BzKBravoZulu

Major FPS hit in last few days - Low GPU usage - Please help

Hi Guys,

So my pc isn't the best...

Phenom II x4 955 - 3.2 g Quad

8gb 1666 Ram

GTX 560 TI 2gb

Normal HD (ie Not SSD)

But I have been getting decent playable fps in both SP & MP (35-50) up until a few days ago. Now it regularly drops to 18-24fps for long periods of time in different situations.

I always keep MSI Afterburner running (because its was early access) so I can see where and if there are any drops.

Since I got the sim  (at about 60% complete) it has been using my GPU fully (it always runs between 85-99% GPU usage continuously)

But in the last 4-5 days or so I noticed that the GPU usage has dropped drastically while in game - to about 31-39% GPU usage - which, of course is the reason for my extremely poor recent performance.

Whats maddening is when I get out of game - to the Maps/menus/Hanger - the GPU usage shoots back up to 99% usage and my fps goes back upto a solid 60fps. (I have the FPS limiter set to 60fps)

There is no thread I can see to post these performance reports back to the Devs so I am putting it here and asking if anyone could explain this or has any ideas how to fix it - cause just as the game releases (today!!! Urrrgh!) I can't play it anymore :((

I haven't played with my settings - they are the same as they were a week ago.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by BZKBravoZulu

It'd sure be nice to have customizable settings for this reason. Hint hint.

Have you tried reinstalling the game, actually? I've done that a few times and, every time, performance went back up. Still, the GPU usage is low. That needs to be addressed.

Hi MIG, Thanks for the advice, no I haven't had to reinstall - I have the STEAM Version ... Maybe its worth a go.

Is the GPU usage on your side also low ... Or were you just commenting on my GPU usage?

I'd really like to know what modulates the GPU usage ingame ... Does anyone have a clue?

Edited by BZKBravoZulu

Hi MIG, Thanks for the advice, no I haven't had to reinstall - I have the STEAM Version ... Maybe its worth a go.

Is the GPU usage on your side also low ... Or were you just commenting on my GPU usage?

I'd really like to know what modulates the GPU usage ingame ... Does anyone have a clue?

Bravo, I suspect you may have something running in the backround. your gpu should be running  at 90%. Check Task manager, Processes and look at the biggest numbers. Also in the main BOS Start Menu(Settings) BEFORE you Click PLAY. Make sure you are NOT seeding . Is "prefer Web distribution ticked " ? Hope this helps mate ~S~

Edited by jaydee

I had that model CPU until a few weeks ago. 

My recommendation, seeing that you have not applied any overclock your CPU. That CPU without any problem you bear x17.5 multiplier without touching a parameter more in bios, 200FSB x 17.5 multiplier. You will earn 300 mhz per core, which is not bad. 

Let you know that my experience with the X4 955 was not good in this sim. I had to play with AA2x LOW preset and frames and using GPU was not particularly good. 

Now I've switched to Intel CPU and graphics use is at 99%  and CPU use at 40% .. 50% ...  (using a rather old cfx, it goes smoothly) 

Try at least raise your CPU multiplier to 17.5 and try to see if you have a good improvement of frames.

Sry for my English...

I had that model CPU until a few weeks ago. 
My recommendation, seeing that you have not applied any overclock your CPU. That CPU without any problem you bear x17.5 multiplier without touching a parameter more in bios, 200FSB x 17.5 multiplier. You will earn 300 mhz per core, which is not bad. 

Let you know that my experience with the X4 955 was not good in this sim. I had to play with AA2x LOW preset and frames and using GPU was not particularly good. 
Now I've switched to Intel CPU and graphics use is at 99%  and CPU use at 40% .. 50% ...  (using a rather old cfx, it goes smoothly) 

Try at least raise your CPU multiplier to 17.5 and try to see if you have a good improvement of frames.

Sry for my English...

Thanks Sudoku, I would like to try that...

Where do you change the CPU multiplier?

