Sign in to follow this  
4brkfast

Multiplayer suggestions

As usual, I am impressed with the gameplay. BoS may not be geared as 'visually stimulating' first, but it is certainly a beautiful game - this secondary to the way the aircraft fly. Each of them are extremely fun, possess a lot of character and are compelling enough to fly over and over again.

The last few days flying, it's literally been for me almost two years and I have a lot of rust to knock off, that being said flying around with Dhyran and Strat we had a few things we were discussing.

1) On the map add grid references. Some of the servers give you your personal location, which is fine, but for the sake of friendly rendezvous I suggest adding numbers or letters on the vertical and horizontal grid squares on the top and side.

In an attempt to best explain this, over the top of the map are letters. A-Z and given it's a large play area, AA, AB, AC etc etc. On the left or right side of the map numbers. So instead of saying, I am near XYZ Field(and forcing a player unfamiliar with the map search for a town, field or whatever) the person could say, I am at grid 1A.

2) Darken the aircraft. This game does spotting very well, but leaves a little bit to be desired in my opinion. This could be my two year-long rust showing it's ugly face, but I find spotting a little too difficult than real life would actually dictate. After all, I'm sure most people who drive a car could agree, especially if you have good eyes, I can spot the type, color, and direction of a car from at least three miles away. And my eyes don't come with a zoom function. A tall order, something very difficult to get right(this is why a good icon system is a must, as not every player, if not most players will not want 'no icon' gameplay, whether due to physical or hardware limitations or just for personal gameplay/fun preference).

I stress good icons. Icons under the airplane, that don't show the player name, that fade out over time and cannot be seen through the aircraft because I want as many players here as possible. This is just my experience. The number of players that want and will play with a good icon system outnumber those that want a 'hardcore' system by at least x10. The last game I played, the 'no icon' events were generally unpopular compared to those with short range, basic icons. It lets the player focus on tactics, flying and fun rather than straining themselves to find a few pixels on a screen. The game is so beautiful and detailed in landscape that it actually makes spotting more difficult than in life.

The last game I played is proof, even to this day and as I type this or you read this. Players will suffer crap graphics and unhistorical aircraft for good gameplay, a good icon system and an ability to coordinate attacks/whatever over mass multi-player numbers. If you can manage both? A pretty game -with- excellent gameplay? Well sir, you have yourself a game and community that will literally be here for decades. 

3) I'm fairly certain this is already in the works or on the list of 'things to add'. An in-game VOX system. So I can talk to the 109/Yak/whatever flying next to me, obviously, the aircraft on the side you're flying for.

4) The VOX suggestion brings me to this. Aircraft identification numbers and letters. Something the player can add on their airplane to identify themselves, such as they had in life(tho I'm not sure the pilot could actually add this themselves, but this is our benefit as virtual pilots to add some personality). 2-5 letters and numbers on the tail of the airplane, something the player can add on their own. So squadmates, friends or just random friendlies can identify as 'this player or that player'.

Thanks for reading.

• Upvote 1

I stress good icons. Icons under the airplane, that don't show the player name, that fade out over time and cannot be seen through the aircraft because I want as many players here as possible. This is just my experience. The number of players that want and will play with a good icon system outnumber those that want a 'hardcore' system by at least x10. The last game I played, the 'no icon' events were generally unpopular compared to those with short range, basic icons. It lets the player focus on tactics, flying and fun rather than straining themselves to find a few pixels on a screen. The game is so beautiful and detailed in landscape that it actually makes spotting more difficult than in life.

No.

Don't force icons on people who don't want them, that's what normal mode is for.  Although I do agree that planes could be a bit darker, especially against the sky. 

• Upvote 1

The last game I played is proof, even to this day and as I type this or you read this. Players will suffer crap graphics and unhistorical aircraft for good gameplay, a good icon system and an ability to coordinate attacks/whatever over mass multi-player numbers. If you can manage both? A pretty game -with- excellent gameplay? Well sir, you have yourself a game and community that will literally be here for decades.

I know what last game you played, and I think the issue there was the non-icon spotting mechanics were absolutely atrocious with hamfisted LOD models that were created with literally zero consideration that the game would be played with a no icons mode. This is not the case here in BoS. After a couple sessions in BoS you can spot aircraft from extremely far distances when you realize what you need to look for.

3) I'm fairly certain this is already in the works or on the list of 'things to add'. An in-game VOX system. So I can talk to the 109/Yak/whatever flying next to me, obviously, the aircraft on the side you're flying for.

Oh man, this one boggles my mind so much...I'm wondering why a company like TeamSpeak hasn't gotten into the game development sector and provided integrated communications into games. What you're describing should be the out-of-box standard already. Right now, players just use an immersion breaking "God-voice" type system that is all hearing, all knowing, and completely takes out the communications aspects of various games that should be an integral part in all sims (flight and others alike).

Can you imagine how cool it would be to tinker with your in-cockpit radio and search for your wingman's channels just like you'd join a channel in TS today? Even cooler, say you get shot up and now your radio is in-op because it's full of holes...or your battery got kerploded. Now you're in a tight spot and there's actually a reason to use those hand signals that are in the game.

TeamSpeak is sitting on a goldmine that has only been tapped by various small pockets of modders that have created things like ACRE for the ArmA series or TARS for DCS: A-10. This sort of integration should be in ALL games!

+1 for bringing up this idea.

A good icon system is fine for those who want it but must be an option excluded from "expert" settings.  Many of us have been flying without icons for years and having them forced on us would be the end of flight simming for me.  Anyway I am sure it is not going to happen.

Having an in-game RT system is a great idea though - team speak is OK, but is vulnerable - some people have very poor RT security..... ;)

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this suggestion,

Whilst I am not a fan of an XP system of unlocks, I think that a system that rewards players is a good idea.

I only fly German planes (and mostly the 109, occasionally a He111 if I feel like blowing stuff up :) ) , so unfortunately I can only offer suggestions for the ME109, and to a small degree the FW190.

I think a rewards system that allows players to improve their plane would be a much better idea, for example:

* From what I have read FACTORY ME109's from the F series onwards didn't require any rudder input to keep the plane flying straight, because the designers had given the vertical stabilizer an "air foil" that counter acted the effect of the prop/ engine torque.

Since the ME109 you get in the game is clearly not factory fresh you need to apply rudder (or aileron depending) to keep the plane flying straight (unless it is due to the plane not been modeled correctly....)

Maybe after achieving how every many kills or points you can "upgrade to a new air-frame", which would in fact be historically accurate in that the most experienced pilots etc always got the best (newest) planes in the Squadron, whilst the newbies or Novices ( :cool: ) always got the "old crates"

* Engines, quite simply, you can "upgrade" to a new engine that has close to the average amount of power (or maybe for a bit of randomness, some better and others more average).

Don't get me wrong, I def don't want the game to turn into war thunder (pay to repair your plane if you didn't accumulate enough points to repair any damage done to your plane or you have to wait...), but I believe people need to have a rewards scheme.

So the planes we have now are the "minimum spec", after you upgrade the air-frame and or the engine, they, over time revert to the "minimum spec"

They had reward schemes during the war itself, some people may want an online ranking system that shows them with all their medals and stats and whatever else (which is a good idea until people find a way to hack it.....), but I think improving their "ride" should also be included, because it is actually historical.

~S~

Novice

Edited by novicebutdeadly

Lol idk why people think he played wt or is talking about tat.. he is talking about aces high or atleast tats wat I thought he was talking about and Btw all his points are valid imo