FZG_Merlin

FPS and general performances ?

My PC is soon to be replaced, and I understand I am a low end machine right now, but I am having trouble getting more than 45-50 fps in the Syndicate server these days.. in QMB alone, i reach around 65...

Can we hope the game to be optimized in term of performances before the release ?

I say that, because as everyone i bought Clod when it came out, and my FPS there were totally awful. Today, just for the thrill, I reinstalled it and patched it, and I reach around 130-160 FPS !!! all maxed out with more than 25 planes in the sky around me.

Do i have bad settings in my il2 BOS ? thing is, they didnt leave much to play with.. Balanced, or Ultra, I have exactly the same FPS or nearly...

Is it that my GC is too good and that my 3ghz CPU is holding out ? is BOS CPU dependant ?

Anyway, I hope we can improve this a little. I would say that you need at least 60-70 to be efficient in multiplayer. (head ons and snap shots especially)

The title is already highly optimized, it is getting everything out of your system it can. Your CPU upgrade will help a lot. I had an i7 870 (@4.5GHz) with RoF, and upgraded to the i7 4770k(@4.4GHz delidded), which made a huge difference in RoF. I had a 580GTX at the time, and the CPU made the biggest difference when adding lots of planes to the QMB because there are a lot of calculations for the FM going on which are all CPU.

Many mistake CPU utilization at 100% being an example of great usage, it is actually the opposite. You never want CPU utilization to be that high, that is evidence of poor coding/poor optimization/just a turd in general.

Edited by FuriousMeow

My PC is soon to be replaced, and I understand I am a low end machine right now, but I am having trouble getting more than 45-50 fps in the Syndicate server these days.. in QMB alone, i reach around 65...

Can we hope the game to be optimized in term of performances before the release ?

I say that, because as everyone i bought Clod when it came out, and my FPS there were totally awful. Today, just for the thrill, I reinstalled it and patched it, and I reach around 130-160 FPS !!! all maxed out with more than 25 planes in the sky around me.

Do i have bad settings in my il2 BOS ? thing is, they didnt leave much to play with.. Balanced, or Ultra, I have exactly the same FPS or nearly...

Is it that my GC is too good and that my 3ghz CPU is holding out ? is BOS CPU dependant ?

Anyway, I hope we can improve this a little. I would say that you need at least 60-70 to be efficient in multiplayer. (head ons and snap shots especially)

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-950-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K/617vs2384

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Blah.. the only thing slowing me down is that I dont want to reinstall everything on my PC...

if I could just swap the CPU i would have done it already.. but a new CPU = new MoBo...  that means reinstalling windows etc on a new hardrive.

blah, must resist

S!

Actually does not require that. IF you are using an Intel based solution now then all you need to do is to uninstall all drivers BEFORE swapping the motherboard and CPU. That way Windows loads default drivers and does not go tits up. At least that has worked for me.

Oh bugger, must resist.

I am going to save you the trouble of Christmas shopping this year . buy everyone you know a copy of BoS and this to play it on....of course there wont be much room left under the tree..... :biggrin:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8bbbyc

S!

Actually does not require that. IF you are using an Intel based solution now then all you need to do is to uninstall all drivers BEFORE swapping the motherboard and CPU. That way Windows loads default drivers and does not go tits up. At least that has worked for me.

all drivers....? which drivers are we talking about ? there are tons of them installed I suppose...

I am going to save you the trouble of Christmas shopping this year . buy everyone you know a copy of BoS and this to play it on....of course there wont be much room left under the tree..... :biggrin:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8bbbyc

Thanks :) just would need a mobo, CPU and memory though, everything else is good :salute: but hard to justify as my triple screen sim racing rig is an i5 haswell at 4.6ghz and a GTX780ti, but this 920 has done very well, bought in April 2009 and solid at 4ghz since then. But 500 UKP to upgrade, hmmm, might want a Gsync monitor first :biggrin:

S!

Chipset(including USB and SATA drivers), ethernet, graphics and onboard sound at least.

Doable..

