Zak

Game version 1.003 discussion

This escape key bug is really bugging me.  Finally finished a complete mission with the Stuka on expert, and I'm sitting next to the runway on my home field unable to exit the mission because nothing happens when I press the Esc key. I don't even really care about the unlocks, and if they weren't there I'd just shut the thing down and only be mildly annoyed because of the bug, but knowing that I've made no progress toward the unlocks and will still be flying my green skin in the winter for the foreseeable future somehow makes it feel worse having to lose the missions to this bug.

are you using a Saitek or Thrustmaster software that uses scripts for the inputs?

It happens all the time for me if you have some command from the joystick that is still pressed or turned (rotaries). put them back in neutral, (for me unloicking the brakes will do most of the time) and the Esc should work.

What I described is not a game bug but the scripts making other keyboard commands not usable.

Edited by CBZ323

are you using a Saitek or Thrustmaster software that uses scripts for the inputs?

It happens all the time for me if you have some command from the joystick that is still pressed or turned (rotaries). put them back in neutral, (for me unloicking the brakes will do most of the time) and the Esc should work.

What I described is not a game bug but the scripts making other keyboard commands not usable.

Good suggestions, but not as far as I know.  I use a Logitech Force3D Pro stick - prop pitch is mapped to the throttle slider on that stick, but there's no "neutral" for that setting (I tried it at both extremes and in the middle, just in case, and I even unplugged the stick eventually, but it didn't help).  As far as I know none of the buttons are sticking (there's only one mapped to send a keyboard command - I use a button to center my TIR by sending F12) - there's no indication anyway that anything is being sent with hands off the stick.  I also use a Saitek Throttle Quadrant, but I don't use the Saitek software with it and just configure it directly in the BoS controls settings screens.  I have throttle, mixture and water radiator mapped to the 3 slider levers, and I tried putting these levers in all sort of positions trying to make the Esc key work, but no luck, and again I get no indication that anything is being sent while hands are off.

I have had this happen off and on in several missions now, and I can't discern any pattern or reason why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - I'm using the same controllers with the same settings for the missions that work as for the ones that don't.  

Very frustrating as between AI or autopilot killing my pilot or this Esc key bug trashing my missions, I haven't been able to successfully complete a mission in several days now :(

This escape key bug is really bugging me.  Finally finished a complete mission with the Stuka on expert, and I'm sitting next to the runway on my home field unable to exit the mission because nothing happens when I press the Esc key. I don't even really care about the unlocks, and if they weren't there I'd just shut the thing down and only be mildly annoyed because of the bug, but knowing that I've made no progress toward the unlocks and will still be flying my green skin in the winter for the foreseeable future somehow makes it feel worse having to lose the missions to this bug.

I have the same issue. I just contacted the support, they asked if the ESC bug still exist if the Trackir software is off. I will try that.

I had that problem once.  Just sitting there waiting.  Then out of boredom I rolled to the end of the runway, that seemed to trigger the exit key and I got the points and the unlocks.  Ever since then, if I land, I always taxi to the end of the runway.  No more problem (knock on wood).

• Upvote 1

I had that problem once.  Just sitting there waiting.  Then out of boredom I rolled to the end of the runway, that seemed to trigger the exit key and I got the points and the unlocks.  Ever since then, if I land, I always taxi to the end of the runway.  No more problem (knock on wood).

Mike - the real ESC bug happens also in MP, and there is no trigger there to end a mission. 

Mike - the real ESC bug happens also in MP, and there is no trigger there to end a mission. 

I solved this problem by binding the escape key itself to my H4U button on my warthog. Worked on my rig.

• Upvote 1

I solved this problem by binding the escape key itself to my H4U button on my warthog. Worked on my rig.

Thank you for the suggestion, I tried to bind the ESC to one of the Saitek buttons too. No chance.

Found a little bug, On Germann airfields searchlights have Russian personel.

• Upvote 1

HEY I tried it by assigning the key in the Saiyek profiler instead of the game controls ... and so far it works ... cross fingers and thanks!

I have the same issue. I just contacted the support, they asked if the ESC bug still exist if the Trackir software is off. I will try that.

