Sign in to follow this  
3instein

DEVS. Have they listened?

Now that the game is considered released what suggestions that have been put forward have been integrated in the final version?

We have this thread, http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/767-thread-gather-your-suggestions/ and I can see quite a lot of really good suggestions with a lot of up votes from the community but it seems a lot haven't been put into the release.

I understand that they couldn't put every suggestion we came up with into final, (obviously) but some of these I think, were really good and would have made the game so much better, some of the suggests seemed to be pretty simple I thought, (scalable map box?)

Anyway what suggestions, in your opinion, did they take on board and either say it might be put in a future version or did they put it into this release version?

Mick. :)

PS: Please don't mention unlocks. ;)

Have they listened... Not at the moment.

It was too late to make any changes this close to the release.

Will they ever get rid of unlocks and level ups?

Will they change the design of the campaign?

Will the MP players still have to play the SP campaign?

I believe it's doubtful they will change anything... hope I'm wrong though :)

Yes they have. Look at the FW 190. Look at the offline mode.

Anything that is fairly straightforward to implement, they have done. Their priority, as Jason stated, was to release the game. They've done that now. Now we can see further changes implemented, since they've got the release out of the way. 

Will they get rid of unlocks and level-ups? Not in the main game, no. They've stated that that's the idea they had and they're sticking with it.

With a few tweaks, I think it can be pretty cool. 'Had a lot of fun with it already, have you tried it?

Third-party campaigns will be done, I'm sure. 

Other than that, we will just have to wait.

• Upvote 2

Yes I've tried it!

Even though I detest the unlocks and level up system, even though the campaign is simply a series of disjointed and disconnected set of missions.

I am probably a couple of missions from completing the campaign.

Despite my views I have encouraged all to give it a go because that is what we have at the moment. I have written posts on the campaign, I have joined in discussions...

I'm an adult, not a whining kid, and I continue to fly the game, and promote it to anyone who asks me about it... but that doesn't mean I'm going to shut up about it's elements that are not doing the game any favours either.

• Upvote 5

Yes they have. They have not completely redesigned certain parts of the sim, as some of us would want, but that's understandable: it's their creation, and they had a vision for BoS and mostly stuck to it.

The sim itself is very good and in good shape for launch and important parts of this is thanks to the feedback from thousands of customers who got in early, gave their feedback, presented their own research to back up their claims and engaged in (sometimes heated) dialogues with the devs.

I was most hoping for a decent interface for radio comms.

This is one of the things they really ought to have done. It's the only part of the sim itself that feels truly rudimentary and arcadish.

• Upvote 1

S!

I wish for more graphical options. Whatever the post processing effect is, but it drives me mad as you can see it on top of all the graphics and stuff. Causes banding and colors look like 8-bit. And I am not the only one seeing it. HDR, Bloom and SSAO would go to OFF the instant I could do it.

• Upvote 3

Some things I had hoped for:

Better radio menu ( similar to IL-2 would have been great).

Campaign/career similar to ROF's, and maybe even better.( follow a pilot's/squads career)

Custom graphics options ( like ROF's and about every other sim out there).

Ability to fly SP with Custom Realism Settings.

Better in cockpit map ( similar to ROF)

Track IR support for external views

3d and multi monitor support ( for the guys that need it)

No unlocks/xp grinding ( there I said it).

• Upvote 5

Deburnette you said it perfectly. This game has potential to be fantastic, and is already better than most games at release, however the devs should make every single one of your suggested changes and the game would go from a good 7 / 10 To an outstanding 10 / 10.

It is too soon to see if they listened or not. Does anyone here remember RoF when it first came out?

• Upvote 4

Some things I had hoped for:

Better radio menu ( similar to IL-2 would have been great).

Campaign/career similar to ROF's, and maybe even better.( follow a pilot's/squads career)

Custom graphics options ( like ROF's and about every other sim out there).

Ability to fly SP with Custom Realism Settings.

