from 2017 on is was really hyped after anounce career mode for BoK. I was reading forums every hour, i bought famous books about german and russian air war over kuban. After several weeks trying and retrying i am was really disappointed. The new campaign is in many ways better then the old one, but it is still worse in many aspect then the old IL2 campaign from 2002.
My biggest conerns are:
1. The bad KI. As most of you know the KI is not the best. But what is really killing me most, are the suicide tendencies. KI is attacking enemies in really dangerous situations. KI is maneuvering in very low heights. KI is fighting outnumbered with very bad tactics. KI is rarely using best tactics with the current plane (hold energy for german planes).
2. Mission design. The mission design is also questionable. In most of my current german carreer my squadron is complety outnumbered. That is ok and might be realistic. But the mission design and the flight leader KI are so deadly that from the first enemy contact on, you are only trying to survive and can not try to fullfill the mission. 2 small examples:
- bombing mission with 4 BF 109 from II/JG52 50km behind enemy lines in 500m altitude. At target intercepted by 8 Yaks/LaGG from 3km above and plenty of flak. After shooting down 6 planes, i was chased by enemy for 60km. My comrades did not survived the first attack
- intercept mission for anapa airfield. Anapa holding 2-3 squadrons but the mission design forced my flight leader to intercept 12 A-20 bomber with 6 LaGG escort with only 4 Bf109 from very low altitude. Flight leader attacks from a very bad position not trying to gain altitude. After the first pass 3/4 109er were killed. Where were other squadrons?
3. Radio. The radio is in so many ways worse to old IL2. There is no communication between flight. You can not ask for help or will never be warned. After first enemy contact you are alone and you rarely see any other comrade again. Why the game is telling me that i am attacking, or that i am landing? Enemy is reported by myself, but i dont see anyone or no friend is coming alone to support. As a flight leader i dont feel my flight is doing what it has to do. In old IL2 your own flight was many times close to you and tried to support. In BoK you fly alone and you often die alone.
Those problems making the BoK carreer very disapointing to me. I want to fly in famous JG52 but after 3-4 days the whole squadron is wiped out. I am the only one with some kills. Dont get me wrong but the current campaing lacks in so many ways. Are there any plans by the developers to improve KI/radio and mission design? After 4 years i dont understand that it is so much below old IL2 standard. I bought BoBP but i am scared that carrer will disapoint me again like in BoS,BoM and now with BoK (sure it was a great improvement).