Discussion about DCS:WW2 goes here.

I don't see any.

All I care about is to finally have a great ww2 sim again that offers great multiplayer entertainment. Funding going towards a game that - to my knowledge - does not even have a dedicated server does not seem like the best approach.

But whatever floats your goat :)

Dedicated sever will be developed with EDGE.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1786617

Work On New Rendering Technology Continues

The new Image Generator (IG) technology is currently in development and will be introduced to DCS World when it is ready. Elements of the new IG include:
- More detailed terrain.
- Better graphical effects
- Dedicated server
- DirectX 11 support
- Skeleton animation for infantry

Oleg and Luthier built the original IL-2, one of the most respected WW2 aircombat sim of all time.   Oleg and Luthier were in the process of building a very good game engine to take the genre far beyond the original sim.  An unfinished game engine doesn't define a bad game engine.  Its like taking a car off the assembly line before its finished and wondering why it doesn't run. doh  Oleg and Luthier are responsible for taking to long to develop the game and content, but are not responsible for releasing COD before its was finished.  IC did that, I don't blame IC for that as I would much sooner have a sim released that could be finished, than one that's canned forever.   Oleg, Luthier, DCS World, etc are responsible for some great products, just as Loft and 777Studios have been.   I know the facts don't suit your agenda. 

1+ Well said.

People may like certain projects and avoid others, also they will put their money wherever they think they should. Theres nothing wrong with that and they have every right to do so.Now, that to me is simply taking care of one's interests and nothing more.We all now this is a community and a small one  in relation to others, so a little union and less separation could do wonders for us.Just a year ago I was afraid that the WW2 air combat genre was completely dead and gone forever, in around a year from now or less we will have no fewer then 3 serious WW2 air combat sims.Deciding which one/s to support depends on each person, I for one will fully support all, but just the fact that we will have variety and actually more than one choice should be enough for us to feel happy.Remember that we all play a big role on these products.With enough support this products will surely grow, expansion to new theaters will come, more new planes,new features, optimizations,etc.But the community needs to stand by these products since the beginning.

And please stop with the CLOD/Ilya/Oleg bashing. As some one said, if you designed a sports car for 6 years and start assembling it but you are forced to get it out on the market before you finish the assembly completely, you cant avoid the short comings.You can blame them for taking ages to make that sim, but you cannot blame them for that unfinished product being pushed to the public.It was what it was and it is what it is, we all saw it, we all experienced it, now lets get over it.

I applaud 1CGS for developing BOS , the same way I applaud DCS/RRG for starting this new project, both teams know what they want to do, now it is up to us to help them get it done.

• Upvote 4

Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

The Utube clips of Corsica seem to be made by MetaVR, I dont see any mention of an Edge graphic engine being used by them, the only mention of EDGE being in some of the speculative comments, MetaVR's site see's no mention of EDGE.

Any new development of WWII Flight sims is of interest to all of us, but I find it hard to understand a project looking for finance, unable to show any footage of the game/image engine (which is said to be already used in mil/civil simulations) is this the same as EDGE Enhanced Doom Game Engine, or something else?

I have not downloaded or tried DCS world but the vids i have watched do not inspire me graphically, so the new graphics engine would seem to me a major selling point to get me to invest.

A/C model and F/M model seem to be accepted to critical acclaim, so if those standards are kept I see no problem there.

There seems to be little or no info on this subject, EDGE, or maybe I have just not been reading in the right places?

Cheers Dakpilot

From DCS forums:

"What is EDGE?
EDGE, dubbed internally, Eagle Dynamic Graphic Engine, is a new Image Generator (IG) built from the ground up that allowed for numerous benefits to the DCS environment.

What is the Image Generator (IG) people keep mentioning?
An Image Generator (IG) is another way of describing what EDGE is. Image Generator (IG) is a generic term for something that generates the images on your screen. EDGE a self coined term by c0ff to describe the Image Generator (IG) and is simply an acronym.

When will EDGE be released?
Since EDGE is built from scratch, it will take time to incorporate all the elements that are needed to make it playable at acceptable frame rates.

What are the benefits to EDGE?
· EDGE allows for Direct X 11 support
· Dynamic shadowing of the terrain and mountains
· Clipmap support
· Higher object count
· Higher resolution ground terrain mesh
· More detailed tree models
· Better graphical effects
· High resolution road textures
· Ability for road signs and light signals
· Additional ground clutter (rocks, cactuses, etc.)"

The videos of Corsica etc are made for commercial flight training and are not running on desktop pcs, although they use the edge engine. They show what is possible rather than a cast-iron guarantee that this is what we will get.

More relevent, but very WIP, DCS world images here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=113708

Edited by garengarch

So those rather nice Corsica Vids have NO relation to DCS World or DCS WWII?

Again I find it hard to understand no examples of it (EDGE) exist, when it is the backbone of this "new" Sim and is in use with "professional flight sims" and been in development for several years, dont get me wrong I am not making an attack or joining in the...er...developer debate, I am just looking for reasons to have an interest to back this venture

Cheers Dakpilot 

This thread has been reopened. Please bear in mind that this thread is for discussion about DCS WWII.

