Sign in to follow this  
BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 29

Hi everyone!

Today's blog note will be brief, but I haven't come empty-handed.

Status report: everything goes as planned. Albert and Jason are working on GamesCom, Cologne at this very moment, and they'll definitely have some story for us to tell the next week.

In general, our plans for September are promising and we won't let you get bored.

Meanwhile, IL2BOS is developing and growing, and to prove this I'm sharing with you this pack of screenshots with a long-awaited Pe-2 on them. Meet, Peshka :)

And by the way, all the most recent screenshots can now be found on a special page of our cozy website here: http://il2sturmovik.com/media/

post-7704-0-01279800-1377246749.jpg post-7704-0-02446300-1377246769.jpg post-7704-0-49021800-1377246775.jpg post-7704-0-61037900-1377246785.jpg post-7704-0-73368100-1377246800.jpg post-7704-0-77913300-1377246805.jpg post-7704-0-78502600-1377246792.jpg post-7704-0-99623400-1377246758.jpg

Full news

You can ask new questions in this thread

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

• Upvote 3

Great stuff. The Peshka was an unexpected delight in the original Il-2 series. Something like the soul of a Ju-88, with the heart of an A6M.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the screenies!

I'm asking myself if those very marked, very pronounced, panel-lines aren't giving the plane a look that is a bit too cartoony? It is an artistic choice, of course. I just think it is pulling a bit too much away from a photo-realistic view. Reminds me a bit of the early Neoqb planes we were shown in screenies before the release of RoF. Later, the RoF planes default skin became much more photo-realistic.

Nice! Good work :) thanks!

I wonder why the trees always look so green-ish... in your RL video you did from your flight with the SU's, they very much looked brwon from above (winter- no leaves, except of fir trees, of course).

And since they have no shadows, they look a bit artificial.

@Freycinet As soon as BoS lounches we'll be having enough photo realistic textures floating around, no worries :)

Edited by JG4Sputnik

Nice looking planes :biggrin: Can anyone tell me what the lines in the il-2 cockpitglass is good for?

Edited by HenFre

Nice looking planes :biggrin: Can anyone tell me what the lines in the il-2 cockpitglass is good for?

It's the gunsight :)

Later models were equipped with reflector sights.

It's the gunsight :)

Later models were equipped with reflector sights.

I believe its a cockpit glass heating / deicing

Edited by I/JG27_Zimmi

I believe its a cockpit glass heating / deicing

It might serve that purpose too, I don't know, but the first versions of the Il-2 had a very cude gunsight as seen here in Il-2:

• Upvote 1

I can be wrong in my english but it is the junction(seams) of bulletproof glass(100% right info)

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-2-0-79338900-1376041061.jpg

http://www.airpages.ru/dc/vv2.jpg

http://crimso.msk.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft19941-5.htm and for bonus some facts about aircraft survivability

Edited by Rigel

Niiice! I love the IL-2 but its so great to have the Pe-2 right out of the box. I've spent quite a lot of time flying it in IL-2 since it was added to the game. Such a potent and useful aircraft.

The Pe-2 looks beautiful and I can't wait to fly it in IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad.  Just finished reading Petlyakov Pe-2 "Peshka" by Peter C. Smith (Crowood Press Aviation Series, 2003).  Probably the best book about the Pe-2 available in the West and I learned a lot from it.  The Soviets produced over 11,000 variants during the war.  The Shturmovik has overshadowed it in both Soviet and Western publications, but the Peshka made significant contributions to the VVS in its dive bomber battlefield interdiction role, especially in the 1944 and 1945 offensives.

I found this interesting information on the IL-2 gunsight in my copy of IL-2 Stormovik (not a typo) In Action by Hans-Heiri Stapfer (Aircraft Number 155 Squadron Signal Publications): "Late production single-seat IL-2s had the PBP-1 or PBP-1A gun sight replaced by a very rudimentary VV-1 gun sight.  The VV-1 sight was introduced on single seat IL-2s for the first time August of 1942, just a few weeks before the production switched to the two seat IL-2M (note: that's an inaccurate Western designation, the Soviets only used "Series" numbers to differentiate the different types).  The PBP-1 gunsight had proven to be very unpopular with service pilots because it had a tendency to cause serious head injuries in the event of a crash landing.  As a result, it was replaced with the VV-1 aiming device which consisted of three aiming circles drawn on the diamond shaped area of the armor glass windshield.  The external front sight post for the PBP-1 guns sight was retained and positioned further to the rear.  The VV-1 gun sight became the standard gun sight on two seat IL-2Ms and all later two seat versions."

Stapfer's book contains other inaccuracies, such as the description of an IL-2T Torpedo Carrying Variant that other authors like Yefim Gordon and Dmitry Khazanov said never existed.  But Stapfer's description of the IL-2 gun sight is probably correct.

• Upvote 2

Great update, nice screens, nice winter landscape (said by one who usually hates winter scenarios)

The overall graphic level of the sim is starting to really catch me!

I can't wait to try her out! A real beauty!

Does anyone know what version with what armament we are getting?

Series 84 (1942) I think..

ACES!!!!   :rolleyes: 

Edited by Blitzen

@ HenFre, the crosses in the cockpitglass from the Il2 came from the different ProtectorGlassParts . The construct it in more parts so when you get hit by a shrapnell or bullet only a part of it gets broken instad of the whole window. The effect is enormous because you can continue the flight. Great russians , what ;)

Hi Zac, how are you? thanks for the update.

I never noticed how much the pe2 is a beautiful aircraft. Now I see, thanks to your screenshoots

One of my favourites!! What a beauty, the cockpit is great, please put some screenshots of the cockpit.

Series 84 (1942) I think..

Series 87 and 110 from the front page. ;)

Early Autumn is getting closer. Have the Premium edition ordered!

Great looking pics. Are all the trees individual or are the bigger woodlots set as a larger single unit? Love the look, wonder about their effect on frame rate?

Google doesn't seem to be my friend today. Does anyone have the specifications for these two marks?

I can't find anything readily available either. My recollection is that the earlier series is likely the one with less armor protection and therefore less weight and a higher top speed. The later series had more armor and equipment but with a lowered speed. The final major production series added more powerful engines bringing the performance back up.

Superb modeling of a beautiful aircraft, it's all looking very promising.

I hope that the full mission builder is as beautiful with the ease and simplicity

of the original il2 FMB then all will be well.

I never did try the ROF FMB but from what I have been told by others it was

a complete disaster and that could be a killer for mission builders.

Great work so far,  ten out of ten!

cheers.

Ibis