6./ZG26_Emil

Did anyone else buy ROF since the BOS announcement?

I recently upgraded from a dual core running at 3ghz with a 460gts756mvram to an i7 running at 3.6ghz with a 660ti 3gigvram.  The difference was startling.  I think your 460gts will be........ok, provided you have a quad core processor.  The 460 is a great card for what it is nowadays and can put up some decent eye-candy but the DN engine was built with quad core processors in mind and I think you'll definitely need one to realise the games potential when it comes to the number of 'planes in the air and ground objects.  

The processor  is  ok.. its  an i5 2500K overclocked to  3.95 GHz  :P

I haven't bought it, but I had to try the free to play version with my new X52 Pro. After maybe six hours of RoF behind, I must say I don't regret pre-ordering BoS. I have never seen so well polished flight sim. I'm not very interested in WW1 but I can't stop playing RoF. Graphics, sounds, physics, menus, everything is simply superb. There's no way the team behind that game could screw BoS.

• Upvote 1

Not all like  it.  I  also had a MSFFB 2 and  always hated the thing. The reactiosn never felt realistic. Tryign to transmit too much trough  the stick, even things that would not be felt on the stick.   In fact  most of time ruine dmy immersion.

I like mine.. I think it does things no spring can do. I can feel the difference when I have damage.. or a heavy loadout.

I know I know! I'm a minimalist and don't like clutter. I've thrown loads of useful stuff out and regretted it. The MSFFB2 was in perfect condition after 10 years of use.

I only used the center force, never liked the actual FFB

Me niether.. I like the stall shake but not the gun shake.. I use just the stick forces in IL2. I hope in BoS you can select what you want to transmit through FFB.

I need to install RoF again to check if  i will need to upgrade my video card :/  Fearing my NVidia 460 GTS will not cut it...

It should .. RoF is amazingly reasonable on systems.. I was able to run it on my old Fx-60,Nv265GTs,4GDDR2 machine. Granted I couldn't max out the settings but it ran and it ran well enough for me to enjoy it.

I downloaded the free ROF to try out the engine since it will be pretty much the same in BOS and it was really amazing so i bought a couple of planes. As previously mentioned by others, I don't really fancy the WW1 era and the planes but hell, this game is so fantastic i just play it anyway!

I downloaded the free ROF to try out the engine since it will be pretty much the same in BOS and it was really amazing so i bought a couple of planes. As previously mentioned by others, I don't really fancy the WW1 era and the planes but hell, this game is so fantastic i just play it anyway!

What planes did you buy?  

I'm just curious -- I have had a lot of fun with the Pup although it is underpowered compared to later war fighters.  I really enjoy playing with the early war stuff because it is so limited in terms of capabilities.  Often single machine guns, not a bunch of ammo, not a lot of power, pretty nasty handling characteristics near the edge of the envelope....  They force you to think tactically instead of rushing into the fight and hoping everything turns out ok.

I've been flying RoF for at least a couple of years now in my limited free time. I pre-ordered BOS because of the tremendous amount of faith I have in 777. I pre-ordered CoD, as well, and only 777's involvement could have convinced me to do so again.

As others have said, these guys have skills. Overall, RoF is possibly the most-impressive piece of gaming software this aging gamer has ever owned, and the company has done nothing but conduct itself honorably during my time as one of their happy customers.

I lean more toward WWI myself when it comes to aviation, but I'm keeoing an open mind and looking forward to my premium pre-order.

Edited by Malachy
  • Upvote 2

Of course RoF has issues, but if you compare it with the relatively simple summer 2009 release, it really made an impressive developement. That's pretty much the main reason why it didn't take me that long to go ahead and preorder BoS. I'm looking foward to the BoS release and to experience the developement from the very beginning, just like with RoF. I think it's more fun than getting a "finished" product which only gets a few new planes or a new map from time to time.

Excellent point. It is great to follow a sim from its simple beginnings and see it grow and mature. Also, with the impressive flight modelling it seems we can expect in BoS we will need the time before new planes come along just to get to know the planes in the original release.

Excellent point. It is great to follow a sim from its simple beginnings and see it grow and mature. Also, with the impressive flight modelling it seems we can expect in BoS we will need the time before new planes come along just to get to know the planes in the original release.

Yes, watching RoF grow from the beginning, and I had my doubts about it and the stated goals and reasons for some design choices, but I bought it and watched and then got fully involved because I was impressed with their openness, being true to their word, and knowing Jason from the forums for years all helped me want to support the effort and I'm glad I did! Look what's happening because of it!! So this time I'm getting in on the ground floor to watch every detail materialize and take shape. :D Exciting times for us flight simmers!