It is not a platform to discuss the developers or the virtues or flaws of Cod or to slam any other forum members.

Please keep your discussion on the topic at hand. Any further personal communication between forum members needs to be in the form of a PM.

For the record this was the reason why Jason initially forbade discussion of this here.

So those rather nice Corsica Vids have NO relation to DCS World or DCS WWII?

Again I find it hard to understand no examples of it (EDGE) exist, when it is the backbone of this "new" Sim and is in use with "professional flight sims" and been in development for several years, dont get me wrong I am not making an attack or joining in the...er...developer debate, I am just looking for reasons to have an interest to back this venture

Cheers Dakpilot 

If anything it gives us a great look at what can be done with that engine.

Ok I am still confused... Is EDGE a product of Eagle or a licence from somewhere else, is MetaVR based on edge? or Edge based on something else?

"MetaVR is the sole source manufacturer and provider of all MetaVR software" From their website.

If the Corsica Vids are for Tech demo of MetaVR and not run on a desktop PC what are they run on?

Surely if edge has been used in comercial flight sims for years why not show this? 

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Dakpilot

Ok I am still confused... Is EDGE a product of Eagle or a licence from somewhere else, is MetaVR based on edge? or Edge based on something else?

"MetaVR is the sole source manufacturer and provider of all MetaVR software" From their website.

If the Corsica Vids are for Tech demo of MetaVR and not run on a desktop PC what are they run on?

Surely if edge has been used in comercial flight sims for years why not show this? 

Cheers Dakpilot

Military contracts I suppose and thus not meant to be shown in public.

"Military contracts I suppose and thus not meant to be shown in public"..........

Sorry, pure speculation, MetaVR also used by the FAA and many non military, non secret customers.

It is said the Corsica vids are are based on EDGE , Eagle Dynamic Graphic Engine? But this Just does not seem so, again not looking for an argument just facts

Cheers Dakpilot

"facts" are hard to find in relation to this product at this time. The engine isnt complete so any value attached to a vid you can find atm is negligable. Speculation is all we have. Is it any wonder ppl are getting frustrated and personal in this thread?....

I suggest some stiff moderation until we get some tangable info.

Im sick of hearing some peoples opinion being draped in their own self important pearls of wisdom.

"Military contracts I suppose and thus not meant to be shown in public"..........

Sorry, pure speculation, MetaVR also used by the FAA and many non military, non secret customers.

It is said the Corsica vids are are based on EDGE , Eagle Dynamic Graphic Engine? But this Just does not seem so, again not looking for an argument just facts

Cheers Dakpilot

Hi Dakpilot

The simple truth is we don't know! :wacko:  If you want to know more about another company's product, you'd probably have more luck asking people over there. :P

Stiff moderation needed.

Overbearing moderation.

Are these forums moderated??!!

Everyone's a critic. :rolleyes:  :cool:

• Upvote 1

Yes i guess i should ask over at the site, but people here seem to be well informed so i thought it was worth a shot  :)

My main gripe was a Vid posted saying it was using the graphic engine for WWII DCS expansion but this does NOT seem to be true  ;)

Just trying to get Good info in a thread about the subject  :)

Anyway check out MetaVR site  http://www.metavr.com/casestudies/FAA.html  interesting comercial/Military  Flight sim company

and nothing wrong with the way these forums are moderated  :cool:

Cheers Dakpilot 

Edited by Dakpilot

I did a search on the Ed forum and found a post by a guy called signalman with the video

his comments were

icon1.gifWhat do you think? )))

pilotfly.gifnotworthy.gif
EDGE???"

I can't find anywhere that that video was posted by RPG as being representitve of the sim being developed.

It's funny how people will make mountains out of mole-hills

I did a search on the Ed forum and found a post by a guy called signalman with the video

his comments were

I can't find anywhere that that video was posted by RPG as being representitve of the sim being developed.

It's funny how people will make mountains out of mole-hills

No one said the EDGE videos were related in any way or being developed/introduced to the WW2 sim.They were just brought up to show what the engine can do which is really impressive.

It's worth noting that EDGE has also been in development for professional flight simulation systems - the Corsica video may not be a true representation of what is going to be available via gaming software. As far as I'm aware, DCS have as yet to release any 'official' EDGE video. 

I think we have to be very patient to see the 1st EDGEd DCS video.

This is what Luthier said about EDGE a couple of days ago:

'Unfortunately, as the other landscapes done in EDGE were done as commercial projects, we are unable to show any part of that terrain. Normandy is the only thing we can show, and it is clearly nowhere near finished.

We are also not at the stage where planes can fly over Normandy. We really tried to have a Mustang in a Normandy field today, but ran into some issues, and decided not to delay the video for it. Once we have those tests done, we’ll definitely release those shots.'

The few seconds of Normandy coast in the video + screenshots are very WIP with low rez textures, no color correction and hardly populated.

Which means a lot needs to be done before they can show an acceptable video.

Seems like the KS is slowing down a bit..

