Feathered_IV

Flying the BoS Dream campaign - SP inspiration, Singleplayers only

For a SP campaign, you could probably get away with very limited actual results of your flying. The battle went to Hades for the Wehrmacht despite the effort of the Luftwaffe. I think pseudo-interactions with the game in the form of written acknowledgements will go a long way towards creating the feeling of an actual contribution.

Imagine you're a Luftwaffe pilot and have successfully landed a He 111 in Stalingrad, and the next section calls for a collaps of a front to the South. The text of the next briefing could read:

- Thanks to the supplies flown in last night, we have managed to hold the North front, however, the situation to the South is grim ...

If you bugged the delivery, it would read

- The supply situation is now dire. The South front is collapsing, the situation is grim ...

If you fail to take out a e.g. an artillery position, you could perhaps be asked to hit it again. With the desperation of the fighting around Stalingrad however, the whole thing can simply be solved by flying a different type of mission next time. I guess with the type of fighting over Stalingrad, both air forces would constantly be called up to put of fires. 

Good idea indeed

Recently, I was bombing an airfield with my Stuka.. I suddenly noticed all this personnel running around (Awesome!), so I go in and strafe them. Sadly, it didn't kill them. I may sound like a sadistic person, but hey, it's war.. I remember you could strafe infantry units in Janes WWII Fighters.. It would add to the authenticity..

Edited by Silky

How about a kickstarter campaign for a campaign team supporting 777 Studios?

Or does 777 like some new employes?

I would gladly pay for good quality atmospheric campaign, heck I would even pay extra for a properly done refractive Windscreen in the Fw190 :D

Great campaign concept Feathered. I'd be very happy if the dev's considered implementing something like this.

S!

If the campaign ever gets anywhere near like you've imagined here, you'll convert me to a SP player :) .. Well, not completely, but it would be hard to resist playing it :)

Edited by LLv34_Untamo

Battle of Stalingrad was originally described as an advanced World War II historical flight simulator. This means that the storyline is history and the characters are you and your friends. If this game starts moving in the direction of a role-playing game with a fantasy storyline and make-believe characters it will no longer be an historical flight simulator. If this happens many people who initially invested their money supporting the original concept will be very disappointed.

How many campaigns have you flown in a game with a purely historical character and conducted only those operations he/she flew in? Not many I'd guess. The idea is immersion and a sense of being there, not strictly mirroring reality. Using the above criteria, there has never been and never will be a simulation.

One of the areas that BoS needs improving upon is the educational value of the sim.  Currently if a person with no knowledge of the battle of Stalingrad were to buy the game, they would not learn very much at all about the battle:  It was winter and that.  A lot of the planes looked funny, but it was time to shoot at things...

They might begin flying the current campaign, but all they would take away from the cutscenes is something something, deep voice, animation, something something...  Chances are they'd only hear it once and the information would be quickly forgotten.  Beyond that, there is currently nothing I can think of to educate and to impress upon the player the sheer scale and importance of the battle. 

This one is hardly an original idea.  Lots of historically based games feaure a similar thing to that shown below.  The idea is to make use of those loading times.  Provide information on the historical battle.  Give the player a greater sense of being embedded in the game world.  Include tactics that will help them survive.  First-hand accounts.  Quotes by veterans and leaders. Statistics and figures -however painful they may be.  Poetry and song of the period.  Excerpts from the writings of Vasily Grossman or letters home.  Information about aerial combat in general, and the eastern front in particular.  Information about the eastern front, and Stalingrad in particular.

A new player of BoS will learn something.  They will come away with a better understanding of the struggle and the people and places within it.  Isn't that after all the whole point?

cfIvcNf.jpg

ITdDfjW.jpg

O6xhh29.jpg

8WbOkYf.jpg

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Upvote 6

Zak, if you are still following this thread, do you think this could be possible for the loading screen? 

RoF does this already with randomised quotes in the mission briefings in the career, so presumably the knowhow is there. 

