BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 82

Why did they restrict time compression to 2x? It made the campaign even more boring :(

Late to the party, eh? Feel free to tear into it. Quite a few bad decissions have been made these past days.

• Upvote 1

In today's update (will be ready in an hour):

1. Game crash on landing was fixed

2. Autopilot taxiing after landing was fixed

3. Wingmen don't crash anymore after pilot's landing;

4. Burning fragments issue when they used to burn after detaching the plane was fixed. They will only burn if they detach from a burning plane;

5. When falling the detached fragments now burst up snow dust;

6. Problems with unavbailable skins/unlocks was fixed (if they are in the green unlocked zone - they should become available);

7. Pe-2 skins descriptions were fixed;

8. Fw-190 skin description was fixed;

9. 10th pilot level was added;

10. Flacks and other AAA now fire correctly in Campaign;

11. Unlimited enemy spawning in Duel was fixed.

• Upvote 10

Thanks informations and ready for the new patch (Thanks also last week fix updates).

4. Cracked plane parts now have not fire on them if plane have fired when cracked. Only parts which have burned before crack firing after crack now.

- I was like whaaat? Until I pressed the quote button and saw this.

4. Burning fragments issue when they used to burn after detaching the plane was fixed. They will only burn if they detach from a burning plane;

4. Cracked plane parts now have not fire on them if plane have fired when cracked. Only parts which have burned before crack firing after crack now.

- I was like whaaat? Until I pressed the quote button and saw this.

I've been adding some corrections on the fly, never mind.

9. 10th pilot level was added;

What is this? We had 4.

Would be nice to be able to use time acceleration (past 2x) in the single player campaign again; I'm really hoping one of these updates brings back 4x, 8x and 16x.

Dev's have stated several times there is no balancing. They may have their data wrong but they are not intentionally tampering with the aircraft.

Hi HerrMurf,

I don't know either way if this is the case and don't lose any sleep over it. The point I was trying to make is that sometimes balancing might be necessary. In the case of BoS, to some the fm's are not quite up to spec which can look like balancing. For the record I'm pretty happy with the kites as they are now. Few online players I've seen fly as WW2 pilots did back in the day i.e. keeping formation discipline, only attacking when at an advantage, flying as a pair at the minimum, etc., so they might not be getting the best use out of the aircraft or the best advantage in a given situation.

And then there's the stuff we see on the History Channel... ;)

Good hunting.

Edited by CFC_Conky

is the update ready yet - I'm getting a message asking me to update but I just did a clean install  21.52 GMT  

oops just read the note ..ready in an hour..updated too soon

Kalimba said:

Some people still feel like 90% accuracy is unacceptable for a $60 sim  considering they read books with all sorts of informations about FM , thus consider themselves as experts, more than the devs, and thus make all their complaints legitimate and their opinons about FM the  absolute truth.

Is that a good résumé of your thoughts ?

:)

Not a million miles off, though I wasn't being quite that cynical...people *really do* seem to invest a huge amount in FMs, and a lot hinges on it. To some people it really is the one crucial thing. But yes, there's often a huge amount of ego formation-flying thrown in for good measure. At least it shows people care. But hopefully not at the expense of a game.

At least we've moved on from the era of rigid look-up tables, and have a lot to thank the floating-point maths co-processors for...I remember the flight-models from the 286/386 era... :)

Edited by falstaff

Kalimba said:

:)

Not a million miles off, though I wasn't being quite that cynical...people *really do* seem to invest a huge amount in FMs, and a lot hinges on it. To some people it really is the one crucial thing. But yes, there's often a huge amount of ego formation-flying thrown in for good measure. At least it shows people care. But hopefully not at the expense of a game.

At least we've moved on from the era of rigid look-up tables, and have a lot to thank the floating-point maths co-processors for...I remember the flight-models from the 286/386 era... :)

Hi Falstaff, 

Yeah, I am a bit cynical... Sorry... But I just can't beleive that after all the reaserch and hard work that has been done by 777, some people would still get to the devs with excuses like : your well respected veteran is 90 years old so he's senile so his account worths nothing... You don't have the good DATA, but WE do... Even if the devs did the tests in BOS, WE don't agree with the results... We know how FM should be but the devs don't really care... and so on and so on...for pages and pages...

So those " some people" will NEVER be happy with any simulated FM... They don't even agree amoung themselves !

They put all their hopes on the next simulator, and when they feel it is not "compatible " with their expectations, bang ! On the devs heads !

100% accurate FM for all the planes in every situation with all kinds of weather and loadouts? Really ? For $60 and a smile ?

