FZG_Merlin

FPS and general performances ?

Well here's the thing - its not exactly the same engine. It is the same base engine, but it is modified. A lot of engines out there are modified and added to for the next title. Actually many engines today are just the next level of a previous game engine. Some are modified slightly, some are modified a lot which can lead to a totally new name of the engine but still have a lot of the same core features. Half-Life 1, for example, uses GoldSrc engine which is actually a heavily modified Quake engine. It increased the requirements as well, even though it is the same engine it is modified so it requires more out of the system. The same here, the graphics have been modified quite a bit and I recall reading that they advanced the FM calculations above what were used in RoF. Don't take that as they made it much more advanced, but I recall reading somewhere that the calculations were made slightly more complex. I could be totally wrong, but that is what I recall reading - but that was also just the FM part only. The Digital Nature engine graphics module was definitely modified.

As far as MP, there were a few issues with some having MP performance issues. There are also some currently having performance issues at low level vs at altitude, although I don't know exactly how many, if any, aircraft they have and if it is MP or SP.

Now as far as the heart of the matter - performance for you. Of course a new CPU will help you, it will help a lot more for SP than MP - but it will still help a lot in MP. If MP is your sole interest, its mine - I'm only doing SP to get the "unlocks/field mods" and when there is no one on Syn server - then I will certainly agree that upgrading your 660Ti to a 970 is the first step you want. However - another item to keep in mind - the 970 is PCIe 3.0 while the i7 920 you have supports PCI 2.0. You will certainly get a significant boost in graphics performance in SP with a single plane on a map by upgrading to the 970. More planes in the air in SP, is when the CPU will come into play. But, also - PCIe 2.0 vs PCI 3.0 gives a lot more data bandwidth so certain things will become faster such as memory transfer from system RAM to your VRAM but for the most part it won't be an appreciable increase. Certain things like the initial load when looking around will improve a lot when upgrading your CPU/Mobo to support PCIe 3.0 after you have the 970.

So yes, you want the 970 first as MP is your key focus. MP will mostly be less CPU intensive than SP as more AI units are added in SP. The obvious reason, your local system is doing all the AI calculations in SP which you know. In a dedicated server environment - all that AI and associated DM/FM/everything related - is done by the dserver while your system, as the client, just calculates your FM and the resultant effects from any damage your are given from ground or air. You know this, I'm just putting it in there for others to read.

TL;DR: The 970 to replace your 660TI is definitely the way to go - the difference is going to be marginal with the PCIe 3.0 vs PCIe 2.0. It will be better with PCIe3.0 but not above ~5% better (most likely less) for BoS or most any other game out there. The CPU upgrade, however, will be upwards of 35% more improvement performance wise in SP and a good 20% in MP. So you are going about it properly, GPU first then the CPU when you can afford it and perhaps wait for the next line. While the Haswell is an awesome upgrade for your CPU - should be very close to the Broadwell line in the next 6 months and the GPU you are getting should extend the life of your CPU for MP at least that long so I'd recommend waiting to see what the Broadwell drops.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Thank you. Your answer is simmilar to my thoughts. Just needed a "second opinion".

BTW, regardless of my rig, it seams that there is definitely something wrong with MP perfromance in latest patches since even on my rig it was much smoother on servers with many planes BEFORE the latest patches, including the one where they said mp issue is fixed. There are some ppl on the forum (including one of my friends) who has newest i5 and i7 machines and gtx 770 and 780 and still has performance issues in the MP. SP is fine. Im also ok in SP even with more planes and ground units so it must be something with the MP code or whatever. ROF and BOS engines cant be so much different and in ROF I can play with 60 ppl on the server and with al the AI and high settings no probs..

+1 

Although the new patch fixed the slow motion issue, the MP performance is still by far not as good as it was before.

One of the stuff they could do is to bring back custom video options so ppl can fine tune the performance/looks....But they said they wont so I think some of us will be forced to chill out from BOS for some time...

