jfalk

"launcher has stopped working"..part 2

sorry about starting this again but somehow it was impossible for me post a response to a suggestion in the last thread of the same name.

Christ....I have tried every suggestion so far without any luck.I still get the "launcher has stopped working"....I have a normal computer with Win 7. What the Sam Hill is the answer that I seek?REFUND?

If you go to X:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\game

Will the game even launch?  Or is it even installing?

• Upvote 1

Hello,

Yes, try launching the game direct without the launcher as TWB has suggested. If that works then we know there is something wrong with you using the launcher. You can also request help through our support page.

Jason

I'm not quite sure how to start the game without the launcher..the only 2 application files i have are Launcher and Restarter. Launcher does not work and Restarter does even less.I would love to find an IL2.exe somewhere.

Thank you all for your efforts though...very much appreciated.

Vid drivers up to date.

Well, a quick look at the game directory revelead an executable simply called IL2. I clicked on it, and it took me to the log-in screen, but after a bit, told me that the connection to the server was unavailable. Tried logging in with the launcher and no problems. So, I think your problem may lie elsewhere-

Thinking.............

JFalk; look at the link below:

http://ghost-recon.ubi.com/ghost-recon-phantoms/en-gb/support/technical/index_detail.aspx?c=tcm:21-45487&ct=tcm:6-231-32

This is specific to "Ghost Recon" but does address the Microsoft.Net Framework requirement. I do not know if IL2 is dependant on this functionality or not, I believe the .Net Framework is used with many windows based games. You might want to follow the instructions and make sure you have the current framework loaded. Make sure you have a recent System Restore point to retreat to if necessary. If you don't, create one and give it a try-

Edited by chris455

chris455..thank you I had the proper .Net Framework so that also is not the problem.A really perplexing problem that just bugs me to tears.I really want to fly a little faster than my Dr1.

There have been two recent updates- any luck?

(one was just a little while ago!)

Can you take and attach screenshot of error?

If Windows message box have "Details" button/collapsed panel, then screenshot with details of error.

Do you have SweetFX installed?

Some people had the exact same problem and SweetFX was causing a conflict.

Everyone,thanks for your help.My Launcher never actually worked for me so I installed the game on a friends laptop...got my 16 gig thumbdrive ,copied it and installed on my computer.The IL2.exe works like a charm,thanks again.

Hey guys,

i have troubles with the launcher too.

here are some facts:

- game has been uninstalled

- I downloaded the current setup.exe

- my graphic card driver is up to date, geforce 344.48 with 560Ti

- geforce experience is uninstalled

-  the current Microsoft.Net Framework is installed

- win 7 64bit

ba4hofhf.jpg

k6qqcpkj.jpg

hope you can help!

Hey guys,

i have troubles with the launcher too.

here are some facts:

- game has been uninstalled

- I downloaded the current setup.exe

- my graphic card driver is up to date, geforce 344.48 with 560Ti

- geforce experience is uninstalled

-  the current Microsoft.Net Framework is installed

- win 7 64bit

hope you can help!

Hm, roots of an issue are in kernelbase.dll, which is not used by launcher directly.

Am I correct, that launcher on your PC crashes when it starts, not when you hit close button?

If it crashes at start, let's check how it works without any GUI. Download and unpack attached .zip file. There is launcher_headless_31-wip.exe in bin/game folder of that archive.

Copy it to the /bin/game of the folder, in which game is installed, and then execute. If your game is installed in Program Files, than you may need to start it as Administrator. It should perform usual updating process, but in console window (if there is no new version, it will close itself several seconds later, otherwise you will see a lot of text on screen and actual progress of updating process). If it ends, without crashing with error similar to posted by you, then it seems there are some conflicts between GUI and related system libraries. Otherwise it is an issue of updating code itself.

launcher_31-wip.zip

I do not want to toss the genius label around lightly ...but you Sir are  friggin  one!! Bravo,well done.The launcher had been a real thorn in my side.Well thanks to you..game updated and I'm ready to fly again.Esp. thank you but also everyone who chimed in with their help.

jensen

Hm, roots of an issue are in kernelbase.dll, which is not used by launcher directly.

Am I correct, that launcher on your PC crashes when it starts, not when you hit close button?

If it crashes at start, let's check how it works without any GUI. Download and unpack attached .zip file. There is launcher_headless_31-wip.exe in bin/game folder of that archive.

