6./ZG26_Gielow

BoS 1920x1080 High Settings Hardware

Hi guys!

I have very bad FPS problems in IL-2 BoS. My setup is AMD Phenom 2 955 Be 3.8GHz, MSI GTX 770 and 6Gb of ram. I play with 1920X1080 resolution, Vsync enabled and low settings. I use sweetFX.

Problem is, that in takeoff I get 20-30FPS and in fight mostly 20FPS. It's very low and I don't get how people can get 60FPS in multiplayer. I get good FPS in singleplayer but its almost impossible to play multiplayer. One day I got 60FPS whole game and scored 20 kills and died 4 times in normal EU server. FPS affects a lot to my gameplay.

With this setup I think it would be fair to get 60FPS. I can run BF3 with all settings full (EXcetp motionblur) at 120FPS. Also WT runs at 150FPS without Vsync enabled. This is only game that im suffering with FPS and dont know what to do. Is that graphics engine really this bad? Im very dissapointed. Im hoping that BoS is getting optimised over the time its going to be released.

Edited by Jurgenstrator

S!

Try disapbling VSync, it can smoothen the FPS but causes some tearing. And EDIT to my post, 4.0GHz and not 5.0GHz ;)

when i had a gtx 770 i had to run high settings with 2x aa for reasonable fps so yours should do the same, i didn`t have sweet fx so maybe you should try it without and see what results you get.

Also in nvidia settings change "power management mode " to maximum performance and see if that helps.

S!

I find that 2x FSAA is enough at 1920x1080, 4x is just excess FPS killing for quite a small gain in IQ. Sure if I had a CrossFire setup, then could use higher FSAA.

Thanks a lot for tips!

So I went and changed maximum performance mode, I'll see if that helps when I'm in game next time! I have already tried every basic thing, like disabling Vsync (I think Vsync helps smoothing the gameplay) and fooling around with AA settings. Haven't used any AA, because sweetFX wont work with it enabled. SweetFX doesn't affect, it makes my game look better without any FPS loss.

I think I got 10 or more extra FPS by overclocking my CPU from 3.4 to 3.8GHz. I heard that AMD processors have poor 1 core performance, so does BoS support multicore CPU's or just one core? So it's the processor that does the most job in this game? At least it feels so.. Some maps at some days give me 60fps whole game, and another day just 20. High above the clouds in every map 54-60fps constant. But at low alt its unplayable in multiplayer.

I updated my graphicscard just to get BoS running well and it didn't end with good results. At least I'm happy to play other games with full graphics. I'll continue testing and update the results.

Vsync prevents screen tearing by matching the game's frame rate to your monitor's refresh rate.

I had 16GB RAM, but one stick failed. I'm still using my old MS Sidewinder 2. No Track IR yet. I was holding out for the Oculus Rift, but I think Track IR might be an advantage in these games (just recently started playing combat flight sims again). 27" Asus LED monitor (1080p).

My System Specs:

CPU : i7 3770 K (not overclocked yet) H100i cooled

GPU : MSI GTX 780 (overclocked 20%)

RAM : 8GB Corsair Vengeance

Power : 750W

BOS Game Settings:

Graphics on Ultra, full AA, Vsync forced on (control panel) and matched in-game, Resolution 2560 x 1440 (downsampling)

For the most part, I'm getting a constant 60fps. From time to time, in multiplayer, if enough planes are one the screen at once, my fps will drop down to 55 or a little lower. It's still really smooth for me though. I'm sure that if I dropped down to 1080p, I could get a constant 60fps in all situations. I also think that if I disabled in-game AA, and injected SMAA via SweetFX, I could probably even bump it up to 2880 x 1620.

I'm impressed with the performance of this game, considering how good it looks. I can't even run Cliffs of Dover with max graphics at this resolution (even with the Team Fusion mods)!

S!

For nVidia you pay premium here so it is a no go. I do not pay +300€ extra to get some 5-10fps more, too expensive frame rates. I got better performance when I moved from the Xeon to i7-4790K as it runs at 5.0GHz and 4.4GHz on Turbo. Xeon ran at 3.4GHz.

Flanker, I'm interested in i7-4790k. Could you write the fps you get in multiplayer with this CPU now.

Thanks!

Edited by StG2_Manfred

S!