I think my CPU is the 955 Black - so it was marketed to be Overclocked.

I just dont know where to do it// :)

Bravo, I suspect you may have something running in the backround. your gpu should be running  at 90%. Check Task manager, Processes and look at the biggest numbers. Also in the main BOS Start Menu(Settings) BEFORE you Click PLAY. Make sure you are NOT seeding . Is "prefer Web distribution ticked " ? Hope this helps mate ~S~

Jaydee, thanks for the reply bud, I will check out the bgd functions in task manager though I am certain there is nothing new going on there from last week. I am not seeding anything from my PC... And if you can please tell me where 'prefer web dist" is, I will untick it right now if its on - What is it by the way? -

I have to run a few things to play the Sim well though - like

TrackIR software

DS3 tool - gamepad remapper

saitek profiler

STEAM

Teamspeak

+ MSI afterburner & Riva Tuner

Jaydee, thanks for the reply bud, I will check out the bgd functions in task manager though I am certain there is nothing new going on there from last week. I am not seeding anything from my PC... And if you can please tell me where 'prefer web dist" is, I will untick it right now if its on - What is it by the way? -

I have to run a few things to play the Sim well though - like

TrackIR software

DS3 tool - gamepad remapper

saitek profiler

STEAM

Teamspeak

+ MSI afterburner & Riva Tuner

Double Click your BOS Icon on your desktop. DONT click on Play yet. Click the "Settings" tab.

Make sure "Seed when downloaded" is UNTICKED. Make sure "Prefer Web Distribution" IS ticked. ~S~

I have the same problem.

GTX980 card - ran super smooth two weeks ago when i last played the Early Access. Updated today to the released version and it's stuttery as hell.

I have 'Prefer Web Distribution' ticked and nothing in the background other than Track IR.

If I reinstall, will I lose all the unlocks that I've had to grind through?

Thanks Sudoku, I would like to try that...

Where do you change the CPU multiplier?

I think my CPU is the 955 Black - so it was marketed to be Overclocked.

I just dont know where to do it// :)

give me your motherboard modelo and this afternoon i will try to send you 3 or 4 easier points to do.

Now I'm go to flight some thermals with muy glider :)

S!

SteveD. You should not lose them as the data is stored server side, not client side. You will lose any control setups unless making a backup of them though.

• Upvote 1

S!

I got the same problem. Low GPU usage, which was at 90-100% (on both GPUs), but is now at 50-60%. FPS dropped from 60-80 to 30-50. VRAM is not bottlenecking, it was using about 1100/2000 MB of my VRAM before and now. I also can not imagine that the CPU (signature) could be the bottleneck.

I don't know the cause of it, FPS limiter is turned off. All I did in the last days was upgrading the Nvidia driver to the latest version and reinstalling IL2 BoS. I'm not sure if the new installation might be the cause of the FPS drop.

Zettman

Found an odd thing about vsync. If you set it in game rather than through gpu control panel it hurts FPS. Dunno why, just set it outside of game and no frame limiter in game.

• Upvote 1

S!

Just did some more test. Got the same results as OP. The GPU usage goes up to 99% while in the game menu/Hangar. I will do a fresh installation later this day and hope that it will change something.

Zettman

Update: Okay, even a fresh installation doesn't give me back my old 80 FPS, still lurking around at 30-50 FPS with only 60% GPU usage, VRAM still at 1200/2000 MB. I will try to increase my graphic settings from Balanced to high, to test whether my FPS will drop or my GPU usage increase.

(when will I be able to edit a post for more than a few minutes after I posted it?)

Zettman

Update: Okay, even a fresh installation doesn't give me back my old 80 FPS <snip>

Zettman

I get the same. 

Fresh install, but still lots of stuttering (looks like rubber banding) and very low GPU usage. 