Here's the ones I did for RoF as an example of the format.  If a similar list needed compiling for BoS, I'm sure the community would be happy to contribute.

Cite
{
Text = "It is a pity that my collection of trophies does not contain a single Russian.";
Source = "- Manfred von Richthofen, 80 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "I hate this game...";
Source = "- Albert Ball VC, 44 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "I put my bullets into the target as if I placed them there by hand.";
Source = "- René Fonck, 75 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "You must take the war to the enemy. You must attack and go on attacking, all the time.";
Source = "- Willy Coppens, 37 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.";
Source = "- Lord Kelvin, President of the Royal Society, 1895";
}

Cite
{
Text = "Always above, seldom on the same level, never underneath.";
Source = "- Edward Mannock, 73 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "As long as I live I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single-handed fought seven of us for ten minutes, and also put some bullets through all of our machines. His flying was wonderful, his courage magnificent, and in my opinion he is the bravest German airman whom it has been my privilege to see fight.";
Source = "- James McCudden, 57 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "I closed to within ten yards of the Hun, edged out of his slip-stream and drew nearer still... It was impossible to miss.";
Source = "- Arthur Gould Lee, 7 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "I will be like Boelcke...";
Source = "- German pilots' motto";
}

Cite
{
Text = "While in the air you constantly turned your head, first to one side and then to the other, making sure that nothing was on your tail.";
Source = "- Raymond Collishaw, 61 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "If he had been my dearest friend, I could not have felt greater sorrow";
Source = "- Roy Brown, on viewing the body of Manfred von Richthofen";
}

Cite
{
Text = "I aim for the aircaft, not the man.";
Source = "- Francesco Baracca, 34 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "We had a strict code of honor: you didn't shoot down a cripple and you kept it a fair fight.";
Source = "- Wilfrid May, 13 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "The most important thing in fighting was shooting, next the various tactics in coming into a fight and last of all flying ability itself.";
Source = "- William Avery Bishop, 37 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "I fly close to my man, aim well and then of course he falls down.";
Source = "- Oswald Boelcke, 40 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "I scooted for our lines, sticky with fear. I vomited brandy and milk and bile all over my instrument panel. Yes, it was very romantic flying, people said later. Like a knight errant in the clean blue sky of personal combat.";
Source = "- W.W. Windstaff";
}

Cite
{
Text = "When attacking two seaters, kill the gunner first.";
Source = "- Manfed von Richthofen, 80 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "He half-rolled at once and I zoomed up over him and turned to fire again; but it was unecessary, as the right-hand wing had collapsed and the machine fell to pieces.";
Source = "- Arthur Cobby, 29 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "Of course, everyone knows the Major is mad. I don't think he was ever more happy in his life than when attacking those Huns.";
Source = "- Gwilym Hugh Lewis, speaking of Lionel Rees VC, 8 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "The most successful air fighter is the most aggressive; but at the same time, a cool head and a fine sense of judgement are essential.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "Those first four days of the battle were pretty hectic and we suffered quite a few casualties both in men and machines. I had to exchange my machine four times in four days...";
Source = "- John K Summers, 8 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "I was in no frame of mind for heroic combat at 300ft...";
}

Cite
{
Text = "The Camel was so sensitive. You had to fly it all the time. When I got used to the aircraft it came easy, and it was wonderful in a dogfight. You could really put it over the Hun in a hurry.";
Source = "- Alfred 'Nick' Carter, 17 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "We have been showing a Hun prisoner around. He was forced down into the sea and we picked him up. He seems quite a nice bloke and very friendly.";
Source = "- Capt. Augustine Francis Marlowe, RNAS";
}

