I love VR in IL2. I have 3 screens and trackir and once I tried the planes in VR I couldn't go back. With the tanks was a little odd at the beggining because nausea, but now I am ok with that. The problem comes for several issues I found in the release of the recent campaigns of Tank Crew, and I think this points would help the title a lot:
1. The zoomed ainmed reticle in the gunner station need to be reworked. It has to be fixed independently where you are looking with the VR. That may produce nausea? maybe at the beggining, but I think that feature is of huge importance.
With the zoomed aim reticle you are zoomed, and a little motion in the angle is a huge distance covered 2 or 3 km away from your tank. And VR MOVES and makes NOISE movements a lot, making almost imposible or a nightmare to aim. Even I would remove the option to zoom in that sight, as the optics are already zoomed in, but that is not the most important part.
2. Radio and mission instructions needs to be fixed in zoomed aim reticles. As those zoomed reticles they are zoomed in 3D (and moved with VR head position) the text (and menus also) of the radios and mission instructions appears zoomed in, making them very difficult to read. So I have to go to gunner normal view (out of sight) and read the instructions, loosing a great time to react to enemy lines. Please make them smaller text and more centered (would be nice to allow us to position the radio msg were we want as it was in IL2-CoD).
That, or locate the voice to english all the russian and German speaking XDD
3. It is a shame to not use the 3D sights in the normal gunner positions (not the zoomed in aim sights view). They would be incredible to be used in VR just putting our eyes close to them. The reticle lines and numbers (which cannot be read as they appear as pixels), moves relative to the horizont. Maybe if you could use the colimated reticles system you use in the planes, that could be solved (and more resolution in the sight texture to see the numbers).
For the imposibility to have a different FOV looking the normal space and through the reticle at the same time, you could magnet the view of VR to the 3D sight with a button or with proximity, and make the VRZoom button, zoom in as much as the reticle allow (of course all the 3D would be zoomed in, but as you are magnet to the reticle with the press of that button, then it doesn't matter to much).
4. In VR is a bit difficult to find keys, so I put everything to my joystick. In SteelBeast we move the vehicle turret with the joystick. More axis deflection, more speed in movement. BUT this cannot be done in tank crew, as to move the turret, with joystick, same movement will move the planes roll and pitch, as IL2 allows to use the same buttons-axis for lots of functions. I am using a program called Joy2key to move it, but at its lowest sensivity value, it is still very sensitive!! It is very dificult to aim a target that is 2-3km away (and with VR motion noise look more!!!). So I would like to see a "move turret left-right" and "move turret elevation" options in the key controls, that only do that function. And that allows to use the axis deflection to be more speed or slow in motion.
5. I still didn't try the orders of the commander, but saw a video with it. I think you can order the circle to point a target for the gunner, isn't it? In VR again, we have the difficulty to find where is our mouse located to grab it and point in the right direction. Maybe if you center the circle in VR and with the VRZoomed in, you press the button to select the target is closed to it, would be enough. Maybe that is already implemented so sorry for that.
6. Correct the disappearing of all vehicles (Enemies or not) that are not in the front of the tank. I suspect is a performance feature, that is good in the driver (if not with the head out), and gunner (again if not with the head out), but the commander needs to see all around!!
Thanks in advance for reading and considering modifications for good of lovers of tanks.