Sign in to follow this  
J2_Trupobaw

Is "rubberband" effect related to Force Feedback in stick?

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do we have a corelation?

• I use FFB stick and believe BoS flight physics is realistic
    • I use FFB stick and believe BoS flight physics is lacking
    • I use non-FFB stick and believe BoS flight physics is realistic
    • I use non-FFB stick and believe BoS flight physics is lacking

The opinions on BoS flight physics are very divided, with many people claiming that planes here have mass, inertia and move through resisting air like in no other sim, while many others say behaviour of planes is simply unrealistic. I happen to be firmly in the former camp, but recent breakdown  :o: of my FFB2 made me wonder. You see, with my backup T.16000M I have no problems flying sims with less noticable "mass, inertia and air resistance" effect, like DCS or CloD. THere is a difference, but I manage no worse than before. I've tried BoS' gentler cousin Rise of Flight next and while I can still fly these kites, without ffb I feel like piloting drunk, with only very general idea of my what is my plane doing. BoS, I refuse to fly until I'll have FFb back. I know I'd be barely in control of these planes if I tried. 

So, it may be just me being addicted to luxury and not general trend, but maybe there is correlation? Maybe one of things that (statistically) separate people who say planes behave unpredictably and people who say physics are spot on is ffb giving extra feedback to the later, making ffb stick more a requirement than luxury ? Worth a shot, hence the poll. 

Please do not turn the thread into argument over games perceived flaws. We're not blaming the problem here, but trying to find if ffb is part of solution. 

Edited by Trupobaw

I tried FFB once (G940 with RoF) and didn't like it. I actually thought it made flying more difficult, especially aiming. It's possible the product I bought was defective. I use a non-FFB stick and don't have any trouble with this sim or others.

Maybe would be good to have an "I don't know" option as well? :)

Did not think of that  :( . Just ignore the poll, then?

I tried FFB once (G940 with RoF) and didn't like it. I actually thought it made flying more difficult, especially aiming. It's possible the product I bought was defective. I use a non-FFB stick and don't have any trouble with this sim or others.

It does make aiming more difficult, but it also helps predicting plane reactions and feel forces working on the plane. Kind of tie-in, if you aim while flying plane on the edge you are less likely to hit before you stall and less likely to stall after you hit.

I have a G940 but as I've never flown a plane I can't attest to the flight physics. However I would love to it to get a 2nd look as there are some things that aren't the same as in other sims. 

I have a Microsoft FFB2 stick which works great with every other sim , but I cannot get it working properly here.Fighters especially seem to be yo-yoing ( i.e. rubber banding) all over the place after turns in Normal settings. I am thinking of getting another stick just for this sim & upcoming Campaigns that require Normal setting.

Does anyone have a solution? :cool:

I have a MS FFB2 and CH pro Pedals.  I have curves set for my yaw.  I do encounter more bobbing around the center of gravity with the 109 than Russian aircraft.  Now whether this is normal to the 109 I do not know.  Maybe someone who has flown a 109 can chime in.  :)  (And what a lucky bastard they are.)

In RL I used to fly, albeit ultralights, for what it is worth.  Flying in an ultralight is like flying a lawn chair.  You feel every single bit of air turbulence (some of the aircraft in ROF remind me a lot of it).  While this would effect the entire aircraft up, down, etc. I don't recall the turbulence pitching it around the center of gravity like what I am experiencing with the BOS 109.  This may be something that heavier aircraft experience.  I have only experienced this as a passenger and even a Cessna felt like a flying tank.

I will say that I experience the sensation of flight more in IL2 BOS than IL2 1946 or Clod.  The other closest sim would be RoF.  Sorry, can't speak to DCS.  With FFB I can feel the weight, speed and inertia of the aircraft.  The graphics allow for a great estimation of the proximity to the ground.

Is this bobbing effect experienced at all speeds or just under a certain speed?

It may just depend on which FFB stick you have.......and what settings you have set up for the game. I have a lot of flexibility with my 6 or 7 year old Microsoft Sidewinder. An oldie but a goodie and really solid and realistic control.  Guys, just try various settings and maybe you'll find that "sweet spot".  

I have a FF stick and used to think BoS was very good. But, for me, that all change with September updates and now I have a problem. So voted 2nd option.

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman