Trains are easy:

2013_8_27__23_56_15_zpsf74bf04a.jpg

2013_8_27__23_57_24_zpsfe9eacd0.jpg

Bombs left for trucks too:

2013_8_28__0_3_17_zpsf1ddd6fe.jpg

Back home for tea, biscuits and medals:

2013_8_28__0_5_55_zpsd42cee7f.jpg

Edited by AndyJWest

I like the plane overall, nice looking and certainly fleshes the early war out some more but the fact that there is no transition animation between the 2 gunner positions is kind of spoiling the immersion. It looks funny to me seeing the AI "teleport" into the positions in the matter of a split second.

A picture showing how the gunner worked the rear firing position...

Royal_Aircraft_Factory_FE2d_gunner.jpg

Makes you think they were nuts back then!

When you stood up to shoot, all of you from the knees up was exposed to the elements. There was no belt to hold you. Only your grip on the gun and the sides of the nacelle stood between you and eternity. Toward the front of the nacelle was a hollow steel rod with a swivel mount to which the gun was anchored. This gun covered a huge field of fire forward. Between the observer and the pilot a second gun was mounted, for firing over the F.E.2d's upper wing to protect the aircraft from rear attack ... Adjusting and shooting this gun required that you stand right up out of the nacelle with your feet on the nacelle coaming. You had nothing to worry about except being blown out of the aircraft by the blast of air or tossed out bodily if the pilot made a wrong move. There were no parachutes and no belts. No wonder they needed observers.

Edited by JG4_Karaya
  • Upvote 1

'Kin 'ell!!!  No wonder my gunner seems reluctant to open fire. He's obviously petrified with fear all the time.

@ arthursmedley: Yeah - I tried it out briefly against an AI Eindekker, and the gunner didn't seem to know what he was doing at first. He wouldn't fire while the Fokker was in front to start with, and seemed to stand up at inappropriate times. I think he must have hit the Fokker eventually when it got behind us, as it slowed down. We were at ground level by then, so the Fokker could do nothing but circle, with me behind trying to hold steady for the gunner. He finally de-winged it, leaving us to go home with a slightly ragged looking F.E.2b.

Edited by AndyJWest

Why do I keep imagining a discussion between the pilot and gunner in the below picture:

Royal_Aircraft_Factory_FE2d_gunner.jpg

Gunner: Excellent field of fire & freedom of view. Now where is my safety belt?

Pilot: Your what?

Gunner: My bloody safety belt!

Pilot: What for?

Gunner: To keep me from falling to my death should you decide to do some whicked maneuvers while standing like this!

Pilot: ...

Gunner: You must be F*****G kidding me!

Edited by JG4_Karaya
  • Upvote 2