Sign in to follow this  
Praetor

Pilot log/roster with medals, ranks, etc

Remember the old F-117a, or F-19 days?  Back way before even Falcon 3.0.  

You had a virtual pilot, and as you flew missions and won awards or were granted promotions, your medals and ranks were reflected on your uniform.  It was a pretty cool way to keep track of things.

021-CMOH-FTW.jpg

This would be VERY cool in BOS.  Imagine all the various levels of the Iron Cross, ranks being reflected, flight hours, etc.  

Gunship 2000 had it as well

Gunship%202000_2.png

And F19:

J3fByjn.jpg

As you progressed you would slowly add more and more ribbons.  You became attached to your pilot, and missions had a deeper sense of meaning and urgency.

• Upvote 1

Same thing in IL2 1946 with DCG, but taking it further, you had a whole squad (with names and ranks) it affected. After a mission people were granted medals, promotions, killed and captured reports, and new members added to make up for losses. Also skills increased with sorties flown. Really gave you a sense of the people flying the machines.

Having a bad mission and losing some good pilots and getting greenhorn replacements was a humble feeling.

As much as the concpet would be awesome, 777 has stated many times they cant/wont do it. Hoping for someone to make DCG for BoS.

What's DCG?

One of the mods that helped IL2 orginal last so long. Offline or online dynamic campaign genterator. Takes the pilots, supply lines, kills, crashlandings, ground and air war into account when generating the next mission.

Basically simulating the theatre with all the inputs of previous missions, including pilot actions. As minor as a pilot promotion, to as major as an airfield being overun and destroyed.

Here is some info and screens. Scroll all the way to see the pilot info, with pictures, and names. Really put the human feel to a campaign. I am hoping something can be done like this in BoS.

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&p=60932

No idea how I missed the boat with 1946.  Was too busy with Falcon I guess.  Never played it.

Is the community still decent?

No idea how I missed the boat with 1946.  Was too busy with Falcon I guess.  Never played it.

Is the community still decent?

I have not played online for years, but there are still many servers running nightly missions. I am sure the community is still strong. HSFX is the mod most online run.

Offline is still going strong with new campaigns, mods etc (Ultra pack, DBW, HSFX). You can still play the most in depth campaigns in WWII with 1946, in every theatre, and just about every plane. Burma? Check. Midway? Check. BoB? Check. Afrika? Check. etc .etc. Want a campaign with a Me262, F6F, FW190, B17, P47, .... you get the point.

Picking up 46' for around 10 bucks is a steal when you mod it. Just remember there are a lot of mods....a loooot. Hopefully BoS will get to this level in a few years and we will have no need for 46'.

It would be really cool to see your score/rank/medals and maybe kill bars on your plane and on the leaderboards until you die (death/capture not bailout over safe) then they get wiped. Would make tracking your score similar to real life and also give people something to live for creating a slightly more realistic environment online due to player taking actions to preserve themselves. Adding value to your life. Beside how cool would it be to see the kill tally for your most recent life on your plane. 

Edited by driftaholic

It would be really cool to see your score/rank/medals and maybe kill bars on your plane and on the leaderboards until you die (death/capture not bailout over safe) then they get wiped. Would make tracking your score similar to real life and also give people something to live for creating a slightly more realistic environment online due to player taking actions to preserve themselves. Adding value to your life. Beside how cool would it be to see the kill tally for your most recent life on your plane. 

Honestly? For me leaderboard and tracking is about as cool as steam achievements, trophies on Playstation, or tags on Xbox.....which is silly and pointless to me.

Unless you are playing a FPS or a race sim leaderboards are something I couldnt care less for.

Now, doing what DCG does as far as stat/pilot/plane/supply tracking goes, it is not about "scores" but adding the human side of a battle with either an online campaign, or a single player campaign. Its about making more than "fly up here, shoot this, land" and go to the next mission without seeing the results of the battle.

I just like to feel attached to my pilot.

As for 1946...I have a fresh install.  I'm overwhelmed with the mods.  Which mods should I get to be up and runing?

I just like to feel attached to my pilot.

As for 1946...I have a fresh install.  I'm overwhelmed with the mods.  Which mods should I get to be up and runing?

sas1946.com is the place to get setup. Its been a while since I looked, but I ran 2 different installs. One was ultrapack with Dark Blue World and DCG. That was for offline where I spent most of my time. There is also nice sound mods, smoke mods, texture mods, etc. DL all you want and use the mod installer to enable or disable ones you want or dont want.

Also look at HSFX.