Now.... For only 300-400$ more you get a whole new PC..... Mmmmmm, must think about it...

Thanks :) just would need a mobo, CPU and memory though, everything else is good :salute: but hard to justify as my triple screen sim racing rig is an i5 haswell at 4.6ghz and a GTX780ti, but this 920 has done very well, bought in April 2009 and solid at 4ghz since then. But 500 UKP to upgrade, hmmm, might want a Gsync monitor first :biggrin:

How well do you run BoS with your 920 ?

I can't overclock my 950 effciently.... Are fps good enough at 4ghz ? How much average fps do you get in the syndicate server ?

Well, i haven't played on the Syndicate server, also my screen is 2560x1600 so my fps is affected by that, but balanced setting and it sticks at 60fps (Vsync) initial on ground my dip to low 50's, but I haven't really been in the thick of it yet. SYN Jedders runs the same config I think at 1080 and he is happy enough on balanced settings.

Edited by SYN_Blackrat

Get a nice Z97MOBO + i7 4970 + GTX 780 and above. You can count on 100+ FPS high and 50+ at ground level on Ultra settings.

My 970 4G is already better than a 780.

I did a test.

I set my game to high, and put the fps limiter to 50 and I finally get a smooth game that almost never drops below 50 even at ground level...

Of I put the limiter to 80, I get nice 60-70 fps at altitude, but when I go at ground level, I sometimes get as low as 30...

Also. The syndicate server hits my machine harder than anything else. On the QMB I almost double my fps.

Try setting Vsync on in Nvidia control panel, pre rendered frames to 1 and leave the fps limiter off, set to balanced, that should reduce controller lag and give no tearing.

My 970 4G is already better than a 780.

I did a test.

I set my game to high, and put the fps limiter to 50 and I finally get a smooth game that almost never drops below 50 even at ground level...

Of I put the limiter to 80, I get nice 60-70 fps at altitude, but when I go at ground level, I sometimes get as low as 30...

Also. The syndicate server hits my machine harder than anything else. On the QMB I almost double my fps.

does this happen when there is alot of action going on? I am currently running at 45-80 FPS @1080 on ultra.

Edited by T-oddball

It happens most of the time.

But you have a 4.3ghz CPU... This might explain that

Try setting Vsync on in Nvidia control panel, pre rendered frames to 1 and leave the fps limiter off, set to balanced, that should reduce controller lag and give no tearing.

Thanks dude. This helped me alot because for some reason with nvidia's Vsync my TiR movement is considerably smoother on syndicate (even with 45 players online) than with ingame vsync. Have the same CPU like you (3.7 Ghz on stock voltage). DN engine is more GPU consuming than CPU and I think with i7 at 3.6Ghz and up, your ok if you have a decent card. I have 660Ti but Ill be gettin 770 OC edition soon (prices still higher in my country) and next week Ill be getting SSD disk since it helps alot with "smooth gameplay" (fps alone isnt enough-telling parameter) in sims since we are using TiR and there are a lot of textures loading (same applies for CLOD, BOS, ROF, ARMA3 etc).

If the budget isnt big thers no need to buy 970 since its on pair with 780 which is just 15-20% faster than 770 OC which is much cheaper now (at least on western market)..ofcourse it is if we compare 770 2GB with 970 4GB but since most pppl have one monitor with max 1080p 2GB should be enough...Better bargain would be 960 (when it comes out) and amd 290 (if your into ati stuff)...

Edited by dragon76

Immel, I've got my i7 running at 3.8ghz with an aftermarket cooler.  I agree with dragon; get it over 3.6ghz and it makes an appreciable difference in game.

Immel, I've got my i7 running at 3.8ghz with an aftermarket cooler.  I agree with dragon; get it over 3.6ghz and it makes an appreciable difference in game.

Which GPU you have and what resolution and which video preset your using?

Edited by dragon76

S!

The 4790K seems to be a nice performer. Runs at 4.0GHz and 4.4GHz under boost. OC capability propably very good with a better cooler. I have not ran into throttling on the stock cooler yet and TDP is less than 100W.

