Sign in to follow this  
Hoss

Changine in game name

I am IV/JG51_Hoss on the forums, but I need to change my name in game, it's my real name, and is not what I want to see while playing the game.  I know we couldn't do it before, but I was told when the game was released I would be able to do that....................

Any steps I can take to do that?

Thanks

IV/JG51_Hoss

• Upvote 4

This particular problem is a small thing for some, but a major stink point for me.................  RoF there's was no problem to change names in game................  Somehow I have a feeling none of the responsible game development personel really G.A.S.................................. 

Hope it does get fixed soon.................

IV/JG51_Hoss

aka  Mike Williams in game.............................

• Upvote 1

I can see this as a big deal for some people.  I remember being a little confused by the question when I fired up the game --- I can see how many people would put their real names on there.  Something you don't want if you ever post screen shots or video caps.  I used a single word nickname and was fortunate.  It'd be very reasonable to offer a new "profile" (even if you have to re-do unlocks etc.) option for gamers.

• Upvote 1

Not played online due to this problem, it's ridiculous. Ohh and the name in the top left is annoying considering the game is out of early access.

Edited by Flack88
  • Upvote 2

So much of it is like ROF why can't they just make the name thing the same? I may be Blackwolf in here but in game I may want to add my 20th squad tag. Why is this such a problem? And yes please take out the name in the left hand corner. Its very annoying. 

• Upvote 1

We should be able to do a name change.

I'm however thankful that I got it right 1st time, mostly by accident... I can comprehend frustrations of some guys that wont go online with real names etc.

• Upvote 1

I have posted on a poll as well. I also made the mistake of typing my real name when the registration form said "enter name" I requested a name change from tech support about a month ago and they responded "That is not possible right now. It may be implemented in the future" I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to change that particular bit of data in my profile..... Hello... Is anybody out there?...

• Upvote 3

Well, some of you have your real names. Apparently, if you were lucky enough to take an already used name, they automatically assign you a number without even asking.

So, it's a pleasure, my name is "Wolf5"

when is it possible to change name in the multiplayer? we changed our name from jg54 to eg14 long time ago. for me its very important to fly with the right tag and it makes me every time angry when I see that I have to fly wih my old tag.

The lack of answers on this issue should tell you that they are either to busy with other patches or cant find a way to do it.... I think it is that they are to busy to deal with it ATM.... I hope they do fix it..... our squad is disbanding and I want to lose the =AVG= tag, I had hoped that changing it in the forum would work but obviously it didn't.... SO PLEASE DEVS READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the risk of being repetitive: This is NOT a trivial request. It is a really important and fundamental feature of the application that needs to be addressed as soon as possible. It's the one thing in the history of this project that has really annoyed and frustrated me and I can't understand why the developers don't just sort it out (PLEASE)!

• Upvote 2

People have been asking this for months and they still haven't said anything about it, I pretty much just gave up on it and stopped playing online with my real name because of it. 

I wouldn't mind so much if it was a difficult addition but I know how easy it is to code!

Just add a varchar field to the user table called 'online_name' and keep the existing user names for login etc. Just display the online_name when in multiplayer.

Add a small bit of UI updater code for the new field (2 hours work) and it's done. Why is that taking months?!

Very strange, indeed. I'm practically locked out of Multiplayer from the beginning. The game was asking 'enter your name' to finish installation, without any hint this would become a permanent and prominently displayed username. This is no user made entry error or mistake, but a shortcoming of how the game presented this task.

Devs, if you ran a restaurant and your customers would sit in front of their meals without cutlery, and you wouldn't show any initiative to provide it inspite of several requests, what do you think your customer's opinion of you and your restaurant will be?

Just a friendly advice that some things can't be left for too long, no matter how busy it is in the kitchen.

MAC

Very strange, indeed. I'm practically locked out of Multiplayer from the beginning. The game was asking 'enter your name' to finish installation, without any hint this would become a permanent and prominently displayed username. 

^^ This.

Worse, the bug was identified a year ago next week.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/2109-profile-name/

Are you the guy I see on multiplayer who has is 'fullname@gmail.com'? Haha regardless, I always felt sorry for that guy, I almost did the same.

This has been a hot topic and there's no way they don't know about it. I know it's not just adding variables to a table, if it were that easy, it would have been done by now. The module may be designed to do things one way, which means they either have to script a work-around, which may cause bugs, or re-write/structure the module, which may take time...

• Upvote 1

I also think that there is not an easy fix for this or it would have been done already. I pm Zak and he said there is a fix but is vague about if and when it will be done, which I think is strange. This is really starting to bug me but as not that many(no idea how) have actually been effected by this they don't really seemed bothered

Hard to fix / easy to fix isn't really the issue.    This isn't the first rodeo for these developers as the saying goes: there were some odd design decisions that conspired to trick people into using their real names, randomly changing the name if the tool didn't like it without warning or options, and prevent changes so that users could update their names and now we are learning squadron tags may be affected too.

Yeah I'm not really happy about this, I kind of see it as a mini privacy breach which would have high priority anywhere else. I think there was a bit of misunderstanding from the devs to begin with as they seemed to think we wanted to change names for plastic reasons but they must know now

Edited by AeroAce
  • Upvote 1