@Manfred: Can try a quickie to see what it gives :)

Most interesting would be the hard situations for the CPU, you know,a crowded furball at low alt over the airfield or Stalingrad. Because there I'm suffering the most fps drops with my Q9550 OC.

Thanks again, very appreciated! :)

S!

@Manfred. Went on quickly on EU Expert, but there were only 4 guys so no real reference I guess. No hickups over Stalingrad though. I might get the X99 chipset and see what it does, arriving in stock now :)

S!

With current hardware I get online on Stalingrad map and full server 45-110fps. Lowest in the thick of the action over Stalingrad with smoke, explosions, tracers and player planes. Average when not in action 80fps+ in cockpit view, over 100fps when looking to sky or distance. Will see what X99 + DDR4 will do :):P

I am able to stay at 144fps constantly on Ultra preset.

i7 2700k @ 4.8ghz

780Ti X2 (just using one card for this game)

Raid 0 SSDs

Does the game have an inbuilt fps display or do I need frapps, also hopefully they can give us a few more options to tweak the settings ingame instead of just the 3 options

Does the game have an inbuilt fps display or do I need frapps, also hopefully they can give us a few more options to tweak the settings ingame instead of just the 3 options

No, there is no built-in fps-display, you do need some external software ( i prefer Bandicam over Fraps..).

And regarding graphic presets- dev`s stated that they are here to stay, no ability to tweak is planned.

Because with Vsync on, it will synchronize it with the monitor refresh rate and assuming you use a 60hz monitor, with lower than 60 FPS, it will go down to 30 FPS to sychronize. Fraps only shows the FPS your graphics card could supply to the monitor without Vsync.

The way you're using it, you will actually have a steady 30 FPS all the time (unless it goes lower than 30 FPS, then it will show 20 FPS), not a FPS more or less.

So overall, if you stay with Vsync on and are happy with 30 FPS (which you seem to be), you can just crank up all settings, as long as fraps shows more than 30 FPS with no performance loss whatsoever.

Unless you use triple buffering. Then it could show everything between 30 and 58 FPS, but with the 1 frame input lag.

No, If you use 60Hz (almost LCD, LED monitor out there) monitor , and Vsync on, FPS is limitted to 60.

and even  FPS lower than 60, it won't go down to 30.  

Edited by Imur6

Vsync + double buffering + 60 Hz monitor + between 30 and 59 FPS = 30 visible FPS

Believe it or not, that's how it works.

Hi guys!

I have very bad FPS problems in IL-2 BoS. My setup is AMD Phenom 2 955 Be 3.8GHz, MSI GTX 770 and 6Gb of ram. I play with 1920X1080 resolution, Vsync enabled and low settings. I use sweetFX.

Problem is, that in takeoff I get 20-30FPS and in fight mostly 20FPS. It's very low and I don't get how people can get 60FPS in multiplayer. I get good FPS in singleplayer but its almost impossible to play multiplayer. One day I got 60FPS whole game and scored 20 kills and died 4 times in normal EU server. FPS affects a lot to my gameplay.

With this setup I think it would be fair to get 60FPS. I can run BF3 with all settings full (EXcetp motionblur) at 120FPS. Also WT runs at 150FPS without Vsync enabled. This is only game that im suffering with FPS and dont know what to do. Is that graphics engine really this bad? Im very dissapointed. Im hoping that BoS is getting optimised over the time its going to be released.

You need to upgrade that cpu, Honestly the FX amd series is crap and I have one but it's the 8 core and I have it at 4.4ghz. I'd go intel even though you have to shell out a bit more cash for it. 

Just a heads up if anyone is thinking of upgrading their graphics card Newegg has a good deal on the MSI GTX 770 ( $ 280 ) after rebate.

I currently have the MSI 760 and am even thinking of selling this and upgrading at this price. Something to think of also is this comes with a digital download of Borderlands and you can also put this up for sale to recoup the cost if you are not into this sort of stuff. Sale through 9/15. 

Here's a link to the sale if interested 

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Sep-0-2014/BTSFinal-09/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL090914&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL090914-_-EMC-090914-Index-_-E0-_-Items&et_cid=11035&et_rid=139318

cheers--sf

Edited by soarfeat
  • Upvote 1

Just a heads up if anyone is thinking of upgrading their graphics card Newegg has a good deal on the MSI GTX 770 ( $ 280 ) after rebate.