Is there an order to install them, or can I just pile on what I want?  I come from the FSX community too, where order is very important and a lot of things are incompatible.

I really suggest looking at sas1946 or something...since this is already way off topic. Or pm me.

Honestly? For me leaderboard and tracking is about as cool as steam achievements, trophies on Playstation, or tags on Xbox.....which is silly and pointless to me.

Unless you are playing a FPS or a race sim leaderboards are something I couldnt care less for.

Now, doing what DCG does as far as stat/pilot/plane/supply tracking goes, it is not about "scores" but adding the human side of a battle with either an online campaign, or a single player campaign. Its about making more than "fly up here, shoot this, land" and go to the next mission without seeing the results of the battle.

I don't really care about online tracking or leader-boards. I want to find a way for pilots to care more about their own "lives" which in turn would give a more realistic experience online. 

I don't really care about online tracking or leader-boards. I want to find a way for pilots to care more about their own "lives" which in turn would give a more realistic experience online.

I agree. Its only been implemented well for a ww2 Sim in 1946. For BoS being concentrated on single player they seem to be missing the pilot connection.

I'm looking forward to getting a glimpse soon, into what they've come up with as far as campaign/single player.  I think tracking a pilots career is however, going to be up to us to do manually from what information they've released so far...

Edited by JagdNeun

I'm looking forward to getting a glimpse soon, into what they've come up with as far as campaign/single player.  I think tracking a pilots career is however, going to be up to us to do manually from what information they've released so far...

And that is what is a bit depressing to me. 80% of the game is focused on single player as someone stated they said, yet it seems very slim from info that has been released.

A career mode similar to RoF and Pat Wilson would be great. It really brings the sim to life when you add the human element to it.

S!

Something that makes you feel being a part of a squadron instead of: choose a plane and mission, accomplish mission and land. Rinse and repeat. EAW had it nice and also Falcon 4.0 etc. Immersion, please!

• Upvote 1

Oh, dying squadron members... I feel a flashback from Rainbox Six 3 coming on.

The game went out of character names before I could finish! :P

Would be fun to be able to take your buddy along in co-op as well, I think :) Would love to play the campaign with someone.

There is not much radio chatter and the bots doesn't really tell you there is someone on your six.

I always enjoyed the pilot roster in CFS2. Having babysat the flight for a few sorties, I would then move the top scoring pilot to lead the second element of our flight - a sad day when he bought it into the drink.

Oops, I just started a thread "suggestion for unlockable items" and it was basically this.  I guess it sat there too long for me to delete it.

Yes, this sim needs a strong virtual life immersion : all your squadron at least, with medals, promotions, killed and captured reports, and new members added etc, but why not some popularity ratings in relation with the hierarchy, allowing us and our virtual mates of our squadron to improve our influence into it, (I remember I loved my rank progression in "1946", and it was a pretty poor system though) our flight positions, our weapons improves (always according to history of course), it will improve a lot your rather unpopular unlock system. Give us some histories in the History, give us some being a WWII fighter pilot sensations, all the way.

Remember the old F-117a, or F-19 days?  Back way before even Falcon 3.0.  

You had a virtual pilot, and as you flew missions and won awards or were granted promotions, your medals and ranks were reflected on your uniform.  It was a pretty cool way to keep track of things.

021-CMOH-FTW.jpg

This would be VERY cool in BOS.  Imagine all the various levels of the Iron Cross, ranks being reflected, flight hours, etc.  

Gunship 2000 had it as well

Gunship%202000_2.png

And F19:

J3fByjn.jpg

As you progressed you would slowly add more and more ribbons.  You became attached to your pilot, and missions had a deeper sense of meaning and urgency.

I could not agree more. I loved those Microprose titles. I also miss the idea of earning Ribbons for lower awards as well as seeing my pilots in Dress uniforms showing off the awards.

Same thing in IL2 1946 with DCG, but taking it further, you had a whole squad (with names and ranks) it affected. After a mission people were granted medals, promotions, killed and captured reports, and new members added to make up for losses. Also skills increased with sorties flown. Really gave you a sense of the people flying the machines.

Having a bad mission and losing some good pilots and getting greenhorn replacements was a humble feeling.

As much as the concpet would be awesome, 777 has stated many times they cant/wont do it. Hoping for someone to make DCG for BoS.

The best example of watching multiple crewmen get awarded would have to be "B-17: The Mighty Eighth". You got to follow about 120 Crewmen if you chose to fly a mission with 12 Bombers (10 Crewmen each).