Cite
{
Text = "Right in front of me was a Hun in a stall, nose up almost vertically with the machine scarcely moving. It was a lovely target...";
Source = "- Bogart Rogers, 6 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "At 10,000ft he levelled out, no doubt thinking I had given up the chase... He soon found he was wrong.";
Source = "- James Ira Jones, 36 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "I tried seeing what throwing out some remaining ammunition might achieve, to lighten my SE5a. Lo and behold, the very first drum hit and disintegrated the propellor of the following Pfalz, which had just commenced firing!";
Source = "- Hugh White, 4 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "We owe it to Boelcke's ability and his sense of duty that the enemy's numerical superiority did not become a crushing burden upon us.";
Source = "- General Von Hoeppner, German Army Air Service.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "The observer had climbed out of the machine and was sitting on the left wing, holding onto a strut. He stared up at me in terror and waved his hand. It was such a pitiful spectacle, that for a moment I hesitated to fire at him because he was completely defenceless.";
Source = "- Otto Parschau, 8 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "Several times, our two machines were so close to each other in the steep turn that I clearly saw the pilot extending his clenched fist at me.";
Source = "- Gustav Leffers, 9 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "A parachute could have saved him, there’s no doubt about that. What the hell is wrong with those callous dolts at Home that they won’t give them to us?";
}

Cite
{
Text = "They said it was horrible to watch him trying to decide whether to jump. He didn’t, and the machine and he were smashed to nothingness...";
Source = "- Arthur Gould Lee, 7 victories..";
}

Cite
{
Text = "Turning west towards Hazebrouck, I dived on a couple of staff cars, and one of them, an open topped tourer with red-tabbed officers, nearly went up a tree and finished in the ditch. I certainly put the gust up that lot. All good clean fun, and it makes these staff wallahs realise there are dangers, even in their kind of war.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "Why do I carry a Colt in the cockpit? For the reason we all do. Not to stage a one-man battle against a platoon of Boche soldiery if forced down on the other side - I'd be butchered instantly. No, it's the fear of being set alight. It's something nobody talks about, but it's at the back of everybody's mind, and each of us knows he couldn't take it. To be burned alive, however soon it's over, is the one thing we can't face. Better to use the gun and end it in a split second.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "Althaus flies very decently and goes after his man well - It is great fun to fly with him.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "It was a wonderful fight. He exploded marvellously";
Source = "- Kurt Wintgens, 19 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "At first, he was not pretentious. Later, after receiving many orders,he became a bit vain. But he was an extraordinary man, his weaknesses were harmless and he was always the dear comrade.";
Source = "- Ernst Sieverts, speaking of Max Immelmann.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "One evening I flew the new Halberstadt biplane - the first appearance of this type at the front. As it looks somewhat like an English BE, I managed to spring a complete surprise on an Englishman. I got within 50 metres of him unrecognised and gave his jacket a good dusting.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "I am now hard at work, and my first job is to get hold of everything I want. There are still many things lacking, above all, the most important thing - the machines!";
}

Cite
{
Text = "It is some consolation to me that I was brought down by Capt Boelcke, the greatest German airman, and that my life was preserved in a fashion that is almost miraculous. The next day, Boelcke invited me to his aerodrome and entertained me in his mess. I got a very fine impression of him both as a pilot and as a man, and this fight will remain the greatest memory of my life, even though it turned out badly for me.";
Source = "- Capt. Robert E Wilson, 32 Squadron RFC.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "My attack had brought me so near to him that his explosion splashed my machine with the oil that ran out";
}