Which GPU you have and what resolution and which video preset your using?

I'm using a 6600ti 3gb with the ultra preset and I use SweetFX which means I'm not running anti-aliasing in game.  Running at 1680 x 1050 which is the max my 22" screen supports.  FPS  maximum set at 60.

Works for me. :salute:  

I'm using a 6600ti 3gb with the ultra preset and I use SweetFX which means I'm not running anti-aliasing in game.  Running at 1680 x 1050 which is the max my 22" screen supports.  FPS  maximum set at 60.

Works for me. :salute:  

Old card but your resolution is pretty hardware friendly so thats why your ok :-)

Im at 1920x1200

Edited by dragon76

DN engine is more GPU consuming than CPU and I think with i7 at 3.6Ghz and up, your ok if you have a decent card.

That is not true. It is very CPU intensive, and as I already said I went from an i7 870 to an i7 4770k with RoF and the performance increased significantly despite the i7 4770k being at 4.4GHz and the i7 870 being at 4.5GHz. One of the reasons is because of how many instructions per clock the 4770k can do over the 870. Clock rate is not the only determining factor for CPU performance.

And your SSD is only going to help with load times, not in game performance. This game isn't pulling data off the drive while the mission is running, everything for that mission is preloaded into memory during the mission load phase as long as you have more than 4GB of RAM. The SSD will only help with load times, which is nice, but it isn't going to help with in game performance.

Edited by FuriousMeow

That is not true. It is very CPU intensive, and as I already said I went from an i7 870 to an i7 4770k with RoF and the performance increased significantly despite the i7 4770k being at 4.4GHz and the i7 870 being at 4.5GHz. One of the reasons is because of how many instructions per clock the 4770k can do over the 870. Clock rate is not the only determining factor for CPU performance.

And your SSD is only going to help with load times, not in game performance. This game isn't pulling data off the drive while the mission is running, everything for that mission is preloaded into memory during the mission load phase as long as you have more than 4GB of RAM. The SSD will only help with load times, which is nice, but it isn't going to help with in game performance.

In games its all about clocks and cores. 4 cores and at least 3.6 Ghz and this game is smooth. With decent card. Tried on 3 machines. Also, the bigger the res the GPU is more important. It isnt 2001 and wer not playin at 800x600. SSD brought me definitely smoothness. Im not talking about FPS as fps alone isnt the only factor or the factor which guaranties good performance and smooth gameplay. BOS, and specially ARMA3 and CLOD uses alot of textures loading DURING GAME. With SSD any microstutter is gone (notice, Im not talking about lag) and TiR movement is more smooth as with looking around textures are loading faster.

Edited by dragon76

No, its not about clocks and cores unless you are below the minimum - which 4 cores is for this title. A 4th Gen i7 will outperform a 1st Gen i7 at lower clocks - but an i5 will run this and any other game just as well. Only physical cores matter - not virtual. HT/virtual cores don't do anything for games. Overclocking a 1st Gen Intel processor will extend it's life, but it will still perform worse than the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Gen Intels as each new generation increases the number of Instructions Per Clock.

I have 4 SSDs. I moved RoF off a platter based to a SSD, there was no microstutter with the platter based and there was no microstutter improvement, because there couldn't be, with the SSD.

ArmAIII also doesn't load textures mid-game. I have it, everything is pre-loaded into memory. There isn't mid-game loading of textures.

Edited by FuriousMeow

What I wanted to say...1st gen i7...let say i7920 overclocked to let say 3.7 Ghz would be enough for this sim paired with let say gtx 670 or above...that is on 1080p and high preset

thers no need to throw your money unless you want to be future proof

Edited by dragon76

Yes, that is very accurate. I'd say you could even put a i7 920 up to 4.3 to 4.5GHz using an aftermarket air cooling solution such as the Noctua NH-D14 (it's what I have, worked for the i7 870 and with my new 4770k so it works across all i series processors, but has been replaced by the NH-D15 so it should be fairly cheap if the D-14 can be found). EDIT: "fairly" for such a high end component is $80 which is what its going for on Newegg. But apparently the D-15 is only $10 more, so it may be worth just stepping up for that - for extreme 4GHz+ overclocks of course.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Im at 1920x1200

