Sign in to follow this  
Parisek

Graphical improvements

Hello pilots,

Try to change this item gamma = 1.00000 to gamma = 0.60000 in the file startup.cfg in the folder 1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data. The resulting

image is darker with effects as of SweetFX . 

• Upvote 7

Oh interesting. I had the gamma down to .8 in-game, I didn't know you could set it lower.

But oddly enough it goes .

Edited by ParisekParisek

Bloody hell it looks ten times better now thanks for that little tip it really brings out the detail of the ground and cockpits  :good:

For my taste the 0.60000 is just a bit too much. 0.70000 might do the trick. Still, looks really awesome.

For my taste the 0.60000 is just a bit too much. 0.70000 might do the trick. Still, looks really awesome.

Agreed. The instruments are still a bit dark when in the shadows at 0.7 but it really helps visibility. A great find indeed. I thought they might have limited gamma to 0.8 in the engine, so I never even thought of doing it in the config:)

I'd be careful with gamma being set low. It brings out details in the snow because it is darkening a very reflective (in real life) surface. But, it'll have negative impacts in low light so dawn/dusk are going to be adversly impacted.

And you can set gamma in the graphics options but .8 is the minimum there.

Personal preference of course, but you are hurting yourself in low light situations.

Edited by FuriousMeow

I set mine at .85 as there was too much contrast between close up ground objects and those in the distance at .60. Still it's a great tweak. 

Nice find

Anyone kind enough to post a few pics ? Maybe even indicating your current gamma correction ;)

Red

thank you for your sharing. I have set to ​​0.7. excellent

Edited by A-E-Hartmann

0.6 is too much, 0.7 - 0.8 is better. However you can set 0.8 by the gamma setting via BoS (rise it to minimum).

Thanks guys , will depend on each of you what settings you prefer.  I personally like 0.6, another 0.7 or 0.8 ...

;)

Edited by Parisek

Everything below 0.8 is too dark....Like I said earlier we desperately need custom video options and full customizable startup ini. This would help both with optimisation (performance) and look of our sim.

Edited by dragon76

In any case, it was i nice find Parisek. More options is always a good thing. :)

• Upvote 1

If you are on nvidia 3d vision making gamma much more less than 1 is not good, because 3d vision by default is making darker image. I found that 0.9 is fine with monitors with lightboost technology.

I tried it out and it gave the game an ugly metallic look, maybe it's my setup, not sure but thanks for the recommendation anyway, glad it's working for some.

This number will, of course, depend on how your monitor is calibrated.

:)

Amen.  One without the other is meaningless.

0,6 0,7 looks awesome and realistic.

Midnight , cloudy night , flying low, you do not see anything exept when crossing holes between clouds.

So : awesome in SP ... Avoid too much dark in. Mp as some people will use the brigtest setting to see like in miday for night flight.