Sign in to follow this  
ATAG_RibbsATAG_Ribbs

Damage model complexity

I haven't been able to dive into ROF yet and was wondering how complex the damage model is in the game? For me one of the biggest draws towards CLOD was the incredible damage modeling the aircraft had.(you never new what was going to happen when bullets were hitting your aircraft) Obviously WWI aircraft are simpler with less subsystems...maybe someone in the know can shed some light on this subject?..

As a suggestion I might ask the Devs to try and make the DM as varied as possible. This keeps the players always wondering.... (what's gonna happen next?)... and how can I get this broken crate back to friendly territory! Thanks again for doing what you can to bring us the best simulator possible!

Like Jason said, they aren't into making a CLOD clone..... so I don't want to get drawn into a comparison contest between the 2.. but for me as a sim pilot.. I love this feeling that the the plane is a living breathing machine with many vulnerable subsystems within it. Thanks S!

I love the physics engine of ROF(wings tearing off folding back and fluttering to the ground, although when the planes hit the ground it doesn't look right to me... It looks like they don't have much weight or mass to them. Its like they are a balsa wood model smashing into the ground..heh )but what I was wondering how the subsystems are modeled ? How detailed? I know overheating is modeled but what about oiling systems, Hydraulic systems..electrical..etc. Does one affect the other? (Example.. in a WWII Plane, a hit in the landing gear (locking mechanism or Hydraulic systems ) and it would cause the main landing gear to drop on occasion. ( I know bad example for WWI era aircraft) but hopefully you see what I'm getting at? ( maybe control cables and control surfaces might be a better example. Say you take hits to the rudder.. and control is affected slightly with holes or tears in the fabric, but a direct hit that severs a cable or rod.. would be devastating... S!

Edited by 352ndRibbs

Note too that it is possible to collide with some of the larger bits of wreckage as they fall. Doesn't happen very often, but it is one more thing to watch out for in a dogfight.

• Upvote 1

Note too that it is possible to collide with some of the larger bits of wreckage as they fall. Doesn't happen very often, but it is one more thing to watch out for in a dogfight.

like here

• Upvote 1

Some very good stuff in the videos.. I really like the bomb explosions as they were going off. Also I have seen in videos that static planes on the ground have the same physics when they are bombed they fly around. Very nice touches. Does the lead locomotive always detach from the rest of the cars and just keep going?...haha

It's important to note that ROF does not yet feature static aircraft.  The aircraft that you see on the ground are simply "live" aircraft with their engines turned off.  777 wished to put in static aircraft, but it's on the back burner, especially now.  And I think the locomotive never stops unless it is destroyed in those cases. 

Hi,

And what about more complex damage models, as cables, rods etc.......As wrote by 352ndRibbs : "but a direct hit that severs a cable or rod.. would be devastating..." ...??  Because in ROF....nothing!

What about cockpit and canopy damages??  Also, nothing in ROF even with the last Felixtowe Seaplane!

So We are wondering all these specific things will be included in the next BOS.

Thanks a lot and season's greetings to all

What about damage model of ships?

Is it "enough bomb hits and the ship goes down" or something more complex? I assume bombing ships wasn't done much during WW1, so I don't know how valid this has been in current RoF.

Edited by slm

What about damage model of ships?

Is it "enough bomb hits and the ship goes down" or something more complex? I assume bombing ships wasn't done much during WW1, so I don't know how valid this has been in current RoF.

I haven't done much of it so far but I believe they can be crippled (no engines) as well as having individual deck items/guns destroyed (which you could do to the boats in RoF even before the channel update).  I should turn on invulnerability and go test it some more I guess.

• Upvote 1

The RoF ship damage model is fairly generic: hit a merchant in the right place and a funnel topples, elsewhere it starts a fire, or a lifeboat hangs vertically from a davit. They look good sinking though - listing, and then rolling over - so far I've only seen them go down bow first. I can also confirm that the collision modelling between the ships mast and a DFW wing is effective - got too close as I bombed, clipped the mast and blew myself up with my own bomb as I crashed. :o  

I should have this recorded - I'll upload a video if I do...

