TX-Zigrat

Graphic Options poll

Graphic Presets  

518 members have voted

1. 1. Which method of graphic options do you prefer

• Presets only (current BOS paradigm)
    • Customization (similar to ROF) with option for presets if desired

I appreciate Jason making a poll for the unlock topic so we can see where the community really stands. I am interested to find out how people feel about  graphic options as well to help the devs make sure they understand the preferences of their customers.

Edited by TX-Zigrat
  • Upvote 3

There's really no decent excuse to not have customizable visual settings, at all.

If you look at it as a beta test, it's much easier for them to handle bug reports without having to check dozens of user settings of the player. Now it's just "I get a crash if I do this, I run it on High. period".

However, when the game is released I would also like to have full control. That being said, perhaps they could keep the presets, and we could optionally mess with advanced settings.

• Upvote 3

I'm skeptical about custom graphics because for an example look at War Thunder... people manipulate the graphics so they can see through the clouds, etc, etc.

Edited by Silky
  • Upvote 2

I'm skeptical about custom graphics because for an example look at War Thunder... people manipulate the graphics so they can see through the clouds, etc, etc.

War Thunder is developed by incompetent individuals. You can force features such as clouds on. There's still no real excuse why there can't be customizable settings in a finished game, full stop.

• Upvote 4

and i don't remind thos option where a problem in rof...

3 preset... well we're not playing on console, we're playing on pc.

Well, maybe not yet :biggrin:

Coupling this with the lack of multi-monitor support frankly makes it look like the team is completely inept in the graphics department and is just out to make it as easy for themselves as possible. Bleh.

• Upvote 2

There's really no decent excuse to not have customizable visual settings, at all.

agree

Salute from Soviet Russia!

Today one of our pilots () find the way to use custom settings for graphics.

For that download this archive and extract files to ../IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data directory.

After that drag and drop file Scripts.cfg on unGTP.exe, wait few seconds and go to new folder ../IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\(null)\luascripts

Open gpresets.cfg with notepad.exe and change options (i hope you know how). Save changes and copy this file to ../IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\LuaScripts

Enjoy...

Excuse my english, please. 

Oh... I'm forgot. Probably tomorrow devs close this backdoor :-(

They said so.

• Upvote 8

My game looks again clear and crisp on ultra without those hdrbloomssao as it was last year in november!Spasiba comrade,only if it will last till tomorrow,I will remember this one bright day (ehm night) for the time being :salute: And there is no shimmering against clouds! :thank_you::joy::yahoo:

Edited by Brano

This works since the introduction of the presets. Wouldn't surprise me one bit that they plan to restrict this too, instead of just adding the custom graphic option.

I don`t know why there are some "presets" even if the game was released, looks like something like: The player are not very clever, let`s give them all ready 

That's War Thunder in "all it's meaning", lol, because the server probably doesn't force the clients to have the same graphics settings it does, so "cheating" in this manner is possible!

Now I might change the subject a bit and talk about some non-existent benefits from lowering the graphics in other flight sims like Rise of Flight or DCS where you can't seem to get any advantage from playing with the graphics options until you can see things/objects better and hopefully in BoS too, with things like: lowering the resolution will help you see bigger, much more visible dots for distant targets, but perhaps will make the dot vanish at a much lower distance than using higher resolution..., so this old trick with lowering the resolution might've found it's end!

Seems like they don't plan to change it... :(

Yeah, but "yet" he said..., so as "REFLECTED" suggested in the beginning, the presets might remain until the game is finished or maybe after the possible bug issues that are avoided this way, might no longer be a problem.

Edited by MaverickF22

S!

Found this thread too late :( And agree about WT. Do not compare anything to that pile of steaming manure. Nothing. BoS would benefit from more options, not suffer. And if the cloud shimmering etc. went away, as Brano said, then the presets are really poorly done. Having more gimmicks does not mean better graphics.

Edited by LLv34_Flanker

S!

Found this thread too late :( And agree about WT. Do not compare anything to that pile of steaming manure. Nothing. BoS would benefit from more options, not suffer. And if the cloud shimmering etc. went away, as Brano said, then the presets are really poorly done. Having more gimmicks does not mean better graphics.

There seriously isn't a good excuse for presets, at all, in a finished product. At all. Why'd they even do this?

S!

No idea, but their basic arguments seemed to be "flooded customer care" because users are not capable of understanding what they are doing and the other something like "giving an edge in MP by manipulating settings". 2 very big WTF moments to me. Want to reduce the workload of customer care? 1.) Hire more of them, that know what they are doing. 2.) Do PROPER DOCUMENTATION explaining things in a way, that even the most drool dribbling idiot can understand it. 3.) Do a 2D game, problem solved.

Manipulating settings? Eh? Most of the stuff is set and dictated by the server, like clouds, weather and stuff. Now even with presets some basically gain more with LOW as they do not have so many post processing doodahs running thus better IQ than the smeary ULTRA. Actually Low/High and Ultra have the same drawing distance as Requiem's post showed. Was it Balanced that had lowest of them all. To put it bluntly: The most competitive(Professional leagues with a lot of money involved!) FPS/RTS and MMO's out there have fully customisable graphics options. It is player skill that matters, not adjusting some setting.

I find the lack of tweaking my own graphics the main reason why I am very reluctant to play BoS at all. I can't stand those doodahs spoiling the otherwise excellent experience. MEH!

Edited by LLv34_Flanker

95% for customization. I thinks that we are stuck with the presets. Just saying  :clapping:  

Edited by 71st_AH_dB

I understand that this is a small team and that allowing for graphic customization can become a nuisance for them, but isn't that what's so great about the community? I know we bare our teeth concerning our likes and dislikes regarding BoS, but as a community we still rally around each other to help when we can.

Even the most bitter and frustrated person that has had issues with IL2's graphic and INI file has had help from the community. Tons of topics have been created by the community to explain the options and how to get the best from the games graphic engine.

I can only imagine the reason being is for testing and assuring a standard of visual quality for every one. I'd personally dump "ssau" but other than that I'm pretty satisfied with the settings as they are now. Would I love to have the same type options as in RoF? YUP. I imagined that's what we were going to get from the outset and the finalization of the launcher. BUT we didn't. sigh.

Edited by Robert

They wrote that it will stay like this, so it's certainly not for testing. As for making things easier for the customer etc., adding the presets would be enough for that, no need to force the presets. Just look at RoF, only custom graphics, no presets. Worked fine for five years. Custom graphis in addition to presets was avaliable in the original Il-2, also worked for more than a decade. Warthunder also has custom options.

Seems like some people are worried about the possibility to use custom graphics for exploits. If so, i would really like to know one of the custom graphics settings which would help anyone if it would be possible to switch it off (or on). Of course only counting those features which are not affected by different presets anyway.

In fact what is causing problems of visual appearance and also some fps dropdown are all those postprocesing thingies.HDR,BLOOM,SSAO etc.I turned them off.I do not want them,I do not need them.I want my screen clear as freezing wind over Stalingrad.I put ''=false'' to all of that in cfg file with much pleasure.

For those affraid that it will help me to see better....No it will not.Contacts are same as before.This is not old sturm with its black dots.This is how we had it year ago when we were first to fly.I have mediocre 20'' monitor with standard 1920*1080 resolution.Some of you have maybe twice that large screen.So how it comes to equality?Are you gona force/allow all people to buy and play only on one type of monitor? Do all of those different graphic cards we all have in our PCs deal equaly with postprocessing effects? When customers feel that their needs are not catered by devs,they will come down for hacks and mods.Like it happened in old sturm.Do we want to drop into hack'n'mod level?

:salute:

Didn't fire up game today,so most probably not anymore.As it was anounced that they are about to remove it.Have to try it out.

• Upvote 1

S!

:( I was late..Did you get any screenies or videos? How much did it improve the image when all of them were off? Curious to know :)

Unfortunately not.But it was clear,bright,without strange blurs under clouds when there was sunset,planes where not shimmering against clouds...Overall cold winter brute feeling as it should be.With all that postprocessing it is too much sweet and yellowish and blury....and this is particulary annoying :(

posteffects_zps00425ba0.jpg

S!

That blur against clouds yes..huh! Well, let's hope there would be a change so people could tweak their settings. I recall also when the game was still early access, and devs even pointed out where this option was, that without post processing image was razor sharp. Even they have tweaked them it is still too prominent. On/Off would do and as it seems does NOT break anything or give "unfair" advantage..except a happier pilot! :)

Exactly.Now the closest feeling is when you set your presets at low.It seems not having SSAO (at least cfg says 0 samples) but stil some postprocessing turned on BUT you have half of drawing distance,no paralax textures with worse filtering and worst quality of shadows,forests,landscape,clouds,objects distance etc. :o:

This is getting really annoying. Why are they so heck bent on not letting us enjoy the game the way we want to? I know there are a ton of flags in nVidia registry, anyone know where we could go ask if there's something helpful there? I wonder what Kegetys is doing nowadays, he seems to know everything about everything anyway...

S!

Haven't heard of Kegetys in a while. Propably coding away as before. All devs need to do is to set On/Off to those post processing things and all is good. Use what you like and that's it.

Man I would have loved to have seen some screenshots of what Ultra would look like without the post processing :(

BTW what is the lowest preset that has the furthest possible viewing distance? I think that's quite important for multiplayer.