Not much info yet.  Only three very small pieces of landscape.  Everything else seems to be the work of others.  Maybe if they can show something of substance before the campaign comes to an end they might see a bit more support.  So far there hasn't been the, "screenshots, videos, schedules, and the most detailed feature description you’ve ever seen on any flight sim ever" that Luthier originally promised.  Presumably they will be along in the next two weeks.  Sooner would be much better than later however if he wants to get the greatest benefit from it.

Not much info yet.  Only three very small pieces of landscape.  Everything else seems to be the work of others.  Maybe if they can show something of substance before the campaign comes to an end they might see a bit more support.  So far there hasn't been the, "screenshots, videos, schedules, and the most detailed feature description you’ve ever seen on any flight sim ever" that Luthier originally promised.  Presumably they will be along in the next two weeks.  Sooner would be much better than later however if he wants to get the greatest benefit from it.

Cant agree more.He hasnt been very active on the forums so I imagine he is very busy planning and making future updates.But as you said the sooner the better.

Edited by royraiden

We already have the P-51 which you can fly right now.  If you're wondering what DCS WW2 might be like, it's staring you in the face.

Well, yes and no. They claim to be giving full multiplayer functionality rather than peer to peer only that P51 has?....Plus, and more importantly the new EDGE engine, which isnt even a finished product yet...

I know what you mean by your post, but you may aswell say go fly a P51 in IL2:1946...

All bets are off until we see some factual pics/vids, no?

The P-51 in DCS WW2 will be the exact same aircraft we have in DCS World.  The Fw 190 in DCS WW2 will the be exact same aircraft that is coming to DCS World.  The terrain will be different, and there will be single player campaigns.  The nature of multiplayer is yet to be determined.

That's what I know in a nutshell.

I bought the P-51 on sale and then felt like a thief.  If you don't want to buy it there are plenty of videos on the web that give you a taste, but of course it's not as much fun as flying it yourself.

This is what Luthier said about EDGE a couple of days ago:

'Unfortunately, as the other landscapes done in EDGE were done as commercial projects, we are unable to show any part of that terrain. Normandy is the only thing we can show, and it is clearly nowhere near finished.

Well that is pretty clear. And I really don't understand why so many people cannot grasp that there is not much to show yet. The project is not started up yet, that is why they need to do the Kickstarter! But this will be an integral part of DCS so look at that sim and you will have a good idea of the quality we can expect.

I'm beginning to think that it isn't because people can't understand it but because they won't understand it... Well, we have seen that before, so nothing new there...

• Upvote 2

I flew a few P-51 vs. 190 dogfights in DCS and it showed pretty clearly, how SP depends on a good AI. And the AI in DCS is very good and it was lots of fun.

So yeah, a WW2 setting, with more planes and a new map and perhaps a good campaign would really be nice to have. I'm going to pledge $50.00.

• Upvote 1

Well that is pretty clear. And I really don't understand why so many people cannot grasp that there is not much to show yet. The project is not started up yet, that is why they need to do the Kickstarter! But this will be an integral part of DCS so look at that sim and you will have a good idea of the quality we can expect.

I'm beginning to think that it isn't because people can't understand it but because they won't understand it... Well, we have seen that before, so nothing new there...

Yeah, you know - the Kickstarter part especially. :scratch_one-s_head:

Look Gav, 

I hate flying beautiful (and excellent) P-51 in that ugly DCS Georgia terrain.

But if in EDGE you would really be able to fly through trees, then it's a no go for me, sry.

Until it's fixed.

I hear you, that is an unfortunate thing that will be missing.  I don't think everything will be golden over here, either, but I'm not going to get into specifics in this thread.  You can read my questions in the "questions for developers" thread.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/7-questions-developers/page-10

We have a tendency to dig in our heels on specific issues, and I am definitely guilty of that.  Not being happy with a developer's previous title makes us very squeamish.

Edited by gavagai

By the disappointing performance of the Kickstarter It's clear they needed something concrete to show, early 3D model work on the new planes or artwork, at the very least pics of the P51 or FW190 in the Edge engine. This should have been drip fed daily over the month of the Kickstarter, now its too late.

Sadly this Kickstarter was rushed out, for obvious reasons that are better not discussed here.

• Upvote 1

By the disappointing performance of the Kickstarter It's clear they needed something concrete to show, early 3D model work on the new planes or artwork, at the very least pics of the P51 or FW190 in the Edge engine. This should have been drip fed daily over the month of the Kickstarter, now its too late.

Sadly this Kickstarter was rushed out, for obvious reasons that are better not discussed here.

Won't disagree, but I'm hopeful that when/if it makes the $100,000 then with some solid hands on content then further development will be far more certain rather than vague promises from people who have a passionate, if spotty, record.  I've backed the project and have high hopes that it will be successful, as flight simmers I don't think we can afford to be overly picky and if someone of their abilities wants to feed that passion then we should at least give them the benefit of the doubt.

If succssesful and the final project is well recieved , but the stretch goals aren't funded , then I could see room for interim kickstarters for other aircraft, such as the B17.