Sign in to follow this  
mac2

Is my Microsoft FFB2 Stick broken?

Just got a FFB2 stick to try with BOS and having a few setup problems (note I have already set FFB to 100% in the options) - have assigned the axis and it looks like it is working ingame - but i get reasonable FFB effect when I fire the guns but it feels weak flying - is there something wrong with my setup or my stick or does the game just have weak FFB effects?

Just got a FFB2 stick to try with BOS and having a few setup problems (note I have already set FFB to 100% in the options) - have assigned the axis and it looks like it is working ingame - but i get reasonable FFB effect when I fire the guns but it feels weak flying - is there something wrong with my setup or my stick or does the game just have weak FFB effects?

No, its actually very well done.

Are you going slow in flight? If so that will obviously make it "weaker". Is that what you are talking about or is it like that all the time?

thanks for the reply vax

actually am not sure what to expect as I have previously used only a warthog (non ffb stick)

to answer your questions just learning how to use the stick - found firstly I need to have my hand on it for the FFB to activate - strangely I am getting the best resistance if in game if I adjust the %'s for strength to 90% mid way through a flight - then I get some reasonable resistance - but other times (109)stick feels very weak - interesting in the Russian fighter seemed to get very little gun shake but aside from that got good in flight ffb with the Russian plance - that aside - in terms of setting it up should I be messing with the sensitivity charts ?

thanks for the reply vax

actually am not sure what to expect as I have previously used only a warthog (non ffb stick)

to answer your questions just learning how to use the stick - found firstly I need to have my hand on it for the FFB to activate - strangely I am getting the best resistance if in game if I adjust the %'s for strength to 90% mid way through a flight - then I get some reasonable resistance - but other times (109)stick feels very weak - interesting in the Russian fighter seemed to get very little gun shake but aside from that got good in flight ffb with the Russian plance - that aside - in terms of setting it up should I be messing with the sensitivity charts ?

The sensors for the stick are under the trigger and by your pinky finger. I actually taped mine up so if I use a light touch it wont go limp.

I really dont mess with anything, as it is rock solid with defaults IMO. Not sure on the Russian birds, I mainly fly LW.

vax  - thanks for the feedback - will try and tape up the sensor

its possible I am just not so familiar with FFB so don't really know what to expect but will give it a try again with the default settings - basically my observation was that the FFB effects when flying appeared a bit random and dependent on the aircraft they did not seem strong and consistent (which is why I was thinking of adjusting the curves - note I have also not inverted any of the axis although some of them seemed to default to inverted when I set them up perhaps this could be my issue?)

I also tried it with cliffs of dover and got some strong forces particularly when I got a spitfire into and spin and with 1946 I couldn't get the game to detect the stick so haven't got it working yet........

I find using the rudder on the joystick to line up ground targets is pretty hard and 'wobbly'.

What is your experience? 

I wonder if it's just this joystick and I should invest in proper rudder pedals such as MFG Crosswinds. 

vax  - thanks for the feedback - will try and tape up the sensor

its possible I am just not so familiar with FFB so don't really know what to expect but will give it a try again with the default settings - basically my observation was that the FFB effects when flying appeared a bit random and dependent on the aircraft they did not seem strong and consistent (which is why I was thinking of adjusting the curves - note I have also not inverted any of the axis although some of them seemed to default to inverted when I set them up perhaps this could be my issue?)

I also tried it with cliffs of dover and got some strong forces particularly when I got a spitfire into and spin and with 1946 I couldn't get the game to detect the stick so haven't got it working yet........

Having them inverted will give you a wonky FFB I assume. I didn't have to mess with anything beyond setting my axis to the stick.

With CLoD I actually took everything from the FF files out except "Spring". This is due to the fact there was a bug with the 109 cannons and FFB settings. It is much lighter (the FFB) to me at least in CLoD than BoS. I love CLoD, but BoS did FFB much better. Again I am only flying the 109, not familiar with the Spit.

With 1946 the FFB is good as well. Just don't turn the on switch for "FFB" in the HOTAS setup of the game or you will be encounter some odd behavior. Its odd, but it works with it off better.

I find using the rudder on the joystick to line up ground targets is pretty hard and 'wobbly'.

What is your experience? 

I wonder if it's just this joystick and I should invest in proper rudder pedals such as MFG Crosswinds. 

I cant use the twist for rudders, as I find them wobbly just like you. I use the Saitek Pro rudders or whatever they are called. Don't think it matters which ones (except the G940 I heard they were not great) but they all do the same job.

Vax thanks

For CLoD how are you editing the files? I have heard of an app called fedit.exe but not sure exactly how to use it? also is it possible to increase effects over 100% using something like this?

For 1946 - I did have the FFB switch on in the input options - I assume you need to switch off? maybe this is why my stick does not seem to want to work in this game - will try again

Vax thanks

For CLoD how are you editing the files? I have heard of an app called fedit.exe but not sure exactly how to use it? also is it possible to increase effects over 100% using something like this?

For 1946 - I did have the FFB switch on in the input options - I assume you need to switch off? maybe this is why my stick does not seem to want to work in this game - will try again

I messed with Fedit but, like you, not sure how to use it. CoD/parts/core/ff is where they are located and only using "Spring" is working good for me. And with 46' yeah turn off the FF and see if that helps.