Update: Okay, even a fresh installation doesn't give me back my old 80 FPS, still lurking around at 30-50 FPS with only 60% GPU usage, VRAM still at 1200/2000 MB. I will try to increase my graphic settings from Balanced to high, to test whether my FPS will drop or my GPU usage increase.

(when will I be able to edit a post for more than a few minutes after I posted it?)

Zettman

By switching from "Balanced" to "High" graphic settings my FPS stayed the same, but the GPU usage increased to about 80%, VRAM increased to 1370/2000 MB. This effect is similar to an FPS limiter, but my ingame FPS limiter is off.

Zettman

S!

Sorry for the doublepost, but I couldn't edit the old one.

I did some test with settings on Ultra, no FPS limiter

post-14028-0-27808600-1414358284_thumb.png

Hangar, 60 FPS, GPU usage 99%

post-14028-0-27025200-1414358273_thumb.png

Quick Mission, altitude 2000m, clear sky, looking around with TrackIR, 70-100 FPS, GPU usage 60-99%

post-14028-0-42591500-1414358280_thumb.png

Quick Mission, low altitude, clear sky, looking around with TrackIR, 40-70 FPS, GPU usage ~70-80%

post-14028-0-69968000-1414358288_thumb.png

Multiplayer (LD server), small clouds, 40-70 FPS, GPU usage ~60-70%

post-14028-0-47844600-1414358294_thumb.png

DCS Dora, Air combat training mission, GPU usage 99%

Zettman

When will I gain the ability to edit my old posts...

S!

I finally got my watercooled setup working again. 3-SLI GTX 780 EVGA Classified Hydro Copper cooled by a Gigant airplex 1680. This is what IL2 BoS Multiplayer on LD Heavy Metal is giving me (again, no FPS limiter).

post-14028-0-71478300-1414784462_thumb.png

FPS were 30-50 on the ground d and 40-60 in the air. So about the same or perhaps even worse than my two GTX 670. All 3 GPUs are in use, so SLI seems to work, but usage only hits 40-50%.

Zettman

S!

So my single 290X beats a Tri-SLI setup in performance? That is some poor scaling :( I wonder what causes this phenomenon.

When will I gain the ability to edit my old posts...

S!

I finally got my watercooled setup working again. 3-SLI GTX 780 EVGA Classified Hydro Copper cooled by a Gigant airplex 1680. This is what IL2 BoS Multiplayer on LD Heavy Metal is giving me (again, no FPS limiter).

attachicon.gifMP.PNG

FPS were 30-50 on the ground d and 40-60 in the air. So about the same or perhaps even worse than my two GTX 670. All 3 GPUs are in use, so SLI seems to work, but usage only hits 40-50%.

Zettman

If I were You I'd fire two of your GKs. Why? I have a single GTX 780. No OC at all, it's running at stock clock. And i get 40 - 60 fps at ground and up to 110 high in the air. In fact i put the FPS limiter in effect and set it to 80. At 4000m high it's rock solid 80 FPS.

If I were You I'd fire two of your GKs. Why? I have a single GTX 780. No OC at all, it's running at stock clock. And i get 40 - 60 fps at ground and up to 110 high in the air. In fact i put the FPS limiter in effect and set it to 80. At 4000m high it's rock solid 80 FPS.

S!

That doesn't make sense. Why would I disable hardware to get a better result? Im searching for the cause of this problem. Is it my CPU (i7 4830K) bottlenecking me or the game not being optimized for SLI? Before I reinstalled the game, I hit 80FPS with my two 670 GTX in SLI, their usage was 90-99%. But now my GPU usage has dropped and with it the FPS I get.

Zettman

S!

That doesn't make sense. Why would I disable hardware to get a better result? Im searching for the cause of this problem. Is it my CPU (i7 4830K) bottlenecking me or the game not being optimized for SLI? Before I reinstalled the game, I hit 80FPS with my two 670 GTX in SLI, their usage was 90-99%. But now my GPU usage has dropped and with it the FPS I get.