CLOD's pretty good now with the TF Patch but that doesn't mean I wont be flying BOS loads. The way I see it is the more sims the better :D But the LOD problem (Being fixed by TF) was a massive pain and even in IL2 it was damn near impossible to see stuff if you had a high resolution monitor.

Way back in the day 2001 I had a lovely 21" Ilyama CRT which had a resolution of 1600x1200 iirc and you simply couldn't see a damn thing on it. I remember (and there are people still doing this!!!) we had a couple of guys who would run the sim in something stupid like 800x640 and they could see enemy aircraft miles away while I was blindly scanning the skys. In the end I had to drop the resolution...something I still have to do on CLOD to this day.

Being able to use the native resolution is such a pleasure especially for me as I spent a fortune on my monitors (for work not games honest).

I took off from one airfield and saw out of the corner of my eye something moving on the ground, when I looked closely I saw it was a train chugging along. I know this is in other sims but it was really nice to see. Also the lack of shimmering on the ground textures (another horrible hangover from IL2) isn't there. The landscape is believable, the artillery nice to watch as well. But the best this as I previously said is how you can see aircraft and make out their shape from long distances rather than having a black dot that suddenly transforms into an aircraft.

Anway it's been kind of fun learning about the WW1 aircraft, I love the sound of the guns and the damage model is very good in my opinion, wings seem to tear away from the aircraft deforming relatively slowly rather than just flying off. Also seeing fragments of wing slowly floating down to earth gives the sim a great feel.

The worst part for me is that I am used to aircraft which are much faster and my tactics don't always work, for example rolling over a two seater after a B&Z attack leaves me hanging there close to it and moving very slowly which generally results in bad things happening :D

Thanks for this info.  I reloaded CLOD and found the TF patch and wow, so much better!!  I'm actually enjoying the game now.  It should hold me over until BOS.

Thanks for this info.  I reloaded CLOD and found the TF patch and wow, so much better!!  I'm actually enjoying the game now.  It should hold me over until BOS.

Yes and a new patch which will come out soon should do something to fix the LOD issue amongst other things.

Do you have ROF? I have now bought almost every aircraft and mod :D and that's in less than two weeks

Yes and a new patch which will come out soon should do something to fix the LOD issue amongst other things.

Do you have ROF? I have now bought almost every aircraft and mod :D and that's in less than two weeks

Yeah, I got it a few weeks ago.  I have about half the planes and the channel map.  I saw the CLOD TF version 4.0 videos today.  They are doing some fantastic work!! The lighting, clouds and effects look spectacular!!

I've downloaded it to try it out. Mostly to see what the career and campaign modes were like since people have suggested BoS might be similar.

I purchased RoF on release, & whilst don't play it very oftern, I do have all the released planes & the majority of the other updates.

Hello Everybody,

Just this minute purchased the Premium version.

See you in the skies later in the year.

Cheers,

Spag. :cool:

Oh yes indeed,

Due to the BOS announcement, I downloaded the Free 2 Play version of ROF, back in Dec,  and then immediately purchased the ICE version.

Same here, greetz, Allons!

running rof yesterday i rememebr why i stopped playing:

i would get two gifted planes from my friend andy west :)

but soon i realized to play i needed more planes so i bought two more but i realized the thing went on and on and to play whenever you wanted you would need all planes that i cant afford

i just hope bos online numbers are big enough as this not happening anyway i will buy the standard for the cause but again i hope not to be force to have all planes to play

running rof yesterday i rememebr why i stopped playing:

i would get two gifted planes from my friend andy west :)

but soon i realized to play i needed more planes so i bought two more but i realized the thing went on and on and to play whenever you wanted you would need all planes that i cant afford

i just hope bos online numbers are big enough as this not happening anyway i will buy the standard for the cause but again i hope not to be force to have all planes to play

Hello raaaid,

Good to hear that you are joining BoS.

The same happened to me in RoF, bloody addictive tfs.

It will definitely help to improve RoF by buying BoS, there have been some improvements in RoF directly attributed to BoS already.

Cheers,

Spag. :cool:

Most people I know only fly one side so only bought those aircraft. It means they can fly any mission for Germans. I have all fighters and two seaters but didn't bother with the multi engined aircraft. I would also say that while the field mods are very useful if not a must the weapons mods are not.