Cite
{
Text = "The BE type had a special smell. The gases of the engine left a trail that seemed sweeter than a ladies' handkerchief to the air fighter!";
Source = "- Oswald Buddecke, 13 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "Suddenly - "clackity-clackity-clack!", and I looked round, and there were three dirty fat white, black and green Albatri diving on my tail. I have never been so frightened in my life!";
Source = "- Gwilym Hugh Lewis, 12 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "His tank ablaze, he pulled up almost directly in front of us, then whip-stalled to Eternity.";
Source = "- Harold Evans Hartney, 7 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "The English leader, with streamers on his machine, came right for me. I settled him with my first attack.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "His tank ablaze, he pulled up almost directly in front of us, then whip-stalled to Eternity.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "Two of them came at us headon, and the first one was von Richthofen. There wasn't a thing on that machine that wasn't red, and how he could fly!";
Source = "- Albert Edward Woodbridge (observer), 7 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "Cunnell held the FE on her course and so did the pilot of the all-red scout. With our combined speeds, we approached each other at 250 mph. I kept a steady stream of lead pouring into the nose of that machine. Then the Albatros pointed its nose down suddenly and passed under us. Cunnell banked and turned. We saw the all-red aeroplane slip into a spin. His engine was going full on, so I figured I had at least wounded him. As his head was the only part that wasn't protected by his motor, I thought that's where he was hit.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "Suddenly there was a blow to my head. I was hit! For a moment I was completely paralysed throughout my whole body. My hands dropped to the side, my legs dangled inside the fuselage. The worst part was that the blow had affected my optic nerve and I was completely blinded.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "I used to say that I did 100 hours on Camels before I could cope subconsiously with engine and flying controls while looking backwards.";
Source = "- Ronald Sykes, 6 victories.";
}

Cite
{
Text = "After my third attack he did the most stupid thing he could do - he fled.";
}

Dismiss
{
Text = "Gentelmen, proceed to your planes!";
}

Dismiss
{
Text = "Dismissed!";
}

Dismiss
{
Text = "Let's go!";
}

Dismiss
{
Text = "Take off is in thirty minutes. Good kuck!";
}

Dismiss
{
Text = "Good luck!";
}

Dismiss
{
Text = "Watch your back!";
}

Dismiss
{
Text = "Good luck, and good revs!";
}

Dismiss
{
Text = "Right. Let's get this over with.";
}

Dismiss
{
Text = "Good hunting";
}

Dismiss
{
Text = "Good luck to you.";
}

• Upvote 1

Guest deleted@30725

This is more like it! Makes me rather depressed to go and plod along with the current campaign. I miss awesome single player experiences. War Thunder clones.

I don't even know why I get xp or unlocks at the moment. Am I supposed to be a rookie who earns these unlocks as the pilot skill becomes better. Should I not start as a private or lesser rank? Could the unlocks not be done via mission type. I.e. You need to use this x weapon or upgrade to destroy this type of thing.

The quotes and historical info are great ideas. They're in everything but the idea had never crossed my mind.

One simple request from me is that the story-telling is done the same for both sides; I don't only want to see the struggle and involvement of one side, while the other side is kinda brushed aside, as it happens too often with the German viewpoint. 

So my ideal dream campaign would allow me to fly from both side, with both sides getting the same attention to detailed mission briefings, story development, and (if included) diary entries, without bias to only one side. 

Edited by RainMan
  • Upvote 3

Zak, if you are still following this thread, do you think this could be possible for the loading screen? 

RoF does this already with randomised quotes in the mission briefings in the career, so presumably the knowhow is there. 

Here's the ones I did for RoF as an example of the format.  If a similar list needed compiling for BoS, I'm sure the community would be happy to contribute.

Cite

{

Text = "It is a pity that my collection of trophies does not contain a single Russian.";

Source = "- Manfred von Richthofen, 80 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "I hate this game...";

Source = "- Albert Ball VC, 44 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "I put my bullets into the target as if I placed them there by hand.";

Source = "- René Fonck, 75 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "You must take the war to the enemy. You must attack and go on attacking, all the time.";

Source = "- Willy Coppens, 37 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.";

Source = "- Lord Kelvin, President of the Royal Society, 1895";

}

Cite

{

Text = "Always above, seldom on the same level, never underneath.";

Source = "- Edward Mannock, 73 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "As long as I live I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single-handed fought seven of us for ten minutes, and also put some bullets through all of our machines. His flying was wonderful, his courage magnificent, and in my opinion he is the bravest German airman whom it has been my privilege to see fight.";

Source = "- James McCudden, 57 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "I closed to within ten yards of the Hun, edged out of his slip-stream and drew nearer still... It was impossible to miss.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "I will be like Boelcke...";

Source = "- German pilots' motto";

}

Cite

{

Text = "While in the air you constantly turned your head, first to one side and then to the other, making sure that nothing was on your tail.";