Zettman

I've never used SLI so I can't help with this setup. But it takes 15 mins to remove the two extra cards and test run BOS. You'll see if you get better results or not. Then it should be easier to conclude.

I've never used SLI so I can't help with this setup. But it takes 15 mins to remove the two extra cards and test run BOS. You'll see if you get better results or not. Then it should be easier to conclude.

S!

Sadly it wont be 15 minutes for me. They are in a waterloop, so it would take a while to get them out, adjust the loop and refil the water. I will try to disable SLI and see how that works.

Zettman

S!

After turning off SLI and firing up a SP Mission....I get about the same FPS. Is SLI working properly, I mean if I turn it on, all 3 GPUs are in use (like my 2 670 were before), but they seem no to increase FPS, more like they reduce them.

Zettman

give me your motherboard modelo and this afternoon i will try to send you 3 or 4 easier points to do.

Now I'm go to flight some thermals with muy glider :)

Hi SoDoku, Sorry for late reply, I found how to do it and changed it... Thanks. Still not helping my GPU usage though, but it should be good a for a frame or two. yay

Found an odd thing about vsync. If you set it in game rather than through gpu control panel it hurts FPS. Dunno why, just set it outside of game and no frame limiter in game.

Will try that...

S!

I went through the progress to take out all GTX 780 except for one. During IL2 BoS gameplay I had about 100% GPU usage. Than I put in the second GTX 780 and got only 60% usage on both during gameplay (other games like BF4 where giving me 100% usage  for both cards, same as Furmark). Than I overclocked my 4820K from 3.7 to 4.4 GHz and during the next test I was getting about 80% usage on both cards, FPS also increase. I was getting about the same FPS on the ground (50-60) and was hitting the limiter of 80 FPS I had set quiete fast as I got airborne (faster than with 3.7 GHz).

So am I right to assume that my CPU was (and still is) the bottleneck? Is CPU work heavier while being close to the ground (many objects) which would explain that my FPS didn't change that much on the ground. I always thought that 2-way SLI would not be bottlenecked by a modern CPU, but it seems this is the case here. This would also explain why I was getting even lower usage with 3 GPUs before.

Zettman

CPU = raw FPS

GPU = ability to run better eye candy at that fps

(not very scientific ;) )

Cheers Dakpilot

By switching from "Balanced" to "High" graphic settings my FPS stayed the same, but the GPU usage increased to about 80%, VRAM increased to 1370/2000 MB. This effect is similar to an FPS limiter, but my ingame FPS limiter is off.

Zettman

Ja man, I was running it at LOW with no AA... So I tried out what you did and put my settings on ULTRA with 4x AA.

And I am getting almost the same frames!!! mostly between 22-25 with spikes upto 45-50. WHAT THE FRAK!!!!!

Thats on QMB over Stalingrad with 16 planes... And weirdly enough it doesn't feel as jerky/laggy on ultra as it does on low... How is this happening?

I figured out that if I get 50-60% CPU usage and 60% GPU usage then the game is very playable 40-45 frames on ultra + 4xAA.

On my aging rig. 

PLEASE DEVS TELL US WHAT IS GOING ON HERE ? 

Ja man, I was running it at LOW with no AA... So I tried out what you did and put my settings on ULTRA with 4x AA.

And I am getting almost the same frames!!! mostly between 22-25 with spikes upto 45-50. WHAT THE FRAK!!!!!

Thats on QMB over Stalingrad with 16 planes... And weirdly enough it doesn't feel as jerky/laggy on ultra as it does on low... How is this happening?

I figured out that if I get 50-60% CPU usage and 60% GPU usage then the game is very playable 40-45 frames on ultra + 4xAA.

On my aging rig. 

PLEASE DEVS TELL US WHAT IS GOING ON HERE ? 

S!

This game seems to be quite CPU heavy. My CPU is bottlenecking 2xGTX 780, so my third GTX 780 is currently useless. Compared to other games (BF4), where even 3 GTX 780 are still running on 100% and therefore aren't bottlenecked by the CPU.

