Sign in to follow this  
viperrm64

All IL2 BOS problems with ATI 6970 cards solved!!!!!!

GO AND BUY NVIDIA GTX 770's IN SLI !!!!!!

Sorry all,

After many, many weeks of performance issues, stuttering and black screens using my old ATI Twin Frozr HD6970 2GB graphics card my wife very kindly(she's the one with all the money!!!) bought me a brand new gaming rig with an overclocked I7 4790K CPU and most importantly two NVidia GTX7702GB cards running in SLI and OH MY GOD WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!

Il2 BOS looks better as the Anti Aliasing is better controlled and I'm getting 60fps easily, I would probably get more if I set the FPS limiter higher but at this setting it runs as smooth as silk no matter how many planes are in the sky or explosions are taking place or, oh hell you poor ATI 6970 users know what I mean.

It was an early 50th birthday present(not half a century until the  end of September) and it cost just a tad over £1700 but included four drives(one 500 ssd, one 500GB Velociraptor for IL2 BOS  and DCS, and two 1TB drives for storage) a new Fractal case and Win 7 64 Bit with 16GB DDR3 RAM( will upgrade to Win 7 Pro and get 32GB RAM when I am even nicer to her!!).

I understand not everybody can afford these type of machines and I'm sure there's cheaper alternatives out there but I really recommend getting rid of your old ATI HD cards and going with either the new R series AMD cards or the new NVidia cards. The difference in other games are also staggering, so far Sniper Elite V3 which I could only run on medium settings with a lot of other stuff turned down or off now runs at over 60FPS on highest settings with all turned on. BF4 runs like a train and more stable than ever before(had it on day of release never run completely stable since then) and Grid Autosport (for all you budding Lewis Hamilton's) runs on extreme settings at around 80-90 FPS maxed out.

DCS at the moment does not really support SLI very well or even DX11 but with the announced DCS World 2.0 for  the future that will all change I am sure and even as it is it still runs smoother than it did on my old rig.

So there it is guys and gal's a bus drivers(yes that's what I do for a living, don't laugh!!!) either start saving those pennies or marry a rich woman, or like me a woman with a very good job who's very, very kind hearted and spoils me from time to time.

Cheers Rob.

Edited by viperrm64
  • Upvote 1

hi, its not a gpu problem its a game problem.

every other games run just fine on my 6970 gpu, and someone on this forum confirmed that there are stutters on gtx770 and amd R9 290 card too.

I have constant 50 fps on balanced settings but also extreme stutters.

Good for you viper.  I'm glad for you.  I am still locked with 30 frames just so I don't get stuttering.  Maybe by Christmas I can get a newer card.  :(   Or maybe they will fix the weird framelock stuttering issue.  :rolleyes:

Well Viper, you will have to be very careful to spend good time with your wife or she will become very upset with with you and herself for buying the rig.  If not, you may find your fine new rig smashed all to  pieces.

I have buy a 770 OC 4gb in the last days and with the last patch my performance fall significantly... (6790 was my other gpu)

:(

A generous wife who also understands what a gaming machine is? You are a lucky man!

hi, its not a gpu problem its a game problem.

every other games run just fine on my 6970 gpu, and someone on this forum confirmed that there are stutters on gtx770 and amd R9 290 card too.

I have constant 50 fps on balanced settings but also extreme stutters.

lol, those other games have nothing to do with IL2BOS...Because those other games don't require a whole lot more GPU?  ever think of that?

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

I'm running a r9 290 and i'm glad to say I have no problems with it. V-Sync on. And water cooled.

I'm running a r9 290 and i'm glad to say I have no problems with it. V-Sync on. And water cooled.

same here, the r9 290 is a beast though it's titan fast with a small oc.

FX 8320 at 4.4ghz

R9 290 ocd

8 gigs

lol, those other games have nothing to do with IL2BOS...Because those other games don't require a whole lot more GPU? ever think of that?

I dont think so. Rof and bos demand more cpu power than gpu. I run rof (chanel map) at max settings without stutters. And bos was ok before the me 109g2 patch. Now i have to play with vsync dissabled (it helps a little) and this with TIR is pain in the...

I dont want to buy new gpu for a one game which is not optimized. But its only alfa, so ill see after the release.

I really don't think bos can use some work optimization the game. It is one of my biggest gripes along with those presets instead of advanced settings

S!

290X running BoS just fine. Don't blame the card if other games run fine, as they do for me. BoS has the worst performance of them all, even it is not bad as I run 60fps. I had same dips in performance in Mechwarrior Online, a known "The way you are meant to be shafted" game, running DirectX 9.0c, but when it got DirectX 11 tables turned. Rock solid performance. Go post driver issues in HArdware section, linky to AMD's driver team. No use to moan over something if you do not report it ;)

Thanks guys, I did say that the latest AMD R series cards are equally as good as the NVidia GTX cards, it's just I didn't get those because i felt after seven years of ATI cards I needed to change over to NVidia. I am sure and as I have read in many online graphics cards reviews that the R290 is awesome in its own right and even the R270 in certain forms it's the same old story, you pay your money and you take your choice and as said previously it isn't always the hardware but the software(games) that can be the deciding factor in FPS and all other manor of problems.

I should add that even though my new rig is awesome ITS ALREADY ####ING OUT OF DATE!!!!

Thanks for your kind replys

Rob "Viper" Mason.

Edited by viperrm64

S!

My rig is also dated already, if I wished to stay on top of things :P But why would I need to invest 4000€ on a rig that is obsolete or dated, depending on your view, in a year or 2 with new hardware coming out. I am happy to be ne or two steps behind as long as games I play run at decent 60fps or more. The coming nVidia Maxwell based GTX 970 and 980 look interesting, especially if nVidia won't charge the usual premium. 

Game stutters like crazy on my 290 when doing ground attack. Get's me killed almost every single time. Latest game FC4 is unplayable on AMD hardware. I am so fucking tired of AMD getting shafted in every single game. This graphics card is a beast and gets treated like a second class citizen. In BF4 which is way more graphics intensive than this game it blows that game out of the water. It's really starting to piss me off. 

i have a HD 6970 OC to 6990 specs, with 6990 bios, so basically it is a 6990. the game runs bad with it.

in single player with few planes i can run balanced, but its no use it will have big drops with much happening and to much tearing for multiplayer, cant spot stuff.

i lowered to the "lowest" setting now, i can hardly read cockpit dials, ground looks like crap but its kinda fluid with tearing, and i can even run 2xAA so i can actually see other planes with no icons.

there is some setting turned on that kills it for me, ROF i can play fine, i have tweaked graphic settings, BOS runs like crap :(

where are graphic setting please? this is no consol! give same options as in ROF and all will be fine!

the system created to keep people from turning stuff off to gain an advantage(as if that would be possible), puts me at a disadvantage cause i cant play the game fluidly while i am well above min specs :(

i have a HD 6970 OC to 6990 specs, with 6990 bios, so basically it is a 6990. 

An AMD 6990 is a dual GPU card that runs at a slower clock speed than a 6970...

i am sorry you are right, i keep mixing this up.

its a 6950 with 6970 BIOS running on 6970 specs. nut sure why i keep calling it 6990.