when starting from parked or engine off. Despite inputs to reduce RPM, they do not work. Even with the in-cockpit handle moving appropriately, the RPM does not adjust. It only adjusts based on MP. When starting from runway or in-flight, it works fine.

Brief description: Bf110 Props wont feather
Detailed description, conditions: If you have an engine failure and feather the props( 100% pitch)  the propeller, even if fully straight, keeps windmilling. 

In reality the propeller would come to a stop pretty quick.

I think this is a bug of all the airplanes in Game.

Thanks

HeTzeR

Brief description:

Heinkel He-111 always stuck in soft snow

- With both engines at full  power I wasn't able to move at all from starting position, in a fresh snow spot close to runway, online on Wings of Liberty multiplayer server.

- With stuka you can move at least, even with heavy loads; He-111 is not the same, even with 20% fuel load won't move, like it gets parking brakes always on.

- If you push stick forward to ease the teilwheel pressure, it just noses over and brakes te props.

1. we need something like: He-111 always start from a flat spot on the parking area ... or

2. always assume ground crew clean the path in front of the plane wheels to make them ready to taxy.

Thanks, B.O.

Not needed/not relevant

Not needed/not relevant

Brief description:

Heinkel He-111 always stuck in soft snow

- With both engines at full  power I wasn't able to move at all from starting position, in a fresh snow spot close to runway, online on Wings of Liberty multiplayer server.

- With stuka you can move at least, even with heavy loads; He-111 is not the same, even with 20% fuel load won't move, like it gets parking brakes always on.

- If you push stick forward to ease the teilwheel pressure, it just noses over and brakes te props.

1. we need something like: He-111 always start from a flat spot on the parking area ... or

2. always assume ground crew clean the path in front of the plane wheels to make them ready to taxy.

Thanks, B.O.

Not needed/not relevant

Not needed/not relevant

Same Problem with 110!

Brief description: Bf110 Props wont feather

Detailed description, conditions: If you have an engine failure and feather the props( 100% pitch)  the propeller, even if fully straight, keeps windmilling. 

In reality the propeller would come to a stop pretty quick.

I think this is a bug of all the airplanes in Game.

Thanks

HeTzeR

You can feather the prop by using LCTRL+F (by default). Feathering works in the 110 and all planes that had that ability (unless i missed anything).

100% prop pitch is not fully feathered.

Edited by Matt
  • Upvote 1

Brief description:  ground physic bug
Detailed description, conditions: parked MC.202 is moving up and down

Not sure if this has been reported allready, but I stumbled about this coincidently.

Brief description: Reticle in the M.C. 202 ist still visible after the Revi-Glass is shot.
Detailed description, conditions: I´ve been shot in Multiplayer by AAA. The Windshield and Revi-Glass were destroyed, but the Reticle kept beaming against the open sky.

qntd1w.jpg

Brief description: Bf-110 incorrect propeller rotation and torque pull direction

Detailed description, conditions: When you start the Bf-110 the engine always rotates to the right, both of them. Yet the torque pull is to the left. I found this to odd of a heavy fighter and even stranger they would design it this way. So, I investigated and found a video on YouTube. Just fast forward to 07:22 and rapidly pause and unpause the video to see what  mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTmBOSxdkHU

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4910 2.36Ghz

RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz

GPU: PNY nVidia GTX650 Ti 2GB GDD5

=================================================================================================================

Brief description: Bomb spawn over canopy of the Bf-110.

Detailed description, conditions: When you start in the Bf-110 a bomb sometimes spawn overhead of your canopy. And when you drop it it drops through you. I do not have a track but I have images.

post-12904-0-29854800-1451717928_thumb.jpg  post-12904-0-96901900-1451717930_thumb.jpg

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4910 2.36Ghz

RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz

GPU: PNY nVidia GTX650 Ti 2GB GDD5

Edited by 6./ZG1=SPEKTRE76

Brief description: Aircraft gunner sustain instant dead when the aircraft is in the "Fatally hit" logic.
Detailed description, conditions: Aircraft gunners health is linked with the aircraft "health" since last update(1.106). In the moment you you abandon your aircraft or sustain critical damage in it , the Gunners die, independently of the location of such damage. Even a soft belly landing will kill them all.