I always thought that any new i7 CPU could handle 2 or even 3 GPUs. This game has showed me for the first time what a CPU bottleneck looks like...ah this bliss if you know that all this graphical processing power can not be used to it's full potential. Has anyone experince with 6 core CPUs, are they getting better results?

That said the game runs fine at the moment, getting 55-60 FPS on the ground and after about 1000m I get over 80 FPS constant on High and probably also on Ultra settings.

Zettman

This game seems to be quite CPU heavy. My CPU is bottlenecking 2xGTX 780, so my third GTX 780 is currently useless. Compared to other games (BF4), where even 3 GTX 780 are still running on 100% and therefore aren't bottlenecked by the CPU.

I always thought that any new i7 CPU could handle 2 or even 3 GPUs. This game has showed me for the first time what a CPU bottleneck looks like...ah this bliss if you know that all this graphical processing power can not be used to it's full potential.

For testing I changed resolution to 1024x768 . FPS are the same as with my native 1680x1050. Any other game I double framerate with this test. It really looks like CPU bottleneck, but c'mon, 4 core cpu with high end gpu can't run 2009 game engine with more than 30 fps ?

For testing I changed resolution to 1024x768 . FPS are the same as with my native 1680x1050. Any other game I double framerate with this test. It really looks like CPU bottleneck, but c'mon, 4 core cpu with high end gpu can't run 2009 game engine with more than 30 fps ?

S!

I find that quite interesting (and a bit frustrating too). Is the game really optimized for CPU, cause most other games I own (ArmA 3, BF4) are normally bottlenecked by GPU or VRAM. Hence my CPU has no problems feeding 3 GTX 780 in BF4, why would it fail to feed only two of them on IL2 BoS? Are the calculations for DMs and FMs that heavy and isn't there a possibility to speed these things up, like using GPU supported PhysX to lower the load on the CPU and utilize some of the unused GPU processing power? Of course this would take alot time, but just asking if it is possible.

Zettman

...very weird behaviour... In MP or SP it doesn't matter whether balanced, high or ultra settings I use ingame - always almost the same fps: on the ground up to 30 fps, midair in low altitudes 30-40 fps and in in high altitudes 30-50 fps (depends from the number of other planes, ground sceneries etc.); CPU usage 50-80 % in average. And I can see no great differences in relation to the settings between balanced, high etc. (I didn't try low yet...), for me it looks always nice (ultra seems a little bit nicer). In doing so BOS is running very smoothly.

There must be something wrong?! But what...

Munin

Edit: I forgot: I dont use anything in the ingame graphic settings like vsync, fps limiter or so... and the newest nvidia driver is stock...

Edited by Munin

...very weird behaviour... In MP or SP it doesn't matter whether balanced, high or ultra settings I use ingame - always almost the same fps: on the ground up to 30 fps, midair in low altitudes 30-40 fps and in in high altitudes 30-50 fps (depends from the number of other planes, ground sceneries etc.); CPU usage 50-80 % in average. And I can see no great differences in relation to the settings between balanced, high etc. (I didn't try low yet...), for me it looks always nice (ultra seems a little bit nicer). In doing so BOS is running very smoothly.

There must be something wrong?! But what...

I seem to be having the exact same experience...

Befor the game was running super smooth.. Then a patch and Boom... Not sure if they added a whole bunch of stuff, I begged them to at least acknowledge that they will look into it, but nada feedback. At least we are not alone here... there seems to be quite a few guys with similar issues. Not sure if many pilots check out their performance with on screen tools... if fps is over 40 then they're happy... sadly, this issue has pushed me from decent performance to sketchy at best. 

I still get around 45-55% cpu and 30-40% gpu usage on low settings, no AA

Going to high settings pushes gpu usage up but not enough to get smoothly playable results... usage still not at the 80-99% level as it was before.

• Upvote 1