I currently have the MSI 760 and am even thinking of selling this and upgrading at this price. Something to think of also is this comes with a digital download of Borderlands and you can also put this up for sale to recoup the cost if you are not into this sort of stuff. Sale through 9/15. 

Here's a link to the sale if interested 

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/Sep-0-2014/BTSFinal-09/index-landing.html?nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL090914&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL090914-_-EMC-090914-Index-_-E0-_-Items&et_cid=11035&et_rid=139318

cheers--sf

Good deal. 

You need to upgrade that cpu, Honestly the FX amd series is crap and I have one but it's the 8 core and I have it at 4.4ghz. I'd go intel even though you have to shell out a bit more cash for it. 

Yup, you are completely right! I did upgrade to Intel..NEVER amd processor again. Arma, IL-2 and DCS runs butter smooth now with highest settings.

My current setup:

Mobo:                       z97-c

CPU:                         i7 4790K + Mugen4 cooler

GPU:                        MSI GTX 770 Gaming

Soundcard:              Asus Xonar Essence ST + Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250ohm

RAM:                       16Gb DDR3@1600MHz

SSD:                        240Gb Kingston Fury

HDD:                       1Tb can't remember what

PSU:                        600W CoolerMaster

Logitech 3D Pro joystick, G510 keyboard and G400s mouse.

I play at 1080p and get 90FPS on ultra, I had to enable Vsync because of screen tearing.

FPS alone wont tell you much about actual performance of a sim on specific PC. Thats what Ive learned over the years...may years of simming....Smooth performance might be subjective but rl experience, where player didnt notice any signifficant or very noticable slowdown or any other issue when playing in MP....With that said, Im (in most cases) 50+ FPS...and thers no noticable slowdowns which will impact on my gameplay experience (all that with video settings I posted before)...which is more important than pure numbers...you can have avg FPS of 45 and be happy camper...then again you can jump to 75 and drop to 20 now and then and have a crappy experience...ROF engine is pretty good optimised now (with its limitations ofcourse)....I had it running on my old GTX 470 on max no probs...I NOTICED FPS drop only when using full zoom view....now, with GTX 660Ti its gone....all that is on 1920x1200 monitor with 60Hz....

After all, you all can do a test with your rigs...fire up ROF, join crowdy server and try different video settings....-10%...and its what you will probably have in BOS....

BTW, fot those who dont know...its always good to have "clean" win7 installation just for gaming..lets say without antiviruses, firewalls and all other resource hogs...Its always good to defragment disc after every update with MyDefrag (its free) and to clean registry with Wise registry cleaner (free) or Yamicsoft Windows 7 manager.....

links for download:

Wise registry cleaner  I say don't get the bug if you don't have the money you can have has much fun on a med range pc has a hi one

MyDefrag

What are your settings in nvidia control panel for BOS,..??

I'm running with everything full on at 1920 x 1080i completely smoothly on a GTX580!

This software is not GPU hungry at all. I intended to purchase a new GPU when I installed BOS but realised pretty quickly that I could wait a while.

I run GTX760, with full hd monitor 23" at 50 fps,for my choise...

never freeze or blur...

my setting:

2a960bl.jpg

RIP Custom Graphic Settings.

RIP Custom Graphic Settings.

I will never understand their logic in not carrying this on with BOS.

Heck a lot of fun I get out of this hobby of mine - building pc's and flying flight sims, is tweaking both my system and the simulator's graphic settings for my best visuals and performance.

Have the devs explained the logic behind 86ing the custom graphic settings? Even crappy console ports have custom graphic settings. If I want locked and capped settings I would of been a consoler & not a hardware junkie. I hope someone will find a way to overcome the lock via being able to edit the config file?

S!

Give those options back, PLEASE! :unsure: That is a very simple GUI to use also :cool:

Edited by LLv34_Flanker
  • Upvote 1

I'm running with everything full on at 1920 x 1080i completely smoothly on a GTX580!

This software is not GPU hungry at all. I intended to purchase a new GPU when I installed BOS but realised pretty quickly that I could wait a while.

interesting...my old i7 max usage in BOS is 85 % and gtx 670 is 100% loaded

What about people running @ 2560x1440 resolution?

