BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 79

Oh? So all the third-party made 3D objects, vehicles, maps, the PW dynamic Campaign, SEOW online wars are nothing, according to you?

What is he talking about!? There only pages upon pages of third party MOD's in RoF?

Tracers, effects, sounds, and FM file types are still off limits to modders in RoF, and it's not like there's been a whole lot of unique modded maps. He's right, the Mods haven't changed things all that much; though some cool stuff has been made. I'm always surprised by how some of you guys talk up RoF here, because the RoF forum's more disgruntled than this one.

• Upvote 1

QMB screen from the stream:

r5Lzk8J.jpg

You do not understand the context of this screenshot. It does not apply to those who have already purchased and will purchase the Standard and Premium Editions.

Jason

• Upvote 2

Is there definitive word on mission building at the release date. Will there be something akin to what is in IL-2/ COD for us to design  and play our own ?

I no nothing about ROF so I would appreciate an answer other than what may or may not be in that release.

Thanks in advance

We've said many times that we will release our ME at a later date sometime after launch to the general public.

Jason

"You do not understand the context of this screenshot. It does not apply to those who have already purchased and will purchase the Standard and Premium Editions.

Jason"

Ok Jason...let us be clear..I'm referring solely to the ASAP experience in campaigns:

1) I have purchased the Standard edition early access: so I will have immediate access to ALL planes from the get go? Won't have to fly the Stuka or the ME 109 to build up experience points before I can fly the HE-111 on bombing missions? If so...that's great.

2) I will, however, have to fly missions in presumably designated planes and missions in order to get access to further weapons AND skins upgrades? So at least some skins and weapon options WILL BE locked from the start, even if I am an early access standard edition purchaser? And I will be channelled into certain mission time to build up the necessary points to access more sophisticated weapon packs and skins? Right?

3) If, as I quote you above, the pictures of the locked HE-111 and PE-2 DO NOT apply to those who have, and who will, purchased the two versions of the game, the WHO do they apply to? Post official launch purchasers of the game? Anyone who purchases the game AFTER it has launched, WILL be locked out of certain aircraft until they 'jump through a few hoops' and earn the necessary experience points? Is that right? If so, I am glad I an early access, and I would not like it one bit that I could not fly any plane right from the start. But that's just my personal preference; it will surely by a contested view and others will feel different.

Just trying to get it straight in my own head...

Thanks Jason for your efforts to explain this all out to people. I for one reckon you and your team have produced a very promising game; I love flying the HE-111 and the sensation of flight is superb in my humble opinion.

Apoll

Ah! Hate spell check on my IPad! I meant the SP experience in my above message....

Apoll

You do not understand the context of this screenshot. It does not apply to those who have already purchased and will purchase the Standard and Premium Editions.

Jason

Jason, if i understand, there will be a third version, and that will be that one which have to unlock airplane ?

You should do a FAQ on unlock.

Until the law allows me to legitimise our love by marriage, yes, that's what I have to call her.

Don't mind me I'm just envious.  :salute:

• Upvote 1

Oh? So all the third-party made 3D objects, vehicles, maps, the PW dynamic Campaign, SEOW online wars are nothing, according to you?

Oh yes!

Anything relating to MP in RoF is absolutely worthless to me, since I do not play RoF multiplayer, mainly because the default ballistics, DMs and Flak are so unrealistic. If other people want to fly around aiming at wings because they are easier to rip off than making a hit on the pilot or engine that is fine by me. Just do not expect me to place any value on it.  If MP servers offered missions using mods for the rate of fire, damage and flak to get closer to historic reality, I might give them a try at some stage when I get bored of BoS.

PW's campaign generator I have tried, (in three different versions) and have found to be less satisfying than the "Beta" Campaign.  Not his fault: he is trying to cater to the people who want 1918 style mass furballs and find "Beta" too quiet, but it seems gimmicky to me.

As to maps - well I only use the default and channel maps in SP. Since I paid for these, I do not consider them to be mods.

The problem is very much to do with the devs' desire to make everyone's experience the same, for the sake of multiplayer fairness. I do not see how you can possibly deny this, since they spelt it out in black and white in the development diaries. 

As I have said, I enjoy both BoS and RoF and support the developers to the extent of having bought both titles from the company and again on Steam, including almost all the DLC.  This does not mean that I have to pretend to be blind to the shortcomings of both titles in SP mode.

• Upvote 2

Jason, if i understand, there will be a third version, and that will be that one which have to unlock airplane ?