Well, maybe they have a point.  I ran a mission with TIR software not open/active, and it worked just fine.  Then I exited the game, opened the TIR software, and went back in game and flew two more missions with the TIR software open/active.  I never got the chance to test the Esc key bug, however, because the autopilot killed me in both missions - once while flying back after reaching the exit point, and the second time by flying me into the ground during my third dive-bombing run.

So, maybe there is something going on here that's somehow related to BoS and TIR?  

I avoided getting involved with BoS during the EA period because I didn't feel like playing a game during beta, and here I am doing what feels like beta testing :(

So, maybe there is something going on here that's somehow related to BoS and TIR?

Check your trackir profile for which hotkeys are defined and make a new copy of the profile for BoS. Ensure that the hotkeys for trackIR a are NOT keys you have defined in BoS. (F12 for trackir center etc are already bound in BoS to Camera commands by default.)

Also, if you use teamspeak make sure the talk keys etc are not bound to keys for BoS. Teamspeak can also interfere.

Edited by 39bn_pavig

Check your trackir profile for which hotkeys are defined and make a new copy of the profile for BoS. Ensure that the hotkeys for trackIR a are NOT keys you have defined in BoS. (F12 for trackir center etc are already bound in BoS to Camera commands by default.)

Also, if you use teamspeak make sure the talk keys etc are not bound to keys for BoS. Teamspeak can also interfere.

In my tests I had the impression that the bug happened after hitting repeatedly the "center TrackIr" X52  button, bound to F12. I tried to change it to F11 and made also a new profile for TIR, to no avail. Chris' suggestion above now seems to work, so far. I will keep you all posted.

Cheers,

Ins

Well, further testing has just muddied the water.  My next mission (with TIR software active) worked just fine (got me all the way back to base and landed, and the Esc key worked), and then a mission with the TIR software not running saw the autopilot kill me on my third bomb run by flying into the ground.  In my latest test missions with TIR software on I wasn't using it or pressing any keys - just flying missions with autopilot while the TIR software happened to be running.  And I've confirmed that the only two keys I have mapped in TIR (F9 for pause, and F12 for center) are not assigned to any commands/functions in BoS (I'd previously unassigned them from whatever they might have originally been assigned to in BoS)

So, mixed results with the testing so far.  Only silver lining of sorts is the fact that the few missions which have worked have resulted in unlocking the siren and a couple of skins (also unlocked a bigger bomb, supposedly, although the game would not let me select it for the campaign missions despite showing it as unlocked - not sure what that's about).

i keep getting frequent "the program stopped working" when i hit Exit game in the main menu.

It's not a major inconvenience but it's something to look at.

Also, i havent tried landing in short missions for a long time bc it used to crash.

I tried today and after a glorious mission, when I hit Finish mission after landing, it crashed again... 

I hope these issues get looked into. If there is a better place to post the issues please let me know, (a link would be preferred ;) )

Well, I get confused every time I run more tests.  Just went in and flew 4 straight missions, with both my RTSS FPS counter/overlay and my TIR software running.  The first three worked fine from beginning to end and let me use the Esc key after landing.  The fourth mission saw the autopilot fly me right into the ground on the third bomb run - that seems to happen fairly regularly, and almost always on the third/last bomb run  (in fact, I'm not sure I've ever survived all 3 bomb runs - the missions that have succeeded seem to have been the ones where my AI buddies managed to rack up enough hits/kills so I got the task completed message and broke off my attack runs before dropping all my bombs).  

Bottom line, this was my most successful test session yet (75% success - my previous sessions over the past several days have only been 20-25% successful), and it was with both the overlay and the TIR software active, both of which have been speculated as possible culprits of the Esc key bug and/or the "stopped working" bug.  So, no clue.

One thing I noted - in one of the daytime missions (I think it was midday/early afternoon maybe) I saw a recurrence of the weird sky problem I've noted a few times before.  The first time I thought it might be a function of DSR, but then I saw it with DSR off so I thought it might have been a function of using the "balanced" preset, but tonight I saw it while using the "high" preset (DSR still off).  It looks like this:

BoS-skycreasesonhigh-noDSR-1.jpg

Anybody else getting that?

• Upvote 1

TG55_Pathercules : I see that in the sky too, but to me it looks just like a natural cirrus cloud formation, I do not think it is a "problem" at all.

S!