For me the game looks like crap at high resolutions no matter if I select balanced, high, ultra, 2x or 4x AA.

The devs really need to work on changing the API to DX 10/11, the DX 9.0 API is ancient, born Dec 2002.

For me the game looks like crap at high resolutions no matter if I select balanced, high, ultra, 2x or 4x AA.

The devs really need to work on changing the API to DX 10/11, the DX 9.0 API is ancient, born Dec 2002.

Whats even funnier in ROF that "old" dx9 looks nice...for dx9...here, its like crippled Dx9...

1. Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 900D Super Tower 

2. Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 

3. Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition LGA 2011

4. Processor: Intel Core i7 4930k Ivy Bridge-E LGA 2011 6-core CPU

5. Graphics Cards: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Classified Hydro Copper SLI

6. SSD: 1TB Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 1TB

7. Memory: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) With Light Bar Upgrade Kit

8. XSPC Photon 270 Tube Glass Cylinder Reservoir / Pump Combo (D5 Vario)

9. Koolance's CPU-380I Water Block

10. Koolance's Radiator's, (2) Radiator, 4x120mm 30-FPI Copper

11. Radiator Fans: 8 Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition

12. Case Fans: 3 Corsair Air Series AF120, 120mm Blue LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan

13. Case Fans: 1 Corsair Air Series AF140, 140mm Blue LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan

14. Dell 30" Ultra Sharp Monitor 2560x1600

7_1390674321.JPG

Edited by Fightn_Irish

Fightn_Irish: That is one BEAUTIFUL setup you have!

Just got a BenQ BL3200PT and it sure looks sweet at 2560 x 1440 on a 32" monitor!

I just received a new EVGA GTX 970 FTW, they are currently running a free back plate promotion for it, have submitted for it - once it arrives will get it installed and the card put in, to replace my GTX 770 SSC,

While not currently flying it, I may have to launch BOS just to see what difference it makes...

I have an i5 4670k at stock speeds with an Asrock extreme 6 mobo. 8 Gigs of ram and an AMD r9 280x 3gb graphics card. I still get only 30 fps on the ground on multiplayer servers and 60 steady on the air ( but after patch 1.005 im getting very high pings [250-300] so ruberbanding became an issue

I run at full max settings with Vsync on and the 4k lod fix ar 1080p on a 720p TV

Any suggestions???

I have an i5 4670k at stock speeds with an Asrock extreme 6 mobo. 8 Gigs of ram and an AMD r9 280x 3gb graphics card. I still get only 30 fps on the ground on multiplayer servers and 60 steady on the air ( but after patch 1.005 im getting very high pings [250-300] so ruberbanding became an issue

I run at full max settings with Vsync on and the 4k lod fix ar 1080p on a 720p TV

Any suggestions???

I have a lot of problems with micro freezes / stuttering / whatever when playing this at max settings.

Its very hard to keep other planes in sight with headtracking when the screen freezes for about 0.5 seconds every 5-10 seconds.

Resolution is 2560x1440, I can confirm that it doesnt look that good in higher resolutions. I cant explain why, but its like everything is a bit blurry or something like that.

gtx780ti and I7-4790 should be enough to run this game at max, but nope... 30-40 fps and microstutters.

(IL2-CLoD runs fine on max and looks fantastic)

Any tips to what I can improve? I'm out of ideas and without custom graphic settings I cant get rid of this problem :(

Edited by -DW-Auge

I have a lot of problems with micro freezes / stuttering / whatever when playing this at max settings.

Its very hard to keep other planes in sight with headtracking when the screen freezes for about 0.5 seconds every 5-10 seconds.

Resolution is 2560x1440, I can confirm that it doesnt look that good in higher resolutions. I cant explain why, but its like everything is a bit blurry or something like that.

gtx780ti and I7-4790 should be enough to run this game at max, but nope... 30-40 fps and microstutters.

(IL2-CLoD runs fine on max and looks fantastic)

Any tips to what I can improve? I'm out of ideas and without custom graphic settings I cant get rid of this problem :(

You should bexpect able to turn on FXAA in Nvidia control panel to get rid of jaggies and go unto camera settings to turn off cinematic effect in the camera menu.