You should do a FAQ on unlock.

IF there'll be any other version. IF.

Well Zak...doing my bit to ensure there will be another version; spreading the word in my little pond as much as I can about how impressed I was with the HE-111 in early access. But surely there will be a third version; if those (now) notorious locked HE-111 and PE-2 pictures in the above much discussed and fumed over picture do not belong to a beta, early version of the campaign, and do represent at least what some purchasers of the game will face on D Day (launch day), BUT NOT current or future purchasers of the standard or premium editions, then there has to be a third version (it's not current standard/premium purchasers, nor future standard/premium purchasers...that only leaves a third version WITH lockables...). If any of that makes sense?

Anyway, I get the message I think; I will not be subject to having to jump through hoops to access my favourite: the HE-111. I think that's right...and if so, I'm happy with that. I do wish the devs had gone a slightly different path re a more historical and hard core approach to the SP campaign, but it still looks like a good experience, and I have faith that sound smart modded out there will rise to the challenge and give us a joined up SP campaign experience like Pat Wilson has done with RoF. In my view, his campaign generator gas completely transformed the RoF experience for me. I think thus will also happen eventually to BoS.

Apoll out!

Imagine a hybrid combination of this

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=347&t=44102

and historic standard type linear campaign, or Pat Wilson campaign generator :cool: or Co-Op campaign

Cheers Dakpilot

THis is what many of us are working towards currently. I cant stress enough that these things WILL come, not might come, but WILL come. WWII community is MUCH larger than that of WWI. SO much talent to create really great things! And its all going to be available to do so. I feel the pulse of the community and they seem to be working themselves up really over nothing.

My suggestion STOP using IL46 as your ruler. That much development time has not taking place on BoS yet. The less we complain that there isnt much stuff, and the more we CREATE the stuff we want, the happier we will be.

• Upvote 4

THis is what many of us are working towards currently. I cant stress enough that these things WILL come, not might come, but WILL come. WWII community is MUCH larger than that of WWI. SO much talent to create really great things! And its all going to be available to do so. I feel the pulse of the community and they seem to be working themselves up really over nothing.

My suggestion STOP using IL46 as your ruler. That much development time has not taking place on BoS yet. The less we complain that there isnt much stuff, and the more we CREATE the stuff we want, the happier we will be.

Will come? No if ands or buts? I like the optimisim, but there are factors in play.

1. IF the FMB is not robust enough to make large scale campaigns and missions.

2. IF the mod support is not flexible and more robust than RoF.

3. IF people that were waiting on the SP campaign to buy are not turned off and move on.

4. IF this game becomes more WT than 46'/CLoD/DCS, etc. etc.

5. IF final release reviews are not so hot and sadly, SOME people only buy off reviews.

6. IF user made content is slow to come due to a number of factors.

There are just a few off the top of my head.

Going by history....people like to say well look how long Falcon, WOFF, IL2 46' or CLoD took to become good. The one important piece people dont know or forget or ignore is, they were made "good" after the companies were obsolete in most cases.

Now think about ARMA and Half Life for instance. User made content and mods are a huge reason WHY those companies are still going strong and supported. They dont have an attitude that they are the only talent in town, and welcome people to generate content for the base game they put down. I dont get that feeling from BoS as much. From gfx presets to not being able to use the FMB, to skinning approvals, and not transparency, it feels much more restrictive.

I agree that the WWII flight sim fanbase are talented, motivated, and able to do amazing things. I also know they are passionate about what is set in front of them. Will all this great stuff come with BoS being supported, or will it be another case of abandonware? Its all how it is recieved.

• Upvote 1

Just as an asside: Congratulations to the developers and team on 20,000 facebook likes. They must be doing something right. :)

Everyone stay away from personal comments and insults please.

As has been explained, you all get the airplanes you paid for and the only unlocks are skins, equipment and the missions that use the new equipment.

We also have a couple surprises that will be revealed in the coming months that I think the community will enjoy.

I encourage everyone to go fly and have fun and practice your shooting. Even I need to get in the cockpit more instead of doing forum and email gymnastics all day.

We've come a long way in a short time, let's enjoy that for a change.

:salute:

Jason

• Upvote 15

We've come a long way in a short time, let's enjoy that for a change.

This. It feels like some people are spending more time on the forums than in the actual game...

We also have a couple surprises that will be revealed in the coming months that I think the community will enjoy.

If we get custom settings i'm game :)

No custom settings for you!

Reminds me of the Soup Nazi from the Seinfeld TV show, teehee.

