Freycinet

Developers: have you tried out the Oculus Rift DK2 with BoS yet?

S!

I will wait it out a bit by the looks of it. Sure sounds immersing and all, but I need good resolution and FPS above all. If that means I play on a screen instead of OR then so be it. TrackIR is still a good gadget :)

• Upvote 1

All I can say is I am putting in many hours on Elite Dangerous in the rift and it kicks ass, seriously, the occasional hesitation (stutter/judder) is no different to what we may have all experienced with underpowered hardware on some games, I have no idea why people make such a fuss over absolute smoothness, as quick as the immersion may break it is regained, I have no doubts all this stuff will get better optimisation and will cope with the higher resolution.

Interesting interview on Youtube with the Gaijin developer of WT on VR and the Oculus Rift. 

He stresses that much higher resolutions, lower latencies, higher frame rates, better VR hardware, system hardware, and software are required for a decent VR experience.  Which all the hardware software developers are quite aware of.

For good reason, most of the major players are now investing heavily into VR/AR, because they see the huge potential, fully understanding it will probably take time before the hardware/software and pricepoint is accessible to the masses. 

Intel/AMD/Nvidia are now optimizing their hardware/drivers and working with VR hardware developers to make it even better in the future.    It will be difficult to drive complex combat flight sims, but having seen the massive immersion of the early prototypes, I know I will invest in a very highend system after the first OR consumer version is released, probably late next year.  There are many problems to solve, but I'm confident the next versions of System/VR hardware and System/VR software will drive the frames required at a decent enough resolution for early adopters to enjoy the VR flight sim experience.

Chivas!!! Very well said!!! I must watch their video, but your words are describing it very well. 

I also said, that different techniques will enhance the experience and probably reduce the time to reach that living VR environment. That is correct, but always remember the advertising of the hardware guys and what the result was. Advertising and saying something positive is always easy. We are still far away from mantle support or DX12. It is crazy to see sometimes, how slow we are proceeding.

Why is that? -> Very, very simple answer: We are all too dumb and to less demanding-> they can iterate all their technologies slow -> Why is that? 99.9% are not aware and are addicted to marketing gags. I only know under 1% of the huge crowd of guys in various games, that can really differ between all these tech advances and what actually is just a "gag". I have to reconfigure gamer PCs from friends every freaking time, as they havent heard my advice or those of my clan (most of my clan are 100% hardware enthusiasts with a lot of knowledge, benchmarking experience, etc.).

So: You said it quite well and all those, who CAN and not only WANT to evaluate the situation is in one line: It takes some more years!!!!! And ONLY stupid Bf4 gamers or similar are really thinking, that this all is near future. Palmer said it, the scientists said that, hardware addicted said that and ...I said that. Sorry, but the future is coming, BUT it is a bit away....especially for games with graphics of high fidelity!!! 

I also said: The industry WILL adopt and produce games for it. BUT it wont be an Arma 3 graphics or Star Citizen...Why?-> Because impossible to meet in the next 3 years!!!! AT LEAST

But you are right! And some simply do not understand. But internet is favoured for individuals, that have no clue! ;) 

All I can say is I am putting in many hours on Elite Dangerous in the rift and it kicks ass, seriously, the occasional hesitation (stutter/judder) is no different to what we may have all experienced with underpowered hardware on some games, I have no idea why people make such a fuss over absolute smoothness, as quick as the immersion may break it is regained, I have no doubts all this stuff will get better optimisation and will cope with the higher resolution.

I am backer from day one! As well as Star Citizen, where I put way over 5k $ into it! I am super excited with both, as their scope is a different and they shouldnt be compared.

I also flew a lot of DK2 in Elite....but....it is a effect advertiser...it is nowhere near where the VR experience should be! As Elite has nearly NOTHING to do with competitive and skill involved dogfight (Yes: I say it is pretty plain and boring), the Oculus doesnt bother too much. But honestly: This cannot be a device you really recommend playing. It is a fun thingy, it adds also immersion....Nothing of this I denied...BUT it is completely bad tech currently!!! I talked with PM to some of the "near" dev guys and they also said: Well....it is...not what is good...currently! 

I believe and I trust in VR. But: Nothing to recommend, nothing that needs to be implemented in games NOW (probably all devs rudder back and place status on "Hold" as it simply is crap and not fulfilling the demand) and it is nothing, that should prevent 777 games from working on essentially important game content, that the community needs. Even if we are 100 DK2 users with passion, I still would recommend NOT to implement it, before

a.)the thousands of potential triple screen users are able to use their setup AND

b.) the whole "serious" online community, that consists NOT only of dumb daily server players on dogfight servers, but very often of squadrons planning their own evenings with other squadrons.