Copy it to the /bin/game of the folder, in which game is installed, and then execute. If your game is installed in Program Files, than you may need to start it as Administrator. It should perform usual updating process, but in console window (if there is no new version, it will close itself several seconds later, otherwise you will see a lot of text on screen and actual progress of updating process). If it ends, without crashing with error similar to posted by you, then it seems there are some conflicts between GUI and related system libraries. Otherwise it is an issue of updating code itself.

attachicon.giflauncher_31-wip.zip

Thank you Taleks, this works to get the game running.  But, launcher GUI still crashes on startup, so will I be able to update again when the next update comes round?

Labroisse

Thank you Taleks, this works to get the game running.  But, launcher GUI still crashes on startup, so will I be able to update again when the next update comes round?

Labroisse

Bump.

attachicon.giflauncher_31-wip.zip

oh my god, it finally works!!! Thank you taleks!!!!

I'm so happy to get back in the air again :DDDD

Labroisse

So Launcher still crashes on startup.  So how do I update?  Run  launcher_headless_31-wip.exe again?

So Launcher still crashes on startup.  So how do I update?  Run  launcher_headless_31-wip.exe again?

yes.

Also, if you can take screenshot or get windows crash report details for Event Viewer, attach it to this thread.

yes.

Also, if you can take screenshot or get windows crash report details for Event Viewer, attach it to this thread.

Thanks Taleks.  I'll post screenshot when I get home, but it is exactly the same as the one that was posted above.  kernelbase.dll error.

Taleks. event error log:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          11/11/2014 8:52:29 PM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      PC

Description:

Faulting application name: Launcher.exe, version: 2014.5.28.1, time stamp: 0x5405bd62

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18409, time stamp: 0x53159a86

Exception code: 0xe0434f4d

Fault offset: 0x0000c42d

Faulting process id: 0x%9

Faulting application start time: 0x%10

Faulting application path: %11

Faulting module path: %12

Report Id: %13

Event Xml:

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-11-12T01:52:29.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>5790</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Launcher.exe</Data>

<Data>2014.5.28.1</Data>

<Data>5405bd62</Data>

<Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>

<Data>6.1.7601.18409</Data>

<Data>53159a86</Data>

<Data>e0434f4d</Data>

<Data>0000c42d</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Edited by II./JG1_Labroisse

Sorry to drag up this thread but I've been getting this same issue.

Launcher instantly crashing on start up.

Is the reason known yet?

Sorry to drag up this thread but I've been getting this same issue.

Launcher instantly crashing on start up.

Is the reason known yet?

If you see exactly same faulty module, then the reason as in last cases is not in launcher, because as you see in posted event logs - faulty module is kernelbase.dll, which is windows module.

Without proper debugging on PC, where this error exists, it is impossible to nail down the reason why WPF based GUI forces Windows system dll to crash.

WPF is default component of .NET Framework.

Sometimes it is related to SweetFX, but current versions of launcher use software rendering mode to avoid problems, caused by SweetFX mangling of system shaders.

The only solution for now is to use either headless launcher (updating in console) or simple launcher (which doesn't use WPF).

I´m having the launcher chrash too and I get a similar log entry with launcher, simple launcher and launcher headless, looks like this

BOS update library 31 (build date: Oct 27 2014, libcurl/7.15.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8a zlib/1.2.3, open-vcdiff/BOS-mod+)
Windows locale code page is: 850
free disk size: 219811332096
Trying master server il2bosrd1.s3.amazonaws.com
Failed to download file latest.info (-1: couldn't connect to host)
Failed to send version request to master server (-1)
Latest version: unknown
Failed to load current snapshot. Seems, need to update.

--- starting update ---
working at: \\?\H:\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad
Failed to load current snapshot
WARNING: forced recovery mode for updating (takes more time)
Recovery mode enabled
Connecting to IL-2: BOS update server (il2bosrd1.s3.amazonaws.com, port 80)
Loading local copy of install-actions
md5 for snapshot is wrong.
Downloading remote copy of snapshot.
Failed to download file (-1: couldn't connect to host)
  file id: unknown.snap
Failed to get snapshot for version unknown
Closing cURL client.
Downloaded 0 kBytes.
Killing update threads...
Killing caching thread...
SafeKillTorrentClient
leaving il2_KillUpdateThreads()
Copying update.log to last_update.log
Update status: failed
Failed to update to latest version

Had this problem ever since upgrading from W764home premium to W10 64! Noone has been able to find a solution. I was hoping for this last resort but no! Still stuck! Please help!!