• Upvote 1

S!

Leaving out advanced graphics options was propably one of the most stupid decisions devs ever made. I so wish I could turn off all that post processing crap eating my FPS and worsening the image quality, especially seen in low light conditions on clouds and sky with all that banding and whatnot.

• Upvote 4

I have I72600K@4GHz and GTX 770 4 GB and this game is unplayable on Syndicate Server in 1900*1200.

Doesnt matter if I try low or high preset,  nvidia settings also doesnt matter. - when the furbal starts I go down from 60 to 20 fps. GPU usuage 50% cpu usuage around 10%  when the game is smooth - once the furbal starts not sure but I guess not more than 50% CPU usage because highest temp I saw was 49 deg C. (air cooled) Go figure :) ah I Run Win 7 64bit and 16 GB RAM. 

I agree, something definitely got broken in the last patch. Some of us think it might be the new loading screen restricting gpus to 2D performance settings (this happened in rof when they introduced them). Things were much better previously.

S!

Leaving out advanced graphics options was propably one of the most stupid decisions devs ever made. I so wish I could turn off all that post processing crap eating my FPS and worsening the image quality, especially seen in low light conditions on clouds and sky with all that banding and whatnot.

A million times this. For the love of Jebus devs at least give us the option to turn off that horrific looking SSAO. I'm honestly at the point where I won't be buying any future modules / expansions unless this is changed. 

Is fps drop in big mp dogfights normal on high and ultra with the specs in my Sig?

Hey folks!

I'd like to know what kind of performance i can expect with my system? Is there a special driver version for NVidia cards which works best with BOS from your experience? I am still using a pretty old driver due to ROF.

thanks in advance!

S!

Get a better GPU and your system would chew BoS for breakfast. It is holding you back at the moment as rest of the system is good. There are no negative comments on latest nVidia drivers with BoS and I believe they even had a BoS profile as well included.

Thanks for your answer Flanker! I've just upgraded my system with a new mobo and CPU. My Intension was to get a new GFX next year.  I guess the performance of BOS is more focused on the CPU than GPU, as with most flight sims? I am going to get a 7xx or 8xx GFX Card, which should be fast enough? 

best

Edited by John_Banks

Thanks for your answer Flanker! I've just upgraded my system with a new mobo and CPU. My Intension was to get a new GFX next year.  I guess the performance of BOS is more focused on the CPU than GPU, as with most flight sims? I am going to get a 7xx or 8xx GFX Card, which should be fast enough? 

best

Hi John you got a good rig there except for GPU. Have a look at these.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-and-980-reference-review,1.html

Your Machine will handle all sims up to 2k Res with either.

~S~

i7 3770 3.4Ghz

GTX780 Lightning

32GB RAM

Win8.1

Get lots of frame drop on Multiplayer especially during dogfight

S!

There are really only 2 options at the moment for GPU, either the nVidia GTX970 or GTX980. The 970 offers best bang for the buck at the moment and does not really justify the higher price tag on the 980.

2x 290x GPUs @ 2560x1440/ 100Hz. The game still looks like poop with High or Ultra settings, a stuttering mess for me. I was playing on a MP server with a 32ms ping for a few missions and the longer I played the worse the game performed, memory leak anyone? Maybe its the AMD drivers that suck without legacy DX9.0c support anymore?

Edited by Static

" Maybe its the AMD drivers that suck without legacy DX9.0c support anymore"

I fear that is the root of the problem

Cheers Dakpilot

S!

I ran Crossfire briefly, 2 x 290X and it was OK. But I still prefer a powerful single-GPU over SLI or CrossFire.

I've just installed my new ASUS STRIXS-GTX970 and the game runs as smooth as hot butter. It's really amazing, how much faster that beast is compared to the GTX570. At last i can play on Ultra Settings plus some extras via the cfg mod, which still works.