Better in cockpit map ( similar to ROF)

Track IR support for external views

3d and multi monitor support ( for the guys that need it)

No unlocks/xp grinding ( there I said it).

^Pretty much this.  Custom difficulty would be possibly the very top of my list.  Force someone to play the campaign?  Let them blitz through it in the silliest way possible and maybe they won't hate it.  Let players play the game they want to play...not be forced to play X, or to use Y and Z.

These are not technological failings or impossible things to achieve, or game engine limitations, they're design decisions - mostly arbitrary.  It's this issue which concerns me to the most (and dampers my enthusiasm for my future with the title).

It is too soon to see if they listened or not. Does anyone here remember RoF when it first came out?

Yes except that they are not starting from scratch. The ROF engine was the base of design for BOS...it's not the same situation.

^Pretty much this.  Custom difficulty would be possibly the very top of my list.  Force someone to play the campaign?  Let them blitz through it in the silliest way possible and maybe they won't hate it.  Let players play the game they want to play...not be forced to play X, or to use Y and Z.

These are not technological failings or impossible things to achieve, or game engine limitations, they're design decisions - mostly arbitrary.  It's this issue which concerns me to the most (and dampers my enthusiasm for my future with the title).

Exactly, seems the hard core simmers were not the target primary audience...oh well.

Edited by I./JG53_BlackJaguar

Well I like ROF so I was expecting something like that in WW2 setting, so I supported BOS since day one. I thought, what could possibly go wrong???!!! (Yeah right!):

1) I was looking for campaign design like in ROF career mode (obviously shorter), that didn't happen. Why do I need to fly first few missions on Russian side first ? Is this is a sim or a game ?

2) Game unlocks stuff, seriously guys ?

3) No custom settings for campaign, seriously guys ?

4) FM for me is really questionable and I'm not happy with the way 109 flies (I don't fly other planes so I can't comment on them). Which seems very nervous and unstable. The 109 F/G were stable platforms, in BOS the 109 isn't. The plane FM handles the same with engine on or off...makes no sense to me.

I was hoping that BOS would be a true flight sim and that's clearly not the case, it's half way between true sim like say DCS and on the other side World of Planes. I'm gonna wait for a few months and see if things improve otherwise...time to move to DCS permanently. I supported this SIM purely based on my experience with ROF and I have to say between ROF and BOS; the ROF is the better overall for me. Right now with the current focus and direction of the game, I'm really disappointed....not what I was looking for.

PS: Sorry had to delete the original post as I couldn't edit it anymore...

Edited by I./JG53_BlackJaguar
  • Upvote 1

Is there even a radio menu at all? I've tried to find one...

I think the devs have sometimes listened and sometimes they've been so hard nosed that they have potentially scared people off. Undeniably they have been on the pulse of things through Dev updates and the reflections we see there. The product is now final but usually in the normal world that means there is still development to do. Now that the plan has reached fruition... one would hope that some of the "extras" and other items are reconsidered.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive

So pissed about not getting the x-wing... BS

Keep grinding, you will get it. It's the Gulag way! :rolleyes:

S!Blade<><

Yes, it's early days... I'm sure things will get better and all gripes will eventually be eradicated. (except FM's.)... For the 'experten' out there it's a never ending quest for the Holy Grail lol!

Put it this way, if they don't address these issues, that will surely affect future sales. If they steadfastly stick to the 'gulag' design system I don't think it bodes well.

RoF's release has been mentioned as a comparison... but it's a non issue.

The two design teams have come from two extremely successful flight sim games, and they surely understood what makes for a successful combat sim by now.

The fact that we now have a gorgeous looking game, with an excellent feeling of flight, but without a true soul or feeling to draw the player into actually 'being there' is something I can't understand.

