Sign in to follow this  
Death1111

Hey guys check this out- sim cockpits (quite cheap)

http://www.pagnianimports.com.au/racing-simulator-cockpit/flight/flight-simulator-cockpit-gaming-chir.html

When you get to the site go to top left and click on simulators and then flight.

Might ask my wife to get me one for Christmas, anyone have any experience with these? Are they worth it and do they add to immersion?

Edited by Death1111

There are a lot of quality racing seats you can buy...but they tend to be more suited for racing than for flight sims.  Racing sims in general involved much more physical/abrupt actions.  Many steering wheels (even my lowly G27) put out a lot of force feedback --- they can flip or wobble small tables.  In addition pedals with increased springs mean you're pushing awfully hard on the surfaces.

This is mostly why racing sims end up with set-ups like this.  I do believe one would be nice for a flight sim, and if you can afford a hydraulic set that'd be awesome.  I believe they're less "necessary" simply because you aren't working with quite so much physical force.

I run a simple $150 fold-away stand for my G27 which holds the wheel/shifter/pedals on a metal frame.  I can slide it under my desk and attach it to my chair.  So I support pursuing a cockpit, but look around a bit.  Playseat etc. all sell really good stuff.

JagdNeun brought up the gold piece! to my eyes it is really the best starter you can make as a DIY cockpit. It is pretty cheap (under 80$ + an afternoon of building) ridiculously easy to assemble and pretty much all you need to feel into a real plane.

I personnally like the fact it is compatible with my office chair, so the girlfriend don't have to strap herself into an ejector seat when checking facebook or email on my desktop. 

so definitely a good investment that I don't regret at all. I always wanted some of the Playseat or Obutto setups, but the price is way too high for my budget and RD stuff is a great little project