Source = "- Raymond Collishaw, 61 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "If he had been my dearest friend, I could not have felt greater sorrow";

Source = "- Roy Brown, on viewing the body of Manfred von Richthofen";

}

Cite

{

Text = "I aim for the aircaft, not the man.";

Source = "- Francesco Baracca, 34 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "We had a strict code of honor: you didn't shoot down a cripple and you kept it a fair fight.";

Source = "- Wilfrid May, 13 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "The most important thing in fighting was shooting, next the various tactics in coming into a fight and last of all flying ability itself.";

Source = "- William Avery Bishop, 37 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "I fly close to my man, aim well and then of course he falls down.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "I scooted for our lines, sticky with fear. I vomited brandy and milk and bile all over my instrument panel. Yes, it was very romantic flying, people said later. Like a knight errant in the clean blue sky of personal combat.";

Source = "- W.W. Windstaff";

}

Cite

{

Text = "When attacking two seaters, kill the gunner first.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "He half-rolled at once and I zoomed up over him and turned to fire again; but it was unecessary, as the right-hand wing had collapsed and the machine fell to pieces.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "Of course, everyone knows the Major is mad. I don't think he was ever more happy in his life than when attacking those Huns.";

Source = "- Gwilym Hugh Lewis, speaking of Lionel Rees VC, 8 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "The most successful air fighter is the most aggressive; but at the same time, a cool head and a fine sense of judgement are essential.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "Those first four days of the battle were pretty hectic and we suffered quite a few casualties both in men and machines. I had to exchange my machine four times in four days...";

Source = "- John K Summers, 8 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "I was in no frame of mind for heroic combat at 300ft...";

}

Cite

{

Text = "The Camel was so sensitive. You had to fly it all the time. When I got used to the aircraft it came easy, and it was wonderful in a dogfight. You could really put it over the Hun in a hurry.";

Source = "- Alfred 'Nick' Carter, 17 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "We have been showing a Hun prisoner around. He was forced down into the sea and we picked him up. He seems quite a nice bloke and very friendly.";

Source = "- Capt. Augustine Francis Marlowe, RNAS";

}

Cite

{

Text = "Right in front of me was a Hun in a stall, nose up almost vertically with the machine scarcely moving. It was a lovely target...";

Source = "- Bogart Rogers, 6 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "At 10,000ft he levelled out, no doubt thinking I had given up the chase... He soon found he was wrong.";

Source = "- James Ira Jones, 36 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "I tried seeing what throwing out some remaining ammunition might achieve, to lighten my SE5a. Lo and behold, the very first drum hit and disintegrated the propellor of the following Pfalz, which had just commenced firing!";

Source = "- Hugh White, 4 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "We owe it to Boelcke's ability and his sense of duty that the enemy's numerical superiority did not become a crushing burden upon us.";

Source = "- General Von Hoeppner, German Army Air Service.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "The observer had climbed out of the machine and was sitting on the left wing, holding onto a strut. He stared up at me in terror and waved his hand. It was such a pitiful spectacle, that for a moment I hesitated to fire at him because he was completely defenceless.";

Source = "- Otto Parschau, 8 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "Several times, our two machines were so close to each other in the steep turn that I clearly saw the pilot extending his clenched fist at me.";

Source = "- Gustav Leffers, 9 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "A parachute could have saved him, there’s no doubt about that. What the hell is wrong with those callous dolts at Home that they won’t give them to us?";

}

Cite

{

Text = "They said it was horrible to watch him trying to decide whether to jump. He didn’t, and the machine and he were smashed to nothingness...";

Source = "- Arthur Gould Lee, 7 victories..";