I know the suprise Guys!!!! Loft will sit atop a dunk tank via a video feed we will only be able to get him to fall in if we get another 5000 units sold by Oct 1. Yes he will sit up there all week!lol

Ok Ok I dont know the surprise but Im excited now!!!

Surprises ooh please could we have a little hint. Very very curious now.

No hints sorry guys.

Just know we are not as dense as some in the community think we are. 

Jason

AHA!!!! DENSE, as in DENSITY ALTITUDE Proof the barometric pressure will be altered, thus indicating a new theater of operations, and obviously the announcment of the Zepplin Airship....... I'm so good at this!!!!

OK ok... I still dont know.

• Upvote 2

I don't mind the unlocks myself, I have many friends who like that sense of acheiving something enough that it becomes a main motivator. I might be able to talk some into giving this a try as it's far less stressful than multiplayer (for someone new) and has enough structure / freedom to try things out and get rewards.

Personally I'm most interested in the ability to play these missions cooperatively. I hope we can get that feature.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure some of the more expert among us will disagree, but I feel the money I've spent so far on BoS has already brought me a lot of good times. It's been far more enjoyment than trouble. I know it isn't perfect but I really wish we could fire up a Week #1 early access version side by side with what we have today to see the progress. As Jason said, they've come a long way. I don't regret signing on one little bit. 

• Upvote 5

I'm sure some of the more expert among us will disagree, but I feel the money I've spent so far on BoS has already brought me a lot of good times. It's been far more enjoyment than trouble. I know it isn't perfect but I really wish we could fire up a Week #1 early access version side by side with what we have today to see the progress. As Jason said, they've come a long way. I don't regret signing on one little bit. 

Me too 100%

We've said many times that we will release our ME at a later date sometime after launch to the general public.

Jason

Good to know, Thanks for the follow up.

Just know we are not as dense as some in the community think we are. 

Jason

Best post yet, stick it to the nay sayers my man.

Jason

A couple months? Does this mean that the release date is going to be that far off?

Reading some of the developer posts in the russian forum seems to indicate that the game isn't going to make it out until 2015. I had thought that this was poor translation on googles part, but based on your statements it has since given me pause.

Only a few weeks ago it seemed like the game would make your delayed launch date of september, but I can understand if you have to hold things back for a few months. Better to launch in the new year then not at all.

Even with all the content like 3d models and textures you got from Il2; Battle of Moscow your dev team has still made fast progress. This is something the community should applaud you for. Not everyone could take a mostly complete game, assets wise that is, and turn it into the game you have now running on your own in-house engine.

However, if you are delaying things for a few months I would hope that you will address some of the communities issues in the time being. Key among them is the addition of the mission editor before launch, which in previous updates you seem to indicate wont be there at launch. If the game is being delayed then I hope you'll find the time to make sure it is there for the people who care about good single player campaigns.

Liz you seem to read a lot into some small comment, but as an active supporter of Sigi's "campaign I guess you will always fall into the very negative side of opinion,

Cheers Dakpilot

My sentiments too Rjel ~S~

Shouldn´t we not just wait and see what the release version will bring ?

I´m sure that the dev's have a plan, and inorder to keep the release day only minor stuff might be altered in that plan.

The biggest thread developing a title like this is "featurecreep", meaning that inorder to please each and every customer, release day will be postponed constantly "just" to put in more and more features.

I´m allready pleased with the current version and rather stay out of the discussion about the campaign until I have seen how it works for me.

With a Full Mission Builder comming later, I´m sure that we will see alot of both fantasy and historical missions. Maybe we are even lucky that someone like Pat Wilson will do a 3rd party Campaign Generator.

FinnJ

Flew a little today, as always, had a blast, crashed and burned :) viewed/made some smokey's. :salute:

Not sure if i found a bug, or AI ramming was implemented, as some of the community members, including myself talked about this in past posts.
Really like the details, like smoke, fire, etc.
Screen shots of our latest version:

post-12377-0-98250500-1411641442_thumb.jpgpost-12377-0-98825200-1411641465_thumb.jpgpost-12377-0-39047800-1411641485_thumb.jpg

post-12377-0-17330600-1411641509_thumb.jpgpost-12377-0-59089400-1411641526_thumb.jpgpost-12377-0-31295200-1411641540_thumb.jpg

post-12377-0-79588900-1411641566_thumb.jpgpost-12377-0-50204500-1411641578_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boomerang
  • Upvote 3