I'm hoping to join you at 1920 x 1200 this Christmas! :cool:

Yes, that is very accurate. I'd say you could even put a i7 920 up to 4.3 to 4.5GHz using an aftermarket air cooling solution such as the Noctua NH-D14 (it's what I have, worked for the i7 870 and with my new 4770k so it works across all i series processors, but has been replaced by the NH-D15 so it should be fairly cheap if the D-14 can be found). EDIT: "fairly" for such a high end component is $80 which is what its going for on Newegg. But apparently the D-15 is only $10 more, so it may be worth just stepping up for that - for extreme 4GHz+ overclocks of course.

My 720 is CO stepping so it wont go over 3.7ghz. Will need to upgrade my rig soon.

Specs in sig. My rig is running the game pretty good on High. What component/s if replaced should be the priority?

Specs in sig. My rig is running the game pretty good on High. What component/s if replaced should be the priority?

In your case only gpu. Good bargain would be gtx770 with latest price drop or if you have money you can go with gtx970. You cpu is enough and is overclock beast ( like all k series). You could reach essily at least 4.1ghz on stock voltage which means not much higher temps, if any.

My 720 is CO stepping so it wont go over 3.7ghz. Will need to upgrade my rig soon.

Had one of those, very frustrating never got anything stable over 3.6ghz..was so pissed off DO stepping was released literally as I had taken it out of the box..the jump to 3570k was a huge one in terms of performance..waiting for Broadwell next year as the next sensible upgrade

I would wait for next generation of Intel CPU and then at the same time go for a GTX970 or equivalent. in the meantime an overclock of that 2500k with correct cooling will give you a boost

Cheers Dakpilot

Last night I did a test both in sp and mp. My oldie i7 oc to 3.7ghz never excedes 85% and my gtx 660ti is 99% loaded. Which means I wull definitely benefit from gpu upgrade. Will probably wait for gtx 960, should be around 770 price and somwhere between 770 and 780.

After that Will be time for new cpu/mobo/ram...

Edited by dragon76

CPU load is different than GPU load. You can actually be getting the most out of the CPU for the particular application but only be at 50% usage. That's why CPU usage isn't very good indicator, unless it is at 100% then there is an issue with the coding or another program claiming all of the CPU cycles.

That's why when people say, "my CPU is only loaded 43% - code it to use 100%" they really have no idea what they are talking about. The GPU is doing one thing - the graphics for the game application you are running. The CPU is doing the game, other background apps, and Windows. The CPU starts to get heavily loaded and there is less processing power for everything, and that will hurt performance to the point of 1 to 2fps or worse - 1 to 2frames per minute.

Edited by FuriousMeow

CPU load is different than GPU load. You can actually be getting the most out of the CPU for the particular application but only be at 50% usage. That's why CPU usage isn't very good indicator, unless it is at 100% then there is an issue with the coding or another program claiming all of the CPU cycles.

That's why when people say, "my CPU is only loaded 43% - code it to use 100%" they really have no idea what they are talking about. The GPU is doing one thing - the graphics for the game application you are running. The CPU is doing the game, other background apps, and Windows. The CPU starts to get heavily loaded and there is less processing power for everything, and that will hurt performance to the point of 1 to 2fps or worse - 1 to 2frames per minute.

OK now I have 2 questions:

1) How come ROF is super smooth on my rig in mp (syndicate) and in BOS (MP on syndicate) is not so smooth and sometimes it gets very slow and choppy when more planes are in the air near me. In ROF its ok with many planes. They say its the same engine. I think it has more to do with optimisations of the MP and ability to fine tune video options in ROF.

2) Do you think I would more benefit from new CPU than from upgrading from 660Ti to let say 970?

Edited by dragon76

I think they are updating the dserver and fixes for the choppy MP in the latest update?

Yes I know. But I was talking generally about how the game hits CPUs when intense dogfight occurs, with more planes around in MP.