}

Cite

{

Text = "Turning west towards Hazebrouck, I dived on a couple of staff cars, and one of them, an open topped tourer with red-tabbed officers, nearly went up a tree and finished in the ditch. I certainly put the gust up that lot. All good clean fun, and it makes these staff wallahs realise there are dangers, even in their kind of war.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "Why do I carry a Colt in the cockpit? For the reason we all do. Not to stage a one-man battle against a platoon of Boche soldiery if forced down on the other side - I'd be butchered instantly. No, it's the fear of being set alight. It's something nobody talks about, but it's at the back of everybody's mind, and each of us knows he couldn't take it. To be burned alive, however soon it's over, is the one thing we can't face. Better to use the gun and end it in a split second.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "Althaus flies very decently and goes after his man well - It is great fun to fly with him.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "It was a wonderful fight. He exploded marvellously";

}

Cite

{

Text = "At first, he was not pretentious. Later, after receiving many orders,he became a bit vain. But he was an extraordinary man, his weaknesses were harmless and he was always the dear comrade.";

Source = "- Ernst Sieverts, speaking of Max Immelmann.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "One evening I flew the new Halberstadt biplane - the first appearance of this type at the front. As it looks somewhat like an English BE, I managed to spring a complete surprise on an Englishman. I got within 50 metres of him unrecognised and gave his jacket a good dusting.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "I am now hard at work, and my first job is to get hold of everything I want. There are still many things lacking, above all, the most important thing - the machines!";

}

Cite

{

Text = "It is some consolation to me that I was brought down by Capt Boelcke, the greatest German airman, and that my life was preserved in a fashion that is almost miraculous. The next day, Boelcke invited me to his aerodrome and entertained me in his mess. I got a very fine impression of him both as a pilot and as a man, and this fight will remain the greatest memory of my life, even though it turned out badly for me.";

Source = "- Capt. Robert E Wilson, 32 Squadron RFC.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "My attack had brought me so near to him that his explosion splashed my machine with the oil that ran out";

}

Cite

{

Text = "The BE type had a special smell. The gases of the engine left a trail that seemed sweeter than a ladies' handkerchief to the air fighter!";

Source = "- Oswald Buddecke, 13 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "Suddenly - "clackity-clackity-clack!", and I looked round, and there were three dirty fat white, black and green Albatri diving on my tail. I have never been so frightened in my life!";

Source = "- Gwilym Hugh Lewis, 12 victories.";

}

Cite

{

}

Cite

{

Text = "The English leader, with streamers on his machine, came right for me. I settled him with my first attack.";

}

Cite

{

}

Cite

{

Text = "Two of them came at us headon, and the first one was von Richthofen. There wasn't a thing on that machine that wasn't red, and how he could fly!";

}

Cite

{

Text = "Cunnell held the FE on her course and so did the pilot of the all-red scout. With our combined speeds, we approached each other at 250 mph. I kept a steady stream of lead pouring into the nose of that machine. Then the Albatros pointed its nose down suddenly and passed under us. Cunnell banked and turned. We saw the all-red aeroplane slip into a spin. His engine was going full on, so I figured I had at least wounded him. As his head was the only part that wasn't protected by his motor, I thought that's where he was hit.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "Suddenly there was a blow to my head. I was hit! For a moment I was completely paralysed throughout my whole body. My hands dropped to the side, my legs dangled inside the fuselage. The worst part was that the blow had affected my optic nerve and I was completely blinded.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "I used to say that I did 100 hours on Camels before I could cope subconsiously with engine and flying controls while looking backwards.";

Source = "- Ronald Sykes, 6 victories.";

}

Cite

{

Text = "After my third attack he did the most stupid thing he could do - he fled.";

}

Dismiss

{

Text = "Gentelmen, proceed to your planes!";

}

Dismiss

{

Text = "Dismissed!";

}

Dismiss

{

Text = "Let's go!";

}

Dismiss

{

Text = "Take off is in thirty minutes. Good kuck!";

}

Dismiss

{

Text = "Good luck!";

}

Dismiss

{

Text = "Watch your back!";

}

Dismiss

{

Text = "Good luck, and good revs!";

}

Dismiss

{

Text = "Right. Let's get this over with.";

}

Dismiss

{

Text = "Good hunting";

}

Dismiss

{

Text = "Good luck to you.";

}

Good idea! I have randomized qoutes on our squad page (left column) and I really enjoy them.. new stuff almost everytime

Somehow I missed this thread.  The concepts laid out are all fantastic.  Well done Feathered_IV and others with suggestions.

