Poll: Pilot sim in the flight sim?

What's your opinion about imitation of pilot's physiological reactions in the sim?  

327 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion about imitation of pilot's physiological reactions in the sim?

• Good to have them
    • No need in them

Whatever you do, don't make it different from plane to plane, player to player, or something you can buy or "unlock", like in War Thunder.

Those guys went full retard. :wacko: ...You never go full retard.

I voted No.

Edited by Jaws2002
  • 2 weeks later...

For instance, a pilot may suffer a decrease of field of vision after a long and intense combat with high-G and high tension in general. It's related to blood pressure somehow. So what he starts to see is some sort of a vignette that basically means that he's no longer able to see things as good as a rested pilot.

On the MAKS airshow that will start here in Moscow in the end of this month we'll ask our comrade test pilot, Vlad Barsuk to describe that state of vision after maneuvering MiG-3. Then I might be able to give a better description of these physiological reactions.

Any news from pilot at MAKS, i saw DEDA posted pictures of MiG-3 and pilot Barsuk, did you guys manage to get his view on this?

Any news from pilot at MAKS, i saw DEDA posted pictures of MiG-3 and pilot Barsuk, did you guys manage to get his view on this?

Unfortunatelly not this time. Due to some issues (financial, or weather, or both) the MiG didn't fly during MAKS. Nevertheless I remember the promise and Barsuk will be asked for his comments on that matter

• 2 weeks later...

I think that breathing sounds should be directly connected to G-tolerance of the pilot.

And those should be assigned to difficulty settings.

And I welcome these. The further the level of realism in the game, the more intense expereince from it.

According to one's likings, of course.

• Upvote 1

I think Linx has good points, but that being said, we need to add stuff like Head movement delayed due to G-force. I have heard under high G-forces, pilots can suffer minor to moderate neck injury if he tries to move his neck too much. Stuff like that. As for tunnel vision, you already have that as a result of the actual player losing peripheral SA, being too preoccupied.

My 2c:

I'd rather the developers take advice from one or more pilots experienced in these types of machines rather than a straw poll of a somewhat eclectic group of sim pilots whose opinions may or may not be based on personal experience.

Even those with RL experience may have differing or even conflicting opinions based on their own level of physical fitness, physiology etc. So expecting consensus is a bit too much.

W.

Edited by RAF74_Winger

I suppose this is at odds with what a few people are saying, but...

I think it would be fun to have a personal profile where I can earn experience points and upgrade my pilot.  I've been trying out Splinter Cell Blacklist and it works in a similar way where as you play the game, you can upgrade the guy to have whatever attributes it is you want.  I think this would be fun to implement with profiles as in ROF where you can have multiple profiles, but now with different attributes.  I would keep the upgrades assigned to the prfile regardless of whether or not your pilot died in the mission or not.

It would be nice to be able to switch it on or off though.  Some days I may just want to go see the 109 perform at its full level without pilot restrictions.

Gameplay as in a pilot career where you build up more G-restistance with career advancement, I'd say no.

Agreed!

Leveling of pilots would be horrible but other than that I voted yes :)

Rather than just have a simple G limit the body shouldn't be able to be thrown through endless, continuous and violent maneuvers like nearly all sims allow these days. I think the pilot should wear out with time but it should be slightly random so people can't time it.

The aim should be to get people to put more thought in to their ACM rather than pulling endless high G turns

Pilot fatigue would be a great feature. It would be like limited stamina in a FPS to limit sprinting time. It would alow for more realistic fights imo. Right now you can turn and manoeuvre as hard and as long as you want without penalty. With such a limitation we would even see spitfires boom and zoom when in a superior position ;)

Pilot fatigue would be a great feature. It would be like limited stamina in a FPS to limit sprinting time. It would alow for more realistic fights imo. Right now you can turn and manoeuvre as hard and as long as you want without penalty. With such a limitation we would even see spitfires boom and zoom when in a superior position ;)

Yeh exactly or at least be conservative with their energy and maneuvers, all these kind of things would push people away from T&B on the deck and in to more thought out ACM and team work.