Additional assets (videos, screenshots, logs): Discussed the issue with some folks and happens the same to them. See the attached screenshot when bailing out of a non damaged aircraft.
Your PC config data (OS, drivers, specific software): N/A

post-20203-0-00393100-1451977059_thumb.jpg

Edited by peterla

Brief description: plane suspension systems and dirt strips build up heavy resonance (it's "physics", not a problem of pilots experience)

Detailed description, conditions: as a test-bed use a quick mission, full realism settings, Stalingrad map, summer, airfield 511.7 (dirt strip) and runway start. Take any plane you want, no bombs, just 15% fuel, so it's simulating a light (landing) weight. Choose F4 to react quickly and to see the effects. Give a short bust of gas to overcome the inertness and then choose 20 - 30 % throttle to reach a acceleration below +1 km / sec.

Soon one can see the effects of the dirt strip and the planes suspensions system coming into an unrealistic resonance, most prominent around 45 - 65 km/h. A self-evident assumption: the "bumps" simulating the dirt-strip have an even "height" and spacing? So using a random pattern of comparable height and spacing should preserve the bumpy impression, but avoid resonance.

The LaGG-3 and Pe-2 are badly influenced, the Yak-1 and I-16 do just a little bit better. Pulling the stick might help a bit, accelerating fast to come over the range of resonance is possible, yes, but that's not my point - the model is wrong. Just in contrast to the German planes, the known delicate Me 109 is doing well, so here the suspension system seems to be modelled in an other way.

Additional assets (videos, screenshots, logs): choose the settings given above to reproduce

Your PC config data (OS, drivers, specific software): BoS 1.106, medium hardware, standard Win7-64bit with NVidia

Edited by Retnek

Brief description: HE111 Wing seems to break off if engine is over-reved

Detailed description, conditions: I noticed if you enter a dive in the he111 with engines off the wing wont rip off. If the engine is running the wing falls off almost immediately. engine damage seems to be effecting win structure.

Your PC config data (OS, drivers, specific software): Win10

Brief description: All crew besides pilot are killed when ejecting in an aircraft with more than two crew.
Detailed description, conditions: About the entire time I play the game, when an aircraft with more than two crew gets the eject order, everyone besides the pilot is killed, and the pilot jumps out. I have only had it not happen once, with Stukas, where both the pilot and the rear gunner would jump out, but trying to replicate that in the same game instance saw the gunner die again when the AI ejected.

Additional assets (videos, screenshots, logs): 3de77ecbbd83d368c86b8a29d2894f20.jpg
Your PC config data (OS, drivers, specific software): Windows 10; Nvidia GeForce GTX 980ti; AMD FX8350 Eight Core Processor; 8gb Ram

Brief description: Bf110 belly bomb rack do not cause additionnal drag

Detailed description, conditions: I've been testing a bit the 110 for establishing it's top speed in different loadouts conditions and I noticed that the belly bomb rack, once the bombs are dropped yield the same top speed as a clean 110. The wings' bomb racks on the other hand seems to be working as they should.

Testing in QM, autumn map, spawn altitude 300m, autolevel engaged. 1.26ATA 2400rpm (max combat power setting) Oil 50% water 37%

Top speeds achieved :

100% fuel : 439km/h
100% fuel + armor : 437km/h
100% fuel + armor + belly rack : 437km/h
100% fuel + armor + belly and wing racks : 431km/h

If you don't have time for correcting this bug, it's fine with me though  :P

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

Brief description: temperature icon

Detailed description, conditions: When temperature icon will show up in Yak, then to remedy you will open radiators fully making temperature goes to normal but temperature icon will show up until you reduce propeller pitch or throttle lever. 

post-18739-0-47031500-1455411938_thumb.jpg

Edited by 307_Tomcat

Brief description Fuel leaks

Detailed description, conditions:Fuel leaks are visible only above a certain speed. Leaking fuel disappear when plane is very slow or when it stop, when you speed up again they reappear.

