Sign in to follow this  
Jhay753

Very Choppy Graphics

I bought all the computer I could afford to run this sim, but it does not run well at all.  Graphics freeze momentarily several times per second. Even moving the mouse around on the splash screen is very choppy with significant lag. I have game settings on low quality and am running 1680 x 1050 resolution.   Here are my specs:

AMD FX processor, 3.8GHz, Cache memory 4MB, System memory 8GB, Video card AMD Radeon R7 240, Video memory 2GB. 

Is this game simply too demanding for this machine or do a have a problem in my software?  I know this rig is low end, but I really though it would do better than this.  Any help, advice, or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Setting the Frame Lock to OFF has helped a lot.  It still isn't as smooth as the old IL-2, but it makes gameplay tolerable. Thanks for the tip, and any other opinions or advice is still welcome.  And is there a key that displays frame rates?

I'm using the low graphics option in the settings menu.  I've turned Vsync off, and have tried various settings of anti-alias and the other options. I'm (unfortunately) using Windows 8.1.  And I can't even load my old IL-2, Pacific Fighters, & 1946 disks.  I guess Windows 8.1 doesn't recognize them.

Your system is marginally more powerful than mine until recently (I just upgraded my video card) and I ran very smooth on balanced settings. I had V-synch on and frames locked to 30. I rarely dropped below 20 no matter how busy things got except right over Stalingrad. I'm running on High settings now with my new card. My specs are Phenom II 965 Black Edition quad core @ 3.4 ghz, 8 gb RAM, ATI Radeon 6970 2 gb (previously Radeon 5850 1 gb).

In your ATI CCC do you have settings set to  Use Application Settings? If not the CCC settings and BOS settings may be confliction with each other.

Wow V-man!  I had never seen that ATE CCC menu before!   But when I found it, everything seemed to be set on "Use Application Settings".  So far, resetting the frame-lock rate has helped the most.  I am getting reasonably smooth graphics now, but have not put much demand on it yet.  I'm sure there is more tweaking and thrashing to be done for improvement; especially since you say you were running a similar system with satisfactory results.  And by the way, a post in here mentioned 'Requiem's TrackIR Profile'.  Where would I find that?