Chuck_Owl

High Altitude Level Bombing Guide - Pe-2 & He-111

Bloody hell Chuck, I used your He-111 guide to get started with it yesterday and I've got to say that that is one freak'n awesome guide you've put together. And I love the fuel weight comparisons you've made in that and the Pe-2 guide, lol (which I've just now had a quick glance at). It's this sort of community support which will really help the sim "get out there". Kudos and looking forward to getting it on with the Pe-2 in due course, so to speak. ;-)

Quick question Chuck.

3000m height.

Wind coming in from 15 degrees, aircraft is on a bearing of say 295 degrees.

The correct calculation, would that be 295 - 15 (270), and then 360 - 270 to obtain 90 degrees from the right of the aircraft?

Quick question Chuck.

3000m height.

Wind coming in from 15 degrees, aircraft is on a bearing of say 295 degrees.

The correct calculation, would that be 295 - 15 (270), and then 360 - 270 to obtain 90 degrees from the right of the aircraft?

80 degrees right.

360 - 295 = 65 degrees. 65 + 15 = 80 degrees, thus 80 degrees right.

Thanks very much for the guides, they got me up to speed quickly.

Awesome work!

Thanks for posting all that great info on HE-111 specs, controls etc.  I actually learned a lot and will put it to good use next time I jump into my 111.  Much appreciated.....Happy Trails.   (Contrails that is...lol)  :salute:

If I can get the sim working(no Hotas profiles or keymaps provided Duh in this sim)I don't want to learn it properly.

That's half the fun.

Just going out there with some bombs and seiing if they hit something.

Would be a very boring sim if you done everything by the letter.

Watching adept pilots on you tube is so boring because you know he's going to hit everytime.

I prefer the pilots that have fun.

I am not a narcissist.

Edited by Proudtiger

For this kind of fun just use the "War Thunder" mode: active the "CCIP aiming helper" and watch the yellow circle - through plane floor (wall hack) - pass over the target, then drop the bombs...

But in the end you need use the knobs for altitude/speed/wind to put the "CCIP" circle in the center or crosshair.

And setting unlimited fuel and ammo, one can bomb the whole map in one flight.  :)  

Have fun.

Edited by Sokol1

Is there a way to access the mission map from the bombardier's position?  Having to jump to pilot's seat to open map wastes valuable seconds when trying to line up on target.

No, to speed this change I remap the keys for:

N= bombsight

M=map (full screen, the "GPS screen" mini-maps are disabled)

So:  

N, M = map in less than a second.  :)

M, N = bombsight again

Mapping this "N,M" in joystick button (Joy2key, XPadder, HOTAS soft) help:

1 press = bombsight next press map, next cockpit, next bombsight

2 fast press = map if are in cockpit, cockpit if are in bombsight.

If are in bombsight 1 press map, to return to bombsing 2 press.

In fighters the N is ignored and change between map and cockpit with 1 press.

BTW - When leave the bombsight for the pilot position the camera POV are pointing for the last side to where mouse are moved in bombsight interface, very annoying.

To minimize this, the key N are set too for "Reset camera", what force the POV for go back for straight ahead when leave the bombsight.

Edited by Sokol1

If I can get the sim working(no Hotas profiles or keymaps provided Duh in this sim)I don't want to learn it properly.

That's half the fun.

Would be a very boring sim if you done everything by the letter.

Watching adept pilots on you tube is so boring because you know he's going to hit everytime.

I prefer the pilots that have fun.

I am not a narcissist.

Well in online server the only non consisting thing about levelbombing is wind and opposition . I do very often go level bombing on non GPS servers. I do not want to spend a hour climbing and maneuvering just to drop my bombs randomly miles away from the target, nor fly just to be a easy target practice for enemy fighters. 

What des this got to do being narcissist? Aiming at the target and drop the bomb is boring in itself, because you hit it no matter what if you set the aiming device right, in this sim and in COD. I have hit ships from 5 K in COD. But I tell you it is boring to miss them. The fun thing about it is navigating and finding the target, and maybe shoot down a attacking 109. I enjoy the whining afterward " sniper gunners" and all that. Most of the time it is I that get shot down. 

So going out there and blow stuff up require learning to hit it