Talking of bombs, there was one bug in IL2 that was always a bit weird, in IL2 you could bomb other aircraft in the air, the bomb would hit the aircraft, but not pass through, but stayed in the aircraft till it exploded. That is rather on the odd side thinking of a 500kg bomb hitting a aluminum aircraft and not being able to pass through it.

Sure it caused for laughs, to bomb a bomber out of the air, but that is not really something that should happen.

• Upvote 1

Alright, I just did some testing with the Brisfit and 20lb bombs - yep it's got engine damage that lets you stop it, short of destroying the ship, they seem to sink differently depending on where they're hit, the damage model is pretty specific to the hit location (eg a hole gets blown in the front deck of the sub if you damage the front deck of the sub enough), etc.  I would be interested to see if the sinking model is influenced by the swell at all, I had a hard enough time sinking 5 ships with the 20lbers (which is to be fair quite a lot of hits needed) with minimal wind.  But yeah it's pretty decent, not silent hunter or anything but certainly more than you really need to represent it from the air, I think, and does pretty much everything '46 did but prettier.  I thought bombing near the sub's periscope, damaging the sub while it was submerged, having a big smoke plume come up from near where the engines were and then seeing the sub surface afterwards was pretty cool too. 

Edited by wiseblood
  • Upvote 1

Talking of bombs, there was one bug in IL2 that was always a bit weird, in IL2 you could bomb other aircraft in the air, the bomb would hit the aircraft, but not pass through, but stayed in the aircraft till it exploded. That is rather on the odd side thinking of a 500kg bomb hitting a aluminum aircraft and not being able to pass through it.

Sure it caused for laughs, to bomb a bomber out of the air, but that is not really something that should happen.

In TB3 deathmatches, I have seen bombs with fuses travel through a plane, doing no damage.  But with the fuze set for zero, the bomb would blow up instantly.  I have never seen a bomb "carried" in a plane while it is "ticking".

Haven't you seen the smashed windows on the felixstowe yet? :)

Hi,

Not yet. My question is largerly regarding cockpit's inside damages for BOS, as for ROF (Same system) there are no cockpit damages (bullet's impacts etc...)

;)

I can also confirm that the collision modelling between the ships mast and a DFW wing is effective - got too close as I bombed, clipped the mast and blew myself up with my own bomb as I crashed. :o  

I should have this recorded - I'll upload a video if I do...

Andy, you seem to be full of wisdom on how to kill, maim, wing or otherwise prang your bird in RoF. :lol:

Andy, you seem to be full of wisdom on how to kill, maim, wing or otherwise prang your bird in RoF. :lol:

Indeed. I think I've written off kites in ways hitherto unknown in the annals of aviation. One of my better efforts involved having the engine on a Pup cut while I was flying slowly along the length of a moving train (I can't remember why, but it seemed a good idea at the time). I bounced off the engine cab roof, but managed to land undamaged. Until the train caught up with me... :wacko:

If the BoS developers need someone to test damage models, I'm the man for the job ...  ;)

I think the way the planes crash to earth does seem a little less than dramatic. No big explosion like we might be used to from crashes in IL2 or even real life guncam. On the other hand I watched film, The Great Waldo Pepper the other night and saw similar crash effects. One segment of the film shows footage from an old WW1 film where a fighter has a hard crash. Very hard. No big explosion, just the plane folding up. So maybe RoF has it right.

BTW, I'd recommend Waldo Pepper if you've never seen it, if for nothing else but the excellent ending.

As promised, what happens when you fly into the mast of a cruiser:  :o

Apologies to JG52Krupi and his gunner Ja52Karaya in the Halberstadt CL.II I almost rammed...  :wacko: