BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 80

Hi Everybody,

It so happened that Friday dev blog is now the most special part of the entire project able to distract you from both game and forum wars. That’s why I’d like be ahead of your questions about the releases date - you’ll know everything next week. Meanwhile you can keep on playing, fighting and bombing while early access is steadily approaching the release date.

Some may have noticed that it’s been a few days since we’ve finally received a new Oculus RIft. It’s more than the freshest version of the device - it is the public version, just like the one you can buy officially. The gadget is finally capable of headtracking, like TrackIR or others. So there’s a rather small task that remains to be completed - the final compatibility check. We’re now sure that Battle of Stalingrad will be released with complete compatibility with Oculus RIft VR.

Speaking of today’s updates and improvements - yes, we have some for you. Firstly, it is now possible to set up convergence for fixed armament. The screenshots below show what it looked like visually. On the left picture - horizontal convergence at 200m, on the right pic - vertical convergence at 800.

post-7693-0-38832500-1411747107_thumb.jp        post-7693-0-28786700-1411747125_thumb.jp

Well, of course you we were flying and fighting without this setting for almost a year. But we were been listening and I it was decided to implement this minor but still useful feature. Convergence for turret guns is going to be added later.

Note that all you’ll be given only tracer ammo for the machineguns for the up-coming week. We need it this way to properly check this new system and make sure no bugs interfere.

Other changes include only interface and AI improvements with only one exception for Bf 109 update (manual radiator control was fixed, animations added as well). Update log includes:

• HUD gauges will work in accordance with the actual difficulty setting;
  • technochat has been significantly improved with bug fixes and adding new previously missing messages;
  • it’s now possible to use the “Engine limiter” option in the Normal difficulty preset;
  • dynamical markers on the map can now be turned off along with the HUD gauges with the “i” key;
  • new GUI element added - an aiming helper for rockets.

That’d be all for today’s update. The weekend is coming up, which means that a lot of exciting flights are awaiting, multi player battles included - and again I use a chance to say thanks to those who runs the BOS MP servers during early access. We’ll limit the number of extra dservers from now on and  until the release date so we could have enough players on the official battlegrounds. But anyway what we have now in the server roster is more than enough.

And another thanks goes to players who make and publish their IL2BOS fan-videos. Here are three recently published videos that we liked most this time - dear makers, you have our respect!

Full news

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 4

A mile at a time.  :salute:

Seems good and all the changes noted were very much anticipated by all of us, some more than others.

Edited by =LD=Hethwill_Khan

Convergance at least we got it. Good.

What about flight model changes expecially Fw 190 poor climb rate, acceleration, negative pitch flick roll etc??  What about roll rates correction in rest planes like LAgg3 and LA5? What about maximum safe dive speeds?  About gears and flaps damages at high speeds?

Edited by Kwiatek
  • Upvote 5

Starting to spare some money for Oculus Rift

:)

Hm... just checked a local store and pre-order price of HD kit is just €286,91

Hmmm...., hmmmm...

Christmas is nearer and nearer.

Edited by ST_ami7b5
  • Upvote 1

Great news about Oculus Rift support coming soon, makes me actualy excited about the release now.

Zak could you clarify , did you get Development Kit 2 , or a newer prototype.

'It’s more than the freshest version of the device - it is the public release version, just like the one you can buy officially.'

Are you talking about DK2 or some other prototype/consumer version?

Also , will we get OR support before the release of BoS (I presume BoS won't be released for another couple of weeks at least) , for testing purposes ?

S.

What about flight model changes expecially Fw 190 poor climb rate, acceleration, negative pitch flick roll etc??  What about roll rates correction in rest planes like LAgg3 and LA5? What about maximum safe dive speeds?  About gears and flaps damages at high speeds?

Nothing changed this time, just FYI.

Zak could you clarify , did you get Development Kit 2 , or a newer prototype.

Dev kit 2, right.

Earlier on our Insta - http://instagram.com/p/tIF-2ES6di

• Upvote 1

Starting to spare some money for Oculus Rift

:)

Hm... just checked a local store and pre-order price of HD kit is just €286,91

Hmmm...., hmmmm...

Christmas is nearer and nearer.

Better wait for CV1. I mean it's already awesome, but you will have problems to spot far away enemies....if you have the money, go ahead :)

Devs: Could you give us a first impression about the DK2 with BoS please?

Edited by Schmalzfaust
  • Upvote 1

Great news, great vids, great sim, nothing more to say.

Cheers.

Edited by keeno

Better wait for CV1. I mean it's already awesome, but you will have problems to spot far away enemies....if you have the money, go ahead :)

OK, I'll (have to) wait as it's not possible to pre-order ATM.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the reply Zak , and sorry for my previous negativity regarding Oculus implementation in BoS. I was simply too impatient, I have my Rift almost two months now and every day was looking at it sitting on my desk , wondering when will I be able to use it in BoS.

Looks like this day will come sooner then I expected. With a recent presentation of new Rift prototype , and very positive opinions from all who had a chance to test it , I am convinced that Consumer Version of Rift and BoS will be a fantastic experience.

In a year from now I will be playing BoS in Consumer Version Oculus Rift , very exciting. Im also convinced that a much improved (over DK2) version of Oculus will be bought by many simmers , possibly even by people who Today swear that they will never play sims with something strapped to their face :).

Haven't tried it yet actually. Technically it has the same resolution as the 1,5 version that has been gathering dust for several months after implementation. So now I expect it to have head tracking (obviously) which should add tto the immersion. It's a great, absolutely original experience however I don't see it be used for dog fight - fullHD is far not enough to identify - even notice - aerial targets.

• Upvote 3

Haven't tried it yet actually. Technically it has the same resolution as the 1,5 version that has been gathering dust for several months after implementation. So now I expect it to have head tracking (obviously) which should add tto the immersion. It's a great, absolutely original experience however I don't see it be used for dog fight - fullHD is far not enough to identify - even notice - aerial targets.

I am sure that we will be able to use DK2 for dogfighting on Duel server. With couple of guys here having Rifts we can organise Oculus Rift duels , possibly with icons , this way we can still have loads of fun waiting for Consumer Version , which should be more usable in flying on Expert settings.

S.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of bombers - there's no doubt I'd recommend it for Pe or He pilots. It's so awesome to feel your presence inside of it!

Yeah, hopefully final version will be even better and allow us to fight more effectively as fighters.

• Upvote 2

absolutely original experience however I don't see it be used for dog fight - fullHD is far not enough to identify - even notice - aerial targets.

Wha wha Whaadayamean by that??? Please elaborate...

Great Thanks guys! Zak, I've been running a Forum on What you guys may do after you have made IL2 BoS, People have had many opinions and suggestions. If your team could have a read of what people are saying and maybe even comment on what your plans are for the future? I understand it is a bit early. But it would be great! Thanks Guys!

Daamn RuNike's trailer is awesome! Best one yet, in my opinion (sorry N8! ;) ). Original and fresh, 'love it. Worthy of a TV ad, I think.

Just an idea: There could be servers that only accept players using Oculus Rift. Should be possible with OR SDK to check that server-side.

• Upvote 3

Nothing changed this time, just FYI.

Dev kit 2, right.

Earlier on our Insta - http://instagram.com/p/tIF-2ES6di

Want you work on the FM´s befor they come out?

Have you noticet that we have many Diskusion over this bad 190 ,109,La5,and yak FM´s?

Edited by JG4_Widukind

The resolution of Dev Kit 2 is lower than one may find acceptable for certain purposes. Such purposes include distant target identification - you simply may not notice an enemy.

Just an idea: There could be servers that only accept players using Oculus Rift. Should be possible with OR SDK to check that server-side.

In fact, it's a great idea.

• Upvote 5

The resolution of Dev Kit 2 is lower than one may find acceptable for certain purposes. Such purposes include distant target identification - you simply may not notice an enemy.

In fact, it's a great idea.

It really is just to low. But with Icons on its a blast!!! (experience in DCS)

This is all great news, your team continues to impress by working their asses off towards release. Hope you've got a big launch party planned for the big day with lots of booze followed by vacation, I'm sure your guys could use plenty of both!

Zak , any info on possible DK2 support in Rise of Flight? I was flying Airco D.H.2 on Falling Aces server, Fantasy Island map , and I was thinking to myself that this would be great in Oculus Rift , RoF has so many great planes with beautiful cockpits.

Convergance at least we got it. Good.

:salute: x1000!!!

I thought low rez would trigger bigger 'spots' for far-away planes, as it does in most other flight sims. But maybe BoS avoids that to combat 'low-rez cheaters' that fly in 800x600 online to spot enemies sooner? Maybe for OR the coding for far-off objects could be slightly modified?

- Thanks for the update!

I'm stoked for convergence. I think it was a more pressing need than FM tweaks. Is the Fw HORIZONTAL convergence implemented as well? I could live with the 500m fixed but the horizontal issue was extremely frustrating.

Thank you for the adjustability. I fear, in a good way, it just made good pilots dangerous and experten supremely lethal.

Edited by HerrMurf

I was wondering the same thing.

It'd be very interesting to hear that your guess was the exact same reason.

Having a DK2 my guess is that "spot the dot" will be possible, Identification however will require you to be much closer to the target then on a monitor where you have more pixels and zoom. Typically you can't zoom-in in VR.

Zak, would if be possible to add some sort of "binoculars" zoom or single stage zoom to DK2 implementation. Or potentially a LOD system that exaggerates the planes size at longer distances for Oculus users.

Edited by driftaholic

Eh what ? FullHD standard LCD monitor is not enough for competitive dogfights ? or it's only not enough in OR?

Looking forward to the convergence adjustments as well.  Keep pumping out those awesome videos guys....that's what's going to sell IL-2, BOS more than words...

• Upvote 1

Speaking of bombers - there's no doubt I'd recommend it for Pe or He pilots. It's so awesome to feel your presence inside of it!

Yeah, hopefully final version will be even better and allow us to fight more effectively as fighters.

From what ive read the crescent bay porototype must be same sort of revelation as the DK1 was back in the day. The presence must be absolutely breathtaking.

Rumors say the CV1 will be going to public beta at the beginning of 2015. Ill pull the trigger day one:)

From what ive read the crescent bay porototype must be same sort of revelation as the DK1 was back in the day. The presence must be absolutely breathtaking.

Rumors say the CV1 will be going to public beta at the beginning of 2015. Ill pull the trigger day one:)

Me too.

;)