Tanks weapon bug: weapon cycling in all tanks include default reload time for MG (same as switching between AP and HE, as if it was 3rd ammo type and not a 2nd weapon system)

Brief description: MP Tank Collision damage
Detailed description, conditions: upon collison, the T-34 explodes the Panzer III.. no stopping, no damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=437BYpNurYg

EDIT: it seems there may have been a hidden shot, that was laggy or rendered in late.. in the first vid (recorded from a track) you can see the shot, which kills me in a second PIII (right at the vid in the end) is rendered late (first explosion, then shot) which was the same in-game (ie: on the servers I saw it like that, I exploded and then I saw the shot hitting the dead tank and inicially sought I was killed by a 2nd T-34. The track revealed that that was not the case, but still the shot itself was late (as in the vid above, right at the end). Under certain angles there is a shot shown, right after the tank collision and destruction of the PIII the track shows a shot, that hits the ground.. so there may or may not be an issue with shot timing/rendering: ie: I´m thinking that maybe the T-34 fired and one-shoted the PIII during the colision but shot rendering did not take place on the server (in game) and it is only visible under certain conditions as late rendering shot (the shot itself beeing shown as a miss)

here is how it shows in slowmotion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp8JS2PSDKo

It is probably entirely unrelated, but for completeness: It was on the DeD random expert server and during this play session I had experienced another bug earlier, the previous "life" (spawn,instancing) the HUD-overlay of the compass got stuck and only showed 180° instead of changing with heading.

screenshot of compass bug: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=624914575

Edited by Dr_Zeebra

Brief description: Ju88 Landing Gear is propelling the plane forward if extended on ground.
Detailed description, conditions: If you belly land, and then put your gear down, the plane will start to move forward and get faster, around 20-30kmh and it wont stop.

Clearly it has nothing to do with the Ju88 but with some physics bug. 

Thanks

Brief description: Invisible Ju-88 rearguns are back

Detailed description, conditions: If the Ju-88 rear canopy is lost due to collision, the attached gubs fire again, in 2.0002b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWfFHEOKULw&feature=youtu.be

Brief description: Ju88 Landing Gear is propelling the plane forward if extended on ground.
Detailed description, conditions: If you belly land, and then put your gear down, the plane will start to move forward and get faster, around 20-30kmh and it wont stop.

Clearly it has nothing to do with the Ju88 but with some physics bug. 

Thanks

I had similiar experiences with other planes, i believe it is a consequence from the bouncy wheel physics.. if the wheels bounce with the plane still attached, there is a physics/force impulse that moves the object.

Brief description: Pe-2 s 87 mixture and propeller range

I found that in Pe-2 series 87 - mixture analog slider has 100% in the middle of its range. Same was reported by my teammates. What's more, i observed that in next sortie usualy after map change same is happening with propeler pitch bind to my lever in sitek throttle quadrant. This was on multiplayer. BTW I never noticed this behavior in fighter planes.

Brief description: Flight Physics are wicked in some parts.(Not Update related)

Detailed description, conditions: Our Geschwader has a Flightscool since il2 1946 for new Pilots which they can make some exams. We are reworking it to port this to BoS/BoM.

One Part is to Stall a 109 from 2000m and get the controls back. We find out that every 109 or 190(not Flat or deepstall) CANT get into a normal stall.

In Il2 1946 and CloDo you flight at 2000m, bring the pitch to 0% and at a speed from arround 200km/h you pull up a bit, get rudder and aileron quick to one side (lets say to the right) and than full pull on the stick and hold them until you get a stall. The behavior in BoS/BoM in this situations is wicked.

The Plane rolls to the right (up to 90°) and at the time it gets a normal stall, it rolls quick to the left(wicked) and makes a "barrel role" to the ground until you release the joystick.

In none of this State the Plane is in a stall, on centering the Joystick you get quick controls back which it shouldnt. We test this with all 109 Versions with different Fuel capacity and bombs.