Spinnetto

Wheres the sound?

in IL2, you can hear all kinds of stuff - flap motors etc... I just watched a video of Kermit Weeks flying the 190A5, and it was so much louder with a lot more going on than the game, or earlier IL2 games seem to do... Is there a setting somewhere, or just a very different sound model?

• Upvote 1

I hear way more in Battle of Stalingrad than I had previously in IL-2 1946.

Which aircraft are you flying? That might be a good starting point.

Hmm. sorry, should have provided more info. I'm a FW190 guy, and haven't flown anything else. Just seems very subdued without the volume way jacked up, and the motor just isn't "thumpy" like the real thing... HSFX sounds more real to me... Check the startup in particular.. overwhelms the mic

Kermit FPV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqbUahsiHg

Hmm. sorry, should have provided more info. I'm a FW190 guy, and haven't flown anything else. Just seems very subdued without the volume way jacked up, and the motor just isn't "thumpy" like the real thing... HSFX sounds more real to me... Check the startup in particular.. overwhelms the mic

Kermit FPV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqbUahsiHg

Certainly an interesting video. TBH, I don't think this is something we'd want to replicate. The mic is clipping during the entire recording so it's not very representative of what it actually sounds like. The sound is just too much for what is probably a fairly small mic not designed for that kind of pickup and it's being overwhelmed.

The inside of any small aircraft tends to be noisy... I know going up in Cessna's that ear protection is pretty much something you want to do. So everything is kind of subdued behind the ear protection. I don't have the Premium so I don't have the FW190 right now and I can't compare but I'd say the devs generally speaking have the noise/feeling level tuned around the right level. The radial engines in the La-5 and FW190 might be a different experience.

I generally turn up my in game sound to max. Then regulate it in windows. That way all in game sounds come through. Like hit sounds and engine start sounds. Just a little tip there.

Yep, there is a limit to what you'd want to replicate.  That being said, nothing against you turning up your speakers.  YouTube videos and poor cameras are always a bad substitute for hearing the real thing. 

PS: Haven't looked lately but there is also the option of adjusting just engine sound, right?  Turn everything else to 70% and engines to 100% perhaps? 

Edited by Elbows

its not the volume, its the sound quality... seems to be missing a lot. Also, not saying to replicate mic clipping! Just showing that the various noises are LOUD and there's lots of sounds there. So far the sound engine seems inferior to other games and very little like the real thing. The FW in particular has a very distinct "thump" sound like a giant Harley. Totally missing in the game. Not a deal breaker, just an observation. 

There really isn't anything missing. If you want loud, that is on you to turn up the sounds. They aren't going to blow out everyone else's sound system. Also, you would have a headset on that would cancel out a lot of the noise so you could do something very basic, like hear your wingman/wingleader/ground control.

I think they added more sounds after the update that came out yesterday. Try again. The game still isn't done so they are adding stuff. Personally I find BoS has great sound compared to anything previous in the IL2 series.

IL-2 Sturmovik: BoS (alpha) - Bf.109 Sound Test:

I think the devs could do a better job on the sound engine. There is a video on youtube in the really early stage of the game and the engine sounds from that clip are more realistic sounding than what we have at 70% complete.

I don't know, my game still sounds like that. I had to turn my in-game audio down to 35% so that I could hear over TS, but when I pump it up to 75%+ - sounds just like that video. I also have the bit rate set to high. There is a noticeable difference in the effects being more pronounced at the various sound levels you can set inside the game. Less than 50% and sounds are there but they don't jump right out at you, because everything in general is muted. Set it to 70%+ and it's totally different. My windows audio tab is set to 100% as well for volume.