Still, let's not forget that the dev's have said they are going to look at improving things once the game has been successfully released, so we do have things to look forward to! :)

In reading between the lines, the devs already had a well defined development plan well before early access.  Neither hell nor high water was going to derail them from that plan.  This is not a bad thing.  Many projects have had financial meltdowns because of going off on too many tangents, no matter how well intentioned.

The comments/suggestions/accuracy input of items that were encompassed within that pre-existing plan, I believe received attention.  FM details is a good example.  I think they want the most accurate possible FMs and once presented with historical info they have responded.  Is everyone happy?  Not going to happen.

Other comments or recommendations that would be great to have were outside of the plan.  The sp campaign was one of these.  They seemed to really like Feathered_IV's ideas, for example.  I believe these ideas have been taken note of.  Maybe they'll be added in, maybe not.

We judge the product from what we experience and what we are told.  I think there is much more going on behind closed doors already in the works we are not privy to.  I'm sure there is already a laundry list of changes/additions/fixes that is on their schedule.

One can ask why would they released it without this or that?  There are only so many resources and time.  Now that it has been released, and hopefully an income stream on the way, it will be interesting to see where things go and what's behind door number 3.

Edited by VR-Stick
  • Upvote 3

RoF is still rife with problems... Especially in flight and (surprise) damage modeling.

Only survived through having such talented 3rd Party developers of content.

Have they listened...? alot more than any dev team of any game i own that's for sure

• Upvote 3

I think they listened to the extent the achieved unlocks were not wiped prior to official release, as was originally intended.

I think they've listen a lot more than some of the posters here have. Given role reversal, considering how entrenched some of you are in your limited views of the sim, I doubt you'd be any different. This sim isn't everything everyone wanted. How many things in life are? But it offers a lot. I'm still seeing new things nearly every time I fly. Tonight for the hell of it, I crash landed along the riverbanks outside of Stalingrad to see it my plane would slide down to the frozen river. Sure enough, it slowly did. Instead of continuing to complain what it isn't, fly what it is. If it is so unenjoyable to play this sim, for God's sake find something else to do with your time.

• Upvote 3

Why do I need to fly first few missions on Russian side first ? Is this is a sim or a game ?

They're just training missions. Relax. 

Boy Im glad I didnt buy this game. I dont have all that time to fly around offline for unlocks. Maybe the retired ones and the ones on welfare do.

Once again a WW2 flight sim finds a way to chase away people new to the genre. Congrats.

• Upvote 1

Maybe the retired ones and the ones on welfare do.

You really registered just to make comments like that?  :mellow:

I must say it is hard to understand some of the decisions made by the devs, locking down the graphics, some of the support issues and the crazy idea to have to grind for xp in SP to unlock things in MP, things were going along very well then it seems someone just said screw this lets alienate half our potential buyers and do what we want not what makes a good sim.

Nearly every issue and complaint has been added as a "feature" somewhere half way through early access so they seem to have actually worked towards annoying customers, are they hoping to actually make money as the best way is to keep customers happy, and this they havent really achieved.

I was most hoping for a decent interface for radio comms.

I was hoping for a pony!

I think they've listen a lot more than some of the posters here have. Given role reversal, considering how entrenched some of you are in your limited views of the sim, I doubt you'd be any different. This sim isn't everything everyone wanted. How many things in life are? But it offers a lot. I'm still seeing new things nearly every time I fly. Tonight for the hell of it, I crash landed along the riverbanks outside of Stalingrad to see it my plane would slide down to the frozen river. Sure enough, it slowly did. Instead of continuing to complain what it isn't, fly what it is. If it is so unenjoyable to play this sim, for God's sake find something else to do with your time.

But then what would the trollers have to do other than troll?

• Upvote 1

Boy Im glad I didnt buy this game. I dont have all that time to fly around offline for unlocks. Maybe the retired ones and the ones on welfare do.

Once again a WW2 flight sim finds a way to chase away people new to the genre. Congrats.

Your Loss. They aint that bad at all, in fact I quite enjoy them.

Edited by pilotpierre