Jason_Williams

Discussion about DCS:WW2 goes here.

Yeah, and I don't even wanna know about the details, I'd just like a finished product now, but I hope that this was yet another lesson that we can all learn from.

Overall I think it's good news. Feel a bit sorry for the chap as you never like to see anybody crash and burn publicly but project management just isn't his strong suit. ED will see it through and if I'm flying the 190D-9, 109K and Spit IX by the start of 2015 I'll be plenty happy with progress. Even when backing the KS I never thought Sept '14 was ever feasible. 

• Upvote 1

Guys,

I don't want to see anything personally disparaging said about Luthier on this board. It's sad whenever someone loses a job, especially in this economic climate. I have no idea what happened over there and I don't want to see wild speculation or name calling over here. Things like this happen in business. I've known Ilya for years and I know his heart was always in the right place regardless of whatever else may have happened.

Talk about the product, not the people.

Jason 

• Upvote 6

What I said about hoping for Ilya's health and well being was kindly meant. I'm not sure why it should be deleted.

I appreciate your sentiments Jason, especially because you know better than us how hard it is to make a simulator product/format work. 

Nobody means to be disrespectful, but a lot of people have been disrespected in the past because of what happened: there's an understandable and undeniable amount of resentment because of the LONG history and a lot of things that have been said and done, which have caused a great deal of damage to the sim niche and slowed down an otherwise really promising evolution of the simulation market.

All I can say is that actions speak louder than words, and again I wish him the best for the future. Let's all move on and look forward to what will come out of it.

Edited by Sternjaeger

I appreciate your sentiments Jason, especially because you know better than us how hard it is to make a simulator product/format work. 

Nobody means to be disrespectful, but a lot of people have been disrespected in the past because of what happened: there's an understandable and undeniable amount of resentment because of the LONG history and a lot of things that have been said and done, which have caused a great deal of damage to the sim niche and slowed down an otherwise really promising evolution of the simulation market.

All I can say is that actions speak louder than words, and again I wish him the best for the future. Let's all move on and look forward to what will come out of it.

If you feel that way and must comment on whatever resentment you have please do it somewhere else.

Jason

What I said about hoping for Ilya's health and well being was kindly meant. I'm not sure why it should be deleted.

You said more than that and commented on a perceived health issue. Just move it along guys and talk about the product they are making and not Luthier.

Jason

• Upvote 1

What we will get now are future modules for dcs over a looooooong period of time. It will be good but we will wait for it. I wouldn't expect a single product release, just additions to dcs, which is fine.

Sadly I don't think we will get anything new in terms of mp coding or huge leaps forward in gameplay. That takes an innovator and they just lost him.

Good luck in the future tho!

From Wags...

DCS WWII: Europe 1944 is still planned as a single-package option, or users can purchase individual components to integrate into DCS World.

Guys,

I don't want to see anything personally disparaging said about Luthier on this board. It's sad whenever someone loses a job, especially in this economic climate. I have no idea what happened over there and I don't want to see wild speculation or name calling over here. Things like this happen in business. I've known Ilya for years and I know his heart was always in the right place regardless of whatever else may have happened.

Talk about the product, not the people.

Jason 

I am grateful to see you say that Jason, life does not always go the way you want or expect it to, I wish him all the best.

I know Krupi. But they also have laid out the development timeline with a lot of individual elements being released over the next year so I guess in that respect if they release all of them one at a time then finally there will be a complete single released product.

To me a single release is when they would release it in one go at the start...not at the end.

As for mp coding, I really hope they do do it better because ATM it's not that great.

It was never going to be released like you have said, some aircraft were always going to be finished before others just like BoS, why wait until all the aircraft are done when you can release them as each is completed.

That is just the sensible way to do things.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if ED's intention to "honour all Kickstarter backer commitments" includes the individually printed manuals for aircraft and weekly Skype meetings etc. Might be more trouble than its worth in many respects.

I agree with Jason's sentiments and appreciate his asking for respectful treatment on his company's forum of someone he knows personally.

I backed the Kickstarter but never did determine how to get my login to work to access that ED forum. Any advice on how some of you gained access?

Charlo

I backed the Kickstarter but never did determine how to get my login to work to access that ED forum. Any advice on how some of you gained access?

Charlo

Is the email address you used on Kickstarter different from your ED Forum registrations email address?

If so that can be one of the causes, it was in my case - I had emailed RRG early on when the backer forum came online, and they changed my email registration to match the ED forum email registration.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, bongo and burnette - I expect to hear back with access to that forum.  I suspect I already know much of what is posted there, but would still like to read the complete "official" posts.  I frankly wouldn't have enough time to fly another sim now anyway, but like to keep up on the latest doings or not-doings.

Charlo

If you have access to the DCS WW2 Backers section of the ED forum you will find a link in Matt`s updated update to download a preliminary version of the Fw190 flight manual. ;)

In a way these news make me a bit sad. Then again ED taking over should make it quite sure that it will be delivered. What this means to some aspects of sim remains to be seen. I mean multiplayer, plans for intuitive and fun learning and single player campaigns.