This should definitely be THE sp campaign mode.

But, let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.  The current sp campaign could be made into a Quick Mission Generator for both sp and mp.  This would solve a big issue for those that want to generate a mission for mp without using the full mission editor.  It also would give sp players a chance to fly a separate mission outside of the new campaign as presented by Feathered_IV.

With the new SP Campaign outlined here, the existing QMB, a revised SP/MP Quick Mission Generator, Multiplayer and full mission editor, BOS would cover all bases making it flexible for growth and replayability.  These are the needed items to achieve longevity.

But, let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.  The current sp campaign could be made into a Quick Mission Generator for both sp and mp.

I kind of imagined Feathered's many suggestions as additions to the current SP mode (the loading screens for instance are entirely independent of whether the mission is part of a campaign or not. If a campaign system is made though, it will remove the possibility of flying as an "everyman", switching aerodromes, squadrons and sides at will. Perhaps it should conceptually be thought of as an overlay to the existing system, an overlay one can choose to fly with (or not). 

They need to come up with an arrangement where I can be in a squadron of aircraft and not always be in the lead . Have the AI lead the squadron to the target . It would increase the immersion a lot IMO . I mean , If I'm just learnimng the ropes , why would I be LEADING the squadron ?

They need to come up with an arrangement where I can be in a squadron of aircraft and not always be in the lead . Have the AI lead the squadron to the target . It would increase the immersion a lot IMO . I mean , If I'm just learnimng the ropes , why would I be LEADING the squadron ?

This was going to be my comment a while back but I never posted it.

I'm leading my flight but I don't have enough 'experience points' to have a rear gunner or (insert whatever unlock I don't have yet)

Doesn't make much sense.

I'm happy, but this inconsistency bothers me.

Plus following another aircraft in formation is often more fun IMO.

• Upvote 1

Like in RoF, we should also have some hospital days after being wounded

A reste button could be important, if you want to play the same chapter with a another type of aicraft.

Edited by GCN_Obelix

I am willing to pay $10-20 for Feathered to be hired as some form of consultant to this game, his input would make the SP much more interesting and relevant.

I am willing to pay $10-20 for Feathered to be hired as some form of consultant to this game, his input would make the SP much more interesting and relevant.

Oh, I'd do it for free.  ;)

Still playing this thing out in my head.   The main thing about this D-campaign is there is a heightened sense of consequences.  If you succeed and rise in the ranks, your responsibilities increase.  So does your workload (see post #30).  The career as commander is result driven, so if your unit fails to meet HQ's constant demands for successes you are finished.  It's like having two enemies.  The one you fight and the one just waiting to devour you if you should falter.

The idea is that you can't win the war singlehanded.  To accomplish missions you need to depend on your unit.  A bunch of noobs won't cut it.  They won't keep HQ off your back.   You will need to see them through the early stages until they can survive on their own and eventually contribute in a real way to the success of your missions.  You'll have to manage them to keep them effective and you'll learn their names and begin to identify with them in the process. 

Not everybody likes to play Dead is Dead.  But what if once you loose an AI squad mate he is lost forever?

Today I flew a mission west of Stalingrad hunting trains and vehicles near Karpovka.  My three best pilots with me.  Aces all.

A good bag too.  A Train and at least a dozen trucks.  Returning to base I lead the flight straight across the ruined city at low level.  Straight and level in arrowhead formation. 

How could I have been so careless?

20mm flak curved up from several directions at once.  Anna's LaGG streamed flame.  She screamed out as she turned over and plowed into the street below.  Victor Andreievich's aircraft exploded.  A second later I saw Vasilyev loose his tail and crash into a row of trees...

Twisting away from the tracer I manage to escape and return home alone, sick with remorse.