When you land the tower tells you to clear the runway. Just roll enough to clear it and shut down. Should be able to exit mission. ESC has always worked for me, but the game stopped responding at times when I grinded that campaign.

S!

When you land the tower tells you to clear the runway. Just roll enough to clear it and shut down. Should be able to exit mission. ESC has always worked for me, but the game stopped responding at times when I grinded that campaign.

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestion. The ESC bug affects bot SP and MP unfortunately. Now Chris' suggestion seems to work, for the moment.

Cheers!

Re linear cloud formations

...Anybody else getting that?

Yes. It is a naturally occuring upper atmosphere cloud formation. Someone mentioned these several weeks ago, and I almost took some photos of the same formations locally to prove they exist. Rest assured it's normal.

Re linear cloud formations

Yes. It is a naturally occuring upper atmosphere cloud formation. Someone mentioned these several weeks ago, and I almost took some photos of the same formations locally to prove they exist. Rest assured it's normal.

Lol lots!!!!!  Come on man!  That's just a little graphic problem or limitation - call it what you will - with the game.  "naturally occurring upper atmosphere cloud formation" lmao!! :lol:

Its not a terribly big problem but please, lets not invent stuff. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Lol lots!!!!!  Come on man!  That's just a little graphic problem or limitation - call it what you will - with the game.  "naturally occurring upper atmosphere cloud formation" lmao!! :lol:

Looks perfectly natural to me, it is not as though there is an identical repeating pattern or anything, not sure what all the eye-rolling is in aid of.

Right, now had two completed missions in a row crash the game.  Get home, good landing, taxi to dispersal, stop engine. Watch wingman land. Press esc, get Do you want to exit mission box, press end mission (IIRC) get little windows box saying IL-2 has stopped working.

I wonder if it something to do with the communications with the server? Where I live the internet can be slow at peak hours (even on a fibre connection) and I occasionally have websites fail to respond on a first try, then I can get them when I click again. So I wonder if my PC's request to the server to update data is being timed out somewhere in the link?

Its a poorly rendered bit of sky, its a limitation, its not quite right - whatever.  I think this is a great game so no need to invent or misrepresent stuff that merely represents a minor limitation.

Edit;  @unreasonable;  yes agree with a possible problem with internet speeds/connections.   I'm in rural south west England and when it rains I can't connect to multiplayer, initial game loading is slower, etc. 

I find this particularly trying as half a mile down the road they're having cable put in now :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Edited by arthursmedley

Does anyone know what the plane speeds are which are being used for calculating flight times in the mission briefing?

Looks like cirrostratus nebulosis to me getting broken up by the jetstream. Implies differing high altitude temperature layers. 

Check http://namesofclouds.com/types-of-clouds/stratus-clouds.html and 

http://namesofclouds.com/cirrostratus/cirrostratus-nebulosus.html

Could also be radiatus, but doesn't look regular enough: http://namesofclouds.com/types-of-clouds/radiatus-clouds.html

I don't think it is a graphic problem as it occurs naturally, but being an easy to spot cloud oddity in the upper atmosphere perhaps not the best choice by the developers for a skydome. It is one of several skydomes though so not really an issue. And no, I'm not inventing stuff. It is possible that such regular cloud patterns don't happen often in your area of the world due to the proximity of the sea/trade winds or something.

• Upvote 1

Edit;  @unreasonable;  yes agree with a possible problem with internet speeds/connections.   I'm in rural south west England and when it rains I can't connect to multiplayer, initial game loading is slower, etc. 

I find this particularly trying as half a mile down the road they're having cable put in now :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

So I suppose it is time for you to move house - or buy a shovel, a junction box and half a mile of cable. Probably cheaper...

Well, naturally occurring or not they look really weird.  I looked at those other pictures linked to above and I can see maybe you might encounter one of those straight-line effects with some clouds structures - but when I see this effect, it's generally 3 or 4 of these lines/creases that look like they're radiating out in a very odd fashion.  Next time I see it I'll try to grab some screenshots that show more of the sky and the overall pattern.

Hard to imagine that this would be a naturally occurring phenomenon.  I've never spent the winter near Stalingrad so I can't say for sure, but it just reeks of some sort of graphical glitch and I suspect I'm not alone in that reaction to it, so it still might be worth the devs' while to consider replacing this skydome with one that doesn't have that effect.