Best of luck to ED. Still hoping they will make a fantastic product worth buying to suplement BoS.

Forums seem to be sorted out now and I guess that's the place to look up for future updates. Plus the June 2014 update is public now. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=125454

Also the Fw190 early manual is out for public download for those who are interested: http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=99554&d=1402253401

Edited by Bassly

Forums seem to be sorted out now and I guess that's the place to look up for future updates. Plus the June 2014 update is public now. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=125454

Also the Fw190 early manual is out for public download for those who are interested: http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=99554&d=1402253401

Thanks for the heads up! :salute:

I just found out about this this weekend.. Sad but not surprising. Truth be told most of my next gen WWII CFS hopes are on BoS and it's future expansion anyway.. but this is still something I hope at least gets off the ground.

• Upvote 1

After reading the FW-190 handbook, I can't wait for the release and am definitely looking forward to it. I've no doubt that even the 190 alone will be worth the money I spent on this project, let alone all the other planes that will be released in the future. Even though I'm still not convinced that this sim will ever be a real MP title, like BoS or CloD.

Thank you very much for sharing FW 190 D9 Manual.

FW 190 D9 Manual.

The MW 50 system can be used to coll down the engine at all altitudes.

I will love this Flight Sim   :thank_you:  

Edited by F4-Wildcat

S!

MW50 used to cool down the engine? Seems everything I read about the system was wrong ;) I was under impression it was used to prevent knocking and increase mass flow during to get more HP out of the engine, up to 6500m..

You got the right impression, but cooling the engine down was another effect of that system.

S!

It does yes, but that manual statements leaves an impression you would use it to coold down from overheat at all flight regimes. I recall the MW50, even activated, did not spray the methanol/water mixture into the engine until power was set to WEP.

You got the right impression, but cooling the engine down was another effect of that system.

Correct.

S!

It does yes, but that manual statements leaves an impression you would use it to coold down from overheat at all flight regimes. I recall the MW50, even activated, did not spray the methanol/water mixture into the engine until power was set to WEP.

Correct at BF 109

For some models of  BF 109 with B4 fuel,  the WEP system automatically enables MW 50 to avoid damage the engine ( to prevent knocking ) and get more power, and some cooling effect

With C3 fuel at 109 the WEP system  automatically enables MW 50 only to get more power, and some cooling effect

Some 109 Can use B4 or C3  fuel only with a turn of screwdriver to selector at the engine.

At FW 190 D9 you can use WEP With and Without MW50 is a pilot chose.
Also you can enable MW50 without WEP and get cooling and more power for the engine at any state of the engine.

The FW 190 D9 has water/methanol tank  115 liters  for  continuous use.
For 25 to 40 minutes ??

Edited by Mustang

Trying to manage all those systems and fight will be a pain unless you truly know your plane by heart and this will be X100 with the 262 if they model it true to history with crap quality engines

Is it known, if the Edge update will be released before August or this summer?

Just asking,and I probably repeat myself, as dogfighting is almost impossible for now.

I cant see a plane at more than 300 or 400m.

Trying to manage all those systems and fight will be a pain unless you truly know your plane by heart and this will be X100 with the 262 if they model it true to history with crap quality engines

...and that's why they call it a simulator  ;)

• Upvote 2

S!

From what I collect from Me262 pilots is that when they got airborne and desired power was set they rarely changed it before landing due the quirky nature of the engines.

At least the 109 and 190 don't have that many systems to worry about during a fight. Shouldn't be much harder than in BoS for instance. Getting airborne will be a bit harder though.

I'm not sure about the 262, but what additional controls did it have to worry about?

Is it known, if the Edge update will be released before August or this summer?

Just asking,and I probably repeat myself, as dogfighting is almost impossible for now.

I cant see a plane at more than 300 or 400m.

No words on the dates, but said to be this year. There has been talk that there won't be 1.29 update at all, so next step is supposed to be 1.3.0 which is the EDGE update.

At least the 109 and 190 don't have that many systems to worry about during a fight. Shouldn't be much harder than in BoS for instance. Getting airborne will be a bit harder though.

I'm not sure about the 262, but what additional controls did it have to worry about?

I wouldn't be that sure, you still have fuel management, engine/booster management (for the 109), radio, armament, flaps (particularly tedious on the 109), gyro gunsight.. not too different from the current Mustang workload actually. The only real edge will be the Fw190 throttle, much easier to use.

Except for gunsight, it's the same as the 109 in BoS more or less. Fuel management is a non issue in the 109 and even in the 190, you can leave it in one setting all the time, at least before and during a fight.

Of course in the P-51 you really have to worry about the fuel tanks, mixture (at least switching between automatic rich and lean) and throttle and prop pitch. That's really more complicated than in the soviet planes in BoS for instance.

The only time I touch the mixture in the DCS P-51 is when I start the engine or turn it off.