This game really likes to hit you in the chest too.  It doesn't hide your pilots in some sub menu.  It forces to confront your losses before you can even leave your aircraft.

Its with a very heavy heart that I have to click these names away forever:

tY94BaO.jpg

SjUmfeO.jpg

9jJUaZT.jpg

:(

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Upvote 3

Fine! She could come home again, few days later, after crossing enemy lines and after a short rest, could ride back his plane!!

Whatever, if you have not managed to destroy a target or succeed your mission, you could be a suspect, and you could also meet your politruck for a "long interview"... Traitor? Coward?

Edited by GCN_Obelix

Super job! I miss so much immersion... Usually i loved played solo campaign, even if there are no gift or reward at the end of the day, i was just happy to prepare and achieve the mission correctly. But with the BoS system and its lack of historical environment/immersion, i can' get fun.

I try few times and after some attempts i stopped opening the solo mod... and BoS itself. Now i'm waiting for doing coop mission with my squad and i pray for an mission editor. But if you manage to achieve what you shown there i could change a lot! Hope you will succeed! 

Best of luck, cheers!

Agreed

If he is from the same girt by sea that I live in, he would probably take beer, cartons preferable.

Yes, I'm following it and gathering the assets. You definitely have the talent, Feathered :)

• Upvote 5

agreeing with extreme_one on the "historical menues" aspect.
loving how you push the Campaign and squadron aspects, bringing life outside the cockpit to our attention.

You are putting thoughts into the aspects of pilot Morale and Pilot fatigue.

I would love to see you give information about Aircraft status in a similar way - what aircraft does your squadron have - are you a dive bomber squad, or a fighter squad?
The planes that are provided - what kind of equipment do they come with? How many of your LaGGs do have 23mm guns, how many do have 37mm guns? [regarding equiment that can not easily be swapped in or out of a plane]

at the beginning of the mission, you can chose 3 Pilots+yourself -> 4 planes: drag and drop Pilots into plane slots. Give them LaGGs with 23mm Cannon if hitting heinkels, give them LaGG with  37mm cannons when tankbusting?

Squadrons asset screen: see what planes are ready for duty; which ones need repairs?

I like the way you do this, please keep up your way of thinking.

ah and i like the menues you create! :salute:

Edited by Hawker_Typhoon

Thanks for the kind words ;)

Zak, if anything in these thumbnail concepts sounds useful or needs elaborating on, just let me know.

Agreed

If he is from the same girt by sea that I live in, he would probably take beer, cartons preferable.

If =SE= could get $500 for a server in three days, I am sure we could get $500 for Feathered in two.

That would provide him with more than enough beer for the rest of the week and he could finish an improved singleplayer campaign by...let's say next Friday?

Edited by Afwastus

Great stuff, Feathered! Your ideas + BoS = the absolute dream SP campaign

Thanks for this thread Feathered :)

If I may, on a gameplay note - if there comes a time when we have a system for tracking/managing the squadrons pilots I suggest a small 'meta' game when wingman are shot down. If circumstances allowed, one would circle the squad mates parachute until safe touch down so as to relay their position to command. The tasks completion could be acknowledged by a radio call back to base with the location, and could improve the chances of the pilot making it back to the airfield to fly again.

Kind regards

Albino

Holy Sh@t! I have no idea how I missed this. This is EXACTLY what the SP campaign needs! Seriously freakin sign me up!

Have just seen this now; glad you bumped it Possumkiller!

If this - or something like it, as far as is economically feasible -  were implemented, then BoS would carve out a place in sim history as truly having one of the all-time classic SP campaign systems.

Not just the ability to fly as pilots in historical squadrons; but the flight-leader role fully fleshed out, so you really feel you are are a team leader and that it's what the people you lead, mentor and protect achieve that matters. And lots of imaginative and immersive personal touches and nods to history, without the creative writing becoming an end in itself.

When the devs spoke of having plans to improve the SP campaign over the next 6-12 months, I hope Feathered_IV's concepts, as far as practicable, ARE these plans. They should be.

Edited by 33lima