Yes, I saw that odd sky/cloud effect tonight and it's not natural at all..

Yeah - the biggest difference I see between what I'm seeing in game and the cloud pictures that were linked to above is that in the game it generally doesn't look like there's a line of clouds (or clouds with an edge to them), it just looks like there are areas of sky (with different colors and such) that meet in a line. So, it comes off looking much more like a graphical glitch than a cloud formation.  

I've seen it now in several different missions/times of day/weather conditions, and it has looked weird and glitchy in every one of them.

Does anyone know what the plane speeds are which are being used for calculating flight times in the mission briefing?

Did you try to calculate it on your own?

You have the distance, you have the time, school should have taught you the rest.

I don't have exact numbers, but I seem to remember in bombing missions I had sometimes 20km on the attack leg with ~4mins, that would make it an average speed of 20km/0.067h=300km/h.

Edited by WhoCares

If this is just intentional to prevent the unlocks, then so be it, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's indicative of some unintended problem with the auto pilot routines.

I can't imagine that's the case. If it were, haha holy hell, RIP BoS. Plus, I was flying the campaign when it happened, no updates were downloaded. I was getting XP on mission, then the next nothing. So, it's just an error.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

I think we are underestimating the effectiveness of gunners in WWII a bit. Planes were indeed damaged and shot down by gunners. You could not attack at will and not pay a price. There are successful strategies in our titles that when used work to down bombers.

Jason

I agree fully. Now after you kill him you won't get the kill reported, but that's another issue I guess...

I think the team balance system on BoS servers need to be tweaked. Sometimes it is just 7:8 and one cannot join the side one has flown on after a death or landing or whatsowever. This is really annoying. I personnally think that people who have flown once for a side should be able to fly again on this side and all new joiners would need to choose the other side in case of an imbalance. 

Edited by sturmkraehe

I am currently unlocking for the Stuka. Following observations:

- it is impossible to use the big bomb (I think it's the 1800 kg) for ground attack, only for bombing. Don't see the difference. Can't see why.

- pitch trim is too weak. Same for yaw. I cannot put the ball in the centre with yaw trim.

- The unlockable skins are most of the time boring (ok, that is a subjective matter, but most of them are just variations of the same white paint with only small almost unnoticeable differences like different numbering or spinner colour. Imho not enough to be motivating to unlock them). Why no yellow nose stukas or desert paint stukas like for other planes? Or a paint like this?

box1.jpg

On a general note concerning bomber campaign missions (doing axis bomber right now)

- Particularly too much single bomber missions. This feels especially wrong when in a Stuka. Too little bomb load per plane whereas the Heinkel has enough to compensate for smaller number, I understand that the game engine may not be capable to handle realistic bomber flight numbers but why limit it to 4 or 6 anyway? 

- The gunners are not meant to spend their ammo on ground targets but they do. If they have enough spare ammo of course then it's ok. But imho the pilot should order his gunner to do so specifically.

- I miss a flight commander order "attack mission target". I usually end up with wingmen still with their bomb load when running home despite me having ordered them to attack nearest ground target, in particular when flying stuka. Sometimes it is necessary to obtain mission objective by the wingmen because of me not aiming well enough. Then it is hurting that the wingmen don't do what I want them to.

- The damping of the autolevel pilot is far too weak and too close to the stability limit. Please move the real part of the root further to the negative side of the root locus and if possible reduce the imaginary part. It continues to oscillate well after having made a request for left or right turn. This is particularly critical when doing level bombing. Small corrections when having the target already in bomb sight take too long to stabilize for doing a successfull aiming.

I realized on a positive side that the wingmen dump their bomb load before preparing for landing: thumps up!

Edited by sturmkraehe

Skin templates are being worked on. There will hopefully be lots of cool looking skins available. We'll be giving everyone a nice template for each plane saving artists lots of time. Just like we did with ROF.

Jason

• Upvote 6

Skin templates are being worked on. There will hopefully be lots of cool looking skins available. We'll be giving everyone a nice template for each plane saving artists lots of time. Just like we did with ROF.

Jason

Fantastic ! :)

Jason

Awesome Jason. I really look forward to our personal squadron skins.   :cool: