dBee

Flying sim with a 4K monitor

Few month ago I was looking to upgrade my rig, I read forum, magazines and benchmark. I end up choosing a 4K monitor (3840 x 2160) over 3 monitor with Eyefinity simply because of space and the rave review the the ASUS PB287Q had.

During the last week I've been testing my system on WT, BoS and CloD. 

BoS on a 4K is amazing and perform shutter free at ultra setting, spotting is easier then on my old  1080p 24in monitor. I couldn't manage during that week to play expert mode online because of the lack of players on the server during that time. I however played offline and online normal mode and it was all smooth with up to 15 players. 

CloD initially  I had some shutter and force me to reduce the settings from high to medium. After some trouble shooting, I have manage to get it to play smooth, It seems like having my second monitor set with the instruments was maybe to much, noted that I also had shutter with my old GTX 580. I always play CloD online on the ATAG server and that my ping always above 300 that doesn't help. But my god that game is beautiful on a 4K resolution, even with some of the settings reduce compare to my old rig.

With such a high resolution, when you open something it will appear smaller, you can open 4 browser page (1080p) into your monitor, it make watching a youtube video in HD 1080p blurred if you play it in full screen. However when simming on a 3840 x 2160 resolution there is no turning back. The level of details, the colors, the beauty and the experience.  

o7 

Wow. Sounds great. I am planning on a 4K monitor as well because obviously flight sims will be amazing on it.

My assumption, and maybe I'm wrong, is that it will take 4x the VRAM of running a 1080p monitor though. Is that true? To run Ultra on BoS then would take about a 12GB GPU. Am I wrong?

At 4K there would be almost no antialiasing required either. I'm looking forward to 4K more than Oculus.

Wow. Sounds great. I am planning on a 4K monitor as well because obviously flight sims will be amazing on it.

My assumption, and maybe I'm wrong, is that it will take 4x the VRAM of running a 1080p monitor though. Is that true? To run Ultra on BoS then would take about a 12GB GPU. Am I wrong?

At 4K there would be almost no antialiasing required either. I'm looking forward to 4K more than Oculus.

You would not need a 12GB GPU and even having cards in SLI it doesn't add up the VRAM, so if you have 2 3GB cards it still is 3GB not 6GB of VRAM.

And I imagine that you would not need any AA at all im playing at 1440 and 2x is pretty much zero jaggies. 

S!

One nice card you got there Decibel :) Fastest you can get at the moment.

I like the " at the moment " Indeed it goes very quick

o7  

S!

It will remain fastest for some time I think. nVidia's 3000€ card flopped hard against the 295X2 costing now around 1000€, or even less. Will be interesting to see if nVidia or AMD will release another dual-GPU with their new architectures, interesting times :)

S!

Praetor. I would advice against it ;) Or you would need extreme bribing and "good husband" gestures for a long time :biggrin:  You simply do not remove their stuff for your use :P

Edited by LLv34_Flanker

Hi Sharpe that is the card I have

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-295x2-crossfire-performance,3808.html

It's suppose to be on my signature, can you see it??

So you've got an 8GB card? Just one or X Fire? Can it run BoS at Ultra & 4K?

You would not need a 12GB GPU and even having cards in SLI it doesn't add up the VRAM, so if you have 2 3GB cards it still is 3GB not 6GB of VRAM.

And I imagine that you would not need any AA at all im playing at 1440 and 2x is pretty much zero jaggies.

I'm assuming 4x the resolution requires 4x the GB. Maybe I'm wrong?

Also many sims are CPU dependent, I don't know what effect upping the resolution has on your CPU?

Edited by Sharpe

@ Sharpe I only have 1 GPU a R9295x2 and it's a rig build and test by Pro it's a Maingate, so there is no issue with bottleneck with the CPU and I don't need AA at that res

Edited by Decibel_dB

Wonder if my wife will be upset if I move our 55" 4k to my computer...

I have select the ASUS PB287Q because of it's 1 ms response time and because it's 60Hz. That is the only 4K monitor on the market as for now. In other word if you play on a 30Hz monitor you have 30 FPS, that's all.  

Edited by Decibel_dB

So you've got an 8GB card? Just one or X Fire? Can it run BoS at Ultra & 4K?

I'm assuming 4x the resolution requires 4x the GB. Maybe I'm wrong?

Also many sims are CPU dependent, I don't know what effect upping the resolution has on your CPU?

VRAM is is handy if you are using supper high resolution textures and stuff along those lines.  Screen resolution is more just pure power I would say maybe im wrong.

I love the idea of a new 4K Monitor but it seems a bit lack luster given that Oculus Rift isn't that far off.

Yes and no, I am not sure I'll like to spend 3 or 4 hrs with 1lbs in the front of your face. For a quick flight yes of course but more then that not sure. 

I just spent about a whole weekend on flight sims :-D

Can't imagine wearing an OR for that long...

I just spent about a whole weekend on flight sims :-D

Can't imagine wearing an OR for that long...

I am so happy that I'm not the only one ;)

Wonder if my wife will be upset if I move our 55" 4k to my computer...

Up until recently I had the gaming computer hooked up to the family room 52'' monitor, she just loved the 88mm shells and 7.62 rounds flying through the living room. That's when she agreed I needed a new monitor.

It's suppose to be on my signature, can you see it?? 

Ah, sorry. It's me, I usually insta-kill signatures in any forum via the options pane. Will check later, thank you!

@ Sharpe I only have 1 GPU a R9295x2 and it's a rig build and test by Pro it's a Maingate, so there is no issue with bottleneck with the CPU and I don't need AA at that res

You have two GPUs that are located on one card. They should run in CF. Are you experiencing any problems with CF at the moment? Does the Crossfire logo show up during the game? How much VRAM does the game need out of the 4 GB you have?

Zettman

Edited by Zettman

You have two GPUs that are located on one card. They should run in CF. Are you experiencing any problems with CF at the moment? Does the Crossfire logo show up during the game? How much VRAM does the game need out of the 4 GB you have?

Zettman

Hi Zetman I don't experience any problem with CF and I don't have any logo CF in game. As for your last question, how can I check that up for you?

o7

Hi Zetman I don't experience any problem with CF and I don't have any logo CF in game. As for your last question, how can I check that up for you?

o7

MSI Afterburner is a freee programm that gives you graphs about GPU activity and Memory usage (and alot more). It will show you if both GPUs are active during the game and how much VRAM is used.

Here is the Link: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

It looks like this, under settings you can configure what graphs you want to plot. (You can plot CPU usage and RAM too)

TmjfA1f.png

I'm really interested if both GPUs are active.

Zettman

At 4K do you even need AA? I've been considering this on many benchmarks with the same card and 4k vs 1080p and they always use the same settings. I'm guessing the lack of AA would be hardly noticeable and save some frames.

@ Driftaholic you dont need it.

@ Zettman we had that discussion before but I will do the test for you when I get back home so I can convince you that this is a 8Gb VRAM card. I fully agree that if I or anyone SLI or Crossfire cards he will get the lowers or the card VRAM ie 4Gb in this case. But this card is factory crossfire and it's 8Gb. AMD are selling those card with 8Gb, that what they publicise and selling them at 8Gb. My machine was bench by the builder (Maingear) and it give just that, Speecy also give me 8Gb.

Give me few day I am on the road o7

And again I could also be wrong, we're going to find out soon  ;)

post-6177-0-70399500-1411103706_thumb.gif

From Toms Hardware review

Radeon R9 295X2 uses 2 x 4GB memory

Cheers Dakpilot

@ Zettman we had that discussion before but I will do the test for you when I get back home so I can convince you that this is a 8Gb VRAM card. I fully agree that if I or anyone SLI or Crossfire cards he will get the lowers or the card VRAM ie 4Gb in this case. But this card is factory crossfire and it's 8Gb. AMD are selling those card with 8Gb, that what they publicise and selling them at 8Gb. My machine was bench by the builder (Maingear) and it give just that, Speecy also give me 8Gb.

Give me few day I am on the road o7

I know for sure that you are only using 4GB (cause the other 4 GB are mirrored), that's the way these cards works. Each GPU has its onw 4GB of VRAM. Thats why they say 2x4GB and not 8GB. Thats why it is roughly equal with two R9 290x (4GB) and the R9 295x2 can be used in trifire with a single R9 290x (4GB) card.

I want to know how much of the 4GB are in usage, Nvidia and AMD work a bit different, but one should still be abler to see if this game will run on a 3GB card without problems at 4K resolution. 

Zettman

Edited by Zettman

From reading and research, 3GB is just on the limit but ok, for 4K... Nvidia released the 6GB 780 series cards for this reason

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Dakpilot

From reading and research, 3GB is just on the limit but ok, for 4K... Nvidia released the 6GB 780 series cards for this reason

Cheers Dakpilot

This was discussed quite often in many hardware forums and the final conclusion was that the 780 is just not powerful enough to fully utilize the 6GB of VRAM and get an advantage over a 780 Ti 3GB. It was more of a marketing strategy to sell some more 780 GPUs. Even a overclocked 780 6GB will not hold a clear advantage over a 780Ti 3GB, in SLI this changes a bit because of the VRAM not adding up, but the 780 is still not powerful enough to run this much VRAM effectively.

EDIT: That said, the GTX780 with 6GB was indeed a bit faster and it should be still cheaper than a 780TI, but that is only true for high resolutions were the 3GB are the limiting factor on the 780TI, as soon as the VRAM usage is below the 3GB, the 780 TI will have the upper hand.

Link: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/06/30/asus_strix_gtx_780_oc_6gb_sli_video_card_review/10#.VBvTf_l_v2M

Link: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/06/17/asus_strix_gtx_780_oc_6gb_overclocking_review/1#.VBvTB_l_v2M

Zettman

Edited by Zettman

Although I'm running a 6000 x 1080 desktop I'm running BoS @ 1920 x 1080 on my center display. Due to the navigation challenges I like a map on my left monitor and key mapping for my Thrustmaster MFD's. My frame rates are great, but for me to run BoS at my desktop resolutionI would need to ramp up my GPU more. 

Once I graduate from training mode Eyefinity will become an attractive option.

Bigger PSU, two new GPU's and I'll be good. But not until I can figure out where the heck I am!

Edited by [JG2]Surf