Sign in to follow this  
Imur6

Is there any tip to keep tracking enemy?

When enemy airplane passed by my cockpit, Is there any easy way to keep tracking it? I found Padlock option in the setting menu, but seems it won't working well.

If you have the money then TrackIR (or an alternative head tracker) is awesome for keeping an eye on enemy. Oculus VR isn't quite ready yet. On the cheaper side, a joystick with a hat switch may help (though that can be hard to use). If you want to hack something: tiny joysticks from xbox controllers make for great head movement as they snap back to center by default. Some players fly using the mouse or a trackpad in their spare hand (usually left) for managing view. Hope this helps. :)

The padlock works fine, but if you wanna jump online, you have to learn to fly without it, since no server allows it.

The padlock works fine, but if you wanna jump online, you have to learn to fly without it, since no server allows it.

Oh? Can you give me a short lesson for using padlock? Even I click the padlock button, noting happens. 

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct, as I have hardly used padlock at all in BoS, but in RoF it works like this: You have to have the enemy in sight (that means inside your field of vision to padlock it). When in the cockpit, you have to keep the target visible, meaning it can't be obstructed by the cockpit for too long or you'll lose it. If it works differently in BoS, please someone correct me.

Also make sure, that you have the padlock option checked in difficulty.

Maneouver with your opponent. Keep it in front of you, always on the 9 to 3 o'clock area. PAdlock and trackir stuff is great but if you give it a split second he will get out of your control and you lose it. IT is more of an exercise in practice than a mechanism to help you out.

Fresh sim player here.

I don't wanna say that TrackIR is everything, especially since I'm sure there must be people that do not use it and probably have more success than I have. However.. I just acquired one and I must say, everything changed - can't really see myself playing without it now. If you can afford one then I'd say go foward.

If you can't afford you gotta find a group of tools that you feel comfortable using it (ADWS keys, mouse view, hat switch's, freetrack, etc). In the end however there's no magic radar trick (although IR is somewhat close to it and Oculus will probably end up being boderline cheating :biggrin: ), it is all about getting used to a system and practicing with it

Edited by Valok

pre-combat

---------------

- Track IR or Free Track

- Study the mission to predict opponent flight path between opponent home base and mission location.

in-combat

-------------

- Track IR

-  Practice & Experience ... there have many time you lose sigh of  an opponent but if you play a lot.... you can predict his next move 

so you can track him again and again.

Edited by Karost

Imur6- In answer to your question, to use padlock you must be in custom mode.

As well as ticking the box in settings. :) 

Edited by Endy

I did just fine online and off without TrackIR for a long time in the old IL2 just using the hat swtich with no padlock. Even flying against people using TrackIR

I wasn't giving anything up - at least of my kill ratio was any indication. So no, it isn't necessary.

It wasn't until RoF with it's frenetic, rapid changes in direction and tight circles that the hat switch 

wasn't working for me anymore. Only then did I finally purchase a TrackIR and now even with BOS I wouldn't want to go back to the hat swtich. I could however

go back to using the hat switch and do well - just not with RoF.

Recommend TrackIR.  pain in the pocket originally, but you will not regret it.

Having said that MK MR X does not use TrackIR and he is a super ace! - with thousands of practice hours I suggest.

Track IR is essential for any modern flight sim.

Is WW2 modern? For me it is  and the Track IR is a wonderful tool in the simulations were there are no help from the radar in the planes!  And visual distances is the distance of spotting, combat, kill. :o:

Tracking systems are a must but u do not have to shell out on track IR. I made a system that use the freetrack software for around $20-30s and works at about 99% of the efficiency as track IR.

All u need is three wide angle(very Important) IR LEDs about $1 each. A PS3 camera that needs to be slightly modified with floppy/video/magnetic tape disk material $5 second hand. The previous + wire, a switch, hat, solder and something to make a frame out of (I used cheap plastic tubing but u could use anything really, wood, metal ...) about $5.

The hardest, most expensive and most customized aspect is how u power the system. U can use rechargeable batteries (a lot of people use mobile phone batteries as they are light and easy to recharge + hold charge well). I happened to have an arduino dev board that plugs in to USB and allows me to program the correct voltages (NOTE hacking a USB directly is not advisable as it will be a higher voltage than required, only attempt this if u really know what u are doing). $10-20.

For more information and precises information on how to build, what parts to buy, ect vist http://www.free-track.net/english/

Also there are many videos on utube that detail how to mod the cam, how to use the software etc  

Tracking systems are a must but u do not have to shell out on track IR. I made a system that use the freetrack software for around $20-30s and works at about 99% of the efficiency as track IR.

All u need is three wide angle(very Important) IR LEDs about $1 each. A PS3 camera that needs to be slightly modified with floppy/video/magnetic tape disk material $5 second hand. The previous + wire, a switch, hat, solder and something to make a frame out of (I used cheap plastic tubing but u could use anything really, wood, metal ...) about $5.

The hardest, most expensive and most customized aspect is how u power the system. U can use rechargeable batteries (a lot of people use mobile phone batteries as they are light and easy to recharge + hold charge well). I happened to have an arduino dev board that plugs in to USB and allows me to program the correct voltages (NOTE hacking a USB directly is not advisable as it will be a higher voltage than required, only attempt this if u really know what u are doing). $10-20.

For more information and precises information on how to build, what parts to buy, ect vist http://www.free-track.net/english/

Also there are many videos on utube that detail how to mod the cam, how to use the software etc  

I'd certainly endorse the above - it's what I did for a couple of years.  The only caveat I'd add is that I "had" to move to TIR 5 because the PS3 Eye driver didn't work on my new system.  Having spent time with both these tracking solutions, I have to admit that the expensive option is the better, but that the "free" one is still a big step up from the hat-switch.  I'm not saying it will make you a better pilot, but I think you will enjoy sims more.

Id say it doesn't make u better in the sense that ur hand flying skill wont change. But it dramatically increases situation awareness/tracking which on hardcore is basically what its about over flying skills, so in away it does make u a better pilot.

the x box controller is almost perfect. Perfect for rudder and view. Needs practice for stick, view & zoom. try it (invert vertical view controls).