Enroute chart for Stalingrad map

Sure, looks good!  Has it been tested in-game?

Can you increase the font size, and yet not block out landmarks? I understand it is meant to be zoomed in, but if you don't need to all the way it would be easier on 'older' eyes.

Also, just noticed, JPG is not a good format for this use but PNG scales ideally.

S!

Edited by SYN_Bandy
  • 1CGS

Good stuff. We once plotted ALL of the headings and distances for all places on the ROF map using their coordinates. Had some smart community members do the math. Was a huge list. The thread is on the ROF forum somewhere. Would be easier on the BOS map.

This would be a great thing to make as a 3rd party app.

Actually, what I'd do is plot ALL map coordinates such as the grid location you are in and the grid location you want to go and spit out the heading and distance. Or maybe have all the airfields, towns etc. figured out and then add the random coordinate capability as a bonus.

Jason

• Upvote 2
  • 1CGS

Ok here is some impressive directional data. Download the .zip and open either Excel file (I don't remember if there is a difference between the two). Someone do this for BOS and you'll be in the hall of fame. 

:salute:

http://777studios.net/ROF_Utilities/ROF_ICE_Map_Navigation_Info_Final_1-12-11.zip

Jason

• Upvote 1
  • 1CGS

The full size of the in-game map is 358400m x 230400m.

I don't have the map open in front of me. I need to look at the grid again. Not sure how big each grid is. In game distances are figured by pixel location and 1 pixel is I think 10 meters or is it 100 meters. I forget.

The excel sheet has the right formula. The scale in BOS is the same as in ROF. All you would need to do is substitute the coordinates and the cells will do the math.

Jason

• 1CGS

Yep I had to refresh my memory.

In the ME each coordinate is in meters from 0,0.

The large squares are 10km x 10km. The smaller squares are obviously then 3.33km x 3.33km.

I really need to make a list of all locations with their coordinates as I had for ROF. Anyone want to volunteer? I don't have the time.

Jason

That's the map I printed out (with il2 logo), jason. I'm using that map for distances (it says 1 square = 1cm = 10km) and it has no small squares inside. The map i have in photoshop is different since I blew her up to 200 dpi and the squares are different. Doesn't matter. This one works.

Can anybody please give me RWY orientations for:

Zhutovo (632) and Aksay (634) - missed those...

• 1CGS

When I get all the coordinates of the airfields and towns we will know the exact distance and headings easily.

I'm concerned with the printed map I will be putting in the box right now. Like I did with ROF. The scale on the printed map will be 1.4cm = 10km. This is dependent on the size of the print out of course. But yes, solid lined square represents 10km. Each solid outlined square is further divided into 9 sections.

Jason

It's a map divided into 3parts for printing on A3 (pdf). Couriously the map I i'm working has 10km big squares and 3,3 small squares....as you told and as the printed one has - though the squares are nor the same. I'm attaching a part of the map I use for work and a photo of the map I use for distances

the printed map says left of the logo "one square = 10km.

post-23845-0-75059400-1411003937_thumb.jpg

post-23845-0-03743800-1411003953_thumb.jpg

post-23845-0-34603800-1411003982_thumb.jpg

Edited by indiaciki

If I had the data concerning each node(airfield) and the distance/heading to all adjacent nodes, I could modify a program I made a year ago to find the shortest path (ie. Dijkstra's Algorithm). The only problem developing this from my end would be creating a friendly UI for everyone to use and added additional functionality to the initial program to fit the needs addressed here, this would be a nice small project to add to the resume(still 1 year left till degree in computer engineering).

• 1CGS

If I had the data concerning each node(airfield) and the distance/heading to all adjacent nodes, I could modify a program I made a year ago to find the shortest path (ie. Dijkstra's Algorithm). The only problem developing this from my end would be creating a friendly UI for everyone to use and added additional functionality to the initial program to fit the needs addressed here, this would be a nice small project to add to the resume(still 1 year left till degree in computer engineering).

When I have all the data of locations we can talk. :-)

Making heading and distance information useful does not need a complicated interface at all.

Jason

Jason

• Upvote 1

Wow,  I had no idea how much area the game covered.  And now I can see a much better perspective of where I am from my home airfield of Grishin.  I have been choosing on line servers using maps that include that base.  This is driven by wanting to know just where I am at.  The in-game map just does not do it for me.  But this map does.  I have two large monitors and can have the map up on one of them.  Some times there are several of us that fly together and we go off to attack some distant airfield.  Just navigating there is a challenge.    Our navigator knew where he was going.  I am usually lost.

I found out from this map that Grishin is on the outside of the Volga.  I had everything upside down and inside out.  More my fault than the game maker.  But boy, does this map make all the difference in the world.

Hi indiaciki,

thanks again for this outstanding work and moreover for breaking it down into bitesize chunks of map. I tried to do it myself based on you original big map but didn't know how. Once again the laminating machine is warming up!

Great stuff and cheers.