I mean: I know no squadron, that really says: Yes!!! Exactly what we need!!! No scenarios, no SEOW, no ADW, no dynamnic campaigns, no coop!!! SUPER!!! 

The need for such variety was mentioned years ago, ...even in CloD. They not heard and so, they are not successful....simple as that. 

No real war with possibilities like SEOW, ADW, etc. with no living air fields and no living war theater on the ground means: DEATH! Sorry, but I see no of my well known squads will be flying this....as we have nothing to do here! 

And sadly we all knew, that EXACTLY this would have been the major "bummer" to seperate from DCS and get a working community. But we ended, before a community is even alive. And how should it awake`? Simple answer: In my view, I do not see any community, if we not work into the direction to create one. Creating one not means: I do a game like everyone before with more realism. It means getting those people served with possibilities. And currently...we have...none!! :(

P.S.: I watched the video and he nailed down exactly the same claims, that I have on Oculus and he even made the same estimations and have the same tech ideas. Why? Because he AND I am informed....pretty well! :) Not saying, only I am that way. Literally all I met with DK2 experience with a little tech knowledger were fully with me.

I just wonder...why we have some guys here, that do not understand that. Is it Nvidia like fanboys not knowing, what they are talking about? Sorry, but just wondering!!! :)

Tech info:

ATI btw is already rendering SFR (Split Frame Rendering instead of normal SLI/Xfire method AFR = Alternate-Frame Rendering) in Civilisation Beyond Earth with Mantle! There is nothing new and such methods existed decades ago already! 

It is the most obvious technical solution and they all JUST not developed for it. It is obvious since birth of SLI and Xfire, that 1 card for one image or one monitor would be cool to use as rendering device. I and others recommend that and its other methods for one monitor since...10 years...??? 

Guys: Always remember: They are playing cat and mouse with us and we are not getting always top notch. Too much was aligned towards the crappy consoles and the idiotic gamers, that throw in money for everything. Everyone should already be aware on how hard hardware devs are laughing at us and wonder, why we really buy all this crap. 

If they were passioned for best performances, they would already have worked on SLI/Xfire problems or faster processors a decade ago. But consoles open a marketing structure, that still is living and breathing. 

We could already be at what mantle and DX12 is now trying to solve + better gfx cards with more streaming capabilities and better performance on higher res than crappy 1080p (I mean, we had more than 1080 p monitors 2 decades ago?...). We could also have faster CPU (4-5 GHz is a joke!!!) faster bus systems, another architecture, etc.

Everyone, who is not aware, that the whole console hype cost us many years for the PC platform, is simply not knowing anything. It brought some new opportunities and the hardware industry used that extensively! :) It is called: Milk that cow!

Honestly I think the software end of it is the major limiting factor. Video cards are just not allowing low level access to oculus drivers and many software devs aren't implementing time warp and other important features. Bit I still firmly believe that the 1440p/90hz CV1 will be better than playing on my 4k display. I'm also confident that a GTX-980 will be capable of that if the software is optimised. 

If you are NOW playing on a a 4k display, I cannot technically help you anymore!!! It is like playing on a TV!!!! There is a reason for monitors being more expensive than TVs. I just hate people talking about tech while playing on TVs!!! Sorry...:(

Edit to Chivas: Not majore players are investing! Passionate and tech enthusiasts wanna evaluate. And most did that correctly in my experience. We only have discussion here! :)

And: YES, the hardware devs are aware....they are aware since more than 15 years that they should be able to render more than 1080p res. Still we are not seeing it. And it is not just: "I am now aware and produce it!" It is more: "Damn, how to accomplish? How much will play VR? Currently the experience is just effect and not worth it. So why investing billions?"

Aside of that, they are not able to serve that, as I already told you some posts ago. PC architecture is too old, bus systems are too slow and every component is by far too slow to do it! :) Low level access and software issues not solve fundamental problems. So, it is like I said. We need some more years to even see a finish line for half assed integrations. Full needs....I do not know!!! 

That is why Palmer and also others (m included) said, that only for Oculus designed low end games will serve the demands. No fancy super graphics game will be playable on it in the normal way. Star Citizen? With so high poly, high textures and high draw calls? No way!!!!

I agree the Rift is the future, and its very close for some, while others will  probably have to wait.   VR will be huge with early adopters that will spend the time, and buy the software/hardware that best suits early VR.  Its impossible to say how long it will take VR to become usable for the general public, as we don't know the capabilities of the first consumer version, and what hardware/software it will require to drive it.  Not to mention not knowing the capabilities of the software being optimized for VR.

WT in the rift is hideous, the image is warped and just induces nausia. Very poor implimentation.

Edited by BigPickle