I would be against a set time limit though, you would need to basically notice that things would start to get slower/weaker the more you performed hard maneuvers. How they would indicate this would be tricky and any visible indicator would need to be either subtle or have an option to turn it off so you don't have a flashing body icon in the corner of your screen. Personally I think this would be a real game changer for online combat.

LIke I posted in another thread how are you planning to model each pilots stamina level? As everyone is different IRL or is there going to be a flat value?

Make it like in FPS games. Everyone has the exact same physical capabilitys. Like what we have now with blackout and redout

• 2 weeks later...

In Real life you do NOT ear anything beside the engine/airflow so all the clicks, cracks, clacks and breath under G's are just movie material.. fatigue also I think as you already have fatigue, excitement stress etc..  when flying online for quite some time I suggest to be very careful with this . Visual blurs/vibrations can add some reality in various conditions. I voted "No" at it is described.

Edited by GOZR

I voted No, because I think each person playing/flying has his own type of way with dealing with different situaltions. Some breath harder, maybe others dont. It would make me feel "out" of the cockpit when somebody else for example is breathing. But like GOZR said, I here nothing but engine myself.

To model the g-forces is good though (red/black).

Guy's I don't think is a good idea, every pilot react in a different way, you can not simulate it...

This is my take as well... I think it would be best to have a standard blackout level associated with a given G force..  There is no way to simulate pilot size or physical condition and if there were you can bet that everyone would be the strongest, healthiest most resilient pilot available.. thereby defaulting to one standard pilot model.. It sounds good and it looks good on paper.. but in practice .. for online flying at least it would be pretty much useless..

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is that basic blackout/redout feature doesn`t stop people from pulling insane stunts at high G without any consequence. I`ve seen enough of that to agree to just about any option to turn pilot physical feaures on. People say that is is the pilot, not the plane, well the stamina thing is what is a BIG part of that saying. It should be blatantly obvious that if a player puts a continuous strain on his pilot, he should face the results of that.

Typically the want for pilot limitations is driven by those that don't commit to close in dogfights. Staying out on the boundaries, or alt monkeying around, in the fastest plane thinking that BnZ means literally diving in and zooming away (it doesn't). Chess players of the sky, or as another person in another game world put it - sky accountants.

Having the vpilot tire out and have meters and guages to figure out when that happens, then fly cautiously slow circles until those meters replenish is as gimmicky as it gets.

Typically the want for pilot limitations is driven by those that don't commit to close in dogfights. Staying out on the boundaries, or alt monkeying around, in the fastest plane thinking that BnZ means literally diving in and zooming away (it doesn't). Chess players of the sky, or as another person in another game world put it - sky accountants.

Having the vpilot tire out and have meters and guages to figure out when that happens, then fly cautiously slow circles until those meters replenish is as gimmicky as it gets.

You seem to be missing that modelling pilot physics limitations influences T&B pilots aswell as B&Z ones. Not to mention that effective B&Z is not an easy task as some may think.

Anyway, talking about "every pilot reacts in a different way": can we just have an average pilot's reaction?

Even if a guy can be better than another, it does not mean that ignoring the effect is the right thing to do.

Stil I agree that many psychological reactions are already reproduced by the player himself. We should focus on the ones who are not simulated.

I don't think ignoring it is appropriate, just that for some people the onset is later.  As pilots get more G exposure, they can tolerate more, and more frequently -- they get acclimated to it.  I know guys who are perfectly functional at 5g - it is their 'resting g load' where they can breath normally for extended periods of time.  I know a lot of folks who I suspect might pass out at 5 sustained Gs.

Physiological effects are some of the most under modeled aspects of flight sims.  It allows for unrealistic maneuvering. 

I hope the developers model the complete cycle of GLOC including the conscious but incapacitate stage. 

post-1354-0-70987100-1382752050_thumb.jpg

post-1354-0-42596900-1382752117_thumb.jpg

Once more, accelerations that do not produce GLOC still produce disorientation and in reduction in a pilots ability to track a target accurately.  This feature should be selectable.

Here is a NATO Post war study.

http://www.dtic.mil/...df?AD=ADA235181          

Edited by Crump
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...