BOS is a fabulous piece of hard work and technologie... That is all I can say...

• Upvote 7

Have you heard about clipped wing spitfires? I would think that there was some reason to produce those? I have been under the impression that the reason was to counter FW 190 advantage in roll rate.

The initial development and deployment of the clipped wing mk. V Spitfire was indeed to counter the FW190 - in a very specific area of operations.  The LW used their FW's in a jabo role against English coastal towns and installations from the spring of '42 and the clipped wing did indeed improve roll rates.  It also improved top speed at lower level and improved initial acceleration and diving speeds at all heights.  The engine installation on these models was also specifically designed to produce as much power at lower levels as possible. 

This was to combat the LW tactic of crossing the channel at low level and high speed to avoid radar detection.  The theory being the clipped wing spits would be able to catch the nominally faster 190's on their return to France.

Edit; spot on post Kalimba :salute:

Edited by arthursmedley
  • Upvote 1

Been travelling for a couple of weeks, so I'm just catching up.

Under controls, there are now two identical sets of "oil radiators: open shutters" and  "oil radiators: close shutters", and I'm wondering what the distinction is between them.

Edited by avlSteve

Another update (thanks Devs.), another week of griping. Oh well. At least there's the ignore list. I'll just fly BoS as it is and wait for the day it's perfected.

Ok. Looks like roll in BOS is ok, 160°/sec at 410kmh.

Look at page 136 of report - pilot makes control deflection and waiting for maximum roll rate will estabilish and THIS value is listed as roll speed. Not average roll rate recalculated to average roll speed as you have done guys. So NACA report is showing not 1 roll average speed, but speed of continues rolling or maximum achieved roll speed on test maneuver. Which is correctly represented in game.

I've personaly performed this test and I have 160°/sec continues rolling speed.

Also, 1 roll can be performed in 2.5 seconds, so even average roll speed is greater than 140°/sec.

I've just tested again for maximum roll rate and I agree here with Han.

Test is done per parameters stated above - at 10,000 feet at continuous power. I test with 4 cannon (yes I unlocked it in campaign  :salute: ) and continuous roll and I can meet those numbers stated in NACA example.

Han is correct and we should be thankful he took the time to test this close to release date.

However I will say I don't think FW was always rolling like this :)

• Upvote 3

Test is done per parameters stated above - at 10,000 feet at continuous power. I test with 4 cannon (yes I unlocked it in campaign  :salute: ) and continuous roll and I can meet those numbers stated in NACA example.

Han is correct and we should be thankful he took the time to test this close to release date.

Yeah ! Finally ! A positive, constructive and conclusive test !

Thanks Cujo !  Hoping that this will be the beginning of the end of   FM whinning....  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Test is done per parameters stated above - at 10,000 feet at continuous power. I test with 4 cannon (yes I unlocked it in campaign :salute: ) and continuous roll and I can meet those numbers stated in NACA example.

Great! Hopefully we can move on now.

In which update will the Korean theater show-up? :P

Lovin' this franchise (I hope)!

• Upvote 1

And? What is next? Our planes were experted by several pilots, one of them is a WW2 veteran pilot, another is a test pilot of these birds:

6014153402_b364f40767_m.jpg

Ilyushin08.jpgo4-1.jpg

@Han

Do you have contact to pilots of german planes too?

Edited by Corto

Great! Hopefully we can move on now.

not going to happen, they found something else to argue about it, "but the Lag3 has wooden wings" now, so this should effect the roll rate. OMG these guys wont stop!!!

• Upvote 2

Really looking forward to the Ju-52. I hope it does become flyable at some point. For people looking for new gameplay options in flight sims transport seems a great way to go. I think you will be suprised how popular it will be.

Kestrel79's right: The Ju-52 WILL be popular. And if you EVER consider making it a flyable (and payable!) ADDON, I'm quite sure you'll get every support you need from the guys at www.ju-air.ch / www.facebook.com/AirForceCenter. They e.g. provided the JU-52s for the movie Valkyrie/Stauffenberg:

valkyrie_02.jpg  valkyrie_01.jpg

Thank god... it seems quiet now. Right, stand down, tin hat's off!... SMITHERS! go and find us all some tea, there's a good chap... :)

I think we can all agree, that as regards FM, if the dev's had every scrap of information ever documented, and had all aircraft 100% accurately dialled into the game, there would still be people telling them they were wrong! Oh... 'be sure'  :soldier:

The initial development and deployment of the clipped wing mk. V Spitfire was indeed to counter the FW190 - in a very specific area of operations.  The LW used their FW's in a jabo role against English coastal towns and installations from the spring of '42 and the clipped wing did indeed improve roll rates.  It also improved top speed at lower level and improved initial acceleration and diving speeds at all heights.  The engine installation on these models was also specifically designed to produce as much power at lower levels as possible. 

