Sign in to follow this  
germanicusgermanicus1936

Focke-Wulf 189

RN Capt Eric "Winkle" Brown, "Wings on my Sleeve" and picture book "Wings of the Luftwaffe".  Please google and "Amazon" the author who is still alive. Read about him and his books. He reviews the FW 189 which he tested and piloted as a personal utility AC as he supervised the post war retrieval of German aircraft for testing. He said that although it was underpowered and poorly armed as a recon AC it was superb and difficult to shoot down. It was slow and easily manoverued making a target, he says, similar to Bronco OV-10. I would like the developers to consider a flyable AC with tactical recon low and slow over German units as missions. Capt Brown flew more AC than any other pilot, he was fluent in German, honored by foreign Test Pilot associations, and a fine man. Try YouTube.

• Upvote 1

Brown is very well-known by most in these forums, I think. Yes, the FW-189 was an amazing design, but with no guns and bombs I doubt there is sufficient interest in flying it. It would be amazing though: just imagine flying it with the Oculus Rift! Very interesting that you compare it to the Bronco. I wonder if the design was inspired by the FW-189? Check out the lovely photos of the 189 in another thread in this forum...

I wonder if the design was inspired by the FW-189?

From what I've read the captured Dutch Fokker G.1 seemed to have inspired designers of the FW-189 and the P-38. So one thing leads to another.

It might be possible indeed that the design of the Bronco OV-10 was inspired by the FW-189.

55052d1201903985-marcels-g-i-pictures-fo

According to my "Winkle" book, "Wings of the Luftwaffe", it was, for night work, armed with MG 151 Schräge Musik late war duty over Germany. Three crew for tactical 1942-43 Recon with fixed forward MG 17, 7.9 mm ( can't tell if 1 or 2 forward), twin  MG 81Z 7.9 mm in dorsal turret and aft end fuselage MG 18Z TRUNNION MOUNTS firing downward. Has GV 219d bomb sight front of navigator seat and wing mounted bomb racks, 2 per side 50 kg SC 50 bombs. Looking at page 76. Plenty of opportunity for very unusual missions and defensive flying. Capt Brown mentions Bronco similarities in his review of flying the FW 189 which he said was very enjoyable. He says it looks like a very unlikely AC to perform its duty but it surprised everyone to find it was one of Tank's (Germany's) best designs and performed it's duties very well. Tactical recon, flying low over the troops, radio contact, difficult target to hit as maneuverable, and it fights back. Seems like an actual realistic mission maker. In it's role, it is as important and equal to the Me 109 and FW190.

• Upvote 1

What was that funny looking German recon plane which wasn`t symmetrical. Henschel rings a bell, real odd looking plane. Ps I love the Fw189 and i`d definitely pay for that one and I thought it had the capacity to carry 4 x 50kg bombs??

Found the bugger via Google Blohm and Voss BV141

http://www.diseno-art.com/news_content/2012/04/strange-vehicles-blohm-voss-bv-141/

Edited by BFsSmurfy

Brown is very well-known by most in these forums, I think. Yes, the FW-189 was an amazing design, but with no guns and bombs I doubt there is sufficient interest in flying it. It would be amazing though: just imagine flying it with the Oculus Rift! Very interesting that you compare it to the Bronco. I wonder if the design was inspired by the FW-189? Check out the lovely photos of the 189 in another thread in this forum...

The FW189 had guns and bombs, just not a whole lot of them:

- a pair of forward firing MG17s

- a rear facing machine gun (either MG15 or MG81Z)

- up to 4xSC50

Edited by JG4_Karaya
  • Upvote 2

The FW189 had guns and bombs, just not a whole lot of them:

- a pair of forward firing MG17s

- a rear facing machine gun (either MG15 or MG81Z)

- up to 4xSC50

Nice .
I want one.

The wing could fit MG151/20MM canons (FW189 A-4) - I doubt those were used for it's primary recon role though.

This plane was a real thorn in the Soviet's sides and was considered a real prize to bring one down.