Your issue is that something blocks connections. I don't have Win10, so I can't guess what is wrong with it.

The only option to try except those we've tried with you already is to disable Smart Screen.

Our support guy have installed Win10 with all default settings except SmartScreen (he just disabled it by his habit) and had no any issues with game installation or updating. I doubt that SmartScreen can cause connection blocking (its purpose is to check downloaded content) but try it.

I´ll try to find smart screen, but that is something I haven´t seen anything about! Is it some feature applied by default? I´ll check and report back as soon as possible! One more thing I´ll try is a VPN tunnel when I get a grip of how to. My last resort will be dumping my C drive and make a clean install of 10 on a new SSD drive. It will take some time to get there but winter is coming on and indoor hobbies will rule!

I´ll try to find smart screen, but that is something I haven´t seen anything about! Is it some feature applied by default? I´ll check and report back as soon as possible! One more thing I´ll try is a VPN tunnel when I get a grip of how to. My last resort will be dumping my C drive and make a clean install of 10 on a new SSD drive. It will take some time to get there but winter is coming on and indoor hobbies will rule!

SmartScreen is enabled by default. You can disable it during installation (at least it was in Win8.1, I've not installed Win10 myself) and after installation in control panel (BTW, in Win10 you need to visit control panel anyway in order to disable telemetry related stuff, which may log and send some keyboard/pen usage data and is considered by many users as violation of privacy).

I don't think VPN can help, because if it worked before and the only change is Windows version, then it is unrelated to network at all.

But If you have some time, try to install version of Windows you used previously and see, if it works.

After upgrading to Windows 10 I had this message. my problem was solved by editing "setup.cfg", change the screen resolution (800x600) and put windowed mode. So my problem disappeared and from the setup of the simulator turned to put my native screen resolution and fullscreen. Solved for my this appcrash.

Sry for my english ;)

I have been plagued by "Launcher crash" forever. Through 3 PC's since the game came out.

Getting the same kernel error as mentioned above.

Over the last week I put together a new PC and did a fresh install of Win 10.

Loaded IL2 and the launcher worked. Started adding my peripherals Hotas, Rudder pedals etc. Launcher kept working.

Installed a few other games, RoF, Cliffs of Dover and DCS. Which update C++ and DX9.

Launcher no issues.

Kept working like this over a few days, installing bits and pieces and checking BoS.

No issues. Fingers crossed I might be OK with this new build.

Added a few more apps, MB management software, monitoring stuff etc. BoS still working.

So then carried on as normal until today, when I launched BoS and the launcher crashed....WTF!

Went back through the grey matter and concluded all I loaded was Paintshop pro and some fonts.

Uninstalled PSP and fonts and launcher started working.

Put back in PSP launcher still works.

It's a font!!

Added fonts one at a time until I get to one font "LilienthalGrotesk_next001.otf"

Soon as I added that the launcher crashed. Took it out Launcher worked. Repeated this a few times same result every time.

Looks like my issue that has bugged me for years is down to a font!

Posting this up in case it helps someone else.

Could be that the issue is that the font was an OTF rather than a truetype.

Whatever the reason, the problem is repeatable on my PC.

BTW, LilienthalGrotesk is the font for RoF GUI

Edited by J2_SteveF
  • Upvote 1

Glad you sorted that problem, maybe you should put this info in bug reports or PM Taleks so this info is out there

Cheers Dakpilot

Who would have thought that. A font.

Unbelievable.

Good you figured it out.

After  bit more digging, I think the actual fonts were corrupt.

I was going to zip them up but they wouldn't allow me to zip them up.

Trying to zip them up and the launcher issue is the only time since I've been using this font that I've seen a problem, and I've used it a few times. It's the RoF GUI font so use it to bash out the occasional RoF wallpaper.

Bizarre, this issue has bugged me since day one and it's down to a sodding font!

After  bit more digging, I think the actual fonts were corrupt.

I was going to zip them up but they wouldn't allow me to zip them up.

Trying to zip them up and the launcher issue is the only time since I've been using this font that I've seen a problem, and I've used it a few times. It's the RoF GUI font so use it to bash out the occasional RoF wallpaper.

Bizarre, this issue has bugged me since day one and it's down to a sodding font!

I am getting this problem now too, I think. How do I fix the font? Now that I think about it, this only started after downloading RoF.

Hello guys,

when I try to set/change commands/axis in Key Mapping menü, game crashes with the message "Launcher has stopped working". Anyone have an idea? Thanks.