This was to combat the LW tactic of crossing the channel at low level and high speed to avoid radar detection.  The theory being the clipped wing spits would be able to catch the nominally faster 190's on their return to France.

Edit; spot on post Kalimba :salute:

From what I have read, the 190's roll advantage allowed it to out maneuver a spitfire in a rolling scissors, which would enable the 190 to get behind the spitfire that was chasing it, clipping the wing helped the spit roll significantly better.

The change to the spitfire's supercharger was due to the lag time it took for the plane to accelerate from cruise speed to max speed (needed for engaging/ fleeing a 190).

Thank god... it seems quiet now. Right, stand down, tin hat's off!... SMITHERS! go and find us all some tea, there's a good chap... :)

I think we can all agree, that as regards FM, if the dev's had every scrap of information ever documented, and had all aircraft 100% accurately dialled into the game, there would still be people telling them they were wrong! Oh... 'be sure'  :soldier:

In all honesty I think people "crying foul" in regards to flight models is due to a number of reasons.

My own personal is seeing the difference between il2 1946 and BOS.

A simple example is that in il2 1946 in a yak (of the same time period) you couldn't go over 700 km/h or 750 km/h in a dive before loosing a wing (I made my fair share of MP Russian pilots loose a wing  ;) )

In BOS you will start loosing control surfaces at about that speed, but in a dive (not pulling an G's) you will never break a wing. i dived from 10 km to the ground (into the ground) and reached 1040 km/h and still had both wings. I might not have had any control surfaces, but my wings, vertical stabilizer, horizontal stabilizer and prop were all still there.

For me this is curious, and sadly makes me wonder if there has been some fiddling with the FM's (except for 2 or so occasions I have kept my mouth shut as I am not an expert in these aircraft, knowing all the report data etc), I know that some may not like to fly a Varnished coffin, but at this point of the war, that is what it was like.

I def hope that they don't do auto balancing of the teams to match Historical, imaging doing 1944/45 on the western front, 1 German plane to like 200 Allied planes   :wacko:
Edited by novicebutdeadly

I think we can all agree, that as regards FM, if the dev's had every scrap of information ever documented, and had all aircraft 100% accurately dialled into the game, there would still be people telling them they were wrong! Oh... 'be sure' :soldier:

No i can't agree, developers can't too because they said that they have limits witch hobbyist don't have. You shud listing to ppl with data or strong knowledge, less but not deny ppl with common sense on subject. No one is perfect.

Of course, no one is perfect... but if you read my post correctly I said 'IF'... 'if' the dev's had the aircraft 100% correct.

It's a hypothetical statement.

No i can't agree, developers can't too because they said that they have limits witch hobbyist don't have. You shud listing to ppl with data or strong knowledge, less but not deny ppl with common sense on subject. No one is perfect.

No one is perfect.???

O my guess that means I'm out.

But yes good work on the updates. The game is playing well other than having a good north american normal server.

@ han

I test again the fw 190, i find out they rolling from take off to very hard to the left

from 200-460kmh.then the focke will fly strait.

The engine moment toogle? Is to much.in turns abaut 250-350 the stallt left

Am i the only one getting "server autorization" error after the update and this message? My internet is working.. Please help
2akz9u.png

Edited by KnowYourEnemy

You got it. No one is perfect. Especially those who think they are... That means it is impossible to reach a 100% concensus among the so called "experts" regarding 75 year old planes' FM that no one in this forum has flown in the '40, except for  a couple of noble veterans that were consultants for 777, and were dismissed by those "knowledgable hobbyist" because of their old age... 

So your post  actually confirmes that every data that has been proposed to the devs by "knowledgable hobbyist" could actually be wrong, since no one is perfect...With your logic, where does de debate end ?

• Upvote 2

I am enjoying the campaign.  I'm about an hour into it, and despite a few annoyances, I think it has a lot of potential.

I'm guessing the team will allow MP access to all the extras/skins instead of coupling it to the campaign.  Who knows... that might be an incentive to fly MP.

The campaign lacks a "career" feel to it, but the mechanics seem to easily support the fix for that.  Then plop the tutorial into its own phase, allow custom settings, and I'm about set.

The maps are gorgeous, the feel of flight is fantastic, the immersion is intense. 

• Upvote 2